PDA

View Full Version : Women at the Well

stlcardinals5
Oct 20th 2013, 02:19 PM
Thought everyone would enjoy this to start your Sunday! This is Part 1 of 7 in series called "The Stranger" they came out a few years ago...I'll post the rest in the coming weeks.Please pass them around to anyone you think it could help!:)

<font color="#000000"><span style="font-family: Verdana">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&amp;v=iOFK0eQEa38

Nick
Oct 21st 2013, 01:50 AM
This woman was actually the first Christian apostle. She was commissioned to spread the Gospel before any of the disciples.

Banislam
Oct 21st 2013, 02:09 AM
This woman was actually the first Christian apostle. She was commissioned to spread the Gospel before any of the disciples.

Can't say I agree she was an apostle. A disciple yes.

To be an apostle she would have to been chosen or hand picked by Christ to be one. Apostles and prophets were office bearers. She was disciple.

Nick
Oct 21st 2013, 02:25 AM
Can't say I agree she was an apostle. A disciple yes.

To be an apostle she would have to been chosen or hand picked by Christ to be one. Apostles and prophets were office bearers. She was disciple.

Jesus chose her, a gentile woman, to reveal his true identity to the Gentiles paving the way for Paul. The only account of this story is written in John, which came much later. None of the other Synoptic gospels mention her.

"Many Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman's testimony, “He told me all that I ever did.” So when the Samaritans came to him, they asked him to stay with them, and he stayed there two days. And many more believed because of his word. They said to the woman, “It is no longer because of what you said that we believe, for we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this is indeed the Savior of the world.”

Banislam
Oct 21st 2013, 02:57 AM
Jesus chose her, a gentile woman, to reveal his true identity to the Gentiles paving the way for Paul. The only account of this story is written in John, which came much later. None of the other Synoptic gospels mention her.

"Many Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman's testimony, “He told me all that I ever did.” So when the Samaritans came to him, they asked him to stay with them, and he stayed there two days. And many more believed because of his word. They said to the woman, “It is no longer because of what you said that we believe, for we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this is indeed the Savior of the world.”

Where do you see her being chosen by Christ as an apostle?

Nick
Oct 21st 2013, 04:47 AM
Where do you see her being chosen by Christ as an apostle?

She was the first sent by Christ to give her testimony of the Messiah.

Banislam
Oct 21st 2013, 11:50 AM
She was the first sent by Christ to give her testimony of the Messiah.

That doesn't make her an apostle. The word apostle does mean messenger but not all messengers are apostles. But all apostles were messengers. An apostle must have been specifically hand picked to be an apostle by Christ. OR must have witnessed the resurrection or ascension. Another thing is that apostles were office holders in the emerging church.

The woman was sent but she was not an apostle.

imreedemed
Oct 21st 2013, 01:15 PM
Come on, we don't have to debate over everything. Our brother posted a well- meaning clip for our edification and not a basis for another argument. God bless

Banislam
Oct 21st 2013, 01:24 PM
Come on, we don't have to debate over everything. Our brother posted a well- meaning clip for our edification and not a basis for another argument. God bless

If I see something incorrect I will speak my mind to whoever I want to!

If you don't like it don't contribute!

The woman wasn't an apostle. I was replying to Nick anyway. The OP didn't mention anything about her being an apostle.

keck553
Oct 21st 2013, 06:29 PM
If I see something incorrect I will speak my mind to whoever I want to!

If you don't like it don't contribute!

The woman wasn't an apostle. I was replying to Nick anyway. The OP didn't mention anything about her being an apostle.

yes, we need to keep Scripturally sound, and that means pointing out error.

keck553
Oct 21st 2013, 06:34 PM

i wouldn't characterize her as a gentile. after all, it was Yisra'el's well.

The whole point of the encounter was about where/how God is to be worshipped anyway.

Nick
Oct 21st 2013, 06:40 PM
That doesn't make her an apostle. The word apostle does mean messenger but not all messengers are apostles. But all apostles were messengers. An apostle must have been specifically hand picked to be an apostle by Christ. OR must have witnessed the resurrection or ascension. Another thing is that apostles were office holders in the emerging church.

The woman was sent but she was not an apostle.

That all depends on how you define "apostle". The biblical AND dictionary definition of an apostle is: Envoy, ambassador, or messenger commissioned to carry out the instructions of the commissioning agent.

I think she falls under that category, as do all believers.

keck553
Oct 21st 2013, 10:18 PM
That all depends on how you define "apostle". The biblical AND dictionary definition of an apostle is: Envoy, ambassador, or messenger commissioned to carry out the instructions of the commissioning agent.

Very loosely perhaps, but The Book of Revelation restricts the Title to the twelve. At any rate, the twelve Apostles were "Talmudim" (disciples or students of a Rabbi) before the resurrection because the Gospel message was not fulfilled until that point. The woman at the well was neither when she ran into town and told her story.

