PDA

View Full Version : Is your churches doctrine worth a read? And maybe use a magnifying glass

Oregongrown
Oct 27th 2013, 06:37 PM
The reason I ask, is that after I was saved, I just automatically started reading the doctrine of a church before I would attend. I could say it was the Holy Spirit directing me, I think it was His lead. But I got very interested in it. But over the years, it has surprised me how many people I have met in churches that don't know what their churches doctrine says. I get answers like:

I like folks here
My family has always attended this church
It's close to home
They have great worship bands
There's lots of single men here
There's lots of single women here
The pastor is a crack-up

Has anyone else thought about this? I mean, to each his own belief, but what if you are new, and don't know the bible, you just got saved, and someone says "this is a great church, been going for years".

I guess what I want to say is yes, we need to gather with other believers, but I feel it is so important that we know first. I guess I don't have a question. Just hoping people will beware of false doctrine. Things have sounded so good to me, only to dig deeper in the Word and find out it's hogwash compared to what God says. Some of the false stuff I'd like to believe, my fault, like the doctrine of financial prosperity, I'd like to believe that but I can't, God doesn't promise me financial prosperity, not that I see. Comments welcome, bring it on, God bless, denise a sister in Christ

Aviyah
Oct 27th 2013, 08:57 PM
I completely agree. The more citations from the Bible, the better the message! I think we are at the point where people don't want to read Scripture for themselves, but want someone else to talk about the basic idea so they can watch football.

Oregongrown
Oct 27th 2013, 09:18 PM
I completely agree. The more citations from the Bible, the better the message! I think we are at the point where people don't want to read Scripture for themselves, but want someone else to talk about the basic idea so they can watch football.

:lol: I think you are right Aviyah, there was a time when I just wanted to go hear the pastor. He would get me so pumped up for that hour, oh, and the music, wow! I was feelin spiritual. When I look back it was kind of like a rain-dance, power that service up and God's gonna show up. All the time He was already there, living on the inside of me:) Really didn't figure it til time after time I would go home empty and alone. You know what I do now when I feel lonely? I pick up the bible, and start reading some more. Oh, and not to mention getting on here and learning from other believers like you Aviyah. Let's you and I never be afraid to ask questions, it just shows we want God. Who asks a question about God that doesn't care to know Him more;)

denise, ysic

exitludos
Oct 27th 2013, 10:48 PM
Checking out a church's doctrines is natural for me to do before going to visit. But it having more bible verse numbers does not immediately mean its teachings are biblical. I divide the doctrines they have listed into essentials and non-essentials. If I find something I disagree with but consider it non-essential, that is not a problem to me. Presently, that is about half of the doctrines advocated officially by the denomination of my current church.

Oregongrown
Oct 27th 2013, 10:53 PM
Checking out a church's doctrines is natural for me to do before going to visit. But it having more bible verse numbers does not immediately mean its teachings are biblical. I divide the doctrines they have listed into essentials and non-essentials. If I find something I disagree with but consider it non-essential, that is not a problem to me. Presently, that is about half of the doctrines advocated officially by the denomination of my current church.

I would agree if I see something that I feel is nonessential. And no, some things you can only learn by attending. They can list anything they want in their doctrine, as many bible verses as you said. Definitely takes some research.

denise, a sister in Christ

TrustGzus
Oct 28th 2013, 03:08 AM
Great OP, Denise. Right on!

Balabusha
Oct 28th 2013, 03:42 AM
:lol: I think you are right Aviyah, there was a time when I just wanted to go hear the pastor. He would get me so pumped up for that hour, oh, and the music, wow! I was feelin spiritual. When I look back it was kind of like a rain-dance, power that service up and God's gonna show up. All the time He was already there, living on the inside of me:) Really didn't figure it til time after time I would go home empty and alone. You know what I do now when I feel lonely? I pick up the bible, and start reading some more. Oh, and not to mention getting on here and learning from other believers like you Aviyah. Let's you and I never be afraid to ask questions, it just shows we want God. Who asks a question about God that doesn't care to know Him more;)

denise, ysic
You would like our church then, anyone can ask a question or give an answer-we are devoted to making disciples and then getting them to make disciples very quickly. So a 10 year old can ask a question they encountered from school or what have you, and they are just involved as a 40 year old in finding the answer. The kids outnumber the adults 4 to one, and they will be able to go outside of the church and not only defend the Gospel-but go on the offense.
If someone just wants to listen to the preacher or put in time until football-our church is not a fit, as it may go on for 10 hours.

