PDA

View Full Version : My bible study on the book of Hebrews

chad
Dec 6th 2013, 10:12 PM
MY BIBLE STUDY : On the book of Hebrews, starting at Chapter 1.

My bible study notes are highlighted in Red.

HEBREWS CHAPTER 1

(Heb 1:1 NIV) In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways,

In the Old Testament God spoke to his people through the Prophets.

(Heb 1:2 NIV) but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe.

In the New Testament, God sent his Son to speak to us directly, Christ Jesus of Nazareth. God in the flesh. Heir of all things. Who made the Universe.

For the apostle John records in (John 1:1 NIV) ‘In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
(2) He was with God in the beginning.
(3) Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

(Heb 1:3 NIV) The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.

The son [of God – Christ Jesus of Nazareth] is the radiance of Gods glory. For Gods glory was with Jesus, while on Earth and Gods Glory is with Jesus now in heaven.
The exact representation of his being [In Spirit, Sinless and Holy]
Sustaining all things by his powerful word [For Jesus was the Word - John 1:1]
Providing purification for sins [By his death on the cross, he paid for our sins]
Sat down at the right hand of the majesty in heaven [When Jesus ascended, he rose again to be seated in heaven at the right hand side of God – Hebrews 1:13]

(Heb 1:4 NIV) So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs.

He became superior to the angels. For he is the Son of God. While on Earth, he was made a little lower than the angels in heaven [Hebrews 2:7]

(Heb 1:5 NIV) For to which of the angels did God ever say, "You are my Son; today I have become your Father " ? Or again, "I will be his Father, and he will be my Son"?

For none of the angels did God call his son. Gods had only one son – Christ Jesus [John 3:16], who was with him from the beginning [John 1:1]. This refutes the belief and teachings that Jesus and Satan were brothers – Ie. The Mormons.

(Heb 1:6 NIV) And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says, "Let all God's angels worship him."

Let all Gods Angels worship him. The angels that did not rebel against God and abandoned their heavenly home [Jude 1:6].

(Heb 1:7 NIV) In speaking of the angels he says, "He makes his angels winds, his servants flames of fire."

Gods Angels are servants of God.

(Heb 1:8 NIV) But about the Son he says, "Your throne, O God, will last forever and ever, and righteousness will be the scepter of your kingdom.

Jesus Christ of Nazareth, God called his Son. Given a throne and everlasting kingdom in heaven, everlasting and ruled through righteousness.

(Heb 1:9 NIV) You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions by anointing you with the oil of joy."

A quote of Psalms 45:6-7

(Heb 1:10 NIV) He also says, "In the beginning, O Lord, you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands.
God created the heavens and the earth – Genesis 1:1.

He laid the foundations of the earth and heavens. They are created by God, by the work of Gods hands. This shows intelligent design. The earth and the heavens are not a cosmic mistake, they did not mysteriously evolve without intelligent design or a creator as some would believe and profess.

(Heb 1:11 NIV) They will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment.
(Heb 1:12 NIV) You will roll them up like a robe; like a garment they will be changed. But you remain the same, and your years will never end."

(Heb 1:13 NIV) To which of the angels did God ever say, "Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet"?

None of the angels, did God ever given the right and position to sit at the right hand of God, except his Son, Christ Jesus of Nazareth.
God pronounced that Christ Jesus of Nazareth was his son : Declared by God at his Baptism [Matthew 3:17], And at the transfiguration [Matthew 17:5; 2 Peter 1:17-18],
And declared by the Angel Gabriel to Mary before the birth of Christ Jesus [Luke 1:26-35].

(Heb 1:14 NIV) Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?

The role of Gods Angels. They are ministering spirits, sent to serve those who will inherit salvation.

chad
Dec 8th 2013, 01:06 AM
HEBREWS CHAPTER 2

(Heb 2:1 NIV) We must pay more careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away.

The KJV translates this as (Heb 2:1 KJV) Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip.
Slip [G3901. pararrhueo, par-ar-hroo-eh'-o; from G3844 and the alt. of G4482; to flow by, i.e. (fig.) carelessly pass (miss):--let slip.]

(Heb 2:2 NIV) For if the message spoken by angels was binding, and every violation and disobedience received its just punishment,

For the even the law of Moses has consequences. The law was given and angels were in some way, mediators of the law of Moses (Acts 7:38; 7:53, Galatians 3:19).

(Heb 2:3 NIV) how shall we escape if we ignore such a great salvation? This salvation, which was first announced by the Lord, was confirmed to us by those who heard him.

So how shall we escape the consequences to come, if we ignore and reject the message of salvation given through Christ Jesus. The message of Salvation announced by Christ Jesus of Nazareth himself, the son of God, the messenger who God sent, to speak to us directly.
A message of hope and salvation for all who choose to accept
A message of repentance, forgiveness of sin through his Son [Christ Jesus of Nazareth]
God sent Jesus to die on the cross and pay for our sins, so that we could be forgiven of our sin and begin living a new life by the spirit of God.

(Heb 2:4 NIV) God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.

God demonstrated his power by signs, wonders and various miracles. These were demonstrated through Christ Jesus of Nazareth, his son during his ministry here on earth. The apostles also were given the authority to perform signs, wonders and miracles.

For Paul writes in (2 Cororinthians 12:12 NIV) The things that mark an apostle--signs, wonders and miracles--were done among you with great perseverance.

(Heb 3:1 NIV) Therefore, holy brothers, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus, the apostle and high priest whom we confess.

The gifts of the Holy Spirit are given by God and distributed by the Holy Spirit [of God] according to his will and purpose. These are given to his Church according to God’s will [1 Corinthians 12:1-7].

(Heb 2:5 NIV) It is not to angels that he has subjected the world to come, about which we are speaking.
(Heb 2:6 NIV) But there is a place where someone has testified: "What is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?
(Heb 2:7 NIV) You made him a little lower than the angels; you crowned him with glory and honor
(Heb 2:8 NIV) and put everything under his feet."

A Quote of Psalms 8:4-6 referring to Christ Jesus of Nazareth, the son of God.

(Heb 2:8 NIV) In putting everything under him, God left nothing that is not subject to him. Yet at present we do not see everything subject to him.

For Christ Jesus of Nazareth is seated at the right hand of God in Heaven. (Mt 26:64, Mk 14:61-62, Lk 22:67-69, Ac 5:31, Ac 7:55-56, Rom 8:34, Eph 1:20, Col 3:1, Heb 1:3, Heb 8:1, Heb 10:12; Heb 12:2; 1 Pet 3:22).
All things are subject to God, although at present we may not see it.
The Apostle Paul as writes on this in 1 Corinthians 15:24-28.

(Heb 2:9 NIV) But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.

Jesus was made a little lower than the angels for short time.
For Christ Jesus was human, of flesh and blood.
Born of the Virgin Mary and conceived by the Holy Spirit.
Both man and the son of God.

(Heb 2:10 NIV) In bringing many sons to glory, it was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the author of their salvation perfect through suffering.

Many sons to glory. Meaning those who believe in Christ.
Through him everything exists. For the apostle John records in John 1:1 Jesus was the word, he was with God at the beginning. God created the heavens and the Earth. All things that exist are of God’s Creation [Genesis 1]

(Heb 2:11 NIV) Both the one who makes men holy and those who are made holy are of the same family. So Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers.

Mathew records in his epistle, Jesus considered his brothers and sisters, those who did the will of the Father [Mt 12:48-50].
Through Christ Jesus of Nazareth we have the right to become children of God [1 Jn 1:12, 1 Jn 3:1-2; 1 Jn 3:10; 1 Jn 5:2; 1 Jn 5:19].
Sons and daughters of God [Gal 3:26; Rom 8:14; 2 Cor 6:18].

(Heb 2:12 NIV) He says, "I will declare your name to my brothers; in the presence of the congregation I will sing your praises."

(Heb 2:13 NIV) And again, "I will put my trust in him." And again he says, "Here am I, and the children God has given me."

(Heb 2:14 NIV) Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death--that is, the devil--

Speaking of Jesus humanity. Jesus did indeed come in the flesh, but was also born of the Virgin Mary and conceived by the Holy Spirit.
As Matthew 1:23 writes, his name will be called Immanuel, meaning God with us.
By Jesus death [and resurrection] he might destroy him who holds the power of death (2 Tim 1:10).
The devil no longer holds the power of death.
For Christ Jesus of Nazareth conquered death and sin. He lives forever in Heaven as our high priest. He is eternal and death has no mastery over him, sin had no mastery over him (Rom 6:9-10).
For in (Rev 1:18 NIV), John records Jesus declaring the words “ I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.”

(Heb 2:15 NIV) and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death.

People fear death. But we are freed from this fear because through Christ Jesus of Nazareth, we no longer have to fear death. The Apostle Paul records in 1 Corinthians 15:35-55 the hope that we have of the resurrection at the last trumpet.

(Heb 2:16 NIV) For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham's descendants.

Abrahams descendants. In the OT, it was those who were circumcised of the flesh. In the NT, they are those who believe in Christ Jesus of Nazareth as their savior
[Who have repented of their sins, believe he is the Messiah, their savior, the son of God who died to pay for our sins and rose again and who forgives us our sins].
They are descendants of Abraham, through the covenant given to Abraham.
For in the NT, it is not circumcised of the flesh that counts, but a circumcision of the heart (Rom 2:28-29).
For Jesus was the seed, spoken about in the Covenant of Abraham.
Those who repent and believe in Christ Jesus [both Jews and Gentiles] are included in the covenant given to Abraham, through Christ Jesus. [Galatians 3:1-29].