Banislam
Oct 23rd 2013, 02:55 AM

An apostle is an appointed position in the church. To be one you either had to be hand picked by Christ or have witnessed the resurrection or ascension. And they fizzled out after the first century just like prophets did. There are no more prophets or apostles. Today we are disciples and are able to prophesy.
You can read what I wrote about them here.

http://www.blacksheepprophecies.com/prophets-and-apostles.html

Redeemed by Grace
Oct 23rd 2013, 02:27 PM

Er... it's a nit for sure, but agree with the others that the the office of Apostle was an elite group Jesus chose from among many disciples. Luke writes the closest to a chronological order than Matthew and Mark, for in Luke 6 starting with verse 12 we see Jesus now needing to elect 'His Government" so to speak, and named them as Apostles. This transpired very close to the middle of His 3 year ministry.

As to Mary, I'd also agree that she testified to others who Jesus was, but there were other disciples doing the same. The culmination of Jesus' selection of His 12 then enters into the Beatitudes which had a polarizing effect on those who were following. Jesus was looking at his newly appointed Apostles, yet talking openly to all who were on the mountain.

I know many nurses and physician's assistance that know a lot about health, and some would rival many trained licensed doctors, but I wouldn't call them a doctor, based on their background and degree conferred. I see similarly that Jesus didn't call Mary to Apostleship, but she was a very devoted disciple.

Nick
Oct 23rd 2013, 03:53 PM
Er... it's a nit for sure, but agree with the others that the the office of Apostle was an elite group Jesus chose from among many disciples. Luke writes the closest to a chronological order than Matthew and Mark, for in Luke 6 starting with verse 12 we see Jesus now needing to elect 'His Government" so to speak, and named them as Apostles. This transpired very close to the middle of His 3 year ministry.

As to Mary, I'd also agree that she testified to others who Jesus was, but there were other disciples doing the same. The culmination of Jesus' selection of His 12 then enters into the Beatitudes which had a polarizing effect on those who were following. Jesus was looking at his newly appointed Apostles, yet talking openly to all who were on the mountain.

I know many nurses and physician's assistance that know a lot about health, and some would rival many trained licensed doctors, but I wouldn't call them a doctor, based on their background and degree conferred. I see similarly that Jesus didn't call Mary to Apostleship, but she was a very devoted disciple.

I know. It was an attempt by me to get those intellectual juices flowing. Today we have missionaries and church planters, not apostles, but I figured it was an interesting point to discuss so I had to take a position.

Boo
Oct 24th 2013, 09:15 AM
Perhaps y'all should just agree to capitalize Apostle when you are referring to the group that followed Jesus and use the small "a" when you are speaking of one "who was sent."

That way, each post does not become an argument, OK?

Nick
Oct 24th 2013, 05:07 PM
Perhaps y'all should just agree to capitalize Apostle when you are referring to the group that followed Jesus and use the small "a" when you are speaking of one "who was sent."

That way, each post does not become an argument, OK?

Actually, that is what I've done.

Boo
Oct 25th 2013, 09:29 AM
Actually, that is what I've done.

It is not what others have done.

Aviyah
Oct 25th 2013, 05:36 PM
There are no more prophets or apostles.

There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work. (1 Cor. 12:4-6)

So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. (Eph. 4:11-12)

So no more need for evangelists, pastors, and teachers too?

keck553
Oct 25th 2013, 05:42 PM
New Testament "prophets" had a dual meaning, depending on context. Usually a New Testament prophet was a teacher who taught from the Word of God.

Oregongrown
Oct 25th 2013, 07:18 PM

I agree, seems like sometimes we just wander about looking for things to argue or disagree about.

The 12 disciples became apostles so if you want to argue Banislam, you might have to figure out if the woman at the well was not just a disciple, but did she become an apostle that we don't hear anymore about. God didn't tell us everything, only what He saw we needed to live in a fallen world.

denise, a sister in Christ

Balabusha
Oct 26th 2013, 05:27 PM
this passage has so much spiritual significance, it is a waste to argue over semantics, Jesus was drinking with a Samaritan, and Jews would not do this because it would be unclean, Jesus teaches a woman, even to His disciples dismay that it was a waste of time, Jesus teaches that the Temple will be a waste of time, and that everyone will come together to worship in truth. Jesus instructs her about "living water" which in Tanakh terms was divine activity..a person could go all day on the theological gems in this passage.

keck553
Oct 27th 2013, 01:40 AM
this passage has so much spiritual significance, it is a waste to argue over semantics, Jesus was drinking with a Samaritan, and Jews would not do this because it would be unclean, Jesus teaches a woman, even to His disciples dismay that it was a waste of time, Jesus teaches that the Temple will be a waste of time, and that everyone will come together to worship in truth. Jesus instructs her about "living water" which in Tanakh terms was divine activity..a person could go all day on the theological gems in this passage.

yes, this is the core lesson from this encounter. It's not about the woman, its about Jesus

Boo
Oct 27th 2013, 09:11 AM
yes, this is the core lesson from this encounter. It's not about the woman, its about Jesus

If you say so, however, this serves as a great illustration as to how Israel acted out their air of superiority for so long because they were God's chosen people. Christians do the same thing today since some of them feel that they are God's chosen people as well. Jesus broke all that man-made tradition in what He did at the well. And that woman may have broken some traditions in carrying her witness to the people.

Traditions do more damage than some of us realize.

Balabusha
Oct 29th 2013, 05:07 AM
Traditions can be dangerous-good job boo

Balabusha
Oct 29th 2013, 05:08 AM

It is all about Messiah! Amen bro