PDA

View Full Version : Matthew 25:37-40

ChangedByHim
Nov 12th 2013, 12:16 AM
Matthew 25:
37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink?38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

Here's what we do at my church every day... It's always the best part of my day, and the most time consuming. Our community is small (~10,000 people). These people are invisible... no one knows they're there, even though you can see their mattresses from the business highway. I now consider most of these people my best friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UULqnmSFEPDm0UvABxnl1Q_w&feature=player _detailpage&v=qHLHoPsx1gU

The vid does not show in my preview, so here's the link if there's a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHLHoPsx1gU&feature=c4-overview&list=UULqnmSFEPDm0UvABxnl1Q_w

Nick
Nov 12th 2013, 12:27 AM
We used to feed the homeless as a family until we got booted out of the park by the park ranger for not having a license. Apparently you need a license to buy pizza and pass it out to the homeless. We did this every weekend and need to start doing something along those lines again. Thanks for your post. I didn't get a chance to see the video before it was censored out but the verses reminded me of what should be a major part of my walk.

ChangedByHim
Nov 12th 2013, 12:47 AM
Hey Nick. I'm not sure what's up with the video. Maybe someone who's done embedding on this site can fix. The link works fine though.

Jake
Nov 12th 2013, 01:01 AM
I was able to see the video even without being logged in, it's good! Well put together! What you are doing is what we should all be doing, these people are there for the Church to take care of.

CBH, because of what you are doing there and the example you have set for us, several of us have started stuffing bags with canned foods, the kind you don't need a can opener to open, and plastic utensils. The people who do this are familiar with you because we all listen to your sermons and I have told them what you do in your community. We hand these bags out whenever we see someone in need. None of us are able to make an entire day of it and we can not pass them out to all the homeless, but hopefully what we do helps.

In the county we live in, on One Night Count, volunteers go around and count the homeless, there were almost 9,000 homeless people, and those were the ones they could find. Women and especially women who have children are hiding, so they believe there are between 11,000-12,000 homeless people in this county alone. There are more than enough churches in the county who should be taking care of these people, but they are still in great need of many necessities.

Thanks for your example, CBH!

ChangedByHim
Nov 12th 2013, 03:38 AM
That's awesome Jake! I am very blessed to hear that. When you do it unto the least, you've done it unto Jesus Himself.

ChangedByHim
Nov 12th 2013, 03:40 AM
Got the imbedded vid to work btw.

keck553
Nov 12th 2013, 04:08 AM
We tried to feed the hungry outside of our restaurant premises after hours, but the health department wouldn't allow it. They'd rather we throw the food away. So we just added some packaging and called it "takeout."

Slug1
Nov 12th 2013, 04:33 PM
Got the imbedded vid to work btw.I'll be viewing the video when I get home tonight... can't view it with this work puter.

Oregongrown
Nov 12th 2013, 05:07 PM
We are called to do for the less fortunate, but I've also been reminded of this verse when reading the Word.

Matthew 6:1-4 ESV

“Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. “Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

ChangedByHim
Nov 12th 2013, 05:36 PM
We tried to feed the hungry outside of our restaurant premises after hours, but the health department wouldn't allow it. They'd rather we throw the food away. So we just added some packaging and called it "takeout."

That's a shame. I'm glad you found a way around it brother.

Slug1
Nov 12th 2013, 06:35 PM
We tried to feed the hungry outside of our restaurant premises after hours, but the health department wouldn't allow it. They'd rather we throw the food away. So we just added some packaging and called it "takeout."This reminds me of when I was stationed in Kansas and when God had me serving at a Nazarene church in the area. We'd put together 400 "to-go" takeout meals and put them in the back of my pickup. With three 5gal coolers of cool-aid, we'd pull up on public grounds outside a local park area and stand our sign up and serve the homeless and those in need.

On Christmas, we finally got to use the court house's kitchen and cafeteria and we'd serve about 600 HOT meals to any and all who would come to eat. Serving this way on Christmas has been some of my cherished memories.

