PDA

View Full Version : Matthew 7 looking for input

Scooby_Snacks
Nov 6th 2013, 05:08 PM
I am wondering if anyone has some insight as to how verse 6 fits in with the rest of the context in this chapter?
What is He trying to tell us ?
Some translations place verse 6 within 1-5 verses, while other separate it from both 1-5 and 7-11.

1 Judge not, that you be not judged.
2 For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.
3 Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?
4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye?
5 You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

6 “Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you.

Thank you in advance

Old man
Nov 6th 2013, 05:22 PM
I am wondering if anyone has some insight as to how verse 6 fits in with the rest of the context in this chapter?
Some translations place verse 6 within 1-5 verses, while other separate it from both 1-5 and 7-11.

2 For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.
3 Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?
4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye?
5 You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.
6 “Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you.

Thank you in advance

Good morning (at least here it is) Scooby;

Every topic in chapters matt 5-7 relate back to this one verse.

Matt 5:20 “For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.”

They (the topics) are all comparisons between the level of righteousness which the scribes and Pharisees had which was not of a quality that would give them entrance into the kingdom heaven with the quality of righteousness Christ said would give one entrance into heaven. He is describing a level of righteousness that surpasses that of scribes and Pharisees.

jayne
Nov 6th 2013, 05:31 PM
Here's what David Guzik says:

3. (6) BALANCING LOVE WITH DISCERNMENT

“Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces.”
a. Do not give what is holy to the dogs: After He warned us against judgmental attitudes and self-blind criticism, Jesus here reminded us that He did not mean to imply that the people of His Kingdom suspend all discernment. They must discern that there are some good, precious things that should not be given to those who will receive them with contempt. i. We might say that Jesus means, “Don’t be judgmental, but don’t throw out all discernment either.” ii. The dogs and swine here are often understood as those who are hostile to the Kingdom of God and the message that announces it. Our love for others must not blind us to their hardened rejection of the good news of the kingdom. iii. Yet we may also see this in the context of the previous words against hypocrites. It may be that in Jesus’ mind, the dogs and swine represent hypocritical, judgmental believers. These sinning hypocrites should not be offered the pearls that belong to the community of the saints. iv. “The Didache, or, to give it its full name, The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles, which dates back to a.d. 100 and which is the first service order book of the Christian Church, lays it down: “Let no one eat or drink of your Eucharist except those baptized into the name of the Lord; for as regards this, the Lord has said, ‘Give not that which is holy unto dogs.’” (Barclay) v. Jesus also spoke in the context of correcting another brother or sister. Godly correction is a pearl (though it may sting for a moment) that must not be cast before swine (those who are determined not to receive it).

episkopos
Nov 6th 2013, 07:11 PM

Thank you in advance

Be careful when trying to explain spiritual things to the carnally religious.

exitludos
Nov 6th 2013, 07:22 PM
Verse six is a separate saying from the ones that precede and follow it.

pekoe
Nov 6th 2013, 07:32 PM
Hello Scooby_Snacks.

He may have meant not to support those who profess to believe in God, but don't:

"The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire." 2 Pet.2:22

Nick
Nov 6th 2013, 11:08 PM
Matt 7:6 starts a new thought, which is why it is the beginning sentence of a new paragraph. In any case, this principle is why Jesus himself did not do miracles for unbelievers (13:58). This is to be done in respect for what is holy, not merely out of contempt for the dogs and swine. Nothing here contradicts the principle of 5:44. That verse governs personal dealings with one’s enemies; this principle governs how one handles the gospel in the face of those who hate the truth.

jayne
Nov 6th 2013, 11:23 PM
Matt 7:6 starts a new thought, which is why it is the beginning sentence of a new paragraph. In any case, this principle is why Jesus himself did not do miracles for unbelievers (13:58). This is to be done in respect for what is holy, not merely out of contempt for the dogs and swine. Nothing here contradicts the principle of 5:44. That verse governs personal dealings with one’s enemies; this principle governs how one handles the gospel in the face of those who hate the truth.

I'm not sure by your sentence in red. Jesus did miracles for unbelievers all the time. The 5000 who were fed in particular did not believe and walked away from Jesus in unbelief. Isn't 13:58 talking about His hometown at a particular time when they questioned Him and not people in general?

