PDA

View Full Version : What is a False Teacher?

Oregongrown
Nov 2nd 2013, 04:15 PM
Hi Mods, if this belongs in another forum (I thought about controversial, but what isn't around here:lol:) Just wasn't sure where to post it, denise, ysic

I hear this used, and have used the term numerous times over the years. But I realize I don't truly understand what they are, what they do. I have some ideas, I got from biblegateway.com, so I don't say this is 100% reliable, or even true. I like using it myself, but others have their references. So I hope we can discuss this, because I want to know what others see as False teachers, false teaching can enter in, but my main hope is to be able to recognize a false teacher. Teachings are easier, as I can compare what they say with scripture. But there seems to be reference toward not just what they say, but how they say it, what their focus is. I found the read interesting in biblegateway here: Exposing False Teachers (http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/commentaries/IVP-NT/Gal/Exposing-False-Teachers)

Here are the the six, identifying marks that Paul gives as identifying marks:

Galations 5:7-12

1. First, false teachers distract Christians from obeying the truth of the gospel (v. 7)
2. Second, false teachers replace the call of God with their own deceptive persuasiveness (v. 8)
3. Third, false teachers gain control over the whole church (v. 9)
4. Fourth, false teachers cause confusion and discouragement (v. 10)
5. Fifth, false teachers spread false reports about spiritual leaders. We may infer that to verse 11
6. Sixth, false teachers emphasize sensational rituals. Verse 12

I will just list the verses to make it easier here;) for all of us:

Galations 5:7-12

Galatians 5:7-12New King James Version (NKJV)

7 You ran well. Who hindered you from obeying the truth? 8 This persuasion does not come from Him who calls you. 9 A little leaven leavens the whole lump. 10 I have confidence in you, in the Lord, that you will have no other mind; but he who troubles you shall bear his judgment, whoever he is.
11 And I, brethren, if I still preach circumcision, why do I still suffer persecution? Then the offense of the cross has ceased. 12 I could wish that those who trouble you would even cut themselves off!

I just want to comment on verse 9 to start. When I first read the verse & commentary, I thought like the whole church, the Body of Christ, but that I think is about individual congregations, gatherings of believers.

Denise, a sister in Christ

Jade99
Nov 2nd 2013, 04:32 PM
I don't know if it's because I was given the gift of discernment or if it's just the Holy Spirit letting me know not to take a false teacher seriously, but I believe that if you are God's kids, you'll know who is for real and who's not. Check out the motives, but also check out the background and the response of both the teacher and the followers.

Do they mention Jesus at all?
Do they mention Jesus' death, burial, resurrection?
Do they believe that Jesus came in the flesh?
Do they believe that Jesus is God?

More importantly, do they tell people about Christ and how they need to come to a saving knowledge of knowing Christ as their Lord and Savior?

What a lot of these false teachers too is make it all about them, money, and whats in it for them? And those on tv that wants people to send in money for a prophesy, miracle spring water (which is usually on sale at Kroger 10 for $10), prayer cloth, prayer rock, etc. Or send in money to get more money. As as fraud investigator that went up a huge red flag that they are fraudsters and scammers, but as a Christian the huge red flag was that they were false teachers and definitely doing the works of Satan. The kicker is, they do it in the name of Jesus.

Jesus made a good point in Matt 7 that by their fruits we would know them and about those that are wolves in sheep clothing. I believe it takes us his children, paying attention to God's word and to be in tune in him to know who is truly of God and who is not.

One thing that is in 1 John 4 in the first few verse say something about testing the spirits to see if they believe that Jesus came in the flesh. Any true born again believer know that Jesus put on human flesh and died for the sins of the world on the cross and a true teacher of God is going to say that.

episkopos
Nov 2nd 2013, 04:37 PM
2Ti_4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Oregongrown
Nov 2nd 2013, 04:49 PM
I don't know if it's because I was given the gift of discernment or if it's just the Holy Spirit letting me know not to take a false teacher seriously, but I believe that if you are God's kids, you'll know who is for real and who's not. Check out the motives, but also check out the background and the response of both the teacher and the followers.

Do they mention Jesus at all?
Do they mention Jesus' death, burial, resurrection?
Do they believe that Jesus came in the flesh?
Do they believe that Jesus is God?

More importantly, do they tell people about Christ and how they need to come to a saving knowledge of knowing Christ as their Lord and Savior?

What a lot of these false teachers too is make it all about them, money, and whats in it for them? And those on tv that wants people to send in money for a prophesy, miracle spring water (which is usually on sale at Kroger 10 for $10), prayer cloth, prayer rock, etc. Or send in money to get more money. As as fraud investigator that went up a huge red flag that they are fraudsters and scammers, but as a Christian the huge red flag was that they were false teachers and definitely doing the works of Satan. The kicker is, they do it in the name of Jesus.

Jesus made a good point in Matt 7 that by their fruits we would know them and about those that are wolves in sheep clothing. I believe it takes us his children, paying attention to God's word and to be in tune in him to know who is truly of God and who is not.

