PDA

View Full Version : Went to my first Bible Study last night

Dimaline
Nov 11th 2013, 10:52 PM
Exactly one week after my Baptism I decided to go to my first Bible Study with my cousin and her family and wow it was such a wonderful experience and I'm so glad that I went. I'm going to start doing this every Sunday evening since I work every Sunday morning and cannot make it to a normal/traditional service in Church. I had never been to a Bible Study before so I really didn't know what to expect and was quite nervous about it. It was at the house of one of my cousins friends and feller church-goer and I didn't realize it until I got there but it was the house of one of the teachers from my school when I was in High School. He is a very wonderful guy with a great wife so it helped ease the nervousness. It was very fitting that he was the guy that was in charge of it because he was fabulous in doing it. We read through about 3 passages from the Bible and reflected upon them.

So really at the start of this post I really didn't have much of a purpose for this except only to share that I have started doing this and I'm very excited about doing it but it got me thinking perhaps we can use this thread to discuss some of your favorite passages from the Bible and why they are your favorite ones. We can post the passage on here and than just go about reflecting on it. If you all want to. Otherwise I just wanted to let you all know I'm doing this and to also say Thank You to every single one of you for all the help you have provided me. It is because of you all that my faith has grown into what it has and I know with your continued help my faith can and will grow much more as time goes by. If someone wants to post a passage please feel free to. Or you can even tell of your experience of a Bible Study Group that you attend or have attended and tell what you think and how it has helped you or affected you in some way. Thank You All!! Love and Blessings to each and every one of you!!

Old man
Nov 12th 2013, 04:21 AM
Blessings to you Dimaline. At the moment I really like the gospel of Matthew. I'm slowly working my way through it. At the moment I'm in chapter 22. It's been a fun and enlightening study. I envy you being so new to this; you are not held down by years of preconceived ideas and notions. You have a fresh start. ;)

keck553
Nov 12th 2013, 04:23 AM
Prepare to be greatly blessed.

Dimaline
Nov 14th 2013, 10:04 PM
Blessings to you Dimaline. At the moment I really like the gospel of Matthew. I'm slowly working my way through it. At the moment I'm in chapter 22. It's been a fun and enlightening study. I envy you being so new to this; you are not held down by years of preconceived ideas and notions. You have a fresh start. ;)

Prepare to be greatly blessed.

Old man
I love the Gospel of Matthew, Although I have to be honest I've never read it all yet but I have seen the movie the Gospel According to Matthew and the movie is based on the actual Gospel and goes through it chapter by chapter and verse by verse. So much good quality information in the Gospel of Matthew. A lot of great stuff to live by and a lot of scary things for a person like me.

keck
I've already been blessed so many times and have faith that I will continue to be. I'm ready for Sunday evening to come around again so I can attend my 2nd Bible Study!! Thank you for you kind words!!

Boo
Nov 15th 2013, 10:45 AM
I prefer the assembling together of the people to study and discuss God's precepts and see how they apply to us today.

That, to me, is much better than sitting and listening to someone merely speak for an hour.

The blessings of the discussion and fellowship are bountiful.

Dimaline
Nov 15th 2013, 09:51 PM
I prefer the assembling together of the people to study and discuss God's precepts and see how they apply to us today.

That, to me, is much better than sitting and listening to someone merely speak for an hour.

The blessings of the discussion and fellowship are bountiful.

I feel the exact same way. That's why I love the one I go to. It is more of a discussion among all members of the group about matters of the Bible rather than just listening to one person talk all the time. It's a give and take by everyone and that's what makes it very educational for me and for everyone else I believe. I'm excited to keep going to learn more and grow my faith!!

Diggindeeper
Nov 16th 2013, 02:46 AM
Dimaline, I too always loved Bible study. My late husband and I use to sponsor a lot of them in our home. They grew and grew. We always encouraged group participation and discussing different view points.

My favorite passage, I think, is actually my signature here! It is
Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!"

Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance! I think that is profound.

Dimaline
Nov 17th 2013, 06:00 PM
Dimaline, I too always loved Bible study. My late husband and I use to sponsor a lot of them in our home. They grew and grew. We always encouraged group participation and discussing different view points.

My favorite passage, I think, is actually my signature here! It is
Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!"

Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance! I think that is profound.

Yeah I really love them. I'd even consider hosting one at my house however I live with a couple people who aren't as strong in religion as I am and I don't know if they'd have a problem with it. I plan to keep going every Sunday and I'm excited to see what passages we are going to discuss this evening!!

Dimaline
Nov 18th 2013, 10:07 PM
Do to the severe weather we had last night, Bible Study got canceled. We had a really bad thunderstorm that caused some power outages in and around the area so everyone thought it would be better to stay in and stay safe. I of course am a little disappointed about not having it but I certainly can understand the desire by everyone to stay safe. I hope that all of you on here are doing ok as I've seen on the News the severe weather was all across the US. May God be with everyone affected by this weather. Love and Blessings to You All!!

Diggindeeper
Nov 18th 2013, 11:52 PM
Yes, the storms have been life threatening and we DO need to keep those people in prayer! I've kept up on the news. I am glad you all staying in and stayed safe. In really, really bad, slick freezing weather here in Tennessee, once in a while our church services have been canceled. The good Lord does not expect us to go into life threatening situations.

I know you will miss the study, but there's always the next one! I am thrilled you so enjoy the Bible Study, friend. Because study of the Word ALWAYS has been a great love of mine too! I never tire of it, although I am WELL past retirement age! Been still learning in Bible Study for over a half century! (And still learning!)

Dimaline
Nov 19th 2013, 10:23 PM
Yes, the storms have been life threatening and we DO need to keep those people in prayer! I've kept up on the news. I am glad you all staying in and stayed safe. In really, really bad, slick freezing weather here in Tennessee, once in a while our church services have been canceled. The good Lord does not expect us to go into life threatening situations.

I know you will miss the study, but there's always the next one! I am thrilled you so enjoy the Bible Study, friend. Because study of the Word ALWAYS has been a great love of mine too! I never tire of it, although I am WELL past retirement age! Been still learning in Bible Study for over a half century! (And still learning!)

Yeah I've seen a lot on the News that the Storm(s) devastated quite a big part of the country, all those folks are definitely in my thoughts and prayers. I hope God gives them comfort and encouragement to keep moving forward and start to rebuild their lives. May God Bless and Watch over all of them. Yes it was for the best that Bible Study was canceled; I'm sure God wouldn't want us to endanger ourselves. He knows my heart and knows that I love him even if I do still struggle with Sin it's best to stay in and stay safe. I look forward to next Sunday evening and another Bible Study session. Stay Safe and Blessed Everyone!!