TrustGzus
Oct 28th 2013, 06:22 AM
Paul wrote to Titus . . . (pay special attention to verse 9 in these qualifications for elders)

Titus 1:5–9 (ESV)
5*This is why I left you in Crete, so that you might put what remained into order, and appoint elders in every town as I directed you— 6*if anyone is above reproach, the husband of one wife, and his children are believers and not open to the charge of debauchery or insubordination. 7*For an overseer, as God’s steward, must be above reproach. He must not be arrogant or quick-tempered or a drunkard or violent or greedy for gain, 8*but hospitable, a lover of good, self-controlled, upright, holy, and disciplined. 9*He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.

Boo
Oct 28th 2013, 08:24 AM
Paul wrote to Titus . . . (pay special attention to verse 9 in these qualifications for elders)

5*This is why I left you in Crete, so that you might put what remained into order, and appoint elders in every town as I directed you— 6*if anyone is above reproach, the husband of one wife, and his children are believers and not open to the charge of debauchery or insubordination. 7*For an overseer, as God’s steward, must be above reproach. He must not be arrogant or quick-tempered or a drunkard or violent or greedy for gain, 8*but hospitable, a lover of good, self-controlled, upright, holy, and disciplined. 9*He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.

And I'll probably be safe in saying that every preacher believes that he qualifies according to these verses.

If the person did not, would he be preaching?

Boo
Oct 28th 2013, 08:26 AM
You would like our church then, anyone can ask a question or give an answer-we are devoted to making disciples and then getting them to make disciples very quickly. So a 10 year old can ask a question they encountered from school or what have you, and they are just involved as a 40 year old in finding the answer. The kids outnumber the adults 4 to one, and they will be able to go outside of the church and not only defend the Gospel-but go on the offense.
If someone just wants to listen to the preacher or put in time until football-our church is not a fit, as it may go on for 10 hours.

This is a description of a very rare church.

I'd be rather hesitant to think that I would teach someone how to go on the offense with the Gospel. There is still a requirement to be humble and meek.

Oregongrown
Oct 28th 2013, 03:39 PM

this is right and good TG, but the thing that comes to mind is how insidious false teaching is. The only way to fight it is with the Word, that is why I am reading so much every day. But yet I see over and over, different interpretations, surely the Holy Spirit doesn't teach one person one thing, and another person a different meaning?

God bless your day, denise, ysic

Oregongrown
Oct 28th 2013, 03:44 PM

Hi Naama:)

I am excited about either finding, or at least inviting one or two people to my home. I forgot to pray for that today, so I will go back to my knees after I type this. I will pray mostly for God's guidance as I do see an orderly way this needs to happen, in my opinion. I need to be quick to see the way God wants us to meet together.

God bless and I am glad things are going so well with your home-group:) I think it is soooooo important that the kids are subjected to healthy teachings, I want to cry when I think of those out there that are running the streets looking for "god" in drugs, alcohol, and God only knows what other things/places. Denise, ysic

Jade99
Oct 28th 2013, 11:13 PM
When I first came to my church in 2001, I remember my then Pastor, actually had what's called discipleship class (which was designed for newcomers or anyone that wanted a refresher course) but he actually went over the church doctrine and basically the church believed as a whole body, which Pastor made sure that it aligned with scripture. If something in our church was too worldly, even if the lyrics in a particular song was not scripture, it was out. He didn't believe in stuff like a separate offering like some churches have, etc. He didn't believe in wasting God's time.

And he gave the plan of salvation after each sermon.

