PDA

View Full Version : Chronological??

Oregongrown
Oct 22nd 2013, 03:47 PM
As I understand chronological, it means in the order the "events" happened. Last night I was reading in Genesis, and I know many of you are going to crack up because this, same thing happened to you, but I am reading along in Chapter 10, near the end:

Genesis 10:31
31 These were the sons of Shem, according to their families, according to their languages, in their lands, according to their nations.

So now onto Chapter 11:

Genesis 11:1
11:1 Now the whole earth had one language and one speech.

:lol::pp:rofl:

Actually, I didn't laugh at the time, I just sort of let all the air out of me with a giant "WHAT" sigh.:B

Ok, so I read a quick commentary about it and it said something to the effect that the dividing of the families, languages etc. may have meant after the separating at Babel. My question is, why is the bible not already in chronological order? If the commentary is right that is, which I'm not saying it is, but it makes sense. It's another of those "creation" type readings where it can sound like 2 separate accounts of creation which I don't believe. I believe it is one, one short quick version, then God expounds on it (detailed/exposition).

Ok, so that is the main topic though, why is our bible just not in order to begin with, if you also believe it is not? I feel God is messin with my head, and if I am truly trusting Him, I suppose I need my head messed with:lol:

luigi
Oct 22nd 2013, 04:02 PM
As I understand chronological, it means in the order the "events" happened. Last night I was reading in Genesis, and I know many of you are going to crack up because this, same thing happened to you, but I am reading along in Chapter 10, near the end:

31 These were the sons of Shem, according to their families, according to their languages, in their lands, according to their nations.

So now onto Chapter 11:

Actually, I didn't laugh at the time, I just sort of let all the air out of me with a giant "WHAT" sigh.:B

Ok, so I read a quick commentary about it and it said something to the effect that the dividing of the families, languages etc. may have meant after the separating at Babel. My question is, why is the bible not already in chronological order? If the commentary is right that is, which I'm not saying it is, but it makes sense. It's another of those "creation" type readings where it can sound like 2 separate accounts of creation which I don't believe. I believe it is one, one short quick version, then God expounds on it (detailed/exposition).

Ok, so that is the main topic though, why is our bible just not in order to begin with, if you also believe it is not? I feel God is messin with my head, and if I am truly trusting Him, I suppose I need my head messed with:lol:
Hi again Oregongrown,
Another thread on this forum that touches upon the families of the earth is: "I have a doubt on Adam and Eve".
My first reply on that thread is post number 29

Oregongrown
Oct 22nd 2013, 04:17 PM
Hi again Oregongrown,
Another thread on this forum that touches upon the families of the earth is: "I have a doubt on Adam and Eve".
My first reply on that thread is post number 29

Ok Luigi, wish I'd known, researched better, didn't need to do another post, oh well, I'll go look and thank you bro!! ysic, denise

Oregongrown
Oct 22nd 2013, 04:22 PM
Ok Luigi, wish I'd known, researched better, didn't need to do another post, oh well, I'll go look and thank you bro!! ysic, denise

Ok, that wasn't what I am looking at in my post Luigi, so I won't address your #29. Thank you anyway though. denise, a sister in Christ

luigi
Oct 22nd 2013, 04:30 PM
I've posted new posts on subjects that were already out there on this forum, because I was unaware of their being there. I think many of the posts here have many similar topics as other posts, as yours which is not exactly the same as the thread I mentioned.

Oregongrown
Oct 22nd 2013, 04:38 PM
I've posted new posts on subjects that were already out there on this forum, because I was unaware of their being there. I think many of the posts here have many similar topics as other posts, as yours which is not exactly the same as the thread I mentioned.