Scooby_Snacks
Nov 7th 2013, 12:37 AM
There is a lot here I am chewing on-- by all means continue and thank you for input so far. Very grateful.

Nick
Nov 7th 2013, 06:37 AM
I'm not sure by your sentence in red. Jesus did miracles for unbelievers all the time. The 5000 who were fed in particular did not believe and walked away from Jesus in unbelief. Isn't 13:58 talking about His hometown at a particular time when they questioned Him and not people in general?

"And he did not do many mighty works there, because of their unbelief." Jesus will not force his miracles on a hostile, skeptical audience. It stands in contradiction to the character and will of Jesus to heal where there is fundamental rejection of him (unbelief). Nevertheless, Jesus continues teaching.

jayne
Nov 7th 2013, 12:45 PM
"And he did not do many mighty works there, because of their unbelief." Jesus will not force his miracles on a hostile, skeptical audience. It stands in contradiction to the character and will of Jesus to heal where there is fundamental rejection of him (unbelief). Nevertheless, Jesus continues teaching.

But Nick, he DID heal there where his hometown people rejected him.

4 Then Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his hometown, among his relatives, and in his household.” 5 So He was not able to do any miracles[a (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark+6#fen-HCSB-24413a)] there, except that He laid His hands on a few sick people and healed them. 6 And He was amazed at their unbelief.

There WAS a "fundamental rejection of him" from countless people who witnessed His miracles. How is it "contradictory to His character to heal in front of people who don't believe him." The miracles were for their unbelief.

Granted, Jesus made the decision not to perform miracles (except healing ones) in His hometown because of some people's unbelief.

But the Pharisees for one thing, wanted to kill him after seeing them.

Again, what about the 5000 who were fed miraculously who did not believe Him. NONE of them believed Him and walked away from Him thinking He was a nut!

I think His not performing big miracles in His hometown to convince them of who He was was just that - in His hometown.

Curtis
Nov 7th 2013, 12:59 PM

Thank you in advance

Jesus did not say not to judge your brother, but make sure you are not doing the same thing that you telling your brother not to do.
If you try this with on a ungodly person they will hate you, but if do it unto a Godly person they will love you. That is casting your pearls before swine.

Pro 9:7 Whoever corrects a scoffer gets himself abuse, and he who reproves a wicked man incurs injury.
Pro 9:8 Do not reprove a scoffer, or he will hate you; reprove a wise man, and he will love you.
Pro 9:9 Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser; teach a righteous man, and he will increase in learning.

shepherdsword
Nov 7th 2013, 01:06 PM
I view the statement in the context it was given..correction. Jesus tells us to first clear our own vision so we will have a pure perspective. I think in this context He is saying to know the right time to address a situation. If you try to correct a brother and he isn't ready all he will do is react in self defense. Just my take on it in a practical way.

Scooby_Snacks
Nov 7th 2013, 03:21 PM
Good morning (at least here it is) Scooby;

Every topic in chapters matt 5-7 relate back to this one verse.

They (the topics) are all comparisons between the level of righteousness which the scribes and Pharisees had which was not of a quality that would give them entrance into the kingdom heaven with the quality of righteousness Christ said would give one entrance into heaven. He is describing a level of righteousness that surpasses that of scribes and Pharisees.

I will have to go back and read the three chapters together, and see this trend myself.
I know I have read them separately, but I haven't ever thought of it this way so thank you.

I have always found it fascinating how much Jesus spoke against doing as the religious leaders of the day did. This is what angered Him the most, and secondly, taking what is sacred and using it for ones own profit, like the money changers and sellers in the temple.

When I read about dogs and pigs, I came to understand that they are both considered unclean animals, that even if one were to bathe them, their true nature would not change, they would just be clean on the outside. It is Godly Wisdom to discern the nature of a person.

I have found myself very sensitive about judgmental attitudes. Times when I need correcting I am much more apt to hear and respond from someone I do not sense this from. From someone who I know doesn't think they are perfect because they have said so, humbly.

Scooby_Snacks
Nov 7th 2013, 03:35 PM

I really like David Guzik.
He did cover more areas and something's I was wondering about. Like the Eucharist for an example of something Holy. To partake in The Lord's Supper is to believe in what He did, remember and be grateful. It seems that partaking without believing is an empty ritual for others to see, and would be highly offensive to Him.