One thing that is in 1 John 4 in the first few verse say something about testing the spirits to see if they believe that Jesus came in the flesh. Any true born again believer know that Jesus put on human flesh and died for the sins of the world on the cross and a true teacher of God is going to say that.

Very good reply, lots of good stuff to think about Jade. I especially liked "I believe it takes us his children, paying attention to God's word and to be in tune in him to know who is truly of God and who is not." This is it in a nutshell for me, know His Word, the Sword of the Spirit (of Truth), amen!! denise, ysic

Oregongrown
Nov 2nd 2013, 04:51 PM
2Ti_4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Yes, scripture is always Truth for me:) Thanks for sharing that E:) amen, denise, a sister in Christ PS and doesn't "itching ears" mean to hear what they want to hear?

episkopos
Nov 2nd 2013, 05:19 PM
Yes, scripture is always Truth for me:) Thanks for sharing that E:) amen, denise, a sister in Christ PS and doesn't "itching ears" mean to hear what they want to hear?

Yes, Like a salvation scheme that offers an immunity from the penalty of remaining sinful.

Oregongrown
Nov 2nd 2013, 05:23 PM
Yes, Like a salvation scheme that offers an immunity from the penalty of remaining sinful.

Sorry, not going there with you:lol: we don't want to "confuse" the issue/topic, or anyone dropping by do we:)

Oregongrown
Nov 2nd 2013, 05:25 PM
Sorry, not going there with you:lol:

We don't need to be "confusing" the topic/issue;)

episkopos
Nov 2nd 2013, 05:27 PM
Sorry, not going there with you:lol: we don't want to "confuse" the issue/topic, or anyone dropping by do we:)

;)..........................

shepherdsword
Nov 2nd 2013, 05:54 PM
Jesus said that "by their fruits" you will know them. I think that is the best indicator. Are they humble and correctable or proud and arrogant?

Oregongrown
Nov 2nd 2013, 06:22 PM
Jesus said that "by their fruits" you will know them. I think that is the best indicator. Are they humble and correctable or proud and arrogant?

It is definitely a good indicator. When I hear someone speak, or read something that shows pride or arrogance, I am turned off completely. That's a bummer for me because what they say might be true, or at least have some Truth to it, but because they come across with no humbleness, I miss what they may have been able to teach me. Now that I say that, I see that maybe others can "appear" as false teachers, but may not be? What do you think? By their fruits, is excellent, and of course, biblical:

Matthew 7:15-20

15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

So then I am asking God to show me what are some good fruits, or bad fruits. I think the 6 verses from Galatians are about fruits,and I am thinking those are bad fruits, ways to spot the false teacher.

So some good fruits, here's one I found;)

James 3:18

New King James Version (NKJV)

18 Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.

TBM 11
Nov 2nd 2013, 07:41 PM
A display of love from the heart is always a good indicator of someone having fruit.

episkopos
Nov 2nd 2013, 07:48 PM
A display of love from the heart is always a good indicator of someone having fruit.

Showing off at the right time is part of being a hypocrite (actor). An actor knows when best to put things on display to further his cause. But the truth will come out when the audience isn't there.

TBM 11
Nov 2nd 2013, 07:51 PM
Showing off at the right time is part of being a hypocrite (actor). An actor knows when best to put things on display to further his cause. But the truth will come out when the audience isn't there.

Depending on how gifted you are from the Spirit, most Christians can recognize fake.

shepherdsword
Nov 2nd 2013, 07:53 PM

I agree,in fact love is one of the indicators that we have passed from death to life.

1Jn 3:14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

I would say that this is the strongest evidence.

ChangedByHim
Nov 2nd 2013, 08:04 PM
QUESTION to ponder:

Can a True Teacher teach false doctrine and can a False Teacher teach true doctrine?

Your answer will help shape your view on who is and is not a false teacher.

episkopos
Nov 2nd 2013, 08:04 PM
Depending on how gifted you are from the Spirit, most Christians can recognize fake.

Exactly! ..................

Oregongrown
Nov 2nd 2013, 08:27 PM

Yes, I totally agree with that was as well, someone that is giving, and not expecting anything in return;)

Oregongrown
Nov 2nd 2013, 08:29 PM
Exactly! ..................

I think it is the Holy Spirit that tells me right from wrong, I don't know about gifts. I know we are all given gifts at salvation so yes, I'm sure discernment is one of those:) I can think of.

Oregongrown
Nov 2nd 2013, 08:31 PM
QUESTION to ponder:

Can a True Teacher teach false doctrine and can a False Teacher teach true doctrine?

Your answer will help shape your view on who is and is not a false teacher.

Yes, I would say so. A true believer teaching false doctrine would be convicted by the Holy Spirit though, that is what I believe. Also, a well meaning believer can make mistakes, and accidentally say/teach something wrong. I think of a False Teacher as a person that teaches falsely because "they think" they are being led by the Holy Spirit, but they may be deceived into think they are teaching Truth.

ChangedByHim
Nov 2nd 2013, 08:34 PM
I look at it this way: one can be right in his head and wrong in his heart; further, one can be right in his heart and wrong in his head.

