PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Love you neighbor as yourself, in Biblefoums

the Seeker
Nov 18th 2013, 03:51 PM
Has this ever happened to you?

{ex 1}
Tom Billy: I believe that OSAS is scriptural.
Billy Bean: You are on error. You misunderstand. Your exegesis is trash. Your doctrine is unscriptural.

Is this what we are to do to each other? Attack each other through our opposing viewpoints concerning scripture?

Jesus Christ warned us about these things in the Gospels. I believe it is time that we have a nice discussion about this problem.

Matthew 23:8-12
8 “But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9 And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. 10 Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah. 11 The greatest among you will be your servant. 12 For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

This passage is exactly what I was trying to say in the end times forum. I believe in exactly what this scripture says. Christ is the only one who can truly be called our teacher. I feel as though there are those who have forgotten that we are all brothers and sisters in the Lord. More importantly, I feel as though they have forgotten about the power of God. God judges, and He judges wisely. He knows what conditions each and every person has been subjected to, and has prepared and still is preparing people who have the experiences that will resonate with the people who so desperately need to hear the Message. Sure, It is easy to label a drug dealer a bad guy, but do you know about his background, the problems he is attempting to solve on his or her own, his educational situation, or what is truly necessary in order to bring that man into the light? We all have thoughts concerning the "drug dealer", but God knows all concerning that person. When He judges him, will He just toss Him into the Lake of Fire? No.

Revelation 20:12-14a
And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire.

Consider this. The Lord does not just bless the "righteous".

Matthew 5:43-48
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[i] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

If we only show respect to those who agree with us, then what are we doing that is "better" than the pharisees during Jesus' first advent? Nothing. If we only show favor to those who show us favor, can we honestly say that our "righteousness" is greater than that of a pharisee? Again, the answer is no.

I m not saying, "do not judge a person's doctrine". I am saying, "do not judge the person while analyzing and debating what that person believes. I know that this next portion is not written in a Bible, but we can see it with every post here on Bibleforums. Everyone's belief set is emotionally charged. We have to recognize that fact if we want to have honest and open conversations dealing with opposing viewpoints.

Am I wrong? What say you?

BrianW
Nov 18th 2013, 04:11 PM
I say that you can disagree with someone's post in a respectful way loving way. Of course you can't have just one set of "standard" in how you reply to everyone you interact with about every issue. We are all unique and different situation require different methods and style of communicating.

If the only way you can get through to a certain someone is to take the time to patiently disagree ( take the time and effort to make multiple posts and reiterate while expanding) and nudge them to understanding then do so. If the only way you can get through to someone is to give them a metaphorical smack upside the head do it. You don't have to be disrespectful to do this. There is never a good reason to throw a personal attack on someone ( You're just too stupid to see! or You are the blind trying to lead the blind! or worse.)
It's the reasons why and how you reply that matter. If you truly are trying to edify and be edified you will show good fruit. If you're just feeling snarky, sarcastic and mean and just want to tear down and beat down a person until they submit and agree you will show bad fruit,

And everyone will think you're stinky. :)

keck553
Nov 18th 2013, 04:47 PM
Sometimes when I read something I have to shake my head like a dog would do, flapping his ears - real fast. It's kind of like a "hard reset."

Hard to express that action in typing.

BrianW
Nov 18th 2013, 04:55 PM
:eek:

I bet I've gotten that response to my posts more than a few times! ( I know what you mean brother)

keck553
Nov 18th 2013, 05:08 PM
:eek:

I bet I've gotten that response to my posts more than a few times! ( I know what you mean brother)

I've shaken my head at my own posts, especially if i go back a few years....

BrianW
Nov 18th 2013, 05:11 PM
Ugg, when I first joined up to Christian forums ( long before I came to this one) I had so many questions and just plain out misguided opinions that I'd probably get sick if I read some of those old posts. * Sigh* I guess most of us have to go through that i order to grow eh?
Thank God there were good brothers and sisters with the patience and willingness to help me along with love instead of derision and impatience.

keck553
Nov 18th 2013, 05:22 PM
Ugg, when I first joined up to Christian forums ( long before I came to this one) I had so many questions and just plain out misguided opinions that I'd probably get sick if I read some of those old posts. * Sigh* I guess most of us have to go through that i order to grow eh?
Thank God there were good brothers and sisters with the patience and willingness to help me along with love instead of derision and impatience.

Well, some of that rebuking thing did me a lot of good.....but that was actually an expression of patience.