Old man
Nov 7th 2013, 04:09 PM
I will have to go back and read the three chapters together, and see this trend myself.
I know I have read them separately, but I haven't ever thought of it this way so thank you.

I have always found it fascinating how much Jesus spoke against doing as the religious leaders of the day did. This is what angered Him the most, and secondly, taking what is sacred and using it for ones own profit, like the money changers and sellers in the temple.

When I read about dogs and pigs, I came to understand that they are both considered unclean animals, that even if one were to bathe them, their true nature would not change, they would just be clean on the outside. It is Godly Wisdom to discern the nature of a person.

I have found myself very sensitive about judgmental attitudes. Times when I need correcting I am much more apt to hear and respond from someone I do not sense this from. From someone who I know doesn't think they are perfect because they have said so, humbly.

Good morning again Scooby;

There are actually two contexts being covered here and it can be difficult to separate them out.

The first is Matthew’s purpose of writing the gospel by inspiration of the Holy Spirit. The topics he includes in the sermon of the mount are not all included in the one recorded in Luke (who wrote things in consecutive order – as an accurate historical document) but Luke does include many of them in other parts of his gospel showing that Christ actually taught them at a different point in time. This leads me to believe that many of those Matt included were from other “mountain top conferences” Christ gave and not from one single conference as many believe. It is then logical to conclude that Matthew had another purpose than just the topic in view when he included them. And that purpose deals with comparing the righteousness of the current administration (scribes and Pharisees) with real righteousness. Every lesson Matthew includes he writes in the form of a comparison and interestingly enough the very last comparison Matthew makes is:

Matt 7:28-29 “When Jesus had finished these words, the crowds were amazed at His teaching; (29) for He was teaching them as one having authority, and not as their scribes.”

The other context is of course the actual lesson being taught by Christ when and where He actually gave it. Matthew has another reason for including them here than just repeating the lessons Christ taught. His purpose of putting in all these comparisons was to show the struggling Jewish Christians who were being swamped by the current scribes and Pharisees (who were denying Christ’s resurrection - Matt. 28:12-15) that the Pharisees and Christ were not even in the same league concerning righteousness, truth and authority. This is just one of the many steps he takes through this gospel to prove to the struggling Jewish believers that yes Jesus is the Messiah in spite of what the religious leaders (scribes and Pharisees say – they are wrong Jesus is right).

ewq1938
Nov 9th 2013, 05:21 AM
Again, what about the 5000 who were fed miraculously who did not believe Him. NONE of them believed Him and walked away from Him thinking He was a nut!

How could they have known it was a miracle? Also, where is it written none of them believed?

ewq1938
Nov 9th 2013, 05:23 AM
Matt 7:6 starts a new thought, which is why it is the beginning sentence of a new paragraph. In any case, this principle is why Jesus himself did not do miracles for unbelievers (13:58).

lol, it does not say that:

Mat 13:58 And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.

It says he didn't do many, not none.

ewq1938
Nov 9th 2013, 05:38 AM

Joh 6:10 And Jesus said, Make the men sit down. Now there was much grass in the place. So the men sat down, in number about five thousand.
Joh 6:11 And Jesus took the loaves; and when he had given thanks, he distributed to the disciples, and the disciples to them that were set down; and likewise of the fishes as much as they would.
Joh 6:12 When they were filled, he said unto his disciples, Gather up the fragments that remain, that nothing be lost.
Joh 6:13 Therefore they gathered them together, and filled twelve baskets with the fragments of the five barley loaves, which remained over and above unto them that had eaten.
Joh 6:14 Then those men, when they had seen the miracle that Jesus did, said, This is of a truth that prophet that should come into the world.
Joh 6:15 When Jesus therefore perceived that they would come and take him by force, to make him a king, he departed again into a mountain himself alone.

It wasn't "none".

Nick
Nov 9th 2013, 06:31 AM
lol, it does not say that:

When you type "lol" in a mocking way, does it make you feel better about yourself? Just curious.

ewq1938
Nov 9th 2013, 06:35 AM
When you type "lol" in a mocking way, does it make you feel better about yourself? Just curious.

lol stands for "laugh out loud". It is not mockery. I often find it funny (amusing) when someone makes a claim about such and such scripture without actually posting the actual verse but when it's fact checked, it does not say what the person, you, said it said.

