PDA

View Full Version : Is God Weaker Now?

Aviyah
Oct 24th 2013, 10:20 PM
The title is rhetorical. Why is it that God never does things like this anymore?

Then the angel of God who was going before the host of Israel moved and went behind them, and the pillar of cloud moved from before them and stood behind them,coming between the host of Egypt and the host of Israel. And there was the cloud and the darkness. And it lit up the nightwithout one coming near the other all night. (Ex. 14:19-20)

And the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush. He looked, and behold, the bush was burning, yet it was not consumed. (Ex 3:2)

And the angel of the Lord went out and struck down 185,000 in the camp of the Assyrians. And when people arose early in the morning, behold, these were all dead bodies. (Is. 37:36)

Then the Lord rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the Lord out of the heavens. (Gen 19:24)

And the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, until the nation took vengeance on their enemies. (Josh. 10:13)

He even proved Himself to prophets of Baal:

And at the time of the offering of the oblation, Elijah the prophet came near and said, “O Lord, God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, let it be known this day that you are God in Israel, and that I am your servant, and that I have done all these things at your word. Answer me, O Lord, answer me, that this people may know that you, O Lord, are God, and that you have turned their hearts back.” Then the fire of the Lord fell and consumed the burnt offering and the wood and the stones and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench.And when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces and said, “The Lord, he is God; the Lord, he is God.” (1Ki. 18:36-39)

So why do none of these things happen anymore? Why does God not prove His power?

episkopos
Oct 24th 2013, 11:09 PM
They do happen but God hides His power from the masses. He is no showman.

Aviyah
Oct 24th 2013, 11:13 PM
They do happen but God hides His power from the masses. He is no showman.

But in the case of Elijah vs. the prophets of Baal, God displayed His power to thousands. He also separated the Red Sea and destroyed entire cities like Sodom and Jericho plus entire armies like the Assyrians and Egyptians. These are hard things to conceal especially when you write about it, haha. :rolleyes:

Why does God now conceal Himself?

David Taylor
Oct 24th 2013, 11:14 PM
The title is rhetorical. Why is it that God never does things like this anymore?

Then the angel of God who was going before the host of Israel moved and went behind them, and the pillar of cloud moved from before them and stood behind them,coming between the host of Egypt and the host of Israel. And there was the cloud and the darkness. And it lit up the nightwithout one coming near the other all night. (Ex. 14:19-20)

And the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush. He looked, and behold, the bush was burning, yet it was not consumed. (Ex 3:2)

And the angel of the Lord went out and struck down 185,000 in the camp of the Assyrians. And when people arose early in the morning, behold, these were all dead bodies. (Is. 37:36)

Then the Lord rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the Lord out of the heavens. (Gen 19:24)

And the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, until the nation took vengeance on their enemies. (Josh. 10:13)

And at the time of the offering of the oblation, Elijah the prophet came near and said, “O Lord, God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, let it be known this day that you are God in Israel, and that I am your servant, and that I have done all these things at your word. Answer me, O Lord, answer me, that this people may know that you, O Lord, are God, and that you have turned their hearts back.” Then the fire of the Lord fell and consumed the burnt offering and the wood and the stones and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench.And when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces and said, “The Lord, he is God; the Lord, he is God.” (1Ki. 18:36-39)

So why do none of these things happen anymore? Why does God not prove His power?

We have a better much witness today, than back then. We don't need those types of attention getters. We have something much better.

John 3:14, 12:32 "3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me."

Titus 2:11 "For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men"

Luke 24:25 "Then Jesus said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken: Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory? And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself. And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me. Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures, And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. And ye are witnesses of these things."

pekoe
Oct 25th 2013, 12:19 AM
Hello Aviyah.

Why does God not prove His power?
Because,

"... it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe." 1 Cor.1:21

jayne
Oct 25th 2013, 12:23 AM

Well, think about this. What happened to those people who witnessed the 10 plagues and the cloud by day and pillar of fire by night and the manna miracle. Did they trust God? Nope. They saw things that we could only dream of and still rejected God.

And the Sodom and Gomorrah light show? Lot's wife couldn't see the power of God in it - only the allure of what she left behind burning. And Lot and his daughters? They wouldn't run like they were told to do and just hid in a cave, he got drunk, and the girls had sex with their father.

The 5,000+ who followed Jesus because they saw him heal people and then were miraculously fed by Him ..... it meant nothing to them. The latter part of John 6 says that when He began to talk about Himself being the Bread of Life - they turned their backs on Him.

And even Elijah - who SAW the power of God and His destruction of the prophets of Baal - even HE quickly forgot God's sovereignty when Queen Jezebel threatened him. He hid in a cave and asked God to let him die. God asked Elijah to pay attention. Then the mountain Elijah was near began to crumble under the power of an incredibly strong wind. Then, an earthquake opened up the ground and finally a fire swept through. BIG stuff there.