SirToady
Nov 14th 2013, 12:41 AM
Matthew 25:
37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink?38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

Here's what we do at my church every day... It's always the best part of my day, and the most time consuming. Our community is small (~10,000 people). These people are invisible... no one knows they're there, even though you can see their mattresses from the business highway. I now consider most of these people my best friends.

http://youtu.be/qHLHoPsx1gU

The vid does not show in my preview, so here's the link if there's a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHLHoPsx1gU&feature=c4-overview&list=UULqnmSFEPDm0UvABxnl1Q_w

It could be argued Christ was referring to those Jews who will suffer in the tribulation. Now, we all wish we could do more for the needy and we do what we can. But I think Christ was directing this towards his fellow Jews (brothers).

ChangedByHim
Nov 14th 2013, 01:00 AM
It could be argued Christ was referring to those Jews who will suffer in the tribulation. Now, we all wish we could do more for the needy and we do what we can. But I think Christ was directing this towards his fellow Jews (brothers).

Really? What about the sermon on the mount? Was that just for Jews too?

SirToady
Nov 14th 2013, 01:14 AM
Really? What about the sermon on the mount? Was that just for Jews too?

It could be argued that since that is who he was speaking to - yes. However, since Gentiles came by Grace we also are included.

ChangedByHim
Nov 14th 2013, 01:19 AM
It could be argued that since that is who he was speaking to - yes. However, since Gentiles came by Grace we also are included.

But not in Matthew 25?

SirToady
Nov 14th 2013, 01:30 AM
But not in Matthew 25?

Yes, in Mark, Matthew Luke, and John. Christians (aside from believing Jews) were not in the picture at all until after Pentecost.

ChangedByHim
Nov 14th 2013, 01:31 AM
Yes, in Mark, Matthew Luke, and John. Christians (aside from believing Jews) were not in the picture at all until after Pentecost.

Yes. But, obviously, the words of Jesus had greater context than His immediate audience.

SirToady
Nov 14th 2013, 01:34 AM
Yes. But, obviously, the words of Jesus had greater context than His immediate audience.

Most certainly, as does a lot of scripture. What do you suppose was/is the greatest hope for the Jew?

ChangedByHim
Nov 14th 2013, 02:19 AM
Most certainly, as does a lot of scripture. What do you suppose was/is the greatest hope for the Jew?

Knowing Jesus, of course.

SirToady
Nov 14th 2013, 02:33 AM
Knowing Jesus, of course.
No, sorry but they rejected him (as a false Messiah) and crucified him. The answer is THE KINGDOM THE KINGDOM THE KINGDOM which they would have received had they accepted him as the Messiah. And after the Tribulation those who accept him as the Messiah shall have their Kingdom. It is possible they will accept a false messiah (antichrist) who promises peace and allows Temple practices to resume.

SirToady
Nov 14th 2013, 03:37 AM
Permit me to submit a link that I found very useful in regards to the Bible. I recommend you check the Doctrinal Statement so that there is no misunderstanding as to what they believe, if you do not agree in their statement simply forget it, but I am very skeptical about anything regarding the Bible, yet I have found no reason not to disagree in the teachings.

http://www.lesfeldick.org/index.html

There is so much in the Bible and sometimes we need guidance to understand it. I am very comfortable in Les' frankness, simplicity, and citations in regards to the Word.

Jake
Nov 14th 2013, 04:26 AM
Permit me to submit a link that I found very useful in regards to the Bible. I recommend you check the Doctrinal Statement so that there is no misunderstanding as to what they believe, if you do not agree in their statement simply forget it, but I am very skeptical about anything regarding the Bible, yet I have found no reason not to disagree in the teachings.

http://www.lesfeldick.org/index.html

There is so much in the Bible and sometimes we need guidance to understand it. I am very comfortable in Les' frankness, simplicity, and citations in regards to the Word.