So, instead of redirecting it to me as if I have done something wrong, why don't you admit the scriptural error?

Nick
Nov 9th 2013, 06:38 AM
lol stands for "laugh out loud". It is not mockery. I often find it funny (amusing) when someone makes a claim about such and such scripture without actually posting the actual verse but when it's fact checked, it does not say what the person, you, said it said.

So, instead of redirecting it to me as if I have done something wrong, why don't you admit the scriptural error?

Good then direct your "lol's" to the translators since that's where I got the additional clarification. I'm sure your intellectual prowess far exceeds theirs. Remind me again your credentials in exegesis. I'm sure you're published somewhere.

Matt. 7:6 Do not give dogs what is holy. This principle is why Jesus himself did not do miracles for unbelievers (13:58). This is to be done in respect for what is holy, not merely out of contempt for the dogs and swine. Nothing here contradicts the principle of 5:44. That verse governs personal dealings with one’s enemies (see note there); this principle governs how one handles the gospel in the face of those who hate the truth.

ewq1938
Nov 9th 2013, 06:51 AM
You haven't proven your claim.

You stated, "In any case, this principle is why Jesus himself did not do miracles for unbelievers (13:58)."

Yet the verse does NOT support this statement:

The translators have put "not many" because that is what the manuscripts say.

Whatever you have quoted is in ERROR obviously.

Good then direct your "lol's" to the translators since that's where I got the additional clarification. I'm sure your intellectual prowess far exceeds theirs. Remind me again your credentials in exegesis. I'm sure you're published somewhere.

Matt. 7:6 Do not give dogs what is holy. This principle is why Jesus himself did not do miracles for unbelievers (13:58). This is to be done in respect for what is holy, not merely out of contempt for the dogs and swine. Nothing here contradicts the principle of 5:44. That verse governs personal dealings with one’s enemies (see note there); this principle governs how one handles the gospel in the face of those who hate the truth.

Nick
Nov 9th 2013, 06:53 AM
You bore me. Moving on.

ewq1938
Nov 9th 2013, 06:56 AM
You bore me. Moving on.

Do you still think Mat 13:58 says Christ does not heal unbelievers as you have claimed, and quoted someone to have said?

Admit the truth Nick. It will benefit you more than ignoring it.

jayne
Nov 9th 2013, 08:38 PM
How could they have known it was a miracle? Also, where is it written none of them believed?

Glad you asked .....

John 6:1 says that those people were following Jesus because they had seen many healing miracles.
John 6:14 says that after "they had seen Jesus work the miracle (of the feeding)" that they decided He was the Prophet (with a capital P - the one Moses spoke of). But read on and see how they never actually received Him. And it says that Jesus left them because He knew that they would try to force Him to be their kingly provider and He left them.
They followed Jesus in John 6:22-70 and He TRIED to teach them about His being the Bread of Life, but all they were interested in was more food and more earthly provision. They were rude to Jesus and insulted Him. And finally - after they were disgusted with His explanation of "eating my Body", they turned away.

They had seen the healing miracles and had acknowledged the feeding miracle AS a miracle. But they didn't trust nor believe Jesus.

And when Jesus told them that their work was to believe on the One who was sent by God - meaning Himself, they dared to say "Well, show us a miracle and we will believe you." John 6:30. This after they had witnessed several.

Banislam
Nov 10th 2013, 12:25 AM

I'm not trying to discourage you but be careful posting stuff from David Guzik. On the bottom of his pages it say's,

"© 2009 David Guzik - No distribution beyond personal use without permission"

Scooby_Snacks
Jan 25th 2014, 03:52 PM
Good morning again Scooby;

There are actually two contexts being covered here and it can be difficult to separate them out.

