PDA

View Full Version : Wow! Joseph & Jesus, Judah & Judas, I'm amazed!!

Oregongrown
Nov 4th 2013, 06:00 PM
I am into the whole story of Jacob & his family (sons), Joseph, his fave, and well, you all probably know the story in Genesis. The more I read of Genesis, the more I see it's ALL about Jesus, the coming of the Messiah. I heard that years ago, that the OT was to prepare us for Jesus, or tell us about Him.

Thoughts, discoveries you've had in the bible, how things connect for you? I want to put these lyrics from a song by Casting Crowns. I'll put the link to the song too. It just seems to fit here to start the topic;) ysic

Aviyah
Nov 4th 2013, 06:04 PM
I've found a lot of parallels in the OT too! One of the most recent I discovered was the tons of symbolism in Ruth. Naomi represents Israel, Ruth represents the church, and Boaz represents Christ.

Also, something really eerie I found out is that there are no recorded deaths of any gentile wife in the Bible (I don't believe). The Holy Spirit must have edited it out or prevented them from being mentioned - because its a perfect representation for the church married to Christ.

keck553
Nov 4th 2013, 06:09 PM
I am into the whole story of Jacob & his family (sons), Joseph, his fave, and well, you all probably know the story in Genesis. The more I read of Genesis, the more I see it's ALL about Jesus, the coming of the Messiah. I heard that years ago, that the OT was to prepare us for Jesus, or tell us about Him.

Thoughts, discoveries you've had in the bible, how things connect for you? I want to put these lyrics from a song by Casting Crowns. I'll put the link to the song too. It just seems to fit here to start the topic;) ysic

I am so excited for you!!!!! Love this stuff.

exitludos
Nov 4th 2013, 07:47 PM
Joseph, had prophetic dreams
Moses, rescued from the wrath of an evil king when he was a child
Israel, in the wilderness for forty years
Moses, brings down God's Law from a mountain
Israel crosses the Jordan river

Compare this to Matthew's book:

Jesus, rescued from the wrath of an evil king when he was a child
Jesus, in the wilderness for forty days
Jesus, teaches about God's law from a mountain
Jesus baptized in the Jordan river

There are many more beyond these, but Matthew's telling of the Gospel was shaped around Israel's ancient story.

Balabusha
Nov 4th 2013, 08:10 PM
Yes, the New Testament does have strong elements of the Exodus and Moses life. The prophet Moses told us that there would be a Prophet raised up like unto Moses-listen to Him.
The killing of the innocenrs by Herod, the testing of Jesus in the Desert, Jesus didwhat Moses and Israel could not do-he was True Israel.
Revelations 12 highlights this, as does the book of revelation-the book of revelation reveals Messiah.
From the same beginnings of Moses and Jesus, the temptsation of Jesus to the worshipping of the beast in the desert-to the worshipping of the beast in revelation, the faithful who don't worship the beast stand by Moses, the faithful who who don't worship the beast in revelation stand by Jesus(144,000), the unfaithful Israel who worship the beast are slain in the desert, the unfaithful Israel who worship the beast in revelation are slain (the harlot).
Jerusalem which took the faithful David to conquer was the prize and hope of the faithful before Messiah, now changes to the hope of the heavenly Jerusalem.
The words of Moses should be crashing down like a hammer-God will raise up a prophet like myself-listen to Him

carboy
Nov 4th 2013, 08:43 PM
When Jacob was talking at the well where he would meet Rachel the men said "We cannot, until the flocks are gathered, and they roll the stone from the mouth of the well; then we water the sheep."

A subtle one but I've always liked it.

Dave Hunt while teaching at a conference said "Jesus is on every page of the OT." I thought at the time that was a little zealous but over the years I don't anymore.

Oregongrown
Nov 4th 2013, 11:51 PM
When Jacob was talking at the well where he would meet Rachel the men said "We cannot, until the flocks are gathered, and they roll the stone from the mouth of the well; then we water the sheep."

A subtle one but I've always liked it.

Dave Hunt while teaching at a conference said "Jesus is on every page of the OT." I thought at the time that was a little zealous but over the years I don't anymore.

oh I didn't connect that til now, about Jacob and Rachel, "until all the flocks", and the stone being rolled away, THIS IS GETTING WILD, I LOVE IT!!