I miss him. Sadly he was voted out 2 years ago for dementia and another thing but he died this past February.

It's funny though, after he was voted out, I basically lost the drive to even go to my church. I didn't like the way he was voted out, especially when something personal came out. That wasn't cool.

I do hate when some try to make another person feel guilty for not physically going to church. They feel like you have backslidden or something. I actually study the word at home, in the bathroom on my phone (sorry for the tmi), I tune into Dr. Charles Stanley either on tv or on my iphone, I fellowship with you guys on here, and with my family at home. The body of Christ is everywhere, because we are the church, so just like we can praise him anywhere, we can also worship him anywhere.

The important thing is for God to get the glory, the honor, and the praise and some churches don't even want to let him have that. So, yeah I agree, just like I actually read the disclosures on these credit card offers, I would read the church doctrine and then of course, pray about it and move as the Spirit moves you.

Oregongrown
Oct 28th 2013, 11:35 PM
When I first came to my church in 2001, I remember my then Pastor, actually had what's called discipleship class (which was designed for newcomers or anyone that wanted a refresher course) but he actually went over the church doctrine and basically the church believed as a whole body, which Pastor made sure that it aligned with scripture. If something in our church was too worldly, even if the lyrics in a particular song was not scripture, it was out. He didn't believe in stuff like a separate offering like some churches have, etc. He didn't believe in wasting God's time.

And he gave the plan of salvation after each sermon.

I miss him. Sadly he was voted out 2 years ago for dementia and another thing but he died this past February.

It's funny though, after he was voted out, I basically lost the drive to even go to my church. I didn't like the way he was voted out, especially when something personal came out. That wasn't cool.

I do hate when some try to make another person feel guilty for not physically going to church. They feel like you have backslidden or something. I actually study the word at home, in the bathroom on my phone (sorry for the tmi), I tune into Dr. Charles Stanley either on tv or on my iphone, I fellowship with you guys on here, and with my family at home. The body of Christ is everywhere, because we are the church, so just like we can praise him anywhere, we can also worship him anywhere.

The important thing is for God to get the glory, the honor, and the praise and some churches don't even want to let him have that. So, yeah I agree, just like I actually read the disclosures on these credit card offers, I would read the church doctrine and then of course, pray about it and move as the Spirit moves you.

I agree with you Jade, about the church buildings. I really want to find a home-church, or end up with a place where I can have people in. I think that more christians are going towards this since so many churches are more like a business, then church. I heard of one just the other day that their staff, and worship team are making HUGE money, and some of the poorer members are wondering if it is right that their money isn't taxed, but the folks who are attending and tithing, their money is. It's just getting bad in some churches.

I know there are christians in every church though, and God is still in control. But I think a home style church might be something more like God intended. I am just researching them now though;) Until then, I am just visiting different churches, just to stay connected with other christians for now, and some Sundays I don't go. I met some people today in a taco place, I knew they were christians because they said grace before they ate. I went over and talked with them later, and they invited to their church. I said I was looking for a home-church and they thought I meant a regular church to call home, lol. Anyway, I will go see them, they were so nice.

God bless you Jade, and I see Jesus in you:) denise, ysic

Balabusha
Oct 29th 2013, 04:56 AM
This is a description of a very rare church.

I'd be rather hesitant to think that I would teach someone how to go on the offense with the Gospel. There is still a requirement to be humble and meek.

C'mon, you are giving my words a meaning that was never intended

Boo
Oct 29th 2013, 09:22 AM
C'mon, you are giving my words a meaning that was never intended

Possibly. The world offense carry different connotations. If I intend someone to think that I carry the Gospel message to those who need it, I think of being proactive or evangelistic rather than offensive. It I start a discussion about a biblical subject, I consider it to be conversational and not as taking the subject on the offense.

So, if you mean it another way than the way I take it; count it as a problem between English speakers. I suppose I can get accused of that frequently.