There is only ONE gospel! When Jesus spoke, He was speaking to all believers, everywhere, for all time.

Noeb
Nov 14th 2013, 05:57 AM
There is only ONE gospel! When Jesus spoke, He was speaking to all believers, everywhere, for all time.Hey Jake!
When Jesus preached 'the gospel of the kingdom' it had nothing to do with his death, burial, resurrection. To a Jew it was the arrival of the Messiah, and will still be the case when he returns.

Jake
Nov 14th 2013, 03:09 PM
Hey Jake!
When Jesus preached 'the gospel of the kingdom' it had nothing to do with his death, burial, resurrection. To a Jew it was the arrival of the Messiah, and will still be the case when he returns.

ST is trying to push the false teaching of two different gospels, he should start his own thread. This thread is about Jesus telling us to go and feed the poor and then we go and obey Him. If we are doers of the word and just not hearers, then it's difficult to get around it this.

Noeb
Nov 14th 2013, 04:07 PM
I didn't look at the link. I just saw it being pointed out when Matthew 25 takes place (future/his return/nations here at the time). We don't need to use or criticize use of Matthew 25 for feeding people. The concept is throughout scripture. Jesus was reaffirming that having mercy/loving is the law and those that do show mercy/love/do law will receive mercy. That has nothing to do with the death, burial, resurrection of Christ. It just doesn't. I don't know how that could be called a gospel.

Brother Paul
Nov 14th 2013, 04:21 PM
Matthew 25 is speaking of the judgment (sheeps and goats before the bema seat) not just Jews...secondly, all the Jews did not reject Him in fact the first 3,000 or so followers were Jewish...thirdly if all before Pentecost refers only to the rejecting Jews then we can throw it all away since all of it actually only applies to them...this is a dispensationalist error. All these things are to be taken as instruction for anyone who follows Christ (even the lessons we glean from the Old Testament in light of the New)...

Redeemed by Grace
Nov 14th 2013, 05:05 PM
Matthew 25 is speaking of the judgment (sheeps and goats before the bema seat) not just Jews...secondly, all the Jews did not reject Him in fact the first 3,000 or so followers were Jewish...thirdly if all before Pentecost refers only to the rejecting Jews then we can throw it all away since all of it actually only applies to them...this is a dispensationalist error. All these things are to be taken as instruction for anyone who follows Christ (even the lessons we glean from the Old Testament in light of the New)...

Amen to the bold, and an amen to the rest.

Noeb
Nov 14th 2013, 06:50 PM
only true if you do not believe in a millennial reign

the Seeker
Nov 14th 2013, 07:41 PM
No, sorry but they rejected him (as a false Messiah) and crucified him. The answer is THE KINGDOM THE KINGDOM THE KINGDOM which they would have received had they accepted him as the Messiah. And after the Tribulation those who accept him as the Messiah shall have their Kingdom. It is possible they will accept a false messiah (antichrist) who promises peace and allows Temple practices to resume.

Matthew 7:1-2
“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

He who is without sin, cast the first stone, said the sinless one to a bunch of sinners. Have you sinned against God? Then you are as the Pharisees and the "Jews" were. Your salvation is equal to theirs, invalidated due to your condemnation of an entire race of people.

For the record, according to Matthew 24, the "Jews" will be running for their lives when the Beast finally shows himself to the world.

Not every Jew rejected Jesus Christ, which some may have known Him as Yeshua, His given name. Remember the Bible? Jews wrote it. ALL of it. BTW, Lord Jesus is the King of the Jews. Do you still want to broad-brush an entire race of people, and invalidate the Lord's sacrifice for yourself? Remember, what we use to judge others, that measure will be used against us. Jesus wasn't talking to just the crowds in Matthew when He said what was written in chapter 7. The Disciples were there too, and He was talking to them as well. So, if that rule applies to the Disciples, as Peter found out that his scope of salvation, like yours currently, is too shortsighted. The WORLD is HIS, and He wants to save all humanity. do not just generally write off an entire race of people, because if Matthew 7:2-3 is accurate, then guess what?