Oregongrown
Nov 2nd 2013, 08:47 PM
I look at it this way: one can be right in his head and wrong in his heart; further, one can be right in his heart and wrong in his head.

I think that is a good way to look at it, makes good sense.

shepherdsword
Nov 2nd 2013, 09:00 PM
I highly doubt that any of us has "all truth" but the foundations of Christian doctrine and what faith actually accomplishes are essential. If our concept of "faith" is just adopting some Christian philosophical concepts with a real change in our hearts then our teaching is false no matter how biblical we perceive them to be. To manifest true biblical love requires a new creation and the power of the Holy Ghost which I am sure you are well aware of.
Blessings brother <high five>

Brother Paul
Nov 2nd 2013, 09:16 PM
II Peter 2:1, 2 – “There were false prophets among the people, and even so there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly and subtly sneak in damnable heresies, even denying the very Lord that bought them, and they bring upon themselves their impending judgment. Many will follow after their pernicious ways, by reason of whom the way of truth is spoken evil of.”

They can even appear as ministers of righteousness and angels of light...

Oregongrown
Nov 2nd 2013, 09:20 PM
II Peter 2:1, 2 – “There were false prophets among the people, and even so there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly and subtly sneak in damnable heresies, even denying the very Lord that bought them, and they bring upon themselves their impending judgment. Many will follow after their pernicious ways, by reason of whom the way of truth is spoken evil of.”

good scripture, don't recall reading that one, thank you much.

Brother Paul
Nov 2nd 2013, 10:37 PM
The false teacher actively pretends to be the genuine article. The danger of their form of hypocrisy lays not so much in having chosen their own eternal destiny, but in that they are dragging away 1,000’s of the Lord’s still lost baby lambs into perdition with them and often are unaware, even believing their own delusions. Let me address a particular form.

They act as if they are one of us, but often they are wolves hiding in their sheepskins. Often doing nothing heinously evil like a Jeffrey Domer or an Adolph Hitler, and usually being well educated, they don an outward disguise of religiosity, and use their Ph.D’s or MA’s to give the air of apparent authoritative knowledge in this or that area.
They depend on the principle that the masses are basically ignorant and will believe they are receiving the truth simply on the illusion created by their degrees, alleged knowledge of the truth, or outwardly apparent gifts of the Spirit. But alas things are not always as they appear to be.

They rise up WITHIN the church, often engaging work in service, and often present themselves as available and able, but they are not truly of the church not having the Holy Spirit. They often lack of contrition over their false teaching, and sometimes false prophecies, indicating they are probably not born of the Spirit of God (John 3:3-8/Acts 2:37-39). Obviously they do not really believe God when He condemns this practice. They decide which parts of the word of God are really true and which are not. Don’t they know that a positive confession, with or without a bath, does not actually make one a child of God (Acts 8)? True believers do not only believe “in” God, but we believe God!

In time, like the tares of Jesus parable, it becomes apparent that they are not believers, but make-believers. For many, because of their deep and possibly hidden unbelief they will be condemned. They never believe this…after all they are apparently good people. Because of their pride, many will not repent even when shown the way according to word and tradition. You see, simply by attending a church regularly, participating in some ritual bath, being elected to a board of Elders, or even graduating a Seminary, does not make one a child of God, or determine whether or not what one is declaring or professing is true to Christ. Again this is not the case of those whose understanding has not matured or who is mistaken who later learn and conform to the truth. That is not the same. We are all born Spiritual babies and grow through time being closer and closer conformed to the image of His son. None of us has the whole truth, or understands all things and we believe this and admit it. Only when He returns and we are ‘face to face’ will we know even as we are fully known.

Now whether they themselves realize it or not, false teachers are always deceivers. Many even secretly and subtly conspire with one another of their group to bring in and teach their heresies for truth. Some are co-persuaders for gain, whether it be for money, or favor, or power over their followers, but often it is a political purpose they wish to impose into the church. They choose their often political or economic goals, and then discuss strategies, carefully wording every campaign move to inch the flock slowly into their apostasy. They introduce their apostasy and their deceitful heresies with definite intention. They gather other alleged authorities to them, supporting or encouraging their false views.

Politically, some of them are actually opposed to the genuine churches, yet dwell somewhere within the various denominations. Some, *Name edited out*of New Jersey, even teach others to deny the genuine Lord, just as they themselves do. He truly does not believe in the God of Abraham or in the Lordship of the true historical Jesus Christ. Unlike Abraham, they do not believe God, neither do they take Him at His word, and they actively strive with all their reasoning and philosophies of vain deceit after then rudiments of the world to teach others their gospel of doubt. Yet he is called “Bishop.”

To deny the Lord, or even worse, to know God is real and rebelliously refuse to conform to His word, is sure condemnation, for themselves and for the unknowing victims of their beguilement. In the end this causes many to blaspheme the Holy Spirit of God and even to speak evil of God’s true Messiah. I will repay says the Lord! But they do not believe this, so they will face the judgment without the benefit of God’s saving provision of Christ’s death, burial and resurrection (Isaiah 53). It is likewise said that their ways are pernicious, which means that their presumptuousness leads to spiritual death, yet outwardly they are allegedly Christian Teachers, Ministers, Priests, and Bishops!

*EDIT: This man* is highly regarded in the Apostate wing of *Edit: a certain denomination*. Outwardly they appear to be gentle as Lambs, but inside they are ravenous wolves and slithering serpents. Many of them “walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleaness” (II Peter 2:10), practicing many of the things openly that the word declares an abomination. This same denomination has supported and placed in authority an unrepentant male sodomite who recently has married another man. They absolutely despise correction and refuse to be governed by appropriate leaders or doctrine. They utterly reject “the faith once delivered for all”! Being presumptuous and self-willed, they even speak evil of legitimate leaders and the genuine children of faith. They mock the God of Abraham, His Christ, and His word, as largely superstitions.

Verse 17 of II Peter 2 tells us that these false teachers are like “wells without water”, and “clouds carried about as in a tempest”. This tells us something about the quality of the inner being from which they act.

Almost everywhere we look, wells are commonly understood to be places where people gather to draw the draught that will quench their thirst, but people go to seek God in the house of worship to quench their thirst for spiritual life, their thirst for righteousness. The water they seek, i.e., living water, once drank will eternally relieve what one really thirsts for. God (the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit) is that drink. The Holy Spirit is a fountain of living water gushing forth from within those who believe (pistueo; trust in, rely on, and cleave to), but these false teachers are empty wells. They are not filled with the Spirit of Christ! They cannot quench the real thirst. They do not believe, they only pretend to in the pulpit while revealing their true self slowly in the study hall and in the political forum.
Warning!
As like unto clouds, they change their outward form as the winds that blow hither and thither. They change before your very eyes, if you look carefully, flitting about following every wind of the world’s doctrines. Their ethics vary according to the situation they are in and the crowd that they must support or impress. Their alleged promise is liberty, but they are often slaves to their own corruption and actively seek to drag others into the grave that they willfully dig for themselves. Setting you free from the allegedly oppressive Christ of the Scriptures, they send you into sure bondage feeling justified, and defend following after the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, feeding your vain pride. They do this to their own and other’s damnation, because they don’t believe in the Lord’s Salvation or a real Judgment Day, but of course they would vehemently deny this.

In some way or another, they always end up denying the genuine Jesus, or the deity of Messiah, or the sufficiency of the blood of God’s Lamb, and the truths as always taught us from Christ through the Apostles that have forever governed the church (Matthew 7). Unfortunately for them, Judgment Day is real and it is coming, and they will not only surely give an account, but they will, in that Day, bend the knee in submission and confess that Jesus the Messiah is the Lord to the glory of God the Father, only then it will be too late. The door of the Ark of their salvation, i.e., Messiah, the Son of the Living God and His finished work, will be tightly closed, and they will go to the place they always desired. The place where God and all knowledge of Him, and all His provision, is not! Figuratively it is called Gehenna or the lake of fire. A place where they are the lord of their eternal existence void of all God has provided because they have rejected Him and these things (water, food, fellowship, light, relief from suffering, and so on).

Now though we are called to excommunicate these false teachers and false shepherds, we must pray for them as well, for in truth they really do not have any idea what they doing. In their day there is still hope. God could still work the work and save them. At this time, the god of this world has blinded their hearts and minds. We are in a war here, a war they declared and actively fight on a socio-political level, but ours is a battle in the spiritual realm. The weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down if strongholds, so pray, intercede, get equipped, study the word, and present the truth to them! After one or two admonitions if they do not repent have nothing further to do with them, but expose them to the church. The rest is up to God! May He have mercy on us all.

Brother Paul

shepherdsword
Nov 2nd 2013, 11:48 PM
I think that "denying the Lord that bought them" can also refer to those that teach that salvation can be obtained without making Jesus the Lord of their life. This is as true a denial of Him as someone who teaches that He is Micheal the archangel.

Scooby_Snacks
Nov 3rd 2013, 12:14 AM

I didn't know what pernicious meant so I looked it up.

1. a. Tending to cause death or serious injury; deadly: a pernicious virus.

b. Causing great harm; destructive: pernicious rumors.

2. Archaic Evil; wicked.

Learn something new everyday. :yes:

ewq1938
Nov 3rd 2013, 06:29 AM
QUESTION to ponder:

Yes:

Here Satan tells something true:

Genesis 3:5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

"ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil"

That is what satan promised, and guess what? It was true. They did and God confirmed it:

Genesis 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

"the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil"

This time what satan promised was very true and came as satan promised it would, it just isnt something you should want.

TBM 11
Nov 3rd 2013, 01:40 PM
To misunderstand some scripture and explain it with a wrong interpretation in my view is not a false teacher. To understand the gospel and teach it wrong intentionally is a false teacher. The word of God tells what one such as this can expect will come to him/her.

Galatians 1:8-9

8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

When it comes to the gospel of Jesus Christ, you can bet I have done my homework and teach what Jesus Himself taught according to His word!

John 6:37-40

37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

If you are trying to teach other than what Jesus taught us through these verses YOU are teaching a false gospel!

(not trying to change the topic so please lets not get away from the OP. I just consider this to be an example of what is really meant by a false teacher)

Lyndie
Nov 3rd 2013, 06:42 PM
Just because someone pastors a large church does not make them a false teacher. I was in a very small church once that was so far off the gospel it would make your head spin.

Scooby_Snacks
Jan 2nd 2014, 02:25 AM
I have bumped this thread because luigi asked me a question on this thread http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php/252506-Does-the-Word-of-God-bring-unity-or-division?p=3084576#post3084576 (thread is now closed) that I did not yet answer. I believe there are some really great responses here that help answer this question...

And where would false teachers looking like the light derive their false teaching? From themselves?

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php/251672-What-is-a-False-Teacher?p=3065878#post3065878

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php/251672-What-is-a-False-Teacher?p=3065887#post3065887

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php/251672-What-is-a-False-Teacher?p=3066308#post3066308

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php/251672-What-is-a-False-Teacher?p=3066098#post3066098

And if Christians disagree on doctrine (whether you classify it as essential or not), would this not mean that the Holy Spirit did not provide enlightening to at least one of these Christians, and that his or her erroneous view of doctrine would then have been influenced by the false enlightener (Satan)?

Real false teachers/prophets are tares. They are not born of God, and have no home with Him. They are seeds planted by the enemy. They may at first look like His Children, growing side by side in the same church, but their roots are not the same. As they grow and their fruit begins to show, the differences become more and more pronounced.

Unless, of course you are one of those who believe erroneous interpretations of scriptures derives from ones own deductions, without Satan having played any part in deceiving those individuals.

There is a difference between a Christian with an incomplete, immature or learned/taught understanding of scripture that is wrong, and one who is a wolf in sheep's clothing, that has the outward show of Godliness that merely veils a heart of unbelief, violence and opposition to God.
They will deny Christ in what I believe to be many different ways, not always so easily pointed out..in other words, I do not believe this denial of Christ is always verbalized plainly.

II Peter 2:1, 2 – “There were false prophets among the people, and even so there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly and subtly sneak in damnable heresies, even denying the very Lord that bought them, and they bring upon themselves their impending judgment.
Many will follow after their pernicious ways, by reason of whom the way of truth is spoken evil of.”

I answered Brother Pauls scripture with:

I didn't know what pernicious meant so I looked it up.

1. a. Tending to cause death or serious injury; deadly: a pernicious virus.

b. Causing great harm; destructive: pernicious rumors.

2. Archaic Evil; wicked.

Learn something new everyday. :yes:

I re-quoted myself because as I looked back at past studies on tares I found a correlation with this definition of pernicious and the effects of ingested fruit seeds of actual tares...

You see, last year sometime I decided I would study what a real biological tare was.
That way I could understand more about what they look like, what the effect of their fruit might be etc.
I found Biblical dictionary results as well.

From Easton's Bible Dictionary:
"The bearded darnel, mentioned only in Matthew 13:25-30
It is the Lolium temulentum, a species of rye-grass, the seeds of which are a strong soporific poison. It bears the closest resemblance to wheat till the ear appears, and only then the difference is discovered. It grows plentifully in Syria and Palestine."

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition 2000 defines soporific as:
ADJECTIVE: 1. Inducing or tending to induce sleep. 2. Drowsy.
NOUN: A drug or other substance that induces sleep; a hypnotic.

From Smith's Bible Dictionary:
"There can be little doubt that the zizania of the parable, Matthew 13:25 denotes the weed called "darnel" (Lolium temulentum). . . . The grains of the L. temulentum, if eaten, produce convulsions, and even death."

Biologists talked about how it was fungus on the seeds of tares that created their poisonous state, and that entire fields of wheat could be affected as this fungus spread... I wonder if watering tares too much with very little light might create this problem.. but..that is for another day. ;)

amazzin
Jan 2nd 2014, 05:58 AM
Admin Reminder

Naming pastors/ministers or denominations and ministries is not allowed. These individuals or groups are not here to defend their positions or the accusation being laid against them

Please do not post with names or your posts will be deleted and subsequently thread deleted.

amazzin
Jan 2nd 2014, 06:02 AM
Just because someone pastors a large church does not make them a false teacher. I was in a very small church once that was so far off the gospel it would make your head spin.

Agreed......That would make me and other pastors who serve here on this board as false teachers

;)

Scooby_Snacks
Jan 2nd 2014, 04:52 PM
I guess I missed any inference to individuals not present, there is a reason for this rule, certainly.

Having had experience myself being around a false teacher one thing may be agreed upon by those who have experienced the same:
They will always have or find followers. They are rarely without support from someone.
That is until their time has come to be completely removed. God allows the tares and wheat to grow side by side until His final judgment.

I do believe 2 Peter 2 is clear in it's poetic imagery/description of false teachers if broken down into smaller snippets. This is, of course up for review/discussion from those here who may have more clarity or even disagree with my interpretation of the scriptures.
I am walking and learning as I go too.

2 Peter 2: 10 (in part) 11-13 (Verses 4-10 finally end with a period in the middle of verse 10, this is where I begin this new thought separated in scripture as well in some translations)

Bold and willful, they do not tremble as they blaspheme the glorious ones, whereas angels, though greater in might and power, do not pronounce a blasphemous judgment against them before the Lord.

This is someone who speaks against (blasphemes- speaks irreverently against God or sacred things) even God's angels, because they do not have any reverence for God or Angels, they take pride in their own power-- they are in unbelief.
The angels stay their own judgment even as powerful Holy beings created by God to protect His Children and Serve God's purpose, for they are also awaiting God's perfect judgment.

But these, like irrational animals, creatures of instinct, born to be caught and destroyed, blaspheming about matters of which they are ignorant, will also be destroyed in their destruction, suffering wrong as the wage for their wrongdoing.

They speak from their natural state from instinct of the flesh rather than tested spiritual truth. They pretend to know a lot about God but they know nothing revealed by the Holy Spirit of God except what His Children speak in truth. I believe a false teacher mimic's what they wish to, when they find it helpful to their continuing deceptions. As they destroy others they will be destroyed.

They count it pleasure to revel in the daytime. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their deceptions, while they feast with you.

They are delighted to perform as they do acting out their own lies while believing them seeing themselves as having higher knowledge as they gobble up the goodness of God that comes from Him and through His Children right along side of them. They have no conscience in their unbelief, but are always soaking up the good while thinking of ways to add to their own tales.

That's all for now if anyone wishes to discuss what I posted...

Curtis
Jan 3rd 2014, 04:39 AM
What I use to determine false teachers more than any other thing besides the Word of God, and their fruits which they seem to have is are they anointed. The anointing is the only thing we have as Christians in determining what truth really is. The human mind is not trustworthy in spotting and recognizing revelation from God, in fact it is the easiest thing to deceive. The anointing can not be faked. It is what Jesus had that brought people together to hear him teach even though most did not believe what he said. The religious leaders of Jesus time were amazed because Jesus taught as one having authority. They read the same Word as he did, except Jesus had revelation of the Word unlike them which only had logical, reasoning behind there beliefs. Revelation which only comes by the anointing will always bump heads with tradition of man. There is a Holy boldness in those who are anointed. It can not be missed and is recognizable to those who really belong to God. Those who are not will always be learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Col 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. (anointing)

2Co 10:3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
2Co 10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
2Co 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; (anointing)

Boo
Jan 3rd 2014, 11:29 AM
Keep in mind that it is not always the Holy Spirit that causes us to think someone is a false teacher. Sometimes, it is our pride that causes that.

If we all truly understood the bible and God's Word, we would all be of the same denomination. Someone having differing doctrine views is not necessarily being false, because we are all subject to err. Some believe things that were taught to them which is not exactly what the Bible says; yet we honestly believe we are correct in our thinking.

If someone is a false teacher, that person teaches others to be something other than Christ-like. The only true signs that I can state works for me is if someone does not love as Jesus taught or if someone teaches a Jesus that does not match scriptures.

Most of the rest of it are doctrinal disputes. And most of us believe we are correct, right?

cuban
Jan 3rd 2014, 01:49 PM
The spirit of error is most plainly operative when we see indicators of a false Christology. A false teacher firstly propagates biblical doctrines (in the name of God) that run counter to fundamental apostolic doctrine;
but the nuances of these errors can be vast, and this is because the spirit of this age cleverly introduces truth amidst lies(half-truths), vain imaginations and speculations into God's Word.

It is a matter of surrendering oneself to the comfort of the Holy Spirit's guidance, as opposed to the ear-tickling the spirit of error likes to entice us with which causes us to rely on our own carnal understanding;
and others have already explained the distinction we should make between the deceived who may mean well, and the deceivers who hold the truth in unrighteousness for they love it not.
Either way, false teachers are to be tried, rebuked and exposed so that they may repent, or be separated from.

Matthew 23:8 Now you may not be called 'Rabbi,' for One is your Teacher, yet you all are brethren."

John 14:16 And I will petition the Father, and He will give you another Comforter, that He may remain with you to the age,
John 14:17 the Spirit of Truth, whom the world cannot receive because it does not see Him nor know Him. But you know Him, for He abides with you and shall be in you.

If Jesus Christ is the Truth, then the Spirit of Truth is the Spirit of Jesus Christ. In like manner, the Spirit of Anti-Christ will lead Christians into error.
I believe brother Curtis nailed it when he spoke concerning the anointing of the Holy Spirit. The devil knows this and seeks to Counterfeit that anointing by smoothness of speech and psychology which appeal to man's fallen nature.

Pro 5:1 My son, pay attention to my wisdom; stretch your ear to my understanding;
Pro 5:2 so that you may keep judgment, and your lips may keep knowledge.

Pro 5:3 For the lips of a strange woman drip honey, and her palate is sweeter than oil,
Pro 5:4 but afterwards, she is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a sword of mouths;
Pro 5:5 her feet go down to death; her steps take hold on hell,
Pro 5:6 lest you should meditate on the path of life, her tracks are movable, you cannot know them.

