PDA

View Full Version : Do Not Rebuke Satan Yourself!

Aviyah
Nov 29th 2013, 03:15 AM
In the very same way, on the strength of their dreams these ungodly people pollute their own bodies, reject authority and heap abuse on celestial beings. But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not himself dare to condemn him for slander but said, “The Lord rebuke you!” Yet these people slander whatever they do not understand, and the very things they do understand by instinct—as irrational animals do—will destroy them. (Jude v8-10)

This passage caught me off-guard. At first, I thought it indicated that we need to respect the superiority of all spiritual beings including demons. But after re-reading this, I believe Michael's actions were not out of respect for his fallen brother, but instead out of respect for God. We should remember that it is God who will handle Satan - not us.

Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. (Ro. 12:19)

Any endeavor that we take on against the enemy must be done in God's name (in other words, a mission assigned by God) because it is His war - not ours. Even in our worldly militaries, wars are not fought without a general; yet God's supreme authority means that He dictates the action of each individual soldier.

But, I think this incident shows that vocabulary is important too - that we do not speak of or to demons by our own authority. We cannot pass judgment on them because their crime is with God. Perhaps this is one of the reasons Jesus quotes Scripture in His encounter with the devil (not because He wasn't God, but because He was being an example to us).

When we are fighting against the enemy, ONLY God's Word (literal or verbal) is effective because ONLY God's Word has authority over them. This is why our only offensive weapon is the "sword of the Spirit." In a sense, this is the one item we do not own!

Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. (Eph. 6:18)

Anyway, all of this is just to say that we should be careful when speaking about both angels and demons because even Michael "did not himself dare condemn" Satan.

Reynolds357
Nov 29th 2013, 03:52 AM
Gabriel was an angel. He had not been given the New Covenant authority to rebuke Satan. What Gabriel did has absolutely nothing to do with what a believer who is in covenant with God does.

Aviyah
Nov 29th 2013, 04:00 AM
Gabriel was an angel. He had not been given the New Covenant authority to rebuke Satan. What Gabriel did has absolutely nothing to do with what a believer who is in covenant with God does.

Do you mean Michael?

Jude distinguishes "ungodly people" from Michael in that they behave in a way opposite of Michael. So, I do not see how being a believer exempts one from behaving in a godly manner. I don't think you read the entire post, though.

Curtis
Dec 1st 2013, 01:15 PM
Eph 1:20 that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places,
Eph 1:21 far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come.
Eph 1:22 And he put all things under his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church,
Eph 1:23 which is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in all.

Col 3:17 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Since we are the body of Christ, then we have been given all authority, power, and dominion, over every name that is named. He is our heard, and we are his body.

episkopos
Dec 1st 2013, 04:04 PM
In the very same way, on the strength of their dreams these ungodly people pollute their own bodies, reject authority and heap abuse on celestial beings. But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not himself dare to condemn him for slander but said, “The Lord rebuke you!” Yet these people slander whatever they do not understand, and the very things they do understand by instinct—as irrational animals do—will destroy them. (Jude v8-10)

This passage caught me off-guard. At first, I thought it indicated that we need to respect the superiority of all spiritual beings including demons. But after re-reading this, I believe Michael's actions were not out of respect for his fallen brother, but instead out of respect for God. We should remember that it is God who will handle Satan - not us.

Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. (Ro. 12:19)

Any endeavor that we take on against the enemy must be done in God's name (in other words, a mission assigned by God) because it is His war - not ours. Even in our worldly militaries, wars are not fought without a general; yet God's supreme authority means that He dictates the action of each individual soldier.

But, I think this incident shows that vocabulary is important too - that we do not speak of or to demons by our own authority. We cannot pass judgment on them because their crime is with God. Perhaps this is one of the reasons Jesus quotes Scripture in His encounter with the devil (not because He wasn't God, but because He was being an example to us).

When we are fighting against the enemy, ONLY God's Word (literal or verbal) is effective because ONLY God's Word has authority over them. This is why our only offensive weapon is the "sword of the Spirit." In a sense, this is the one item we do not own!

Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. (Eph. 6:18)

Anyway, all of this is just to say that we should be careful when speaking about both angels and demons because even Michael "did not himself dare condemn" Satan.

I hear what you are saying. We are not judges in this life...we are just humble players on the chessboard of life. Pawns if you will...

M_Wm_Ferguson_MTh
Dec 3rd 2013, 09:57 PM
BREAKING NEWS:

HELMETS OF SALVATION & SWORDS OF SPIRIT FOUND
DECAYING IN MILTARY SURPLUS STORES

Related question: if one rebukes then successfully exorcises Satan, into who does Satan go next?

ChangedByHim
Dec 4th 2013, 12:33 AM
Our authority over satan is in The Lord not in ourselves. It would be foolish of us to bring railing accusations against satan. He is a formidable foe. Too many Christians treat their adversary flippantly. Our authority over demons is not a joking matter. Conversely, satan is not to be feared for we do possess all authority over his power.

LandShark
Dec 4th 2013, 01:55 PM

New covenant authority? God doesn't change Reynolds, He is the same yesterday, today, and forever... He does NOT change! If He sent somebody to do a thing 5000 years ago, or 5 minutes ago, He was sent by an unchanging God who has all power in heaven and earth, therefore, that somebody was drawing on the same unchanging God's power. Was Moses not working under "New covenant authority" when he did the things he did? How is what Moses did any different? Have you struck a rock and had water come out, cause an entire sea to part.... because Moses did! :) God does NOT change!

LandShark
Dec 4th 2013, 01:59 PM
Our authority over satan is in The Lord not in ourselves. It would be foolish of us to bring railing accusations against satan. He is a formidable foe. Too many Christians treat their adversary flippantly. Our authority over demons is not a joking matter. Conversely, satan is not to be feared for we do possess all authority over his power.

Agreed but... Satan is NOT omnipotent, he is NOT omniscient, he is NOT omnipresent, he is one. He can't be in Kentucky bugging me AND bugging you wherever you live "at the same time." He is not God, he is not in all places at once. He can send imps to do the work, of course, but I think we give the Adversary a bit too much credit sometimes. Greater is He who is in us, than he who is in the world.... end of story. He has no authority over us. Blessings.

ChangedByHim
Dec 4th 2013, 03:15 PM
Agreed but... Satan is NOT omnipotent, he is NOT omniscient, he is NOT omnipresent, he is one. He can't be in Kentucky bugging me AND bugging you wherever you live "at the same time." He is not God, he is not in all places at once. He can send imps to do the work, of course, but I think we give the Adversary a bit too much credit sometimes. Greater is He who is in us, than he who is in the world.... end of story. He has no authority over us. Blessings.
I hope that you don't think that my comment implied any of the above. In virtually every instance when we are being harassed by the enemy, it is demons and not Satan himself. And even if it was Satan, we would still have authority over him in the name of Jesus.

LandShark
Dec 4th 2013, 03:26 PM
I hope that you don't think that my comment implied any of the above. In virtually every instance when we are being harassed by the enemy, it is demons and not Satan himself. And even if it was Satan, we would still have authority over him in the name of Jesus.

Agreed, I really wasn't even addressing you, per say, with that. Just wanting to make the point was made because there are many who might when asked not say the Adversary is equal to God (His evil counterpart), but often live and react to situations as if he were. "The devil made me do it" kind of thinking is along that line, buddy.... if the devil made you do it, you must be making some serious inroads to the Kingdom of God for him to personally come. :) Blessings!

ChangedByHim
Dec 4th 2013, 03:31 PM
Agreed, I really wasn't even addressing you, per say, with that. Just wanting to make the point was made because there are many who might when asked not say the Adversary is equal to God (His evil counterpart), but often live and react to situations as if he were. "The devil made me do it" kind of thinking is along that line, buddy.... if the devil made you do it, you must be making some serious inroads to the Kingdom of God for him to personally come. :) Blessings!

Even Paul said that it was a messenger (angel) of Satan that was sent to buffet him...

Our flesh is a much larger problem than demons...