But NONE of that was what God wanted Elijah to pay attention to. The Bible says God was not in the wind nor the earthquake nor the fire. He wasn't speaking to Elijah in those. It says that after these wildly huge things passed that there was nothing but a still, small voice. The voice of God saying to Elijah, "Why are you here [in this cave]?" God was in the mild, the calm, and the mundane.

It's all a matter of His revelation. In the Old Testament, He revealed Himself by His profound supernatural works and His prophets. Then came Jesus - revealing the Father. And finally - we have the Word and the Holy Spirit.

For some - neither a burning bush nor a burning conviction via the Holy Spirit would mean anything.

keck553
Oct 25th 2013, 01:57 AM
Hebrews 1 answers this question.

Love Fountain
Oct 25th 2013, 03:12 AM
Why is it that God never does things like this anymore?

Just because we don't see, doesn't mean they are not happening. It reminds me of what Jesus said to some that sought a sign.

Matt 16:4 A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas. And he left them, and departed.

In my opinion, it's really important to ask ourselves what does God want from us?

In my opinion, He wants our love. Love is a freewill choice or it cannot be love.

If God came to someone and told them that He is God and they better love him or else, how could that ever be a freewill choice to love God? It wouldn't!

All things are still possible and all things are done according to their time and place, for there is a season to come that shall be like no other.

Idols are made to worship and children are made for love!

No, the Father is not weaker now, He is patient and long suffering, not willing that any should perish, hoping for all to return to Him and repent!

If only they would hear with their ears and see with their eyes and UNDERSTAND WITH THEIR HEART/MIND, then they would be converted and He would heal them!

May God Bless you in your studies and pursuit of His love!

Hope this helps!

Bless you,
Love Fountain

carboy
Oct 25th 2013, 01:02 PM
From the beginning God provided a garment and it isn't any different today. Israel was saved by the blood of a lamb, went through the sea and had the Lord with them 24/7, same as today.(1cor 10) God has chosen to reveal Himself as He pleases but a thread runs through it all. The Jews were the witness to the nations and a number of times His name was blasphemed, today just flip on the television and some preachers have a good go at it. Those things were written for our learning that we would not make the same mistakes.

We are a nation of priests and kings as was Israel. Their nation was physical but ours spiritual. Their wars were physical but ours spiritual. They had a physical temple made of stone but ours is dynamic, a spiritual house where we are the stones built upon the foundation of the apostles with Jesus as the chief corner stone.

At a point Jesus will be revealed through events such as wrath, the power of God will be displayed again. The day of the Lord will silence the critics.

A whole new generation will be born with the Lord ruling from Jerusalem and we can only speculate on the bigger picture of how exactly that will be. But I believe it will be a continuation, a culmination, of the revelation that started from the beginning of sacrifice being made to the LORD.

Jesus first came as a priest, our High Priest, and made atonement, giving Himself as a sacrifice for the people. Then He received His crown. As a nation of priest and kings we are asked to pick up our cross and follow. We lay down our lives, walking in the gifts of the Holy Spirit being a new creature putting on the mind of Christ, and then when we are raised to glory we receive our crown. Jesus was a priest forever in the order of Melchizedek. This is the struggle we face everyday until the Lord comes for us. Was it Paul who said "I die daily"?

Dispensationalists have a decent view about the why of these things. The revealing of God through different time periods. That's how they get dubbed dispensationalists. I'm not one but they do have some good things to say.

Curtis
Oct 28th 2013, 04:10 AM

Now that the Lord has finished his work upon the cross, he has his man born again of his own seed. He has raised up his man and has seated him in the heavenlies places in his son Jesus Christ. He has revealed unto his man every thing that he has already prepared for him by his Spirit , and then he has enabled him to be partakers of his inheritance now. God has given unto man his Glory so he can anytime he wants to visit him at his throne of grace. There is no place he can not go today. He has done exceeding abundantly above all we could ever ask or think, and he has done all this by his Glory that dwells within us by Christ Jesus. It is a world without end. What we have today far exceeds anything that God has done in the past!!!!

Ceegen
Oct 28th 2013, 04:24 AM
All I know is, God does things on HIS time line, not ours. Miracles of biblical proportions will happen again!

"Behold, ye despisers, and wonder, and perish: for I work a work in your days, a work which ye shall in no wise believe, though a man declare it unto you." - Acts 13:41.

I'm a man, and I declare it. Not because I want biblical scale miracles to happen, but because they'll happen regardless of what I say.

Francis Drake
Oct 28th 2013, 12:52 PM
We have a better much witness today, than back then. We don't need those types of attention getters. We have something much better.

John 3:14, 12:32 "3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me."

Titus 2:11 "For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men"

Luke 24:25 "Then Jesus said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken: Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory? And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself. And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me. Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures, And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. And ye are witnesses of these things."

Wrong, we don't have a better witness today. As a witness, the cross is foolishness to the unregenerate, whereas miracles were always noticed and are still noticed.

Even in the church, most christians don't really know what the cross was about. I have seen it asked by Christians on this forum and on other forums, "why did Jesus have to die, why couldn't God just forgive everyone?"

It is not God that is weak, but the church.