(Heb 2:17 NIV) For this reason he had to be made like his brothers in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people.

Jesus had to be made like us, of flesh and blood, but sinless, in order that he make atonement for our sins.

(Heb 2:18 NIV) Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.

Jesus, through his sufferings and temptations on earth is able to understand our struggles that we have also.

chad
Dec 11th 2013, 10:46 AM
Hebrews Chapter 3

(Heb 3:1 NIV) Therefore, holy brothers, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus, the apostle and high priest whom we confess.

Jesus, both high priest and apostle. He that was send by God and spoke Gods word (Jn 8:28-29, Jn 12:49-50, Jn 14:24).

Apostle G652. apostolos, ap-os'-tol-os; from G649; a delegate; spec. an ambassador of the Gospel; officially a commissioner of Christ ["apostle"] (with miraculous powers):--apostle, messenger, he that is sent.

We share in a heavenly calling and we have a heavenly destination.

(Heb 3:2 NIV) He was faithful to the one who appointed him, just as Moses was faithful in all God's house.

Moses was faithful as a servant in Gods house in the Old Testament (Heb 3:5).
Jesus is faithful as a Son over Gods house in the New Testament (Heb 3:6).

(Heb 3:3 NIV) Jesus has been found worthy of greater honor than Moses, just as the builder of a house has greater honor than the house itself.

Jesus honor is greater than the honor of Moses. For Moses was a servant, but Jesus Christ of Nazareth was the Son [Of God (Heb 3:5), Apostle and our High Priest Heb 3:1)]

(Heb 3:4 NIV) For every house is built by someone, but God is the builder of everything.

(Heb 3:5 NIV) Moses was faithful as a servant in all God's house, testifying to what would be said in the future.

Moses was a servant in Gods house. The law was put in charge to lead us to Christ Jesus, of Nazareth, so that we might be justified through Faith (Gal 3:24).

(Heb 3:6 NIV) But Christ is faithful as a son over God's house. And we are his house, if we hold on to our courage and the hope of which we boast.

Jesus Christ of Nazareth is the faithful Son, over God’s House.

(Heb 3:7 NIV) So, as the Holy Spirit says: "Today, if you hear his voice,

(Heb 3:8 NIV) do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion, during the time of testing in the desert,

The Rebellion and time of testing as recorded in Exodus 17:7 and Numbers 20:13.

(Heb 3:9 NIV) where your fathers tested and tried me and for forty years saw what I did.

Hebrews 3:7-11 is a quote of Psalms 95:6-11. It summarizes the history of Israel under Moses leadership in the desert.

(Psa 95:6 NIV) Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the LORD our Maker;
(Psa 95:7 NIV) for he is our God and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under his care. Today, if you hear his voice,
(Psa 95:8 NIV) do not harden your hearts as you did at Meribah, as you did that day at Massah in the desert,

(Exo 17:7 NIV) And he called the place Massah and Meribah because the Israelites quarreled and because they tested the LORD saying, "Is the LORD among us or not?"

(Num 20:13 NIV) These were the waters of Meribah, where the Israelites quarreled with the LORD and where he showed himself holy among them.

(Psa 95:9 NIV) where your fathers tested and tried me, though they had seen what I did.

(Heb 3:10 NIV) That is why I was angry with that generation, and I said, 'Their hearts are always going astray, and they have not known my ways.'

A quote of (Psalms 95:10 NIV) For forty years I was angry with that generation; I said, "They are a people whose hearts go astray, and they have not known my ways."

(Heb 3:11 NIV) So I declared on oath in my anger, 'They shall never enter my rest.'"

A quote of Psalms 95:11. (Psalms 95:11 NIV) So I declared on oath in my anger, "They shall never enter my rest."

The consequences and punishment of Israels rebellion and unbelief (Numbers Chapter 14).

(Heb 3:12 NIV) See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God.

A warning to believers in Christ, not have an unbelieving heart and turn away from the one true living God as Israel did in the Desert, during the time of Moses. For if we turn away from God, the truth and living God, then what are we turning to?

(Heb 3:13 NIV) But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness.

Encourage one another daily, so that faith may be built up. Sin is deceitful and it hardens hearts.

(Heb 3:14 NIV) We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first.

Till the end. The Apostle Paul describes our faith as a race. As he wrote to Timothy (2 Tim 4:7 NIV) I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

(Heb 3:15 NIV) As has just been said: "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion."

(Heb 3:16 NIV) Who were they who heard and rebelled? Were they not all those Moses led out of Egypt?

(Heb 3:17 NIV) And with whom was he angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies fell in the desert?

These verses refer to the Rebellion of Israel recorded in Numbers chapter 14.

In Numbers Ch 13, Moses sent spies to explore the land of Cannan for 40 days [the land God promised to the Israelites].

Caleb reported they should take the land (Num 13:30) as did Joshua son of Nun (Num 14:6-9). The others spies gave a bad report which caused Israel to not believe and rebel.

Israel rebelled and grumbled against Moses and Aaron. Because of their unbelief and rebellion, they bought judgment on themselves.

This judgment: Everyone over the age of 20, who was counted in the census and grumbled against God, Their bodies would fall in the desert and they would not enter the promised land [Canaan]. Only Caleb and Joshua , who believed would enter.

However, the children of those who had unbelief and grumbled, would go into the land promised (Num 14:29-31).

Israel will wander for 40 years in the desert, because of their rebellion and unbelief. One year for each of the forty days they explored the promised land of Canaan. (Num 14:32-35)

Of the spies who gave a bad report, they died by the plague (Num 14:37).

(Heb 3:18 NIV) And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed ?

Those in Israel who had unbelief and rebelled. They did not enter into the promised land of Canaan.

(Heb 3:19 NIV) So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief.

Unbelief prevented some in Israel from entering into the promised land. Unbelief can cause people not to believe in Jesus Christ of Nazareth, Gods son, who he sent to save us from our sins. Who offers forgiveness of sin for all who would believe and repent. Unbelief prevents us from entering into the kingdom of God and can cause us not to share in a heavenly calling (Heb 3:1)

chad
Dec 12th 2013, 06:48 AM
Hebrews Chapter 4

(Heb 4:1 NIV) Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it.

In the OT, some in Israel did not enter the promised land [of Canaan] because of unbelief and rebellion (Heb 3:19).

[But for believers today, the promise of entering his rest still stands. This is not speaking of entering Canaan, the promised land as Israel did in the time of Moses, but entering into the kingdom of God, through Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

We rest from our own works to become righteous, but through Christ Jesus we are forgiven of our sins and become righteous in Gods sight. We rest from our own works to obtain righteousness (Heb 4:9-10) ]

Let us be careful that we do not fall short of it.

(Heb 4:2 NIV) For we also have had the gospel preached to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because those who heard did not combine it with faith.

Israel needed faith in order to enter into Canaan. They heard the message from Caleb and Joshua son of Nun. All they needed was faith. Instead they listened to the other spies and because of their unbelief and rebellion; some did not enter into the promised land of Canaan. They heard the message but they did not combine it with faith.

We also have a message of salvation preached to us. This salvation is Faith in Christ Jesus. It is through Christ Jesus of Nazareth, we enter into the kingdom of God. Just hearing the message of salvation in itself has no value. It must also be combined with faith.

(Heb 4:3 NIV) Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said, "So I declared on oath in my anger, 'They shall never enter my rest.'" And yet his work has been finished since the creation of the world.

All who believe enter Gods rest. A rest from our own efforts to gain righteousness through our own works. It is through believe in Christ Jesus of Nazareth, son of God that we enter into the rest of God.

"So I declared on oath in my anger, 'They shall never enter my rest.'

A quote of Psalms 95:11, referring to Numbers 14:20-23. Some in Israel did not enter into Gods rest, but wandered in the desert for 40 years. They did not enter into the promised land of Canaan.

(Heb 4:4 NIV) For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day in these words: "And on the seventh day God rested from all his work."

Everything that exists is a result of Gods creation. God created the heavens and the earth and everything in it (Genesis chapter 1). The heavens and the earth and all living things are not here by accident. They are not a mistake. They are a result of Gods creation and work. And on the 7th day Genesis 2:2 records, God rested.

(Heb 4:5 NIV) And again in the passage above he says, "They shall never enter my rest."

Some in Israel did enter into the rest of God and the land promised to them [Canaan].

(Heb 4:6 NIV) It still remains that some will enter that rest, and those who formerly had the gospel preached to them did not go in, because of their disobedience.

Some entered into the promised land of Canaan, those who rebelled and had unbelief did not go in becuase of thier disobedience.

For belivers today, we can enter into the rest of God.

(Heb 4:7 NIV) Therefore God again set a certain day, calling it Today, when a long time later he spoke through David, as was said before: "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts."

A partial quote of Psalms 95:7-8. Today, if we do not have hard heart and hear the message of salvation, we can also enter into Gods rest.

(Heb 4:8 NIV) For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day.

Joshua lead the Israelites into the promised land after Moses had died (Joshua chapters 3-4).

(Heb 4:9 NIV) There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God;

A Sabbath rest remains for us today, who enter into Gods rest.

(Heb 4:10 NIV) for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his.

We enter Gods rest. Because we no longer obtain salvation through our own works of righteousness, but we are saved through Christ’s death on the cross and his resurrection. Jesus completed the work for us, so that we rest from our own works to obtain righteousness, because of the work Jesus did on the cross. He died to pay for our sins.

(Heb 4:11 NIV) Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience.

Let us make every effort to enter that rest, through faith in Christ Jesus of Nazareth. Through the forgiveness of sins, through confession and accepting Christ Jesus as our lord and savior.

(Heb 4:12 NIV) For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

The word of God is living and active. Unlike a physical sword, the word of God judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

(Heb 4:13 NIV) Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

Nothing is hidden from God. For everyone must give an account to God in the last days [Rev 20:12-13].

(Heb 4:14 NIV) Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess.

Let us hold onto that faith we have in Christ Jesus of Narareth, the son of God, our high priest.

(Heb 4:15 NIV) For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are--yet was without sin.

Christ Jesus of Nazareth, our high priest is not unable to sympathize with our weaknesses. For when he was on earth he was tempted in every way, yet was without sin.

(Heb 4:16 NIV) Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

In our time of need, let us approach Jesus so that we may receive mercy and grace in him.

chad
Dec 13th 2013, 05:22 AM
Hebrews Chapter 5

(Heb 5:1 NIV) Every high priest is selected from among men and is appointed to represent them in matters related to God, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins.

The KJV reads as follows (Heb 5:1 KJV) For every high priest taken from among men is ordained for men in things pertaining to God, that he may offer both gifts and sacrifices for sins:

Ordained. G2525. kathistemi, kath-is'-tay-mee; from G2596 and G2476; to place down (permanently), i.e. (fig.) to designate, constitute, convoy:--appoint, be, conduct, make, ordain, set.

(Heb 5:2 NIV) He is able to deal gently with those who are ignorant and are going astray, since he himself is subject to weakness.

What does it mean to be ignorant and going astray?

The KJV reads as follows (Heb 5:2 KJV) Who can have compassion on the ignorant, and on them that are out of the way; for that he himself also is compassed with
infirmity.

Ignorant (Those who do not understand). G50. agnoeo, ag-no-eh'-o; from G1 (as a neg. particle) and G3539; not to know (through lack of information or intelligence); by impl. to ignore (through disinclination):--(be) ignorant (-ly), not know, not understand, unknown.

Out of the way (Those who have gone astray. Wandered or been seduced away). G4105. planao, plan-ah'-o; from G4106; to (prop. cause to) roam (from safety, truth, or virtue):--go astray, deceive, err, seduce, wander, be out of the way.

(Heb 5:3 NIV) This is why he has to offer sacrifices for his own sins, as well as for the sins of the people.

(Heb 5:4 NIV) No one takes this honor upon himself; he must be called by God, just as Aaron was.

The high priest must be called by God. This is not an honor they take on themselves.

(Heb 5:5 NIV) So Christ also did not take upon himself the glory of becoming a high priest. But God said to him, "You are my Son; today I have become your Father."

Christ Jesus of Nazareth did not take on the honor of becoming high priest on his own. He was called by God.

(Heb 5:6 NIV) And he says in another place, "You are a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek."

Christ Jesus of Nazareth is our High Priest in the order of Melchizedek.

(Heb 5:7 NIV) During the days of Jesus' life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.

(Heb 5:7 KJV) Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;

Jesus offered up prayers with strong crying and tears.

(Heb 5:8 NIV) Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered

As a son, in flesh and blood, he suffered but was still obedient and did the will of God (Heb 2:18; 1 Peter 2:21-23, 1 Peter 3:18; 1 Peter 4:1 ).

(Heb 5:9 NIV) and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him

Made perfect after his death and resurrection [he was and is]the source of eternal salvation.

(Heb 5:10 NIV) and was designated by God to be high priest in the order of Melchizedek.

A high priest in the order of Melchizedek.

(Heb 5:11 NIV) We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn.

(Heb 5:12 NIV) In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food!

(Heb 5:13 NIV) Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness.

The KJV reads as follows (Heb 5:13 KJV) For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.

(Heb 5:14 NIV) But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

The KJV reads as follows (Heb 5:14 KJV) But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

chad
Dec 16th 2013, 10:21 AM
HEBREWS 6

(Heb 6:1 NIV) Therefore let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death, and of faith in God,

Hebrews 5:14 writes of solid food: Those who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

And in Hebrews 6:1,let us move on from the elementary teachings about Christ. These being:

Repentance from acts that lead to death (sin)

And faith in God.

(Heb 6:2 NIV) instruction about baptisms, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment.

Instructions regarding Baptism

The laying of hands

The resurrection of the dead and eternal judgment.

(Heb 6:3 NIV) And God permitting, we will do so.

(Heb 6:4 NIV) It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit,

The heavenly gift of salvation [From God, through our Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth] and have received and shared in the Holy Spirit [The gift of the Holy Spirit given to those who repent and believe]

(Heb 6:5 NIV) who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age,

Who have tasted the goodness of the word of God [The message of Salvation, turning from sin and our former way of life to a life in God].

For John 8:12 writes, When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

(Heb 6:6 NIV) if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

So the questions proposed in Hebrews 6:6 is: Why would people choose to walk away from the light. Why would they choose to reject forgiveness and the gift of the Holy spirit given by God to those who repent and believe.

Why would they turn away from salvation in Jesus Christ of Nazareth and the living God?

Heb 6:6 KJV) If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Fall away. G3895. parapipto, par-ap-ip'-to; from G3844 and G4098; to fall aside, i.e. (fig.) to apostatize:--fall away.

Renew. G340. anakainizo, an-ak-ahee-nid'-zo; from G303 and a der. of G2537; to restore:--renew.

Repentance. G3341. metanoia, met-an'-oy-ah; from G3340; (subj.) compunction (for guilt, includ. reformation); by impl. reversal (of [another's] decision):--repentance.

(Heb 6:7 NIV) Land that drinks in the rain often falling on it and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is farmed receives the blessing of God.

(Heb 6:8 NIV) But land that produces thorns and thistles is worthless and is in danger of being cursed. In the end it will be burned.

(Heb 6:9 NIV) Even though we speak like this, dear friends, we are confident of better things in your case--things that accompany salvation.

Confident of better things to come that accompany salvation, for all who faithfully remain in Christ Jesus.

For remembering what the Apostle John wrote in John 15:4-11.

(John 15:4 NIV) Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
(John 15:5 NIV) "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
(John 15:6 NIV) If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.
(John 15:7 NIV) If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you.
(John 15:8 NIV) This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
(John 15:9 NIV) "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.
(John 15:10 NIV) If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love.
(John 15:11 NIV) I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.

(Heb 6:10 NIV) God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.
(Heb 6:11 NIV) We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, in order to make your hope sure.
(Heb 6:12 NIV) We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.

Imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.

Through faith and with patiencewe will inheritance what has been promised.

(Heb 6:13 NIV) When God made his promise to Abraham, since there was no one greater for him to swear by, he swore by himself,

Abraham was the one whom God made his promise. An example for us, of one who had faith and an inheritance promised to him.

(Heb 6:14 NIV) saying, "I will surely bless you and give you many descendants."

Gods promise to Abraham was that he would bless him and his descendants.

Christians are also part of the covenant and promise given to Abraham, through Christ Jesus of Nazareth. Christ Jesus was the seed spoken about in the covenant given to Abraham. (Gen 17:7; Heb 2:16; Gal 3:16-29 – KJV).

(Heb 6:15 NIV) And so after waiting patiently, Abraham received what was promised.

Abraham was patient and received the promise of God in the covenant [Genesis Ch 15-17].

(Heb 6:16 NIV) Men swear by someone greater than themselves, and the oath confirms what is said and puts an end to all argument.

(Heb 6:17 NIV) Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath.

What God promised through the covenant to the heirs, God wanted to make very clear.

God did this through a promise and confirmed it with an oath.

(Heb 6:18 NIV) God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged.

It is impossible for God to lie, for God is truth. His Son, Jesus Christ of Nazareth was full of the truth.

John 1:14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

(Heb 6:19 NIV) We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain,

The illustration of hope as an anchor. This hope is an anchor for the soul, it is firm and secure. This anchor of hope is secured to that heavenly place described as the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, meaning the heavenly sanctuary, the heavenly tabernacle.

(Heb 6:20 NIV) where Jesus, who went before us, has entered on our behalf. He has become a high priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek.

Where Jesus is. He has gone before us and entered on our behalf. He is our high priest in the order of Melchizedek.

chad
Dec 18th 2013, 02:54 AM
HEBREWS 7

(Heb 7:1 NIV) This Melchizedek was king of Salem and priest of God Most High. He met Abraham returning from the defeat of the kings and blessed him,

The Old Testament records in Genesis 14:18-24 that Melchizedek was a King of Salem and a high priest of God. He existed before the law was given to Moses and before Moses was born. He blessed Abraham and Abraham gave him a tenth.

Psalms 110:4 also mentions Melchizedek.

(Heb 7:2 NIV) and Abraham gave him a tenth of everything. First, his name means "king of righteousness"; then also, "king of Salem" means "king of peace."

Melchizedek's name means - king of righteousness.

"King of Salem" means "King of peace."

(Heb 7:3 NIV) Without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, like the Son of God he remains a priest forever.

Nothing is recorded in the OT of Melchizedek’s genealogy, his father or mother.

(Heb 7:4 NIV) Just think how great he was: Even the patriarch Abraham gave him a tenth of the plunder!

Abraham gave Melchizedek a tenth of the plunder. For Melchizedek was both a priest of God and King of Salem.

(Heb 7:5 NIV) Now the law requires the descendants of Levi who become priests to collect a tenth from the people--that is, their brothers--even though their brothers are descended from Abraham.

The law required that the descendants of Levi [A tribe within Israel] collect a tenth from their brothers [Other tribes within Israel] who were also descended from Abraham (Numbers 18:21).

In the OT Priests of God were from the tribe of Levi (Num 1:49-21; Num 2:6-10. Num 18:2-7, Deut 18:1-2). They collected a tenth from the other tribes as instructed by God (Deut 18:1-5).

This was their portion and how they survived. It was Gods provision for those serving in the priesthood.

(Heb 7:6 NIV) This man, however, did not trace his descent from Levi, yet he collected a tenth from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises.

Melchizedek was before the tribe of Levi, before the law of Moses, yet he collected a tenth from Abraham.

(Heb 7:7 NIV) And without doubt the lesser person is blessed by the greater.

(Heb 7:8 NIV) In the one case, the tenth is collected by men who die; but in the other case, by him who is declared to be living.

(Heb 7:9 NIV) One might even say that Levi, who collects the tenth, paid the tenth through Abraham,

The logic in verse 7:9 is that the tribe of Levi paid a tenth to Melchizedek, through Abraham indirectly.

(Heb 7:10 NIV) because when Melchizedek met Abraham, Levi was still in the body of his ancestor.

At the time Abraham paid a tenth to Melchizedek, the levitical priesthood was not yet in existence.

(Heb 7:11 NIV) If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood (for on the basis of it the law was given to the people), why was there still need for another priest to come--one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron?

In the OT Aaron was put in charge of all the priests from the tribe of Levi. The priesthood was called the levitical priesthood in the order of Aaron.

Perfection could not be obtained through the Levitical priesthood and the law.

That is why there needed to be another priest and priesthood to come, who was Jesus Christ of Nazareth, the son of God. Not in the order of Aaron, but in the order of Melchizedek.

(Heb 7:12 NIV) For when there is a change of the priesthood, there must also be a change of the law.

When a priesthood is changed, there is also a change in the law. We are no longer under the law of Moses (Gal 3:23-25) for Jesus fulfilled the law of Moses (Mt 5:17).

The Apostle writes in Romans 8:2 we are now under the law of the Spirit (Gods Holy Spirit).

(Heb 7:13 NIV) He of whom these things are said belonged to a different tribe, and no one from that tribe has ever served at the altar.

Jesus descended from the tribe of Judah. Priests in the OT were from the tribe of Levi.

(Heb 7:14 NIV) For it is clear that our Lord descended from Judah, and in regard to that tribe Moses said nothing about priests.

No priests in the OT were taken from the tribe of Judah. Jesus was a descendant from Judah.

(Heb 7:15 NIV) And what we have said is even more clear if another priest like Melchizedek appears,

(Heb 7:16 NIV) one who has become a priest not on the basis of a regulation as to his ancestry but on the basis of the power of an indestructible life.

Jesus was a priest, but his priesthood is not based on ancestry [from the tribe of Levi as in the OT], but indestructible life [Jesus who is risen from the dead and has eternal life- Heb 4:14].

(Heb 7:17 NIV) For it is declared: "You are a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek."

Jesus priesthood is forever in the order of Melchizedek.

(Heb 7:18 NIV) The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless

The Law of Moses is set aside.

(Heb 7:19 NIV) (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

For the law made nothing perfect. The law was meant to lead us to Christ (Gal 3:24)

(Heb 7:20 NIV) And it was not without an oath! Others became priests without any oath,

Jesus priesthood was did not come about without an Oath.

(Heb 7:21 NIV) but he became a priest with an oath when God said to him: "The Lord has sworn and will not change his mind: 'You are a priest forever.'"

It is with an Oath from God, that Jesus became a priest forever. He is our high priest as chosen by God (Heb 5:4-6) and affirmed through an Oath (Heb 7:21).

Just as the covenant of Abraham was affirmed through an Oath (Heb 6:17), so is Jesus priesthood affirmed through an oath.

(Heb 7:22 NIV) Because of this oath, Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant.

Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant.

(Heb 7:23 NIV) Now there have been many of those priests, since death prevented them from continuing in office;

Priests in the levitical priesthood died. They were human and mortal.

(Heb 7:24 NIV) but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood.

But because Jesus has risen from the dead, he lives forever. Therefore Jesus priesthood is permanent.

(Heb 7:25 NIV) Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.

Jesus is able to save completely those who come to God through him. As our high priest he always lives to intercede for us.

(Heb 7:26 NIV) Such a high priest meets our need--one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens.

Jesus Christ of Nazareth our high priest is Holy, blameless and pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens.

(Heb 7:27 NIV) Unlike the other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrifices day after day, first for his own sins, and then for the sins of the people. He sacrificed for their sins once for all when he offered himself.

Priests under the levitical priesthood had to offer animal sacrifices day after day for their sins and the sins of other people.

Jesus sacrificed himself once by dying on the cross. This sacrificed paid for all our sins, once and for all.

(Heb 7:28 NIV) For the law appoints as high priests men who are weak; but the oath, which came after the law, appointed the Son, who has been made perfect forever.

chad
Dec 26th 2013, 09:37 AM
HEBREWS 8

(Heb 8:1 NIV) The point of what we are saying is this: We do have such a high priest, who sat down at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in heaven,

Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Risen again and seated at the right hand of the throne in Heaven, our high priest.

(Heb 8:2 NIV) and who serves in the sanctuary, the true tabernacle set up by the Lord, not by man.

The true tabernacle. That is the dwelling place of God, in heaven.

Tabernacle – G4633:skene. Habitation, tabernacle – the dwelling place of God. Heaven.

(Heb 8:3 NIV) Every high priest is appointed to offer both gifts and sacrifices, and so it was necessary for this one also to have something to offer.

The high priest not only offers sacrifices but also gifts.

(Heb 8:4 NIV) If he were on earth, he would not be a priest, for there are already men who offer the gifts prescribed by the law.

If Jesus were here on earth, he would not be our high priest in the order of Melchzedick. When Jesus died and rose again there was a change in the priesthood from an earthly priesthood to a heavenly priesthood.

If Jesus did not die and was not risen from the dead, the new covenant and priesthood would not have been established. For a priest hood and priests already existed on earth in the order of Aaron under the Old Covenant.

(Heb 8:5 NIV) They serve at a sanctuary that is a copy and shadow of what is in heaven. This is why Moses was warned when he was about to build the tabernacle: "See to it that you make everything according to the pattern shown you on the mountain."

The priests in the order of Aaron served at the earthly sanctuary. When God instructed Moses to build the sanctuary, he had to make it exactly according to the pattern shown as it was a reflection of the heavenly sanctuary (Exodus Ch 25-28).

The earthly tabernacle was only a copy of real sanctuary that is in heaven.

(Heb 8:6 NIV) But the ministry Jesus has received is as superior to theirs as the covenant of which he is mediator is superior to the old one, and it is founded on better promises.

The KJV reads as follows:

(Heb 8:6 KJV) But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

Excellent G1313. diaphoros, dee-af'-or-os; from G1308; varying; also surpassing:--differing, divers, more excellent.

Jesus ministry is superior. For the sacrifice and blood of animals could never forgive sins. They are only a reminder of our sins (Heb 10:1-4) and the law was meant to lead us to Christ Jesus so that we might be justified through faith (Gal 3:24).

A Better covenant of forgiveness of sin, through Jesus Christ of Nazareth who died on the cross to pay for our sins.

(Heb 8:7 NIV) For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another.

Had the first covenant been adequate, then there would have been no need for one to replace it.

(Heb 8:8 NIV) But God found fault with the people and said : "The time is coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah.

A quote from Jeremiah 31:31. Jeremiah was a prophet in the Old Testament.

(Jer 31:31 NIV) "The time is coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah.

(Heb 8:9 NIV) It will not be like the covenant I made with their forefathers when I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt, because they did not remain faithful to my covenant, and I turned away from them, declares the Lord.

A quote from Jeremiah 31:32. Jeremiah was a prophet in the Old Testament.

(Jer 31:32 NIV) It will not be like the covenant I made with their forefathers when I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt, because they broke my covenant, though I was a husband to them, " declares the LORD.

(Heb 8:10 NIV) This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after that time, declares the Lord. I will put my laws in their minds and write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.

A quote from Jeremiah 31:33. Jeremiah was a prophet in the Old Testament.

(Jer 31:33 NIV) "This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after that time," declares the LORD. "I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.

(Heb 8:11 NIV) No longer will a man teach his neighbor, or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,' because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest.

(Heb 8:12 NIV) For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more."

A quote from Jeremiah 31:33. Jeremiah was a prophet in the Old Testament.

(Jer 31:34 NIV) No longer will a man teach his neighbor, or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest," declares the LORD. "For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more."

(Heb 8:13 NIV) By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear.

The covenant and law of Moses is obsolete. The covenant through Christ Jesus is the new covenant.

(Mat 26:28 NIV) This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

(2 Cor 3:3 NIV) You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.

(2 Cor 3:4 NIV) Such confidence as this is ours through Christ before God.

(2 Cor 3:5 NIV) Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God.

(2 Cor 3:6 NIV) He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant--not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

(2 Cor 3:7 NIV) Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, fading though it was,

(2 Cor 3:8 NIV) will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious?

chad
Dec 28th 2013, 06:54 AM
HEBREWS 9

(Heb 9:1 NIV) Now the first covenant had regulations for worship and also an earthly sanctuary.

The first covenant. The covenant of the law given to Moses in Exodus Chapters 19-24.

(Exo 24:7 NIV) Then he took the Book of the Covenant and read it to the people. They responded, "We will do everything the LORD has said; we will obey."

(Exo 24:8 NIV) Moses then took the blood, sprinkled it on the people and said, "This is the blood of the covenant that the LORD has made with you in accordance with all these words."

(Heb 9:2 NIV) A tabernacle was set up. In its first room were the lampstand, the table and the consecrated bread; this was called the Holy Place.

God commanded Moses to make an earthly tabernacle (which was a copy of the heavenly tabernacle)

Exodus 25:8-9; Exodus Ch 35-40.

(Exo 25:8 NIV) "Then have them make a sanctuary for me, and I will dwell among them.
(Exo 25:9 NIV) Make this tabernacle and all its furnishings exactly like the pattern I will show you.

Tabernacle G 4908. mishkan, mish-kawn'; from H7931; a residence (includ. a shepherd's hut, the lair of animals, fig. the grave; also the Temple); spec. the Tabernacle (prop. its wooden walls):--dwelleth, dwelling (place), habitation, tabernacle, tent.

The tabernacle which Moses built consisted of.

The holy place (20 cubits) and the most holy place (10 cubits).These two areas were separated by a curtain Exodus 26:1-33

(See the below links for pictures).

http://www.boomerinthepew.com/2009/03/moses-builds-the-tabernacle.html

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=picture+of+the+tabernacle+of+moses&client=firefox-a&hs=RPQ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&source=iu&imgil=qIYUJNHoI5RP3M%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252F encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9 GcSCrVsJevR5vVn80s2mQ7dz3_WfiTiWghOk5znm1lRBtXD-tY5CPQ%253B507%253B468%253BjdgBPI9HHdgfeM%253Bhttp %25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.tabernacleofmoses.org%252 52F&sa=X&ei=Qv68UtWmDM26kQXv6IG4Cg&ved=0CDUQ9QEwBA&biw=1024&bih=598&dpr=1#facrc=_&imgdii=n-q5tsDWMM7XRM%3A%3BAfTbASKg8qcL8M%3Bn-q5tsDWMM7XRM%3A&imgrc=n-q5tsDWMM7XRM%3A%3BBG3imV_IpMQc-M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimg.docstoccdn.com%252Fthum b%252Forig%252F11611061.png%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fw ww.docstoc.com%252Fdocs%252F11611061%252FThe-Plan-of-the-Tabernacle-Revealed-to-Moses-on%3B1754%3B1240

In the Holy place were the following objects:

The golden lampstand which held 7 lamps. The 7 lamps were kept burning every night (Exodus 25:31-40)

The table of showbread (Exodus 25:22-30) which was placed on the north side of the tabernacle in the Holy Place (Ex 26:35).

On the table were 12 loaves of bread, they were placed in two rows of 6 on the table (Lev 24:5-6).

(See the below link for picture).

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=picture+of+the+tabernacle+of+moses&client=firefox-a&hs=RPQ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&source=iu&imgil=qIYUJNHoI5RP3M%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252F encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9 GcSCrVsJevR5vVn80s2mQ7dz3_WfiTiWghOk5znm1lRBtXD-tY5CPQ%253B507%253B468%253BjdgBPI9HHdgfeM%253Bhttp %25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.tabernacleofmoses.org%252 52F&sa=X&ei=Qv68UtWmDM26kQXv6IG4Cg&ved=0CDUQ9QEwBA&biw=1024&bih=598&dpr=1#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=hjaxLAhWf2hBJM%3A%3BM89t5tLXQ6DOXM%3Bhttp%25 3A%252F%252Fwww.tabernacleofmoses.org%252Fimages%2 52Fdiagram4.gif%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.tabernacl eofmoses.org%252Fchapter7.html%3B510%3B609

(Heb 9:3 NIV) Behind the second curtain was a room called the Most Holy Place, (4) which had the golden altar of incense and the gold-covered ark of the covenant. This ark contained the gold jar of manna, Aaron's staff that had budded, and the stone tablets of the covenant.

In the Most Holy Place was:

A golden alter of incense was placed in front of the Ark (Exodus 30:1-10, Exodus 40:5)

The gold covered Ark of the Covenant (Exodus 25:8-22).

Inside the ark was: the gold jar of manna (Exodus 16:14-15)

Aarons staff (Numbers 17:10)

The stone tablets of the covenant, which God gave Moses (Deuteronomy 9:10-11, 1 Kings 8:9).

(Heb 9:5 NIV) Above the ark were the cherubim of the Glory, overshadowing the atonement cover. But we cannot discuss these things in detail now.

Atonement Cover [Lid for the ark] - (Exodus 25:17; Exodus26:34)

The Cherubim of Glory (Exodus 25:17-22; Lev 16:2, Num 7:89).

(Exo 25:18 NIV) And make two cherubim out of hammered gold at the ends of the cover.

(Exo 25:19 NIV) Make one cherub on one end and the second cherub on the other; make the cherubim of one piece with the cover, at the two ends.

(Exo 25:20 NIV) The cherubim are to have their wings spread upward, overshadowing the cover with them. The cherubim are to face each other, looking toward the cover.

(Exo 25:21 NIV) Place the cover on top of the ark and put in the ark the Testimony, which I will give you.

(Exo 25:22 NIV) There, above the cover between the two cherubim that are over the ark of the Testimony, I will meet with you and give you all my commands for the Israelites.

Cherubim H3742. keruwb, ker-oob'; of uncert. der.; a cherub or imaginary figure:--cherub, [plur.] cherubims.

(Heb 9:6 NIV) When everything had been arranged like this, the priests entered regularly into the outer room to carry on their ministry.

Priests entered into the outer room.

(Heb 9:7 NIV) But only the high priest entered the inner room, and that only once a year, and never without blood, which he offered for himself and for the sins the people had committed in ignorance.

(Heb 9:8 NIV) The Holy Spirit was showing by this that the way into the Most Holy Place had not yet been disclosed as long as the first tabernacle was still standing.

In the earthly tabernacle, a curtain separated the most holy place and the holy place. When Jesus died and rose again and ascended into heaven, the most holy place was disclosed.

Matthew 27:50-52
(Mat 27:50 NIV) And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.
(Mat 27:51 NIV) At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook and the rocks split.
(Mat 27:52 NIV) The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life.

Hebrews 10:19-22
(Heb 10:19 NIV) Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus,
(Heb 10:20 NIV) by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body,
(Heb 10:21 NIV) and since we have a great priest over the house of God,
(Heb 10:22 NIV) let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.

Hebrews 6:19-20
(Heb 6:19 NIV) We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain,
(Heb 6:20 NIV) where Jesus, who went before us, has entered on our behalf. He has become a high priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek.

(Heb 9:9 NIV) This is an illustration for the present time, indicating that the gifts and sacrifices being offered were not able to clear the conscience of the worshiper.

Animal sacrifices and gifts under the law of Moses was not able to clear the conscience of the worshipper. They were just a reminder of our sins.

Hebrews 10:3-4
(Heb 10:3 NIV) But those sacrifices are an annual reminder of sins,
(Heb 10:4 NIV) because it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.

(Heb 9:10 NIV) They are only a matter of food and drink and various ceremonial washings--external regulations applying until the time of the new order.

The external regulations: food and drink, ceremonial washings applied until the time of the new order [New covenant].

(Heb 9:11 NIV) When Christ came as high priest of the good things that are already here, he went through the greater and more perfect tabernacle that is not man-made, that is to say, not a part of this creation.

Jesus ascended into Heaven (Acts 1:1-9).

(Heb 9:12 NIV) He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, having obtained eternal redemption.

By sacrificing himself on the cross, Jesus Christ of Nazareth, paid for out sin and became the ultimate sacrifice for us. Jesus obtained eternal redemption (John 10:17-18).

(Heb 9:13 NIV) The blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkled on those who are ceremonially unclean sanctify them so that they are outwardly clean.

Animal sacrifices could never take away our sin. The blood and ashes of animals sprinkled made them outwardly clean.

Hebrews 10:3-4
(Heb 10:4 NIV) because it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.

(Heb 9:14 NIV) How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God!

Through the blood of Christ, we receive forgiveness of sin. It cleanses our conscience.

(Heb 9:15 NIV) For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance--now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

Christ Jesus of Nazareth is the mediator of the new covenant. He has set us free from the sins committed under the first covenant [Sins committed under the law of Moses, the written code].

Romans 7:6
(Rom 7:6 NIV) But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

(Heb 9:16 NIV) In the case of a will, it is necessary to prove the death of the one who made it,

(Heb 9:17 NIV) because a will is in force only when somebody has died; it never takes effect while the one who made it is living.

(Heb 9:18 NIV) This is why even the first covenant was not put into effect without blood.

When Jesus died on the cross and shed his blood, the new covenant was put into effect.

(Heb 9:19 NIV) When Moses had proclaimed every commandment of the law to all the people, he took the blood of calves, together with water, scarlet wool and branches of hyssop, and sprinkled the scroll and all the people. (See Exodus 24:4-8).

(Heb 9:21 NIV) In the same way, he sprinkled with the blood both the tabernacle and everything used in its ceremonies.(See Exodus 24:4-8).

(Heb 9:22 NIV) In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgivenesss.

Jesus shed his blood by dying on the cross to pay for our sins, so that we may receive forgiveness for our sins.

(Heb 9:23 NIV) It was necessary, then, for the copies of the heavenly things to be purified with these sacrifices, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.

(Heb 9:24 NIV) For Christ did not enter a man-made sanctuary that was only a copy of the true one; he entered heaven itself, now to appear for us in God's presence.

The true sanctuary of God is in Heaven itself, where God dwells.

(Heb 9:25 NIV) Nor did he enter heaven to offer himself again and again, the way the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood that is not his own.

(Heb 9:26 NIV) Then Christ would have had to suffer many times since the creation of the world. But now he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself.

The KJV of Hebrews 9:26 reads as follows:

(Heb 9:26 KJV) For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

Put away G115. athetesis, ath-et'-ay-sis; from G114; cancellation (lit. or fig.):--disannulling, put away.

(Heb 9:27 NIV) Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment,

Man is destined to die once and face judgment, refuting the teachings of some religions who believe in reincarnation.

(Heb 9:28 NIV) so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.

chad
Dec 31st 2013, 07:00 AM
HEBREWS 10

(Heb 10:1 NIV) The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming--not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship.

The same animal sacrifices under the levitical priesthood could never take away sin. They were repeated year after year and could not make perfect those who draw near to worship.

Perfect G5048. teleioo, tel-i-o'-o; from G5046; to complete, i.e. (lit.) accomplish, or (fig.) consummate (in character):--consecrate, finish, fulfil, (make) perfect.

(Heb 10:2 NIV) If it could, would they not have stopped being offered? For the worshipers would have been cleansed once for all, and would no longer have felt guilty for their sins.

The sacrifices of animals cannot forgive our sins and cleanse our consciences (Heb 10:3-4; Heb 9:14).

The purpose of animal sacrifices was to remind us of our sins.

It is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sin.

(Heb 10:5 NIV) Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said: "Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but a body you prepared for me;

Psalms 40:6-7
(Psa 40:6 NIV) Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but my ears you have pierced ; burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not require.

(Psa 40:7 NIV) Then I said, "Here I am, I have come-- it is written about me in the scroll.

(Heb 10:6 NIV) with burnt offerings and sin offerings you were not pleased.

Burnt offerings and sin offerings did not please God.

(Heb 10:7 NIV) Then I said, 'Here I am--it is written about me in the scroll-- I have come to do your will, O God.'"

Psalms 40:7
(Psa 40:7 NIV) Then I said, "Here I am, I have come-- it is written about me in the scroll.

(Heb 10:8 NIV) First he said, "Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them" (although the law required them to be made).

Burnt offering and sin offerings were not desired or pleased God, but the law required them to be made.

(Heb 10:9 NIV) Then he said, "Here I am, I have come to do your will." He sets aside the first to establish the second.

But Jesus Christ of Nazareth, the son of God, came to earth to do the will of the father. He paid the price for our sin with his life which he sacrificed on the cross. The first covenant is set aside and a new covenant established.

(Heb 10:10 NIV) And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

KJV: (Heb 10:10 KJV) By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Sanctified G37. hagiazo, hag-ee-ad'-zo; from G40; to make holy, i.e. (cer.) purify or consecrate; (mentally) to venerate:--hallow, be holy, sanctify.

(Heb 10:11 NIV) Day after day every priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins.

Under the old covenant, the priests would stand and perform religious duties and offer sacrifices again and again, because those sacrifices could never take away sins.

(Heb 10:12 NIV) But when this priest had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God.

But when this priest [Jesus Christ of Nazareth, our high priest in the order of Melchizedek] offered for all time one sacrifice for sins. He died on the cross to pay for our sins, and when he rose again he sat down at the right hand of God.

(Heb 10:13 NIV) Since that time he waits for his enemies to be made his footstool,

(Heb 10:14 NIV) because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

KJV : (Heb 10:14 KJV) For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

Perfected. G5048. teleioo, to complete, i.e. (lit.) accomplish, or (fig.) consummate (in character):--consecrate, finish, fulfil, (make) perfect.

Santified G37. hagiazo, hag-ee-ad'-zo; from G40; to make holy, i.e. (cer.) purify or consecrate; (mentally) to venerate:--hallow, be holy, sanctify.

(Heb 10:15 NIV) The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says:

(Heb 10:16 NIV) "This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds."

Jeremiah 31:33
(Jer 31:33 NIV) "This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after that time," declares the LORD. "I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.

(Heb 10:17 NIV) Then he adds: "Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more."

Jeremiah 31:34
(Jer 31:34 NIV) No longer will a man teach his neighbor, or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest," declares the LORD. "For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more."

(Heb 10:18 NIV) And where these have been forgiven, there is no longer any sacrifice for sin.

When these sins have been forgiven, there is no longer any sacrifice for sin.
Through Jesus Christ, there is forgiveness of sin. Under the law of Moses and the old covenant, the sacrifice of animals could never forgive sin.

(Heb 10:19 NIV) Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus,

(Heb 10:20 NIV) by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body,

At Jesus death, the curtain was torn in two [Mt 27:51]. Jesus ascended and entered the true tabernacle, Heaven (Acts 1:9).

KJV: (Heb 10:20 KJV) By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;

Veil G2665. katapetasma, kat-ap-et'-as-mah; from a comp. of G2596 and a congener of G4072; something spread thoroughly, i.e. (spec.) the door screen (to the Most Holy Place) in the Jewish Temple:--vail.

(Heb 10:21 NIV) and since we have a great priest over the house of God,

Jesus is our great high priest over the house of God.
Moses was a servant in the house of God.

(Heb 10:22 NIV) let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.

(Heb 10:23 NIV) Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.

KJV: (Heb 10:23 KJV) Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised; )

Profession G3671. homologia, hom-ol-og-ee'-ah; from the same as G3670; acknowledgment:--con- (pro-) fession, professed.

Wavering G186. aklines, ak-lee-nace'; from G1 (as a neg. particle) and G2827; not leaning, i.e. (fig.) firm.:--without wavering.

(Heb 10:24 NIV) And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.

KJV: (Heb 10:24 KJV) And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
Good G2570. kalos, kal-os'; of uncert. affin.; prop. beautiful, but chiefly (fig.) good (lit. or mor.), i.e. valuable or virtuous (for appearance or use, and thus distinguished from G18, which is prop. intrinsic):--X better, fair, good (-ly), honest, meet, well, worthy.

Works G2041. ergon, er'-gon; from a prim. (but obsol.) ergo (to work); toil (as an effort or occupation); by impl. an act:--deed, doing, labour, work.

(Heb 10:25 NIV) Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

KJV: (Heb 10:25 KJV) Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Assembling G1997. episunagoge, ep-ee-soon-ag-o-gay'; from G1996; a complete collection; spec. a Chr. meeting (for worship):--assembling (gathering) together.

Exhorting G3870. parakaleo, par-ak-al-eh'-o; from G3844 and G2564; to call near, i.e. invite, invoke (by imploration, hortation or consolation):--beseech, call for, (be of good) comfort, desire, (give) exhort (-ation), intreat, pray.

(Heb 10:26 NIV) If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left,

Sin G264. hamartano, ham-ar-tan'-o; perh. from G1 (as a neg. particle) and the base of G3313; prop. to miss the mark (and so not share in the prize), i.e. (fig.) to err, esp. (mor.) to sin.--for your faults, offend, sin, trespass.

(Heb 10:27 NIV) but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.

(Heb 10:28 NIV) Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.

In the OT, under the law, the punishment for some sins was death (Deuteronomy 17:2-7).

(Heb 10:29 NIV) How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?

(Heb 10:30 NIV) For we know him who said, "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," and again, "The Lord will judge his people."

(Heb 10:31 NIV) It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

(Heb 10:32 NIV) Remember those earlier days after you had received the light, when you stood your ground in a great contest in the face of suffering.

JKV: (Heb 10:32) But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions;

Endured G5278. hupomeno, hoop-om-en'-o; from G5259 and G3306; to stay under (behind), i.e. remain; fig. to undergo, i.e. bear (trials), have fortitude, persevere:--abide, endure, (take) patient (-ly), suffer, tarry behind.

(Heb 10:33 NIV) Sometimes you were publicly exposed to insult and persecution; at other times you stood side by side with those who were so treated.

The treatment some believers faced in the early church, public insult and persecution.

(Heb 10:34 NIV) You sympathized with those in prison and joyfully accepted the confiscation of your property, because you knew that you yourselves had better and lasting possessions.

KJV: (Heb 10:34 KJV) For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance.

Spoiling G724. harpage, har-pag-ay'; from G726; pillage (prop. abstr.):--extortion, ravening, spoiling.

Goods G5224. huparchonta, hoop-ar'-khon-tah; neut. plur. of pres. part. act. of G5225 as noun; things extent or in hand, i.e. property or possessions:--goods, that which one has, things which (one) possesseth, substance, that hast.

(Heb 10:35 NIV) So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded.

(Heb 10:36 NIV) You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.

KJV: (Heb 10:36 KJV) For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

Patience G5281. hupomone, hoop-om-on-ay'; from G5278; cheerful (or hopeful) endurance, constancy:--enduring, patience, patient continuance (waiting).

(Heb 10:37 NIV) For in just a very little while, "He who is coming will come and will not delay.

(Heb 10:38 NIV) But my righteous one will live by faith. And if he shrinks back, I will not be pleased with him."

KJV: (Heb 10:38 KJV) Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

(Heb 10:39 NIV) But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved.

