PDA

View Full Version : Noah: The Movie

Bnjmn
Nov 23rd 2013, 07:28 PM
I love Christian films but tend to be wary of biblical movies because they tend to go Hollywood and add things to the story that should not be there. That brings me to a preview that I just saw for the new movie about Noah's Arc. Here is the preview.

http://youtu.be/6qmj5mhDwJQ

As you can see, they added a lot to the story, so I am wary of watching it, even though I love the story of Noah. It is not true to the Word of God. I know that it is for entertainment purposes, but I think they could have stuck a bit closet to what The Bible says happened. After all, a world wide flood that kills all but eight people should be exciting enough without a battle taking place.

Thoughts? Would you see this movie?

Aviyah
Nov 23rd 2013, 07:46 PM
Looks awesome! I doubt they will portray the Nephilim correctly though - if they even mention the race. In fact, I'd rather they not mention the Nephilim so no one has to sit through a Biblical film with characters who should be in Harry Potter or Narnia. But as long as there are no serious Hollywood-esque contradictions (like someone manages to sneak on the boat, oooh conspiracy!) I'll definitely give the film a shot. I'm actually working on my own take on the Flood narrative (mainly the world beforehand), so it will be interesting to see another's interpretation.

The preview didn't indicate to me that it will be totally outlandish - like Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer - so as long as:

A) No extra-terrestrials.
B) No more/less than 8 people survive.
C) No good people drown.
D) No direct quotations from God that aren't in the Bible.

I'm okay with a creative spin and some sort of conflict. It isn't necessarily unlikely, and you can't really have a film without conflict in the plot. I don't think this particular director would make something totally crazy - there will be at least a realistic quality to it, which I can appreciate given that many people consider this a fairy tale.

What I'm NOT looking forward to is the unavoidable debate that will explode between atheists and creationists, much less the arguments that will ensue within religious circles. These are what will distort the Genesis account - not the film. Seems only the right-brained can appreciate historical fiction for what it's worth (JK :hug:).

Bnjmn
Nov 23rd 2013, 07:52 PM
Looks awesome! I doubt they will portray the Nephilim correctly though - if they even mention the race. In fact, I'd rather they not mention the Nephilim so no one has to sit through a Biblical film with characters who should be in Harry Potter or Narnia. But as long as there are no serious Hollywood-esque contradictions (like someone manages to sneak on the boat, oooh conspiracy!) I'll definitely give the film a shot. I'm actually working on my own take on the Flood narrative (mainly the world beforehand), so it will be interesting to see another's interpretation.

The preview didn't indicate to me that it will be totally outlandish - like Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer - so as long as:

A) No extra-terrestrials.
B) No more/less than 8 people survive.
C) No good people drown.
D) No direct quotations from God that aren't in the Bible.

I'm okay with a creative spin and some sort of conflict. It isn't necessarily unlikely, and you can't really have a film without conflict in the plot. I don't think this particular director would make something totally crazy - there will be at least a realistic quality to it, which I can appreciate given that many people consider this a fairy tale.

Well reasoned. I'd give you rep, but it says I must spread some around first

Aviyah
Nov 23rd 2013, 07:56 PM
Well reasoned. I'd give you rep, but it says I must spread some around first

Thanks, it's the thought that counts anyway! :yes:

ImpatientlyWaiting
Nov 23rd 2013, 08:08 PM
Saw the trailer last night in the theater. I'm cautiously hopeful because it looks really good, but I absolutely do not trust Hollywood to not add, take away, or in some way try to screw up the Lord's work.

We will be going to see it likely as not. Anthony Hopkins as Methuselah would be a delight. One thing I will be keeping an eye out for is whether they have God shut the ark or Noah build some contrived rig to do it. God's hand sealing them in is an important part of the story that other Noah movies have screwed up.

episkopos
Nov 23rd 2013, 08:29 PM
As long as there are no zombies in it...!

The story is adapted to make the story of Noah look like a myth. Like an ancient Norse tale or other.

Dimaline
Nov 23rd 2013, 08:41 PM
Since finding my religion this past summer I have bought about 10 to 15 Biblical Movies and I have found that the ones that are part of the "Bible Series" and the "Bible Collection" Films are the best ones as far as sticking with the actual Bible. There is still some Hollywood in them which I don't like but not as bad as The Ten Commandments or Passion of the Christ which are still great movies but I'd say a lot more Hollywood in them than the Bible Films. I heard that this movie was coming out some time next year and I do plan to go see it when it comes out. Definitely looks like a lot of Hollywood but still looks pretty good.

Aviyah
Nov 23rd 2013, 09:54 PM
As long as there are no zombies in it...!

The story is adapted to make the story of Noah look like a myth. Like an ancient Norse tale or other.

Yeah, I was getting nordic vibes watching this too.

Aliester Punim
Nov 23rd 2013, 10:09 PM
haha kinda hard to avoid the nordic vibe when everyone is white with British accents, which to be fair is Hollywood shorthand for anything ancient looks pretty cool though I guess. I think it would be hard to not make it look like a myth because all manner off miraculous stuff happens, i dont know how you could make all that epic business look "realistic" anyway. I pretty much see anything with anthony hopkins in it so they have my 10 bucks already.