The first is Matthew’s purpose of writing the gospel by inspiration of the Holy Spirit. The topics he includes in the sermon of the mount are not all included in the one recorded in Luke (who wrote things in consecutive order – as an accurate historical document) but Luke does include many of them in other parts of his gospel showing that Christ actually taught them at a different point in time. This leads me to believe that many of those Matt included were from other “mountain top conferences” Christ gave and not from one single conference as many believe. It is then logical to conclude that Matthew had another purpose than just the topic in view when he included them. And that purpose deals with comparing the righteousness of the current administration (scribes and Pharisees) with real righteousness. Every lesson Matthew includes he writes in the form of a comparison and interestingly enough the very last comparison Matthew makes is:

The other context is of course the actual lesson being taught by Christ when and where He actually gave it. Matthew has another reason for including them here than just repeating the lessons Christ taught. His purpose of putting in all these comparisons was to show the struggling Jewish Christians who were being swamped by the current scribes and Pharisees (who were denying Christ’s resurrection - Matt. 28:12-15) that the Pharisees and Christ were not even in the same league concerning righteousness, truth and authority. This is just one of the many steps he takes through this gospel to prove to the struggling Jewish believers that yes Jesus is the Messiah in spite of what the religious leaders (scribes and Pharisees say – they are wrong Jesus is right).

Hi Oldman,

It took me a while to get back to this, so for that I apologize. I remember the thread getting sidetracked- :blush: so hopefully you will be around to continue.
I took some time to really read what you were saying here, and remembering my original question garnered several different responses, I am getting back to this idea- I bolded your text above as this main thought.
Reading Matthew 7 as a whole, I find this chapter to be most important for living in Christ. Here is my breakdown of pertinent teaching to take or leave.

1. Judge not or you will be judge with equal measure. This kind of judging is different than discerning, it is harmful rather than helpful.

2. Carefully guard your heart and wisdom of His Word from those I would call of the circumcision. Religious unbelievers.

3. Ask in confidence from God our Father as we can now come before His throne through Christ boldly by grace.

4. Treat others as we wish to be treated, the law of love and of the prophets.

5. Enter in through the narrow gate (Christ) rather than the wide easy path of destruction that is more popular.

5. Discern those who are not His by their fruit (bad) being wise as serpents toward those who are in unbelief and rebellion against the truth of The Gospel.

6. Be in His will rather than ones own. Outward religiosity will not give access to eternal life. Without knowing and being known by Jesus, destruction is certain.

7. Build ones house on Jesus as the rock and foundation. There is no other foundation for building.
1 Corinthians 3:11
For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
We cannot uphold our own house, only He can.

8. Jesus wisdom/Godly wisdom comes from above. Any other wisdom such as from the scribes/pharisees or other false teachers might be compared to that in

James 3:13-18

Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth.
This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, un-spiritual, demonic.
For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice.
But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.
And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.

episkopos
Jan 25th 2014, 04:03 PM

Thank you in advance

The idea is don't mix the holy with the un-holy.

Noeb
Jan 25th 2014, 10:21 PM
3. (6) BALANCING LOVE WITH DISCERNMENT

“Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces.”

a. Do not give what is holy to the dogs: After He warned us against judgmental attitudes and self-blind criticism, Jesus here reminded us that He did not mean to imply that the people of His Kingdom suspend all discernment. They must discern that there are some good, precious things that should not be given to those who will receive them with contempt.
i. We might say that Jesus means, “Don’t be judgmental, but don’t throw out all discernment either.”

I agree......

JFB Commentary
"Prostitution of Holy Things. The opposite extreme to that of censoriousness is here condemned"

I would say verses 1-12 go together, and as Old man said, continues from chapter 5

Mat 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
Mat 5:15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
Mat 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Mat 7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Scooby_Snacks
Jan 26th 2014, 04:49 PM
I agree......

JFB Commentary
"Prostitution of Holy Things. The opposite extreme to that of censoriousness is here condemned"

The Prostitution of Holy Things:
Base or unworthy use of something Holy.
It sort of fits with Curtis idea from Proverbs that it is unwise to correct a rebel.

The opposite extreme to that of censoriousness is here condemned:
Having a character that is severely critical; faultfinding; carping.

I had to look up censoriousness btw. :)

“Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you. Matthew 7:6

I am really glad Oldman put the three chapters together for me.

shepherdsword
Jan 26th 2014, 06:32 PM
Be careful when trying to explain spiritual things to the carnally religious.

You are really on point today eh brother? That's classic and one of the simplest explanations I have seen for this verse :lol:

(can't rep you again but I would if I could)