BrianW
Nov 18th 2013, 05:29 PM
Oh believe me, I got a whole lot of those loving metaphorical smacks in the head. :)

Spare the rod and spoil the child.

the Seeker
Nov 18th 2013, 07:35 PM
Maybe I am of base here, but there is a right way, and a wrong way, to handle a situation. In truth with love produces fruit for those wise enough to listen to sound instruction. To bash with "I-know-more-than-you" isn't going to produce any fruit, other than bitterness, resentment, and coffee-breaks. I was a Bible bashing preacher type at one point, but I had to grow up. We do not have to treat each other like we are the preachers and those who are reading our posts are the congregation. We are brothers and sisters, each bringing to the table things that we have learned. Do we have to behave like the rest of the world? I think not. I want people to call me "peculiar".

keck553
Nov 18th 2013, 07:55 PM
Maybe I am of base here, but there is a right way, and a wrong way, to handle a situation. In truth with love produces fruit for those wise enough to listen to sound instruction. To bash with "I-know-more-than-you" isn't going to produce any fruit, other than bitterness, resentment, and coffee-breaks. I was a Bible bashing preacher type at one point, but I had to grow up. We do not have to treat each other like we are the preachers and those who are reading our posts are the congregation. We are brothers and sisters, each bringing to the table things that we have learned. Do we have to behave like the rest of the world? I think not. I want people to call me "peculiar".

Well first of all, we are all brothers and we have one Master - Jesus the Messiah (Matthew 23). That in itself should put boundaries on our arrogance.

I think what we were all trying to say is that we all had to "grow up." So your experience is not a unique one. But it also means that we who have "been there" should recognize those who are arrogant in their views (and sometimes in error) and give them some grace. So you are correct that the response should be loving, but firmly Scriptural. Many times the poster will refuse to "listen" though....so the point is attempted from many different directions, again using Scripture. But at some point, we need to have the discernment to recognize whether someone is just stuck, confused, or trying to push some strange doctrine. It is easier to recognize those "alarm bells" in person, in a forum....maybe it takes a bit longer.

But at this point, it is the moderator's role to catch that and take appropriate action.

Am I on track with your OP?

the Seeker
Nov 18th 2013, 08:08 PM
Absolutely. I am just venting my frustration, that's all. Everyone in this thread is making statements that are relevant to this thread. I would like to continue to exchange ideas, but this is the last website I am going to make that attempt with. If I fail, I do not want it to be because I have not practiced what I am preaching right now.

As far as the Moderators are concerned, why, if we are all believers, are they needed? The answer is because emotions are involved and people do fly off of the handle. The reasoning may or may not be related to what one of us wrote. I am simply attempting to eliminate one of their responsibilities by saying to all of us believers, myself included, to remember whom we serve. If Jesus Christ is our Lord, then we need to treat each other like brothers and sisters. False doctrines and false prophets can easily be revealed when true believers stop arguing with such fervor against each other. It's not completely wrong to disagree, but I am hoping that I am just reacting to other threads from other forums that triggered me to go off in this direction. I believe that there is a right way to debate.

If anyone else has a hankering to blast off with their frustrations over the way they feel as though they are being offended because of hateful speech, feel free to chime in. For those who think I am talking about them, chime in. All I ask is to not be verbally sacrificed, as I will do my best to reciprocate.

BrianW
Nov 18th 2013, 08:46 PM
Nope. That's not going to fly here. Having a discussion about how people interact is all fine and dandy but trying to dictate what this boards vision and how moderators do their jobs and why won't. Just in case you haven't read it ( and by your posts here I have a real good feeling that you haven't) it's summed up right here:

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php/211977-Bibleforums-Posting-and-Forum-guidelines

III. Conduct

As this is a Christian message board, conduct becoming a Christian is what is expected. We all come from different backgrounds and convictions and each member has their own different personalities and style of communicating through the written word. Remember first and foremost that we come together because of Christ and stand under Him and are accountable in all you say and do. We do not have to agree but allow anothers disagreement to drive you into the Word for answers. Nobody has all the answers, and even in debates with gusto and passion remember that we cannot find the bottom of the knowledge of God in the flesh. We are called into fellowship in order to share, uplift and grow in our shared faith. Name calling, belittling, cutting down anothers beliefs, sour attitude or general conduct not becoming a brother or sister in the faith will not be tolerated. Keep your words well salted, in love and centered in the Light.

What also isn't going to fly is you coming in here out of the blue and trying to teach the rest of us how it ( whatever it is ) should be done. I suggest that you read the rest of whats contained in the posts that I linked to above.
And in closing: If you don't like what you "think" this board is all about and how it's run then feel free to leave and start your own forum.

Thread closed.