Oregongrown
Oct 29th 2013, 03:27 PM
Possibly. The world offense carry different connotations. If I intend someone to think that I carry the Gospel message to those who need it, I think of being proactive or evangelistic rather than offensive. It I start a discussion about a biblical subject, I consider it to be conversational and not as taking the subject on the offense.

So, if you mean it another way than the way I take it; count it as a problem between English speakers. I suppose I can get accused of that frequently.

Hi Boo and Naama, I read both your posts and it got me thinking that maybe I am looking at my Sword of Truth wrong. So I read a couple commentary/comments, and I am not convince either way at this point. But I feel in my gut, that christians aren't being led by God to attack or be on the offensive "line" so to speak. Now you both know I am new at reading the Word myself, and I do mean by the leading of the Holy Spirit. I pray every day (several times a day) for that, most of all.

So I don't want to change the thread/topic, so I am going to start a thread I think. I need to know, because I admit to being taught that the Sword of the Spirit (which is the Word of God) is the "only" offensive weapon. Now I've read it is also a the same as the rest of our armor, to protect us from attacks, not use to attack.

God bless you both, see you maybe on the thread, denise, ysic;)

Balabusha
Oct 29th 2013, 03:59 PM
Hi Boo and Naama, I read both your posts and it got me thinking that maybe I am looking at my Sword of Truth wrong. So I read a couple commentary/comments, and I am not convince either way at this point. But I feel in my gut, that christians aren't being led by God to attack or be on the offensive "line" so to speak. Now you both know I am new at reading the Word myself, and I do mean by the leading of the Holy Spirit. I pray every day (several times a day) for that, most of all.

So I don't want to change the thread/topic, so I am going to start a thread I think. I need to know, because I admit to being taught that the Sword of the Spirit (which is the Word of God) is the "only" offensive weapon. Now I've read it is also a the same as the rest of our armor, to protect us from attacks, not use to attack.

God bless you both, see you maybe on the thread, denise, ysic;)

I think that my words were used to convey spreading the Gospel in a light I did not intend.
The context was in relation to our young people-the amount of young people who go to school or better yet-post secondary education who come out denying Jesus is staggering.
So our young people are equipped no to just defend the Gospel and their faith-but to project the Gospel forward.
Not getting dumbfounded by attacks, but question the question and put it back in their laps.
I read a debate between a believer and Ruichard Dawkins, and Dawkins made an attack that Christians are so stupid that they could not name the books of the New Testament. The Christian retorted "do you know the full name of the origin of species" Dawkins had mud on his face because he did not know the answer.
This is important, maybe Dawkins will never accept the light, but many who are listening will form their worldview by the Christian looking like a fool.
I am not talking about swords-i am talking about engaging the culture.
But my own brethern would rather see my words in the least favorable light than to give me the benefit of a doubt, or even ask me a simple question

Redeemed by Grace
Oct 29th 2013, 04:11 PM
The reason I ask, is that after I was saved, I just automatically started reading the doctrine of a church before I would attend. I could say it was the Holy Spirit directing me, I think it was His lead. But I got very interested in it. But over the years, it has surprised me how many people I have met in churches that don't know what their churches doctrine says. I get answers like:

I like folks here
My family has always attended this church
It's close to home
They have great worship bands
There's lots of single men here
There's lots of single women here
The pastor is a crack-up

Has anyone else thought about this? I mean, to each his own belief, but what if you are new, and don't know the bible, you just got saved, and someone says "this is a great church, been going for years".

I guess what I want to say is yes, we need to gather with other believers, but I feel it is so important that we know first. I guess I don't have a question. Just hoping people will beware of false doctrine. Things have sounded so good to me, only to dig deeper in the Word and find out it's hogwash compared to what God says. Some of the false stuff I'd like to believe, my fault, like the doctrine of financial prosperity, I'd like to believe that but I can't, God doesn't promise me financial prosperity, not that I see. Comments welcome, bring it on, God bless, denise a sister in Christ

Very wise to discern Denise... And I submit not to use the 'looking glass' but the word of God, which is what I think you mean anyway. LoL :)