ChangedByHim
Nov 14th 2013, 08:21 PM
Another soul winning thread turned into a theological debate. How bout that?

Noeb
Nov 14th 2013, 08:27 PM
It is in bible chat

ChangedByHim
Nov 14th 2013, 08:43 PM
It is in bible chat

Yes. Because there are usually only CRICKETTS in the Evangelism forum. :(

Noeb
Nov 14th 2013, 09:30 PM
True. Enjoyed the video BTW.

SirToady
Nov 15th 2013, 12:06 AM
Matthew 7:1-2
“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

He who is without sin, cast the first stone, said the sinless one to a bunch of sinners. Have you sinned against God? Then you are as the Pharisees and the "Jews" were. Your salvation is equal to theirs, invalidated due to your condemnation of an entire race of people.

For the record, according to Matthew 24, the "Jews" will be running for their lives when the Beast finally shows himself to the world.

Not every Jew rejected Jesus Christ, which some may have known Him as Yeshua, His given name. Remember the Bible? Jews wrote it. ALL of it. BTW, Lord Jesus is the King of the Jews. Do you still want to broad-brush an entire race of people, and invalidate the Lord's sacrifice for yourself? Remember, what we use to judge others, that measure will be used against us. Jesus wasn't talking to just the crowds in Matthew when He said what was written in chapter 7. The Disciples were there too, and He was talking to them as well. So, if that rule applies to the Disciples, as Peter found out that his scope of salvation, like yours currently, is too shortsighted. The WORLD is HIS, and He wants to save all humanity. do not just generally write off an entire race of people, because if Matthew 7:2-3 is accurate, then guess what?

Who said every Jew rejected Christ? Who said Christ was not King of the Jews? Who broad brushed anything? Who wrote off an entire race?

SirToady
Nov 15th 2013, 12:27 AM
Ok ChangedByHim I don't know how I got off topic but apparently we are way off base from what you started. My apologies.

Jake
Nov 19th 2013, 11:18 AM
40 area churches, including the church I attend while going to college, built transitional housing for women and children in this area. One of my friends, who I met on the forum, is heavily involved. Most of the women/children were abused and homeless, they can live here for up to 2 years. During that time, they learn how to budget, be better parents, learn different skills, be safe, and more importantly it is the opportunity for the Christian community to come together again and show their love for these families. It is a Christian organization behind this, but any women, from any religion are able to live here. These people are from area churches, all volunteers who built this building. 90% of the supplies were donated, for instance, one church donated all the doors and windows, another all the siding, a local hardware store, owned by Christians, donated all the hardware, and a local Christian car dealer has financially supported it (they started this entire process). I have helped some but not as much as I would have liked. Recently, groups or individuals could adopt rooms and purchase all items for each room. Here is a picture, with all the people from various surrounding churches. I am posting this because I believe this is an excellent example of how the Body of Christ, from many different denominations, can come together in the community and take care of it. The below picture is from the recent the ribbon cutting ceremony and if you want to know more - www.nohomelesskids.org (http://www.nohomelesskids.org).

ChangedByHim
Nov 19th 2013, 02:01 PM
Wow! That's awesome Jake. Now that's the BODY!

Jake
Nov 19th 2013, 02:54 PM
Wow! That's awesome Jake. Now that's the BODY!

I went to the ribbon cutting and it was overwhelming to think God built that building through 100's of volunteers using the gifts and talents He gave them. I was in awe, once again, of God - completely.

It's not going to stop once the families move in either, there are 100's of other volunteer opportunities for the Body to come together again and serve people in this place. There will be many churches involved assuring the upkeep of the building, the grounds and whatever else the families need here. There are 2 of these same type buildings in another part of the city and the same thing happened there as here, built about 7 or 8 years ago in the same manner.

peace -

shepherdsword
Nov 19th 2013, 07:00 PM
I fixed the video for you brother. I am deeply touched by it.

