PDA

View Full Version : do others want what you have?

Oregongrown
Oct 25th 2013, 04:31 PM
This came to me in another thread where I used the story of Paul's imprisonment in Acts 16. Someone had mentioned that you must do more to be saved then just have faith.

It was a wake-up call for me, and I am going to put the question out, specifically focused on how we "appear" on this forum. Does what we share here, is how we act, and come-off here with our wisdom, or lack-there-of (like some of my posts) reflect or mirror Christ?

This is a commentary by David Guzik, Calvary Chapel pastor (see below in blue). I really loved how he put it, regarding the jailer that heard Paul and the others singing and praising God, even in prison. Prison back then wasn't very cushy, as most of you know. Paul and the rest were probably chained, with their hands above them, so the blood was all running out of their arms, beaten, cold, no medicine, not even Bactine, starving most likely, wearing nothing but dirty rags, no bath or shower, bugs crawling, rats, disease in many of the prisoners. And they're singing to God, and thanking Jesus.
Acts 29:34 Commentary by Dave Guzik (http://www.studylight.org/com/guz/view.cgi?bk=43&ch=16)
f. Sirs, what must I do be saved? The jailer was so impressed by Paul and Silas - by the love they showed to him, and from their ability to take joy even in misery - that he instantly wants the kind of life that Paul and Silas have.

i. This is how God wants our lives to be: Natural magnets drawing people to Him. Our Christianity should make others want what we have with God.

g. Paul’s answer to the keeper of the prison is a classic statement of the essence of the gospel: believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved. This is salvation by grace alone, received by faith alone.

i. Some have worried that Paul’s invitation to salvation here is too easy, and would promote an “easy-believism” and a “cheap grace.” Others refuse to preach repentance, claiming that this text says that it is not necessary.

ii. Paul never specifically called the keeper of the prison to repent because he was already repenting. We see the humble repentance of the jailer in that he fell down trembling, in the full idea of the word believe (pistis, which means to trust in, rely on, and cling to), and in the command to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ).

I am amazed at some of the "smarts" many of you have, but I will also say, that some of you with those smarts, don't show me Jesus. I thank God for the truly wise on these boards, that can state, sound doctrine (the ONE true Word of God) with both wisdom, and humility. I want to be just like the latter, and you are the ones God will show me Himself through, and He already does.

If anyone thinks that because we are online, people can't get the true message of Jesus (or lack thereof) you are mistaken. I see Him here every day, may God bless each of you, a sister in Christ, denise

Jade99
Oct 25th 2013, 08:09 PM
Cool post, Denise and I get what you're saying and you're absolutely right.

God's word can be taught anywhere and everywhere and the gospel of Christ is no exception (like some folk in the world think today). When I see people get offended when they see scripture posted on facebook or twitter, I say what's their problem? They don't freak out when someone posts from Buddha or from these bitstrips.

Then the realization comes; the word of God is powerful and the name of Jesus is power, breath and living water and Jesus is the word. Meaning that people know that Jesus Christ is the real deal and in turn, the don't want to deal, because they have that conviction.

What comes after conviction? Confession and repentance.

People believe that they have to give up so much to be saved and they don't realize that God just want them and them only. People also see other options (religion) and they like that at a buffet want to sample everything or they view it like applying for college, they want to see which one is better for them and for their needs. They need to realize with a quickness that God don't operate like that.

Satan uses the online world to promote and to drive people towards him further, but God also uses the only world to draw people to him, as well. There are a lot more christian/bible based websites and blogs that a lot of people have come to know Christ just by going to those sites and reading them.

Eventually Satan will lose both the war and the battle.

Oregongrown
Oct 25th 2013, 08:20 PM
Cool post, Denise and I get what you're saying and you're absolutely right.

God's word can be taught anywhere and everywhere and the gospel of Christ is no exception (like some folk in the world think today). When I see people get offended when they see scripture posted on facebook or twitter, I say what's their problem? They don't freak out when someone posts from Buddha or from these bitstrips.

Then the realization comes; the word of God is powerful and the name of Jesus is power, breath and living water and Jesus is the word. Meaning that people know that Jesus Christ is the real deal and in turn, the don't want to deal, because they have that conviction.

What comes after conviction? Confession and repentance.

People believe that they have to give up so much to be saved and they don't realize that God just want them and them only. People also see other options (religion) and they like that at a buffet want to sample everything or they view it like applying for college, they want to see which one is better for them and for their needs. They need to realize with a quickness that God don't operate like that.

Satan uses the online world to promote and to drive people towards him further, but God also uses the only world to draw people to him, as well. There are a lot more christian/bible based websites and blogs that a lot of people have come to know Christ just by going to those sites and reading them.

Eventually Satan will lose both the war and the battle.

Good post jade, I agree, accept that satan is already defeated, but I know what you are saying too because we still have to deal with him, well, we let Jesus deal with him;) He's kind of like this guy that is in jail, but when folks walk by the jail, he still throws things at them;) But God's got all the power and we get to tap into that power thanks to Christ;) God bless, denise, ysic

Jade99
Oct 25th 2013, 08:24 PM
Good post jade, I agree, accept that satan is already defeated, but I know what you are saying too because we still have to deal with him, well, we let Jesus deal with him;) He's kind of like this guy that is in jail, but when folks walk by the jail, he still throws things at them;) But God's got all the power and we get to tap into that power thanks to Christ;) God bless, denise, ysic

Amen sister :hug:

Oregongrown
Oct 25th 2013, 08:32 PM
:lol:

These are some good ones Jade:) Especially "ugh", LOL!! denise, ysic