PDA

View Full Version : Scripture showing all of our spirit is in our heart?

bob777
Oct 24th 2013, 03:56 AM
I read on a churches website that says our heart consists of all of our soul (mind, will, and emotion) and all of our spirit (conscience, fellowship, and intuition).

Can anyone tell me the verses that indicate all of our spirit is within our heart?

Thanks,
Bob

Nick
Oct 24th 2013, 05:46 AM
Mt. 15:19 "For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander." That would be an example of an evil or unrighteous spirit.

Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself in the Lord,and he will give you the desires of your heart." That would be an example of a righteous Spirit.

Walls
Oct 24th 2013, 07:47 AM
I read on a churches website that says our heart consists of all of our soul (mind, will, and emotion) and all of our spirit (conscience, fellowship, and intuition).

Can anyone tell me the verses that indicate all of our spirit is within our heart?

Thanks,
Bob

Hi Bob, welcome to the Forum.

The heart is made of all the soul (mind, emotions and will) and one part of the spirit, the conscience. Here are the references.

The HEART is made up of one part of the Spirit, the Conscience (Heb.10:22; 1st Jn.3:20), and the total of the Soul, the Mind (Matt.9:4; Gen.6:5; Heb.4:12), The Emotions (Jn.16:6, 22) and Will (Act.11:23,; Heb.4:12).

Hope this helps.

Curtis
Oct 24th 2013, 02:26 PM

Thanks,
Bob

Sometimes in scripture the heart is referring to mans soul, sometimes to mans spirit. I like the way Jesus describes the heart of man.....

Mar 12:29 Jesus answered, "The most important is, 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.
Mar 12:30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.'

Jesus separates the soul from the heart. Man is spirit, soul, and body. The soul of man is where he is conscience of the spiritual, and physical world. God speaks to mans spirit and in turn the soul is aware of this. Mans body contacts the physical world in which his soul is also aware of. It is in the soul of man that he makes his choice as to what he will believe, and or what actions he will make based on input from his spirit or body.

bob777
Oct 25th 2013, 05:01 AM
Hi Nick, Walls, and Curtis:

Thank you all for your information as I try to understand this.

Walls, your verses seem to back up one part Spirit (conscience), and all of the Soul make up the heart.

Mark 12:30 says: And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' As Curtis said, this verse shows Jesus separates the heart from the soul. However, I'm having troubling visualizing the heart being all of the soul and one part spirit (conscience)...and still being separate from the soul.

Maybe I should think of the heart as a container of the soul and conscience, as opposed to being made up of the soul and conscience? If it is a container then I guess I can see how it can be separate from the soul as said in Mark 12:30.

Would love to hear comments on this.

Thanks much

Walls
Oct 25th 2013, 06:25 AM

Walls, your verses seem to back up one part Spirit (conscience), and all of the Soul make up the heart.

Mark 12:30 says: And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' As Curtis said, this verse shows Jesus separates the heart from the soul. However, I'm having troubling visualizing the heart being all of the soul and one part spirit (conscience)...and still being separate from the soul.

Maybe I should think of the heart as a container of the soul and conscience, as opposed to being made up of the soul and conscience? If it is a container then I guess I can see how it can be separate from the soul as said in Mark 12:30.

Thanks much

I think Mark 12;30 refers to our whole being, and the separations mentioned go from general to specific for emphasis. The first clue to this is the use of the word "strength." While some people display "strength" of character, I believe that the "strength" mentioned here is the general strength that drives all of man. Vine says that the Greek word can be equally rendered "ability". It is used in Ephesians 1:19 and 6:10 to denote God's power. So this "strength" or "ability" is not a specific part of man, but is an attribute. If I took you to a race day of Formula 1 cars and was allowed to show you a car in detail, I would say; "Everything about this car, it as a complete unit, its engine, its chassis, its gearbox and its center of gravity, are all made to allow the car to go at maximum speed."

I could have stopped at; "... it as a complete unit...", for that would be correct, but I wanted to expand on the individual parts, to bring your attention to them, to emphasize them.

Conversely, if we take them as completely separate items then we have to say that the heart is separate and does not contain the soul. The soul is separate, and does not contain the mind. And the "strength" or "ability" of men is completely divorced from their hearts, souls and minds. This is unreasonable as we all know from our own experience that top athletes succeed because of the perfect harmony of all of these in one effort.

I personally do not look at this verse as divorcing the parts and attribute mentioned. I look at it as emphasis by the Lord.

As to only one part of the spirit being part of the soul, both scripture and experience confirm this. The other parts of the spirit are, (i) fellowship and (ii) intuition. There are no scriptures joining these two to your heart. And if you've been a Christian for a while and do exercise your spirit to stay in contact with God's indwelling Holy Spirit, you will know that these are channels of communication that do not affect your heart internally. Rather, they connect your heart to God. But when something touches your conscience - oh how you feel it in your heart!

sooninzion
Oct 25th 2013, 07:13 AM
Let me join you.. because I find it interesting.

Can we look at body and soul of men as two distinctly different and independent entities and then try to attribute all the characteristics differently to both?