Oregongrown
Oct 29th 2013, 04:20 PM
I think that my words were used to convey spreading the Gospel in a light I did not intend.
The context was in relation to our young people-the amount of young people who go to school or better yet-post secondary education who come out denying Jesus is staggering.
So our young people are equipped no to just defend the Gospel and their faith-but to project the Gospel forward.
Not getting dumbfounded by attacks, but question the question and put it back in their laps.
I read a debate between a believer and Ruichard Dawkins, and Dawkins made an attack that Christians are so stupid that they could not name the books of the New Testament. The Christian retorted "do you know the full name of the origin of species" Dawkins had mud on his face because he did not know the answer.
This is important, maybe Dawkins will never accept the light, but many who are listening will form their worldview by the Christian looking like a fool.
I am not talking about swords-i am talking about engaging the culture.
But my own brethern would rather see my words in the least favorable light than to give me the benefit of a doubt, or even ask me a simple question

It could be one in the same maybe, couldn't it though? I mean, we can teach our children about God's armor, and they can put it on just as all people are called to do. Do we need more then His Armor? When you say project, and I say this with all due respect, as you know, I do respect you;), but projecting means throwing(one definition anyway), like an image from a movie camera. So it still sounds like offense. I am just searching here.

Denise, ysic

Balabusha
Oct 29th 2013, 05:14 PM
I really don't know what do do with this one, my words keep getting misconstued as offense or aggressive. If someone is telling lies about Messiah, and we sometimes only have one shot, or this person attacking us forms those who are listenings worldview.
Like Dawkins tried to project Christians as stupid, the person responding to him showed that his argument was valid even to himself-he questioned the question instead of answering the question.
The Apostle Paul was brilliant in engaging the culture and projecting the Gospel forward using education.
Islam on the other hand is using the offense or the sword of spreading their dogma-big difference between education and violence.
The Bible is the double edged sword-our submission to living in love plus at times education brings the Gospel forward, or if you guys have a more politically correct word please correct me, this should not carry onm this long.
The sad thing is that us young peope are rejecting the faith in droves when they go to university-we can argue over semantics, or equip our kids not to just defend the Gospel, but to make disciples who then make disciples themselves.

Oregongrown
Oct 29th 2013, 06:14 PM
No, this has been good, I know I misunderstand a lot Naama, but I am finding that yes, we are called to be on the offense, that was what I thought, so I am with you on your first post about your home-group;) Sorry if it got irritating, my asking etc. I learned so much though so I am grateful for your post, even if you meant it differently I think God showed me what He wanted me to learn.

God bless, ysic, denise

Oregongrown
Oct 29th 2013, 06:17 PM

No, not offensive, but we are called to offense actions like praying, that was pointed out to me. If we put on armor and just sit on the couch, well, we are waiting to defend, ok. But we are called to go out and spread the Word, so then it becomes on the offense as well. I saw that in Naama's post. I just started questioning if we were to be on the offense too, or only defense in Christs army:) So I was on another "page". Sorry, but I learned what I think God wanted me to from both your posts, denise, a sister in Christ

Balabusha
Oct 29th 2013, 07:12 PM
It can be hard to convey something when semantics gets in the way, one took my word of offense to mean something I don't know how it could be misconstrued, and told me about spreading the gospel or evangelism. This only happens when there is mistrust or competition

Even my lat post could have been dder for semantics-i don't make disciples-jesus does, but we all know what I was getting at, and to have to put jesus makes disciples after every mention of discipleship would be strained.

Oregongrown
Oct 29th 2013, 07:24 PM
It can be hard to convey something when semantics gets in the way, one took my word of offense to mean something I don't know how it could be misconstrued, and told me about spreading the gospel or evangelism. This only happens when there is mistrust or competition

Even my lat post could have been dder for semantics-i don't make disciples-jesus does, but we all know what I was getting at, and to have to put jesus makes disciples after every mention of discipleship would be strained.

