PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a Nook Tablet to read the bible?

Oregongrown
Oct 24th 2013, 04:04 PM
the reason I want to meet some others that may be using the Nook, is that it's become "part of me" you might say;) It is so easy for me to hold/handle. It's hard for me to sit at my desk and even set my laptop on my lap and read.

I am trying to find something for my Nook Tablet (Barnes and Noble supplies only I think) that would be easy to navigate, that includes The Bible (I like NKJV but would consider another if necessary), commentary, and maybe even a dictionary, all in one kind of thing? Right now, I read the Word, then I have to go on the web (through my Nook) and search for commentary, so it would be so much easier if I could have a bible with a commentary (maybe some sort of app like Esword but Nook doesnt' have it, not that I have found)

Any help appreciated. I can't afford to buy something else, but I would spend money if not too expensive, for something from Barnes and Noble. If anyone knows anything else I can load onto my Nook, help on that would be appreciated as well;)

Denise, ysic PS holding the little nook, which I have a sort of "book-like" cover for it, is like holding a book, so I like that for reading

Redeemed by Grace
Oct 24th 2013, 04:31 PM
I use Olivetree apps on my PC, iPad, Iphone, Androde phone and buy new books that way... it links and searches through all platforms and Have about 100 references commentaries and sermons, along with my personal notes that link together. FWIW

Oregongrown
Oct 24th 2013, 04:45 PM
I use Olivetree apps on my PC, iPad, Iphone, Androde phone and buy new books that way... it links and searches through all platforms and Have about 100 references commentaries and sermons, along with my personal notes that link together. FWIW

Oh thanks, I have seen OliveTree but didn't research to see what all it has, thank you, sooooo much! I will go check it out;) denise, ysic

Oregongrown
Oct 24th 2013, 04:59 PM

Hi again, I wanted to make sure what I am getting. When you say "links" do you mean links within the book, or to an online site? I am hoping I can access commentary without being online, just in case I can't be? I see one for NKJV for 10 dollars which I would spend, as it is worth it to me to have a good, study bible. But if I have a bible, and I have to link to things online, then does it take me to a site online, and then take me right back into the book? Right now, here are the steps I have to take, which I would like to avoid. My Nook Bible is sized for the page, when I want a commentary, I have to click the little N shaped button on my nook, which allows a menu where I choose Web. Then it bring up my commentary page, but I have to search for the chapter and verse first. Then when I am done reading, I hit the N, and select "home" where I then again select my bible. Hope this makes sense. I am hoping for "all in one", denise, ysic

Oregongrown
Oct 24th 2013, 05:34 PM
I just found an OliveTree app that includes a KJV bible, Matthew Henry commentary, Strongs conc., and it's free, so I am hoping I get some positive feedback. I can still read any other materials online or off, but this is all in my Nook, so all-in-one. What do believers here think of Matthew Henry? He is from way back, and he doesn't break things down verse by verse (not that I've seen). But he just sort of writes about what he's studied/read in scriptures.

I would like to get some opinions, pros and cons;) Thank you much, denise, ysic

I'll still use my esword when sitting at the computer etc. so this is just for easy "lookup" when I am reading the Word, like in bed my fave place to read, or my recliner;)

Redeemed by Grace
Oct 25th 2013, 01:10 AM
Hi again, I wanted to make sure what I am getting. When you say "links" do you mean links within the book, or to an online site? I am hoping I can access commentary without being online, just in case I can't be? I see one for NKJV for 10 dollars which I would spend, as it is worth it to me to have a good, study bible. But if I have a bible, and I have to link to things online, then does it take me to a site online, and then take me right back into the book? Right now, here are the steps I have to take, which I would like to avoid. My Nook Bible is sized for the page, when I want a commentary, I have to click the little N shaped button on my nook, which allows a menu where I choose Web. Then it bring up my commentary page, but I have to search for the chapter and verse first. Then when I am done reading, I hit the N, and select "home" where I then again select my bible. Hope this makes sense. I am hoping for "all in one", denise, ysic

The beauty of the OliveTree app is that as your library builds within the App, they all link together. So Commentaries and maps, and references and different translations all have an interoperability. So say you have you NKJV Bible open on the Left Pane of your iPad, the right Pane can sync and scroll as you scroll, all based on the amount of resources you have downloaded. And then if you do highlighting or note taking, if you set it up right, what you do on your iPhone would follow you to your PC and visa versa. It's pretty slick.

There are a lot of different resources that are available, for free, but some are milky and some are a bit off, so discern that which is good and hold those. [1 Thes 5:21]

The other thing is the price can be a bit expense, but they do run sales and that's usually the time I pull the trigger. I have quite a library of hardbound books, but for me to cross reference a verse or two would take hours. Going this path, the cross references follow me as I scroll, OR i can even do a complex search and they all pop up as options in seconds.... Really cool!!!!

Hope this helps....

Oregongrown
Oct 25th 2013, 01:14 AM
I got the free Olive Tree KJV with commentary by Matthew Henry. It says that are 100s of free resources but I can't find them. do I search Nook Apps, or books? I tried doing that but maybe I did it wrong. I love having the option to us ESV or KJV, and the MH commentary so far though:) many thanks, denise, ysic