PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Why did Eve say this?

SirToady
Nov 25th 2013, 12:15 AM
"And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD."

We know Adam and Eve procreated before and after expulsion from the garden. Maybe its just me but it seems that there is more to this than just simply what Eve said.

Ceegen
Nov 25th 2013, 01:11 AM
God creates life, and by no other is life created. Eve wouldn't have got pregnant if God didn't want her to be. Many women in the bible were considered barren, until the Lord opened their womb.

"And when the Lord saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb: but Rachel was barren." - Genesis 29:31.

"And God remembered Rachel, and God hearkened to her, and opened her womb." - Genesis 30:22.

Aviyah
Nov 25th 2013, 01:11 AM
I believe she thought Cain was the one who would save them.

We know Adam and Eve procreated before and after expulsion from the garden.

What do you mean they procreated before expulsion? Where did you get that from?

Brother Paul
Nov 25th 2013, 01:40 AM
"And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD."

We know Adam and Eve procreated before and after expulsion from the garden. Maybe its just me but it seems that there is more to this than just simply what Eve said.

I believe she thought he was the "seed" of the woman that the Lord spoke of in 3:15...the Targumim from the 1st century Palestinian Targum) interprets it "I have gotten a man; the Angel of the Lord" (see Exodus 3)...

jayne
Nov 25th 2013, 02:33 AM
Here's my take.

Think about Adam and his reaction to having a wife come from his body. Think of what he said when God presented Eve to him - "At last! At last! Bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh!" He was overcome with joy unspeakable and a feeling of great completion.

When Eve endured those labor pains and that tiny baby came out of her body and she realized the magnitude of it all - the miraculousness of it all - I think she was overwhelmed with amazement and excitement and joy and shock and experienced a wide-eyed epiphany of how awesome God is.

I think she's just saying "Wow! Look at what has been created though me because of God!!"

God had told her being pregnant and giving birth wasn't going to be pleasant - and for a while, I'm sure she grieved over her own sin that brought this on, BUT I think she bore that child, she was just expressing the wonder of it all. The focus on the curse was gone and she viewed this baby as a great blessing.

To me, that's all there is to it.

Bnjmn
Nov 25th 2013, 02:37 AM
Cain was the first born of Adam and Eve. Which came after God kicked them out of the Garden of Eden

LandShark
Nov 25th 2013, 03:27 AM

Interesting question SirToady, one I have never really considered... but I will and if I learn anything I will come back to this. Until then, just as an aside, the next verse begins, "and she again bare" in Hebrew is really, "and she continued." It is fairly widely accepted that they were twins, she bore Cain and continued and had Abel. Blessings.

SirToady
Nov 25th 2013, 05:08 PM
I believe she thought Cain was the one who would save them.

What do you mean they procreated before expulsion? Where did you get that from?

Genesis 1
26. And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
27. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
28. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

After Expulsion - A weak argument could be made Cain was not the first child of Eve after expulsion, however lets assume he was.

Genesis 4
1. And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the Lord.

Cain’s punishment

12. When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth.
13. And Cain said unto the Lord, My punishment is greater than I can bear.
14. Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me.
15. And the Lord said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the Lord set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.
16. And Cain went out from the presence of the Lord, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.
17. And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.

I don't think there is much doubt they did procreate, before and after expulsion.

ewq1938
Nov 27th 2013, 04:49 AM
It is fairly widely accepted that they were twins, she bore Cain and continued and had Abel. Blessings.

I am curious if it is widely accepted.

percho
Nov 27th 2013, 05:17 AM
Interesting question SirToady, one I have never really considered... but I will and if I learn anything I will come back to this. Until then, just as an aside, the next verse begins, "and she again bare" in Hebrew is really, "and she continued." It is fairly widely accepted that they were twins, she bore Cain and continued and had Abel. Blessings.

While you are considering, consider: Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. John 8:44

I do not know if it is relative or not but I find it interesting when this was said: And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew. Gen 4:25

Compared to the genealogy in Luke 3.