Ok, yes, if I am getting it now, I feel sometimes I don't want to post because I am not perfect. And any imperfection is attacked or picked apart, like some lay in wait to point out where we are wrong, but not very willing (at least it seems) to point out the things they do agree with. I don't want to walk on eggshells, and won't. I like being here and if someone wants to be like that then they have to answer to God, so I will leave them to their relationship with Him.

ChangedByHim
Oct 29th 2013, 11:51 PM
My church is non-denominational and independent. We used to have our own unique statement of faith, but I felt that it was exposing the church to potential error. I mean who's to say that I couldn't just change it one day? Therefore, we adopted the exact same SOF as the Assemblies of God, whom we line up to, from a doctrinal position. I believe this gave us security from a doctrinal standpoint.

Oregongrown
Oct 30th 2013, 12:09 AM
My church is non-denominational and independent. We used to have our own unique statement of faith, but I felt that it was exposing the church to potential error. I mean who's to say that I couldn't just change it one day? Therefore, we adopted the exact same SOF as the Assemblies of God, whom we line up to, from a doctrinal position. I believe this gave us security from a doctrinal standpoint.

We each have to let the Spirit lead us, sounds like you have peace about your doctrine, and they say that if you are doing things the right way, or you make the right decisions you will have a peace about it:)

Boo
Oct 30th 2013, 09:47 AM

My sister, the relationships we form on this forum carry through in our threads. Some here seem to be very competitive and behave like each thread is a competition rather than a conversation. Some of read words just the same way that we use those words in daily conversation. That means that sometimes what we write don't get understood in the way we mean them.

I dislike telephones because I cannot see the eyes and body language of the speaker. I distrust "words only," but at least with a phone I have also tone, inflections, and other verbal expressions. Here, there are written words done by people who don't always use as many words as may be necessary to be clearly understood.

I sure did not mean to cause a conversation about my short reply to go on this long. I did not mean to offend or accuse. I meant only to say that the word offense carries a different tone for me than it does for you. That is why I hope that people learn honest scriptural interpretations so that they can project the word through witnessing and evangelism. I personally would not use the word offense. There is too much of that already.

Please forgive me for starting this particular part of the thread. I'll try to be more careful.

Oregongrown
Oct 30th 2013, 03:58 PM
My sister, the relationships we form on this forum carry through in our threads. Some here seem to be very competitive and behave like each thread is a competition rather than a conversation. Some of read words just the same way that we use those words in daily conversation. That means that sometimes what we write don't get understood in the way we mean them.

I dislike telephones because I cannot see the eyes and body language of the speaker. I distrust "words only," but at least with a phone I have also tone, inflections, and other verbal expressions. Here, there are written words done by people who don't always use as many words as may be necessary to be clearly understood.

I sure did not mean to cause a conversation about my short reply to go on this long. I did not mean to offend or accuse. I meant only to say that the word offense carries a different tone for me than it does for you. That is why I hope that people learn honest scriptural interpretations so that they can project the word through witnessing and evangelism. I personally would not use the word offense. There is too much of that already.

Please forgive me for starting this particular part of the thread. I'll try to be more careful.

Hi Boo,

I can't pass up an opportunity to say "praise God" when I see humility in a person. People say you know you are saved when this or that, but when I see a person unafraid to admit they might have been wrong, or were wrong, it shows me Jesus.

I also agree on this type of communication. When we are face to face, that body language adds so much to a communication. Someone I have great visits with said something yesterday on here that I "read" totally wrong. I just couldn't believe what I saw, so I read it 3 times, and saw my error.

God bless your day, denise, a sister in Christ

TrustGzus
Oct 31st 2013, 03:10 AM

Hi Boo,

I can't pass up an opportunity to say "praise God" when I see humility in a person. People say you know you are saved when this or that, but when I see a person unafraid to admit they might have been wrong, or were wrong, it shows me Jesus.

I also agree on this type of communication. When we are face to face, that body language adds so much to a communication. Someone I have great visits with said something yesterday on here that I "read" totally wrong. I just couldn't believe what I saw, so I read it 3 times, and saw my error.

God bless your day, denise, a sister in Christ

Ditto. I agree completely.