Blessings.

keck553
Nov 19th 2013, 07:09 PM
This reminds me of when I was stationed in Kansas and when God had me serving at a Nazarene church in the area. We'd put together 400 "to-go" takeout meals and put them in the back of my pickup. With three 5gal coolers of cool-aid, we'd pull up on public grounds outside a local park area and stand our sign up and serve the homeless and those in need.

On Christmas, we finally got to use the court house's kitchen and cafeteria and we'd serve about 600 HOT meals to any and all who would come to eat. Serving this way on Christmas has been some of my cherished memories.

Yeah. I have to admit its mostly my wife who loves to feed people, but she is gifted by the LORD in that way.

Slug1
Nov 19th 2013, 07:40 PM
Yeah. I have to admit its mostly my wife who loves to feed people, but she is gifted by the LORD in that way.HOOAH! We are all a "part" or "have" a part to fulfill in the Body of Christ

Oregongrown
Nov 28th 2013, 08:18 PM
We are called to do for the less fortunate, but I've also been reminded of this verse when reading the Word.

Matthew 6:1-4 ESV

“Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. “Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

Hi CBH, I hadn't seen the rep you gave me but I don't think it was a good rep since this is what you showed me,

Luke 6:28

New King James Version (NKJV)

28 bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt here, as I don't think you were saying you thought I was cursing you with those verses I posted. I simply felt led to remind us all that doing for others is something that we don't do on our own, God does that through us, and we need to remember to give all glory to him. Nothing personal or for any, one person, for all of us, God bless you as well, denise, a sister in Christ

episkopos
Nov 28th 2013, 09:39 PM
The new pope seems to do things befitting this thread...

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-ramps-charity-office-near-poor-sick-185905956.html

Oregongrown
Nov 28th 2013, 10:01 PM

It's really hard to do something for someone, keep it anonymous. I think it is in our nature (the flesh) to seek praise, I mean, speaking for myself. My sis is not saved, and for example, I went through school recently, and she kept saying she was proud of me. Well, I would say "I couldn't do anything without Christ, so He get's the glory". And she would say "yeah but, you had to do this or that". I was tempted to say, yeah, and pat myself on the back. But every day, I see more clearly, without Him, I am 100% able to do anything "good", there is no good in me except what is Christ.

I know there are things that are done "behind the scenes" that some never hear about, but God knows. I know because word gets out sometimes, about someone that has done more good works, then anyone you here about on the news or other. I know someone that has limited income, or "fixed" they call it, below poverty level. They make these little cards with a verse, then they stick in a 5, dollar bill. Then they go out into their day, and drop them in a basket at the grocery store, when no one sees. I was so taken by this unselfish giving that it drives me to do the same.

Oregongrown
Nov 28th 2013, 10:18 PM
Another soul winning thread turned into a theological debate. How bout that?

That's because we have many, different backgrounds, denominations, and opinions on this forum. Everyone thinks they are on the right track. We know not every, person can be though. But I try not to put any expectation on where a thread is going to go.

I knew a pastor once, I knew he and his wife, personal friends. I knew how he longed for his church to grow, he did have great expectations, but it never grew over about 100 people. But God gave me a message for my friend one day, that if he even reached one person, there was great rejoicing in heaven. We talked about Luke 15, the parable of the prodigal son.

ChangedByHim
Nov 28th 2013, 10:26 PM

Thank you for your judgment brother. God bless. I would say Happy Thanksgiving but you are Canadian, right?

episkopos
Nov 29th 2013, 02:40 AM
Thank you for your judgment brother. God bless. I would say Happy Thanksgiving but you are Canadian, right?

Yes...our thanksgiving is in October.... ;)

Aviyah
Nov 29th 2013, 02:44 AM
Yes...our thanksgiving is in October.... ;)

Good idea offsetting all that Halloween candy with real food :yes: