PDA

View Full Version : The Consumption Decreed??

Bro Berryl
Dec 6th 2013, 04:47 PM
I love reading the Old Testament prophecies and finding fulfillment in the New Testament or at least understand what or when the prophecy should be fulfilled if not in the scriptures. I was reading Isaiah and came across this from the prophet so I thought I would ask the forum about it. I find it a few places in Isaiah, Daniel talks about it as well as the apostle Paul.

Isaiah 10:22 For though thy people Israel be as the sand of the sea, yet a remnant of them shall return: the consumption decreed shall overflow with righteousness.
Isaiah 10:23 For the Lord GOD of hosts shall make a consumption, even determined, in the midst of all the land.

Isaiah 28:22 Now therefore be ye not mockers, lest your bands be made strong: for I have heard from the Lord GOD of hosts a consumption, even determined upon the whole earth.

Daniel 9:27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

Romans 9:27 Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved:
Romans 9:28 For he will finish the work, and cut it short in righteousness: because a short work will the Lord make upon the earth.
Romans 9:29 And as Esaias said before, Except the Lord of Sabaoth had left us a seed, we had been as Sodoma, and been made like unto Gomorrha.

I understand this to be judgment upon the nation of Israel for repeatedly turning away from the living God and serving idols. The consummation was so complete that it ended physical Israel as the chosen people of God who worshiped at the temple in Jerusalem and brought about a spiritual people who worship in a spiritual city in a spiritual temple.

Here are the scriptures that explain my view, let those that have a different opinion give scripture so I can study please. This is not a debate, I want to teach the truth is my only motive.

Matthew 21:42 Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?
Matthew 21:43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.
Matthew 21:44 And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.

Romans 2:28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
Romans 2:29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Hebrews 12:22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
Hebrews 12:23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven

LandShark
Dec 6th 2013, 10:30 PM
I agree with you to a point brother... but in the Isaiah 10 verses you quote, notice before it speaks of the consumption decree that it is saying they will "return." That is the most prophesied event in Scripture, believe it or not. When Paul quotes that same line in Romans 9:27, it uses "saved" in the NT, but that is because sodzo comes into English better as saved than returned, it means returned. The context of Paul in Romans 9 bears this out as the previous few verses are coming from Hosea which is saying things like, "In the place where I said to you that you are not my people, there I will come to you and say that you are now sons of the Living God." This starts in Deut. 30:1-6 and just keeps repeating, Israel will return. So I take the past tense "decreed" in Isaiah 10:22 to show that the decree was from an earlier time, as in Deut. 30:1-6, and now they are being called back hence "shall overflow with righteousness." It reminds me of the earlier Romans 9 verses which speak of vessels of wrath fit for destruction and the vessel of mercy fit for His glory. If you go read it you'll see they are one and the same, they come from the same lump. They chased idols and were fit for destruction but God's loving kindness turned them into vessels of mercy. It really is beautiful!

It is an interesting topic you dug up.... be interested to see if and how others take it. Be blessed!

Bro Berryl
Dec 7th 2013, 12:30 AM
I agree with you to a point brother... but in the Isaiah 10 verses you quote, notice before it speaks of the consumption decree that it is saying they will "return." That is the most prophesied event in Scripture, believe it or not. When Paul quotes that same line in Romans 9:27, it uses "saved" in the NT, but that is because sodzo comes into English better as saved than returned, it means returned. The context of Paul in Romans 9 bears this out as the previous few verses are coming from Hosea which is saying things like, "In the place where I said to you that you are not my people, there I will come to you and say that you are now sons of the Living God." This starts in Deut. 30:1-6 and just keeps repeating, Israel will return. So I take the past tense "decreed" in Isaiah 10:22 to show that the decree was from an earlier time, as in Deut. 30:1-6, and now they are being called back hence "shall overflow with righteousness." It reminds me of the earlier Romans 9 verses which speak of vessels of wrath fit for destruction and the vessel of mercy fit for His glory. If you go read it you'll see they are one and the same, they come from the same lump. They chased idols and were fit for destruction but God's loving kindness turned them into vessels of mercy. It really is beautiful!

It is an interesting topic you dug up.... be interested to see if and how others take it. Be blessed!

I don't know if it's too soon or if others don't find it as interesting as you and I because it does not seem to be getting a lot of responses. Nevertheless we will continue our discussion and thanks for your input.

You raise a interesting point by sending us to Deuteronomy 30 where Moses reminds Israel of the conditions upon which the Lord will bless or curse. Essentially he leaves the decision to obey or disobey up to them.

We know from history what their decision was hence the captivity of the Assyrians and Babylonians. When God released them from captivity and brought them back to the land promised to their fathers it was fulfilled what Moses and other prophets had said, but it didn't stop there.

Here is what happened that many who believe in the restoration of Israel when Jesus returns miss.

Ezekiel 20:42 And ye shall know that I am the LORD, when I shall bring you into the land of Israel, into the country for the which I lifted up mine hand to give it to your fathers.
Ezekiel 20:43 And there shall ye remember your ways, and all your doings, wherein ye have been defiled; and ye shall lothe yourselves in your own sight for all your evils that ye have committed.

Israel was made to be ashamed for all the evil they committed, they were to see themselves as the wicked people that they were. Isaiah along with Paul is telling us that only a remnant would actually do this, the majority would be blinded to the truth of their sins.

The context of Isaiah 9-11 is when the Holy One called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God etc..... would be present. The rod out of the stem of Jesse is Jesus, it is He who the prophet declares the remnant comes to.