PDA

View Full Version : What event is Ezekiel talking about here?

Nick
Nov 15th 2013, 05:17 AM
The Day of the Wrath of the Lord

7:1 The word of the Lord came to me: 2 “And you, O son of man, thus says the Lord God to the land of Israel: An end! The end has come upon the four corners of the land. [1] 3 Now the end is upon you, and I will send my anger upon you; I will judge you according to your ways, and I will punish you for all your abominations. 4 And my eye will not spare you, nor will I have pity, but I will punish you for your ways, while your abominations are in your midst. Then you will know that I am the Lord.

5 “Thus says the Lord God: Disaster after disaster! [2] Behold, it comes. 6 An end has come; the end has come; it has awakened against you. Behold, it comes. 7 Your doom [3] has come to you, O inhabitant of the land. The time has come; the day is near, a day of tumult, and not of joyful shouting on the mountains. 8 Now I will soon pour out my wrath upon you, and spend my anger against you, and judge you according to your ways, and I will punish you for all your abominations. 9 And my eye will not spare, nor will I have pity. I will punish you according to your ways, while your abominations are in your midst. Then you will know that I am the Lord, who strikes.

exitludos
Nov 15th 2013, 05:44 AM
The destruction of Jerusalem and the original temple by Babylon.

In 597 BC, Babylon came to Jerusalem and took some of the royalty into exile.

Chapters 1-7, which are a single prophecy, was revealed to Ezekiel in 592 BC. In these chapters, God tells Ezekiel that judgment is about to come on Israel, and here is why. (The judgment described in chapters 5-7 is identical to the punishments for breaking the covenant. See Leviticus 26 and Deuteronomy 28-30.)

Chapters 8-19, which are the next prophecy, was revealed to Ezekiel just over a year later, in 591 BC. In these chapters, God goes into detail on what exactly the judgment on Israel will entail. Namely, God's spirit has abandoned the temple in Jerusalem, since it has been profaned and will be destroyed by Babylon.

Chapters 20-23 are the third, and comes another year later, 590 BC. Ezekiel continues to prophesy this judgment.

Chapters 24-25 are the fourth prophecy, and comes two years later, 588 BC. Babylon's assault on Jerusalem has begun.

Chapters 33.21-39.29 are the ninth prophecy, and comes three years later, 585 BC. Ezekiel and the Jews already in exile finally receive confirmation that Jerusalem has been destroyed. This was God's judgment. But then Ezekiel is told about return from exile.

bunnymuldare
Nov 15th 2013, 03:19 PM
Nick,
That's the Babylonian captivity during Daniel's lifetime.

The end of Ezekiel goes further in the future than just the return from Babylon, because it says in 37:28 "And the heathen shall know that I the Lord do sanctify Israel, when my sanctuary shall be in the midst of them for evermore."

I think the dry bones in Ezekiel 37 was the holocaust. Then Israel was brought back to life in 1948. We still have not seen the fulfillment of God's sanctuary being in the midst of them forever.

Nick
Nov 15th 2013, 04:13 PM
Thanks guys. It appeared to me that this might also be a foreshadowing of the end of times.