In short, a false teacher is another breed of wolf in sheep's clothing. The world is already deceived. False religions and cults are already deceived. False teachers are those who seek to deceive the elect.

Boo
Jan 4th 2014, 12:11 PM
In short, a false teacher is another breed of wolf in sheep's clothing. The world is already deceived. False religions and cults are already deceived. False teachers are those who seek to deceive the elect.

If one's aim is not to deceive the elect, but to teach the truth as he or she knows it, is the person a false teacher?

If that does not distinguish false teachers, every one of us who are mistaken in our doctrine are false teachers.

That is why, after I see whether or not the teacher loves as Jesus loved, I look to the fruit of the teaching and the Christ Jesus that is taught.

I will never call those who disagree with my views of certain doctrines "false teachers" unless they do not love, do not produce good fruit, or unless they teach the wrong Jesus.

I go with what I believe to be true, but I await better teachings to be shown to me.

cuban
Jan 4th 2014, 01:25 PM
If one's aim is not to deceive the elect, but to teach the truth as he or she knows it, is the person a false teacher?

If that does not distinguish false teachers, every one of us who are mistaken in our doctrine are false teachers.

Hi Boo.

To answer your question, yes. I believe it is the teacher's responsibility to rightly divide the Word of Truth. Not many should be teachers, for it is possible to twist the scriptures to our own destruction.
If their teaching is false, then they are by definition a false teacher. Only God scrutinizes the hearts of men.

1Co 11:19 For also heresies need to be among you, so that the approved ones may become revealed among you.

As I am sure you know, there are many doctrinal issues that are debatable; but our faith should consist of certain doctrines that are not up for discussion.
And whenever those doctrines are rejected or subtly undermined, these are indicatory signs of a false teacher.

Aside from our core doctrines, if someone professes something as absolute truth which is not clearly defined in the mouth of two or three witnesses, they are walking a thin line.

That is why, after I see whether or not the teacher loves as Jesus loved, I look to the fruit of the teaching and the Christ Jesus that is taught.

Wolves are quite adept at walking and talking like sheep.

I will never call those who disagree with my views of certain doctrines "false teachers" unless they do not love, do not produce good fruit, or unless they teach the wrong Jesus.

I go with what I believe to be true, but I await better teachings to be shown to me.

We should all seek to be open-minded and remain teachable, yet wise as serpents for the great apostasy is in full swing.

God bless you.

Boo
Jan 4th 2014, 01:33 PM
Hi Boo.

To answer your question, yes. I believe it is the teacher's responsibility to rightly divide the Word of Truth. Not many should be teachers, for it is possible to twist the scriptures to our own destruction.
If their teaching is false, then they are by definition a false teacher. Only God scrutinizes the hearts of men.

1Co 11:19 For also heresies need to be among you, so that the approved ones may become revealed among you.

As I am sure you know, there are many doctrinal issues that are debatable; but our faith should consist of certain doctrines that are not up for discussion.
And whenever those doctrines are rejected or subtly undermined, these are indicatory signs of a false teacher.

Aside from our core doctrines, if someone professes something as absolute truth which is not clearly defined in the mouth of two or three witnesses, they are walking a thin line.

Wolves are quite adept at walking and talking like sheep.

We should all seek to be open-minded and remain teachable, yet wise as serpents for the great apostasy is in full swing.

God bless you.

A wolf in sheep's clothing can be spotted after a short time watching him or her. They cannot truly love as Christ loved.

I would like to think it is that easy to see if the certain doctrines that are not up for discussion are valid, because even on this board the question of which doctrines are essential are debated. There are many who claim that doctrines that have nothing to do with believing in Jesus Christ and His sacrifice for our sins are essential. The end point of this is that we are never in agreement on what those are. I have my understanding of essential for salvation beliefs, and I'd bet that not even a majority here would agree with me.

My list is quite short, by the way.

Most people want to include on the list those doctrines that make them Baptist, Lutheran, Assembly of God, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc. If people didn't believe that those are essential, we would not have those denominations, right?

Proverbs 3:5-7
Jan 4th 2014, 08:30 PM
What I use to determine false teachers more than any other thing besides the Word of God, and their fruits which they seem to have is are they anointed. The anointing is the only thing we have as Christians in determining what truth really is. The human mind is not trustworthy in spotting and recognizing revelation from God, in fact it is the easiest thing to deceive.
The anointing can not be faked. It is what Jesus had that brought people together to hear him teach even though most did not believe what he said. The religious leaders of Jesus time were amazed because Jesus taught as one having authority. They read the same Word as he did, except Jesus had revelation of the Word unlike them which only had logical, reasoning behind there beliefs. Revelation which only comes by the anointing will always bump heads with tradition of man.
There is a Holy boldness in those who are anointed. It can not be missed and is recognizable to those who really belong to God.
Those who are not will always be learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Col 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. (anointing)

2Co 10:3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
2Co 10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
2Co 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; (anointing)

:agree: & very much appreciate these points you've made & the Scriptures to substantiate them

Jan 4th 2014, 08:44 PM
The spirit of error is most plainly operative when we see indicators of a false Christology. A false teacher firstly propagates biblical doctrines (in the name of God) that run counter to fundamental apostolic doctrine;
but the nuances of these errors can be vast, and this is because the spirit of this age cleverly introduces truth amidst lies(half-truths), vain imaginations and speculations into God's Word.