KJV: (Heb 10:39) But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

Perdition G684. apoleia, ap-o'-li-a; from a presumed der. of G622; ruin or loss (phys., spiritual or eternal):--damnable (-nation), destruction, die, perdition, X perish, pernicious ways, waste.

chad
Jan 4th 2014, 09:38 PM
HEBREWS 11

(Heb 11:1 NIV) Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Hebrews 11 uses examples of people in the Old Testament to illustrate faith.

Faith G4102. pistis, pis'-tis; from G3982; persuasion, i.e. credence; mor. conviction (of religious truth, or the truthfulness of God or a religious teacher), espec. reliance upon Christ for salvation; abstr. constancy in such profession; by extens. the system of religious (Gospel) truth itself:--assurance, belief, believe, faith, fidelity.

KJV: (Heb 11:1) Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Substance G5287. hupostasis, hoop-os'-tas-is; from a comp. of G5259 and G2476; a setting under (support), i.e. (fig.) concr. essence, or abstr. assurance (obj. or subj.):--confidence, confident, person, substance.

Evidence G1650. elegchos, el'-eng-khos; from G1651; proof, conviction:--evidence, reproof.

(Heb 11:2 NIV) This is what the ancients were commended for.

KJV: (Heb 11:2) For by it the elders obtained a good report.

Elders G4245. presbuteros, pres-boo'-ter-os; compar. of presbus (elderly); older; as noun, a senior; spec. an Isr. Sanhedrist (also fig. member of the celestial council) or Chr. "presbyter":--elder (-est), old.

(Heb 11:3 NIV) By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.

By faith we believe that the universe was created and formed at Gods Command. It was by Gods command, not by accident or chance as evolutionists and athiest's believe.

(Heb 11:4 NIV) By faith Abel offered God a better sacrifice than Cain did. By faith he was commended as a righteous man, when God spoke well of his offerings. And by faith he still speaks, even though he is dead.

By faith, Abel obeyed and offered a better sacrifice than his brother Cain (Genesis 4:3-7).

(Heb 11:5 NIV) By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death; he could not be found, because God had taken him away. For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God.

KJV: (Heb 11:5) By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

The KJV uses the word translated instead of Taken.

Translated G3346. metatithemi, met-at-ith'-ay-mee; from G3326 and G5087; to transfer, i.e. (lit.) transport, (by impl.) exchange, (reflex.) change sides, or (fig.) pervert:--carry over, change, remove, translate, turn.

That he should not see death, meaning he did not die a physical death.

(Heb 11:6 NIV) And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

It requires faith to believe in God. For we must first believe that God exists before we can put our faith in God. And we come to God, through belief in his son, Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

(John 14:6 NIV) Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
(John 11:25 NIV) Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies;
(John 11:26 NIV) and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"

(Heb 11:7 NIV) By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that comes by faith.

When Noah built the ark, he had to believe and have faith that he was doing what God had commanded him and the rain would come. (Genesis Ch 6-9)

(Heb 11:8 NIV) By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going.

(See Genesis 12:4)

(Heb 11:9 NIV) By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country; he lived in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise.

Issac was Abraham's son of Sarah. Jacob was one of Isaac's son of Rebekah.

(Heb 11:10 NIV) For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God.

(Heb 11:11 NIV) By faith Abraham, even though he was past age--and Sarah herself was barren--was enabled to become a father because he considered him faithful who had made the promise.

Sarah was 90 years old when Abraham gave the promise that she would bear a child to Abraham (Genesis 17:15-19, Genesis 18:9-14; Genesis Ch 21:1-7).

(Heb 11:12 NIV) And so from this one man, and he as good as dead, came descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as countless as the sand on the seashore.

(See: Genesis Ch 17-18; Genesis Ch23:16:-18)

(Heb 11:13 NIV) All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth.

KJV reads: (Heb 11:13 ) These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

(Heb 11:14 NIV) People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own.

(Heb 11:15 NIV) If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return.

(Heb 11:16 NIV) Instead, they were longing for a better country--a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.

(Heb 11:17 NIV) By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered Isaac as a sacrifice. He who had received the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son,

God tested Abraham to see if he would be faithful in sacrificing his only son Isaac in the region of Moriah. (See: Genesis Ch 22)

(Heb 11:18 NIV) even though God had said to him, "It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned."

It was through Isaac that God would establish his covenant with Abraham (Genesis 21:12).

(Heb 11:19 NIV) Abraham reasoned that God could raise the dead, and figuratively speaking, he did receive Isaac back from death.

If Abraham had sacrificed Isaac in the region of Moriah on the alter, how would God establish his covenant with Abraham? For it was through Isaac that the covenant would be established. Abraham reasoned that God could raise him from the dead, for it was through Issac that the covenant would be established.

(Heb 11:20 NIV) By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau in regard to their future.

Isaac was Abraham’s son of Sarah, whom the promise had been made. When Abraham died he left all he had to Isaac (Genesis 25:5).

Isaac married Rebekah at the age of 40. Rebekah had two children (twins), Esau and Jacob (Genesis 25:20-26).

Jacob (Isaac’s son) deceived Isaac and stole his brother Esaus blessing. For Esau was Isaac's first born son, even though they were twins (Genesis 27:15-40).

When Esau learned that Jacob had stolen his birthright and blessing, he planned to kill Jacob (Genesis 27:41-Genesis 28:5).

(Heb 11:21 NIV) By faith Jacob, when he was dying, blessed each of Joseph's sons, and worshiped as he leaned on the top of his staff.

Jacob had 12 sons and 1 daughter (Gen 35:23-26).

The sons of Leah – Laben’s older daughter. (Simeon, Levi, Judah, Issachar, Zebulun and a daughter Dinah - Gen 29:18-35, Gen 30:18-21).

The sons of Rachael – Laben’s younger daughter. (Joseph, Benjamin Gen 30:22-24, Gen 35:18).

The sons of Rachael’s maid servant Bilhah (Dan, Naphtali - Gen 30:1-9)

The sons of Leah’s maid servant Zilpah (Gad, Ashar, Gen 30:9-)

Genesis 35:10 – Records that God changed Jacobs name to Israel.

Israel H3478. Yisra'el, yis-raw-ale'; from H8280 and H410; he will rule as God; Jisrael, a symbolical name of Jacob; also (typically) of his posterity:--Israel.

Jacob blessed his sons before he died (Genesis 47:29-31 - Genesis 49:33).

Jacob’s sons became the 12 tribes of Israel (Genesis 49:28).

(Heb 11:22 NIV) By faith Joseph, when his end was near, spoke about the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt and gave instructions about his bones.

(See : Genesis Ch 50:24-26)

(Heb 11:23 NIV) By faith Moses' parents hid him for three months after he was born, because they saw he was no ordinary child, and they were not afraid of the king's edict.

(See : Acts Ch 7:20-23)

(Heb 11:24 NIV) By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh's daughter.

(Heb 11:25 NIV) He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a short time.

(Heb 11:26 NIV) He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward.

(Heb 11:27 NIV) By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king's anger; he persevered because he saw him who is invisible.

(Heb 11:28 NIV) By faith he kept the Passover and the sprinkling of blood, so that the destroyer of the firstborn would not touch the firstborn of Israel.

(See: Exodus Ch 12)

(Heb 11:29 NIV) By faith the people passed through the Red Sea as on dry land; but when the Egyptians tried to do so, they were drowned.

(See : Exodus Ch 14-15)

(Heb 11:30 NIV) By faith the walls of Jericho fell, after the people had marched around them for seven days.

(See : Joshua Ch 6)

(Heb 11:31 NIV) By faith the prostitute Rahab, because she welcomed the spies, was not killed with those who were disobedient.

(See : Joshua Ch 2:8-11, Joshua 6:22-25)

(Heb 11:32 NIV) And what more shall I say? I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David,
Samuel and the prophets,

Gideon – God was a mighty warrior of God. God used Gideon to deliver Israel out of the hand of the Midianites. The Midianites were allowed to impoverish Israel because they disobeyed God and worshipped the God of the Amorites (Chemosh) and did not listen to God. (Judges Ch 6-8:35)

Barak – Israel did evil in Gods eyes. God allowed them to be delivered into the hands of the Jabin, the king of Canaan, who reigned in Hazor. Barak defeated King Jabin of Canaan. (Judges Ch 4:6-16)

Samson - Samson fought against the Philistine’s (Judges Ch 13-24-25, Judges Ch 14-17:31).

Jephthah – Jephthah fought against and defeated the Ammorites. (Judges Ch 11- Judges 12:7)

David – David defeated Goliath, the Philistine champion and Israel defeated the Philistines. (1 Samuel Ch 16:13-2 – 1 Samuel 17:58)

Samuel – Samuel was a prophet of God and a judge over Israel (1 Samuel 3:20-21, 1 Samuel 7:15)

(Heb 11:33 NIV) who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions,

(Heb 11:34 NIV) quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength; and who became powerful in battle and routed foreign armies.

(Heb 11:35 NIV) Women received back their dead, raised to life again. Others were tortured and refused to be released, so that they might gain a better resurrection.

Woman received back the dead. The widow of Zerepath (1 Kings 17:17-24) and the Shunammite woman (2 Kings 4:8-36).

(Heb 11:36 NIV) Some faced jeers and flogging, while still others were chained and put in prison.

(Heb 11:37 NIV) They were stoned ; they were sawed in two; they were put to death by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreated--

(Heb 11:38 NIV) the world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and mountains, and in caves and holes in the ground.

(Heb 11:39 NIV) These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised.

(Heb 11:40 NIV) God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.

