PDA

View Full Version : Old Testament Format?

Old man
Oct 24th 2013, 03:05 AM
I understand that the current method of dividing up the scriptures (i.e. chapter and verses) is a rather current development; meaning they were not part of the original manuscripts. In regards to the Old Testament is there a structural format in the originals that give us a clue as to where one thought (sentence or by our standards paragraph) begins and ends? Or did everything just run on with no punctuation like the NT Greek?

Balabusha
Oct 24th 2013, 03:35 AM
Ah-you nailed it!
The Tanakh was broken up into a thought pattern, with many different writing styles different than today.
In. Hebrew there is even a memory code, the Hebrew alphabet advances with each thought as the text advances. Then there are paralellism and chiasmus. So if you see "the Lord said" and a bit later you see "the Lord said". You know that you are at the end of the thought ryhme (pattern) with the middle being the key point.
The words of God or a key point is usually in a poetic song.
I can go further if you are interested, but it is a huge topic, and no book is the same.

Old man
Oct 24th 2013, 04:48 AM
How confident are you in the division that has been created by using the chapter/verse system as far as keeping the integrity of the passage context whole? In the New Testament there are numerous instances where the thought or context ends in the middle of a verse and a new one starts in the middle to finish the numbered verse. In other words did the translators do a good job in the OT with the verse numbering as far as completing a thought at the end of a verse rather than in the middle?

Balabusha
Oct 24th 2013, 05:46 AM
I think they did a pretty good job, there are some mistakes, but once a chapter/verse system is set up it would be chaos to change it. I ignore the verses and chapters and just read the passage, I use chapter and verse for reference-not thought pattern or context..the Bible is a whole