PDA

View Full Version : The garden tomb... How many people/angels were there?

Bnjmn
Nov 8th 2013, 12:25 AM
Reading through the Gosples, even though I have always seen this and wondered, I never paid too much attention to how many people really went to the tomb the morning of the resurrection.

In Matthew, we are only told that Mary Magdalene and the other Mary (always thought this to be Jesus' earthly mother) went to the tomb. The Gospel of Matthew only mentions one angel, and he is sitting on the stone he rolled away after a great earth quake (no other Gospel mentions an earth quake). The angel sent them to the disciples and they met Christ on their way.

The Gospel of Mark, however, also mentions the two Marys visiting the tomb and also only mentions one angel. There is no mention of the angel on the stone that Matthew tells about, but there is someone inside the tomb described as a young man, who I always thought to be an angel. No mention of Christ meeting her at the tomb or elsewhere. Just the two angels speaking to them.

The Gospel of Luke alludes to there being a larger crowd of women, the two Mary's and Joanna along with other woman who were not named. In Luke, there is also no mention of the angel on the stone, but there are two angels present this time. They told the Apostles and Peter went running to the tomb. No mention of Christ meeting them in the initial tomb setting to the journey to the Apostles.

John then also varies. He mentions that Mary Magdalene went to the tomb, apparently alone. She saw the stone rolled away (again, no angel on the stone) and immediately ran to get Peter and the other disciple whom Jesus loved (John). The other disciple beat Peter there. They are in the tomb, with Mary Magdalene outside and she sees two angels inside the tomb. She also sees Christ outside the tomb and sends her for the disciples.

I wonder if each account took place but at different times, but the way each is written they are all supposed to have taken place early in the morning ... But these differences in scripture have me a little baffled.

David Taylor
Nov 8th 2013, 12:51 AM
if you had 4 eyewitnesses to the jfk shooting record it, youll also get different stories,,,,all true, just different details.

one might only mention jfk in the car.
another might mention jfk and jackie only in the car.
a third might also mention mr and mrs connely in the car.
a 4th might focus on the secret service detachment around the car.

none of the stories conflict any other, or leave any baffling conundrum.

likewise the 4 resurrection accounts.

Bnjmn
Nov 8th 2013, 03:27 AM
if you had 4 eyewitnesses to the jfk shooting record it, youll also get different stories,,,,all true, just different details.

one might only mention jfk in the car.
another might mention jfk and jackie only in the car.
a third might also mention mr and mrs connely in the car.
a 4th might focus on the secret service detachment around the car.

none of the stories conflict any other, or leave any baffling conundrum.

likewise the 4 resurrection accounts.

That I get, but some of the details are so vastly different it is hard to collaborate. Such as Christ talking to Mary, or the fact that there was one, two or many women there and where in fact they all were.

ewq1938
Nov 8th 2013, 03:34 AM
There are no contradictions, only differences in details each provides.

Reading through the Gosples, even though I have always seen this and wondered, I never paid too much attention to how many people really went to the tomb the morning of the resurrection.

In Matthew, we are only told that Mary Magdalene and the other Mary (always thought this to be Jesus' earthly mother) went to the tomb. The Gospel of Matthew only mentions one angel, and he is sitting on the stone he rolled away after a great earth quake (no other Gospel mentions an earth quake). The angel sent them to the disciples and they met Christ on their way.

The Gospel of Mark, however, also mentions the two Marys visiting the tomb and also only mentions one angel. There is no mention of the angel on the stone that Matthew tells about, but there is someone inside the tomb described as a young man, who I always thought to be an angel. No mention of Christ meeting her at the tomb or elsewhere. Just the two angels speaking to them.

The Gospel of Luke alludes to there being a larger crowd of women, the two Mary's and Joanna along with other woman who were not named. In Luke, there is also no mention of the angel on the stone, but there are two angels present this time. They told the Apostles and Peter went running to the tomb. No mention of Christ meeting them in the initial tomb setting to the journey to the Apostles.

John then also varies. He mentions that Mary Magdalene went to the tomb, apparently alone. She saw the stone rolled away (again, no angel on the stone) and immediately ran to get Peter and the other disciple whom Jesus loved (John). The other disciple beat Peter there. They are in the tomb, with Mary Magdalene outside and she sees two angels inside the tomb. She also sees Christ outside the tomb and sends her for the disciples.

I wonder if each account took place but at different times, but the way each is written they are all supposed to have taken place early in the morning ... But these differences in scripture have me a little baffled.

Old man
Nov 8th 2013, 06:06 AM

Here is an attempt to reconcile the differences.... not saying it's right but perhaps worth at least considering.

This article (http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/aid/v7/n1/post-resurrection-appearances) is rather long but the part about the women visiting the tomb is about 1/4 the way down under the heading "the women (http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/aid/v7/n1/post-resurrection-appearances)"