Yes, and I have done searches that don't bring up what I am looking for, and then later find out there is something way similar out there already;)

gotta eat breakfast, bbs, denise

Old man
Oct 22nd 2013, 04:38 PM

So now onto Chapter 11:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ……. Can I mess with it more some? Please? :pray:

You may find that the Holy Spirit inspired much of the Bible to be purpose driven in other words He is inspiring according to the purpose He wants to achieve therefore not necessarily sticking with the chronology when it suits His “purpose”. Take the gospels the only one that I would actually consider to be chronological in nature is Luke. The others are purpose oriented “roughly” following the chronology but not concerned about sticking with it.

Genesis is more chronologically oriented but not above going back to cover something in more detail as needed to set up a more detailed foundation for what is coming up.

At least that how I view it.

keck553
Oct 22nd 2013, 04:47 PM

You may find that the Holy Spirit inspired much of the Bible to be purpose driven in other words He is inspiring according to the purpose He wants to achieve therefore not necessarily sticking with the chronology when it suits His “purpose”. Take the gospels the only one that I would actually consider to be chronological in nature is Luke. The others are purpose oriented “roughly” following the chronology but not concerned about sticking with it.

Genesis is more chronologically oriented but not above going back to cover something in more detail as needed to set up a more detailed foundation for what is coming up.

kinda like Genesis 2 and 1

Old man
Oct 22nd 2013, 04:50 PM

Or 1 and 2. ;) :D

jayne
Oct 22nd 2013, 04:57 PM
Genesis 10 and 11 are backwards chronologically speaking or at the very least they overlap greatly. Genesis 10 tell you about all of Noah's desendandants and their specific languages. Genesis 11 gives a flashback and tells you how each tribe GOT those languages.

In the detailed stories of the patriarchs and their families, some chapters overlap each other just as in ANY complicated story in a novel would do.

Oregongrown
Oct 22nd 2013, 04:58 PM

:lol: Now I know God's out to get me if He sent you OM;)

I tend to think you have a very, good point here. At the very least, it keeps me on my toes. Like, Ok, trust Me(God), because I am renewing your mind, towards thinking more like Me(God), and less like humanoids?:idea:

Oregongrown
Oct 22nd 2013, 05:01 PM
Genesis 10 and 11 are backwards chronologically speaking or at the very least they overlap greatly. Genesis 10 tell you about all of Noah's desendandants and their specific languages. Genesis 11 gives a flashback and tells you how each tribe GOT those languages.

In the detailed stories of the patriarchs and their families, some chapters overlap each other just as in ANY complicated story in a novel would do.

Why do you think God did that, in that order? That's my main question Jayne. Is God just keeping us on our toes or what? ;) denise, ysic

Oregongrown
Oct 22nd 2013, 05:05 PM

Yes, I agree it is like Gen. 2 and 1. Now that I am seeing this, in two places now, I am understanding the why some bible reading plans are called chronological, but I prefer to read the bible as it is, God must have a purpose in that?? denise, and good morning, ysic

jayne
Oct 22nd 2013, 05:08 PM
Why do you think God did that, in that order? That's my main question Jayne. Is God just keeping us on our toes or what? ;) denise, ysic

Well, to me, it's kind of like chapter 10 is a broad and general overview or introduction to several things after the Flood (nations, genealogies, events, and land divisions) and chapter 11 picks one of the events in chapter 10 and gives more specific detail.

There's more in the Bible that's not chronological. It's begins with the beginning and ends with the end, but in between there are flashbacks and lots of other sequential deviations.

Oregongrown
Oct 22nd 2013, 05:19 PM
Well, to me, it's kind of like chapter 10 is a broad and general overview or introduction to several things after the Flood (nations, genealogies, events, and land divisions) and chapter 11 picks one of the events in chapter 10 and gives more specific detail.

There's more in the Bible that's not chronological. It's begins with the beginning and ends with the end, but in between there are flashbacks and lots of other sequential deviations.

Yes, just like in Gen. 1 & 2, ok, I am seeing this is going to be an "ongoing" thing in the bible so now I will just know that just because the next chapter or book follows, it may be either a "exposition", or, also, if there is a "chronological ordered bible" that is because things are organized so they are in order of the time they happened. I'm thinking that must be why the chronoligical bible.

denise, ysic

and thank you much!