Oregongrown
Nov 4th 2013, 11:52 PM
Yes, the New Testament does have strong elements of the Exodus and Moses life. The prophet Moses told us that there would be a Prophet raised up like unto Moses-listen to Him.
The killing of the innocenrs by Herod, the testing of Jesus in the Desert, Jesus didwhat Moses and Israel could not do-he was True Israel.
Revelations 12 highlights this, as does the book of revelation-the book of revelation reveals Messiah.
From the same beginnings of Moses and Jesus, the temptsation of Jesus to the worshipping of the beast in the desert-to the worshipping of the beast in revelation, the faithful who don't worship the beast stand by Moses, the faithful who who don't worship the beast in revelation stand by Jesus(144,000), the unfaithful Israel who worship the beast are slain in the desert, the unfaithful Israel who worship the beast in revelation are slain (the harlot).
Jerusalem which took the faithful David to conquer was the prize and hope of the faithful before Messiah, now changes to the hope of the heavenly Jerusalem.
The words of Moses should be crashing down like a hammer-God will raise up a prophet like myself-listen to Him Now that I am getting further into it, and praying for the HS to show me all I am to learn during that reading, I think things are really opening up now:) This better than any movie, show of any type!!:pp

Oregongrown
Nov 4th 2013, 11:55 PM
Moses, rescued from the wrath of an evil king when he was a child
Israel, in the wilderness for forty years
Moses, brings down God's Law from a mountain
Israel crosses the Jordan river

Compare this to Matthew's book:

Jesus, rescued from the wrath of an evil king when he was a child
Jesus, in the wilderness for forty days
Jesus, teaches about God's law from a mountain
Jesus baptized in the Jordan river

There are many more beyond these, but Matthew's telling of the Gospel was shaped around Israel's ancient story.

I will remember to do this, make a note, as I don't want to skip ahead. For me, I have to stay on track or I will be scattered in my reading like I have been in the last 20 years since being saved;) Thank you so much though! I really feel so excited about all these new discoveries the Lord is allowing me to see!!!!!!!

Oregongrown
Nov 4th 2013, 11:56 PM
I've found a lot of parallels in the OT too! One of the most recent I discovered was the tons of symbolism in Ruth. Naomi represents Israel, Ruth represents the church, and Boaz represents Christ.

Also, something really eerie I found out is that there are no recorded deaths of any gentile wife in the Bible (I don't believe). The Holy Spirit must have edited it out or prevented them from being mentioned - because its a perfect representation for the church married to Christ.

I don't think we ever learn so much that there won't be new things revealed to us all the time!! Thanks for sharing this, ysic!!

mailmandan
Nov 5th 2013, 01:03 PM

Hello Aviyah,

We were recently studying through the book of Ruth at church and here is a transcript of the sermon that you might enjoy. :)

Christ, Our “Kinsman Redeemer” Book of Ruth

The literal meaning of “Bethlehem” is “house of bread.”

It’s no accident that Jesus, the “Bread of Life,” was born in Bethlehem, the “house of bread”!

The story of Ruth and Naomi prophetically foreshadows God’s plan to one day send a REDEEMER!

Naomi’s family left Bethlehem, the “house of bread,” because there was no bread in the “House of Bread.”

With all our “religious” activity, why is our nation falling deeper into moral depravity and spiritual anarchy?

It’s because there is “no bread” in the House of Bread (the Church)—there is a famine in the land!

Because of famine, many of us, like Naomi, have turned to the land of Moab.

In the Bible, Moab pictures the world—living a life apart from God.

Moab will always leave you “empty” because everything related to the world is “fleeting”! “And the world is passing away…” 1 John 2:17

Moab eventually leads to death, destitution, and desperation—it cannot bring salvation! “The wages of sin is death…” Romans 6:23

The Moabite, Ruth, is a picture of us and reveals God’s desire to redeem us!

Because of their sin, the Moabites had been cursed by God and were considered the enemies of God.

Ruth was in a state of poverty until she met a man named Boaz—a picture of Christ!

Jewish law made provision for a widowed woman to be redeemed by the “next of kin.”

To be legally married, Ruth would have to be married to a “kinsman redeemer”—a close relative of her deceased husband.

There was another “kinsman” closer in relation to Ruth than Boaz that could not redeem her. Chapter 4:5-6

He could not redeem her because he is a picture of the Law.

The Law was not given to redeem us from sin but rather to reveal our sin. “Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law is the knowledge of sin.” Romans 3:20

The Law was not given to redeem us but rather to teach us of our need to be redeemed! “Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. Galatians 3:24

Boaz became Ruth’s “kinsman redeemer” like Jesus is to us!

Jesus is our “Kinsman Redeemer” in that He came as one of us—a man! “…and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.” Philippians 2:7-8

Like Boaz, Jesus paid the price to redeem the “family land” (earth) and redeemed us to be His bride! “…you were not redeemed with corruptible things…but with the precious blood of Christ…” 1 Peter 1:18-19

Like Ruth, we are now the bride of a Man of infinite wealth—heirs of a great estate!

ewq1938
Nov 7th 2013, 01:59 AM

So Moses said essentially that Christ would be like him, right?