The BODY of flesh of the man has physical SHAPE (form and likeness), HEART (a motor to pump blood that has life in) and a MIND of understanding (sheer ability of brain which we call conscience)

The Soul (not of flesh) of the man has a spiritual SHAPE (form and likeness), HEART (of all that we call features of heart: feelings, emotion, intuition, fellowship..... all spiritual) and a MIND of spiritual wisdom. (Ref 1 Corinthians 15:44)

Now EMBED one on the other: Soul into the Body:- We become what we are Physically and Spiritually together.

We know that we have physical life in our blood and so in our body therefore we are as alive as any other Pagan, Gentile, unbeliever and animals because we are not physically dead.

The question is whether we have LIFE in our Soul.

Here is where SPIRIT comes into give life. The Spirit does not give physical life. 'Breath of God' that was breathed into the nostrils of first man gave him physical life which is the same today too.

Now we will learn to distinguish between SPIRIT AND CONSCIENCE: Both are full of 'WORDS'. Words build up both. All the words of Christ / the Lord together is the Spirit. All human words together is called 'collective conscience'. All the words of intellect that have come out of human brain ever is called 'COLLECTIVE CONSCIENCE' and each one has his share.

'CONSCIENCE' is the 'FRUIT of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil'

'The SPIRIT' is the 'fruit of the tree of LIFE'

'CONSCIENCE' is 'the forbidden fruit' which we shall not eat "if you will eat of it you shall surely die".

A share of the collective conscience each one has; produces his 'EGO'. A man's profile of himself. With which he 'holds his head high'. That is why we bow before the Lord.

Now a man's ego can be high, benign or low; among which the benign ones are highly esteemed because "they are humble in spirit and contrite in heart". You will find 'High' and 'Low' among the unsaved people of the world.

I think this post is getting longer. Therefore one request to the those who read this post.

If your EGO is not very high or very low; you may comment or ask questions. If I cannot answer; I will say "I can't"

Thank you for reading

Walls
Oct 25th 2013, 08:06 AM
Let me join you.. because I find it interesting.

Can we look at body and soul of men as two distinctly different and independent entities and then try to attribute all the characteristics differently to both?

The BODY of flesh of the man has physical SHAPE (form and likeness), HEART (a motor to pump blood that has life in) and a MIND of understanding (sheer ability of brain which we call conscience)

The Soul (not of flesh) of the man has a spiritual SHAPE (form and likeness), HEART (of all that we call features of heart: feelings, emotion, intuition, fellowship..... all spiritual) and a MIND of spiritual wisdom. (Ref 1 Corinthians 15:44)

Now EMBED one on the other: Soul into the Body:- We become what we are Physically and Spiritually together.

We know that we have physical life in our blood and so in our body therefore we are as alive as any other Pagan, Gentile, unbeliever and animals because we are not physically dead.

The question is whether we have life in our Soul.

Here is where SPIRIT comes into give life. Spirit does not give physical life. Breath of God that was breathed into the first man gave him physical life which is the same today.

there is more.. i m writing

OK. I appreciate your understanding of the matter.

Scripture is quite specific about the parts of man. In his construction in Genesis 2;7 three diverse and specific entities of man are shown. A body from dust, a spirit from the breath of God, and a soul that was not, but came into being at the mating of dusty body and breath of God. These three parts are again shown in Isaiah 43:7 and 1st Thessalonians 5:23. Their differences are recorded in many other scriptures like Hebrews 4:12 and Mary in Luke 1:46-47. In Matthew 10:28 they are so different that they experience different deaths, one to be ignored and one to be feared. Our Lord Jesus experience both of these deaths. The death of the soul in Gethsemane and the death of the body hours later on Golgotha (Matt.26:38, 27:50). In Ecclesiastes 3:21 and 12:7 the spirit goes upwards to God at death, but the soul always to Sheol, under the earth (Ps.30:3, 49:15 etc.). At our Lord's death these scriptures were confirmed. He commended His spirit to the Father's hand (Lk.23:46), His body went to a tomb on the surface of the earth, but His soul, Him, went to Paradise under the earth (Matt:12:40; Eph.4:9).

At resurrection the soul comes again from Sheol (Hebrew) or Hades (Greek) (1st Ki.17:22) and the spirit returns from God (Lk.8:55).

As man is the temple of God and the Temple has three distinct places, so has man. Outer Court which speaks for the body, the Holy Place which speaks for the soul, and the Holy of Holies which speaks for the spirit of man. At rebirth, only the spirit is reborn, not the body or soul (Jn.3:6). Resurrection is only for the body (1st Cor.15:35-39) and transformation from a fallen man to a Christlike man is for the soul (Rom.12:2; 1st Pet.1:3-9). This is important because God has decided on a PLACE to worship Him. It is the spirit, not the soul or body (Jn.4:23-24).

Curtis
Nov 5th 2013, 06:40 PM

Thanks much

The spirit of man and his soul are hard to separate because they are both spiritual parts. This is why the Bible tells......

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Only the Word can separate these two parts of man. The rebirth spirit is the part of man that can not sin, because it was born again of the incorruptible seed of the Word of God.
The soul of man is where we determined what our actions will be based on input from either the spirit of man or his physical senses.

1Jn 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

We sin because of our human nature, not our new nature that is from God.
this is were Satan entices us to fall.....