Oregongrown
Oct 22nd 2013, 05:20 PM
Or 1 and 2. ;) :D

Ok young man, I will send you to the corner if you don't behave:lol:

Old man
Oct 22nd 2013, 05:33 PM
Ok young man, I will send you to the corner if you don't behave:lol:

AAAhhhhh! :( And I was "just thinking" about going over to your "King of Tyre alias satan" thread and hitting a hornet's nest with a stick. :hmm: .... But to the corner I go.

Oregongrown
Oct 22nd 2013, 05:49 PM
AAAhhhhh! :( And I was "just thinking" about going over to your "King of Tyre alias satan" thread and hitting a hornet's nest with a stick. :hmm: .... But to the corner I go.

Don't hesitate to go over to that thread, I love to hit a hornet's nest with a stick, LOL!! Consider yourself out on a "get outa jail free" card. Can't give you an "out" on good behavior:rofl:

carboy
Oct 22nd 2013, 08:33 PM
Your making a good observation. There is a chronology to the bible but not a strict one. It prepares us for the last book that is also chronological but also concurrent. That is it doesn't cleanly read chronological but some try and make the book of Revelation read that clean, and really shouldn't. Is, was and is to come.

If you look at Exodus 19: 14-20 we see a historic event that "was". God said He would raise up a prophet like unto Moses who we know to be the Messiah Jesus. So when we read 14 and 15 especially we see this being fulfilled by Jesus and "is" to this day. In verse 20 Moses went up as did Jesus. We are now waiting for this experience ourselves of being presented before God on the third day when a sound of a trumpet and much shaking and clouds will be present. But that "is to come". Our consecration and clean linen are found in Jesus.

Their experiences are our experiences, these things are written for our learning that we wouldn't make the same mistakes as they did. Is, was and is to come. One day we who are in Jesus will be before the Lord God almighty. Incredible scripture to meditate on. The bible while chronological is also concurrent. It just may be possible the Word has more meaning for us today than at any other time in history. Just a thought.

I know this doesn't directly deal with the scripture you presented but sometimes we miss a picture the scriptures are painting by placing a strict, calculated time line on things. I'm finding as I get older how fluid, vast and integrated the Word is.

Oregongrown
Oct 22nd 2013, 08:47 PM
Your making a good observation. There is a chronology to the bible but not a strict one. It prepares us for the last book that is also chronological but also concurrent. That is it doesn't cleanly read chronological but some try and make the book of Revelation read that clean, and really shouldn't. Is, was and is to come.

If you look at Exodus 19: 14-20 we see a historic event that "was". God said He would raise up a prophet like unto Moses who we know to be the Messiah Jesus. So when we read 14 and 15 especially we see this being fulfilled by Jesus and "is" to this day. In verse 20 Moses went up as did Jesus. We are now waiting for this experience ourselves of being presented before God on the third day when a sound of a trumpet and much shaking and clouds will be present. But that "is to come". Our consecration and clean linen are found in Jesus.

Their experiences are our experiences, these things are written for our learning that we wouldn't make the same mistakes as they did. Is, was and is to come. One day we who are in Jesus will be before the Lord God almighty. Incredible scripture to meditate on. The bible while chronological is also concurrent. It just may be possible the Word has more meaning for us today than at any other time in history. Just a thought.

I know this doesn't directly deal with the scripture you presented but sometimes we miss a picture the scriptures are painting by placing a strict, calculated time line on things. I'm finding as I get older how fluid, vast and integrated the Word is.

Thank you for this CB,

the more I read of the bible, the more things are opening up to me. I have never experienced such an understanding (and I am just starting) with just going to church, and "just" listening to others. I know we need people in our lives, but also, I am really struggling with some things that I don't understand. I'll just keep at it:) God bless, denise, ysic