It is a matter of surrendering oneself to the comfort of the Holy Spirit's guidance, as opposed to the ear-tickling the spirit of error likes to entice us with which causes us to rely on our own carnal understanding;
and others have already explained the distinction we should make between the deceived who may mean well, and the deceivers who hold the truth in unrighteousness for they love it not.
Either way, false teachers are to be tried, rebuked and exposed so that they may repent, or be separated from.

Matthew 23:8 Now you may not be called 'Rabbi,' for One is your Teacher, yet you all are brethren."

John 14:16 And I will petition the Father, and He will give you another Comforter, that He may remain with you to the age,
John 14:17 the Spirit of Truth, whom the world cannot receive because it does not see Him nor know Him. But you know Him, for He abides with you and shall be in you.

If Jesus Christ is the Truth, then the Spirit of Truth is the Spirit of Jesus Christ.
In like manner, the Spirit of Anti-Christ will lead Christians into error.
I believe brother Curtis nailed it when he spoke concerning the anointing of the Holy Spirit. The devil knows this and seeks to Counterfeit that anointing by smoothness of speech and psychology which appeal to man's fallen nature.

Pro 5:1 My son, pay attention to my wisdom; stretch your ear to my understanding;
Pro 5:2 so that you may keep judgment, and your lips may keep knowledge.

Pro 5:3 For the lips of a strange woman drip honey, and her palate is sweeter than oil,
Pro 5:4 but afterwards, she is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a sword of mouths;
Pro 5:5 her feet go down to death; her steps take hold on hell,
Pro 5:6 lest you should meditate on the path of life, her tracks are movable, you cannot know them.

:amen: to this!... some very good points made & Scriptures quoted; to prayerfully ponder...
may God Bless you for your contributions to this discussion

Jan 4th 2014, 08:57 PM
Keep in mind that it is not always the Holy Spirit that causes us to think someone is a false teacher. Sometimes, it is our pride that causes that.

it's sad :dunno: but (unfortunately) true; in some instances these days...
pride or envy are vices that the enemy tries to incite within us or among us...
which is why I believe Jesus advocated so much for humility in His Teachings & His Way of Life

cuban
Jan 4th 2014, 10:07 PM
:amen: to this!... some very good points made & Scriptures quoted; to prayerfully ponder...
may God Bless you for your contributions to this discussion

Blessings to you as well.

cuban
Jan 4th 2014, 10:35 PM
A wolf in sheep's clothing can be spotted after a short time watching him or her. They cannot truly love as Christ loved.

Yes brother, we will know them by their fruit. Let us keep this admonition in mind as we maintain the scriptures as our final authority.

I would like to think it is that easy to see if the certain doctrines that are not up for discussion are valid, because even on this board the question of which doctrines are essential are debated. There are many who claim that doctrines that have nothing to do with believing in Jesus Christ and His sacrifice for our sins are essential. The end point of this is that we are never in agreement on what those are. I have my understanding of essential for salvation beliefs, and I'd bet that not even a majority here would agree with me.

My list is quite short, by the way.

Most people want to include on the list those doctrines that make them Baptist, Lutheran, Assembly of God, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc. If people didn't believe that those are essential, we would not have those denominations, right?

Mine is short too, but not necessarily salvational beliefs. The kind that lead to subtly undermining Christ's deity for example, like not believing God is a tripartite Being.
Or not believing that the scriptures are without error and are all-sufficient for all things Christian. They lead to further corruption, because a little leaven...
Imo, these types of doctrines should not be up for debate if one professes to be a believer, yet many false teachers love to pontificate their way out of them.

They pontificate from their own mind. If the mind is one's god, then the revelation of God cannot be received.

A false salvational doctrine would be a hyper-grace Gospel for example, that confuses justification with sanctification. It denies the repentance that should coincide with a saving faith in order to cater to man's wickedness.
"Come as you are... and no need to change. Just believe... and God will do the rest." These half-truths are straight from the devil's boardroom, yet they are virally being preached across much of Christendom.

Jan 5th 2014, 01:10 AM
A false salvational doctrine would be a hyper-grace Gospel for example, that confuses justification with sanctification. It denies the repentance that should coincide with a saving faith in order to cater to man's wickedness.
"Come as you are... and no need to change. Just believe... and God will do the rest." These half-truths are straight from the devil's boardroom, yet they are virally being preached across much of Christendom.

:amen: brother!...as a sister in Christ; I can totally relate to what you're saying here & appreciate your boldness to expose such false doctrines...
as I've encountered subtle to extreme versions, over the years; on several Bible/Religion forums... & (sadly) they do seem to be gaining in popularity these days