Perfect G5048. teleioo, tel-i-o'-o; from G5046; to complete, i.e. (lit.) accomplish, or (fig.) consummate (in character):--consecrate, finish, fulfil, (make) perfect.

chad
Jan 7th 2014, 03:31 AM
HEBREWS 12

(Heb 12:1 NIV) Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

KJV (Heb 12:1) Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

Witness G3144. martus, mar'-toos; of uncert. affin.; a witness (lit. [judicially] or fig. [gen.]); by anal. a "martyr":--martyr, record, witness.

Weight G3591. ogkos, ong'-kos; prob. from the same as G43; a mass (as bending or bulging by its load), i.e. burden (hindrance):--weight.

Sin G266. hamartia, ham-ar'-tee'-ah; from G264; sin (prop. abstr.):--offence, sin (-ful).

Besets G2139. euperistatos, yoo-per-is'-tat-os; from G2095 and a der. of a presumed comp. of G4012 and G2476; well standing around, i.e. (a competitor) thwarting (a racer) in every direction (fig. of sin in gen.):--which doth so easily beset.

Patience G5281. hupomone, hoop-om-on-ay'; from G5278; cheerful (or hopeful) endurance, constancy:--enduring, patience, patient continuance (waiting).

Race G73. agon, ag-one'; from G71; prop. a place of assembly (as if led), i.e. (by impl.) a contest (held there); fig. an effort or anxiety:--conflict, contention, fight, race.

The race, meaning our faith.

As Paul wrote: (2 Tim 4:7 NIV) I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

(Heb 12:2 NIV) Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

(Heb 12:2 KJV) Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

The KJV uses the word finisher of our faith.

Finisher G5047. teleiotes, tel-i-ot'-ace; from G5046; (the state) completeness (ment. or mor.):--perfection (-ness).

Author G747. archegos, ar-khay-gos'; from G746 and G71; a chief leader:--author, captain, prince.

Faith G4102. pistis, pis'-tis; from G3982; persuasion, i.e. credence; mor. conviction (of religious truth, or the truthfulness of God or a religious teacher), espec. reliance upon Christ for salvation; abstr. constancy in such profession; by extens. the system of religious (Gospel) truth itself:--assurance, belief, believe, faith, fidelity.

(Heb 12:3 NIV) Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

Endured G5278. hupomeno, hoop-om-en'-o; from G5259 and G3306; to stay under (behind), i.e. remain; fig. to undergo, i.e. bear (trials), have fortitude, persevere:--abide, endure, (take) patient (-ly), suffer, tarry behind.

(Luke 11:53 NIV) When Jesus left there, the Pharisees and the teachers of the law began to oppose him fiercely and to besiege him with questions,

(Luke 11:54 NIV) waiting to catch him in something he might say.

(Heb 12:4 NIV) In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood.

KJV reads : (Heb 12:4) Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

Striving G464. antagonizomai, an-tag-o-nid'-zom-ahee; from G473 and G75; to struggle against (fig.) ["antagonize"]:--strive against.

Sin G266. hamartia, ham-ar'-tee'-ah; from G264; sin (prop. abstr.):--offence, sin (-ful).

(Heb 12:5 NIV) And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons: "My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,

(Heb 12:5 KJV) And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:

The KJV uses the word Chastening instead of the word discipline.

Chastening G3809. paideia, pahee-di'-ah; from G3811; tutorage; i.e. education or training; by impl. disciplinary correction:--chastening, chastisement, instruction, nurture.

Rebukes G1651. elegcho, el-eng'-kho; of uncert. affin.; to confute, admonish:--convict, convince, tell a fault, rebuke, reprove.

(Heb 12:6 NIV) because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son."

(Heb 12:6 KJV) For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.

Chasteneth G3809. paideia, pahee-di'-ah; from G3811; tutorage; i.e. education or training; by impl. disciplinary correction:--chastening, chastisement, instruction, nurture.

(Heb 12:7 NIV) Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father?
Consider hardship as part of Gods discipline.

(Heb 12:8 NIV) If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons.

(Heb 12:9 NIV) Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live!

KJV (Heb 12:9) Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

Proverbs
(Prov 3:11 NIV) My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline and do not resent his rebuke,

(Prov 3:12 NIV) because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.

(Prov 1:7 NIV) The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.

(Prov 6:23 NIV) For these commands are a lamp, this teaching is a light, and the corrections of discipline are the way to life,

Job 5:17
(Job 5:17 NIV) "Blessed is the man whom God corrects; so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty.

(Heb 12:10 NIV) Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness.

In the Old Testament, a father would discipline his son.

(Prov 29:17 NIV) Discipline your son, and he will give you peace; he will bring delight to your soul.

Under the law of Moses in the Old Testament, a stubborn and rebellious son could be stoned to death.

(Deu 21:18 NIV) If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him,

(Deu 21:19 NIV) his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town.

(Deu 21:20 NIV) They shall say to the elders, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard."

(Deu 21:21 NIV) Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.

(Heb 12:11 NIV) No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

God discipline produces a harvest of righteousness and peace.

(Heb 12:12 NIV) Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees.

(Heb 12:13 NIV) "Make level paths for your feet," so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed.

(Prov 3:5 NIV) Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;

(Prov 3:6 NIV) in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

(Heb 12:14 NIV) Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.

KJV: (Heb 12:14) Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

Follow G1377. dioko, dee-o'-ko; a prol. (and caus.) form of a prim. verb dio (to flee; comp. the base of G1169 and G1249); to pursue (lit. or fig.); by impl. to persecute:--ensue, follow (after), given to, (suffer) persecute (-ion), press toward.

Peace G1515. eirene, i-ray'-nay; prob. from a prim. verb eiro (to join); peace (lit. or fig.); by impl. prosperity:--one, peace, quietness, rest, + set at one again.

Holiness G38. hagiasmos, hag-ee-as-mos'; from G37; prop. purification, i.e. (the state) purity; concr. (by Hebr.) a purifier:--holiness, sanctification.

(Heb 12:15 NIV) See to it that no one misses the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.

KJV : (Heb 12:15) Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;

Grace G5485. charis, khar'-ece; from G5463; graciousness (as gratifying), of manner or act (abstr. or concr.; lit., fig. or spiritual; espec. the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life; including gratitude):--acceptable, benefit, favour, gift, grace (-ious), joy liberality, pleasure, thank (-s, -worthy).

Defile G3392. miaino, me-ah'ee-no; perh. a prim. verb; to sully or taint, i.e. contaminate (cer. or mor.):--defile.

(Heb 12:16 NIV) See that no one is sexually immoral, or is godless like Esau, who for a single meal sold his inheritance rights as the oldest son.

Esau (Isaac’s first born son) sold his birthright to his younger brother Jacob for a meal (Gen 25:9).

A birthright in the time of Esau in the Old Testament, was the inheritance rights of the first born son.

(Heb 12:17 NIV) Afterward, as you know, when he wanted to inherit this blessing, he was rejected. He could bring about no change of mind, though he sought the blessing with tears.

Jacob deceived Isaac and he received Esau’s blessing (Genesis 27:1-46).

When Esau found out that Jacob has stolen his blessing from Isaac, Esau wept and asked Isaac to bless him as well (Gen 27:38).

(Heb 12:18 NIV) You have not come to a mountain that can be touched and that is burning with fire; to darkness, gloom and storm;

(Heb 12:19 NIV) to a trumpet blast or to such a voice speaking words that those who heard it begged that no further word be spoken to them,

(Heb 12:20 NIV) because they could not bear what was commanded: "If even an animal touches the mountain, it must be stoned."

(Heb 12:21 NIV) The sight was so terrifying that Moses said, "I am trembling with fear."

Verses 12:18-21 describe when the law was given to Moses (Ex 19:10-25, Dt 4:11-12, Dt 5:22-26)

(Heb 12:22 NIV) But you have come to Mount Zion, to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God. You have come to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly,

KJV (Heb 12:22) But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,

Sion G4622. Sion, see-own'; of Heb. or. [H6726]; Sion (i.e. Tsijon), a hill of Jerus.; fig. the Church (militant or triumphant):--Sion.

Heavenly G2032. epouranios, ep-oo-ran'-ee-os; from G1909 and G3772; above the sky:--celestial, (in) heaven (-ly), high.

Jerusalem G2419. Hierousalem, hee-er-oo-sal-ame'; of Heb. or. [H3389]; Hierusalem (i.e. Jerushalem), the capital of Pal.:--Jerusalem. Comp. G2414.

Inumerable G3461. murias, moo-ree'-as; from G3463; a ten-thousand; by extens. a "myriad" or indefinite number:--ten thousand.

Angels G32. aggelos, ang'-el-os; from aggello [prob. der. from G71; comp. G34] (to bring tidings); a messenger; esp. an "angel"; by impl. a pastor:--angel, messenger.

(Heb 12:23 NIV) to the church of the firstborn, whose names are written in heaven. You have come to God, the judge of all men, to the spirits of righteous men made perfect,

KJV (Heb 12:23) To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

Church G1577. ekklesia, ek-klay-see'-ah; from a comp. of G1537 and a der. of G2564; a calling out, i.e. (concr.) a popular meeting, espec. a religious congregation (Jewish synagogue, or Chr. community of members on earth or saints in heaven or both):--assembly, church.

Firstborn G4416. prototokos, pro-tot-ok'-os; from G4413 and the alt. of G5088; first-born (usually as noun, lit. or fig.):--firstbegotten (-born).

(Heb 12:24 NIV) to Jesus the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.

KJV (Heb 12:24) And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Mediator G3316. mesites, mes-ee'-tace; from G3319; a go-between, i.e. (simply) an internunciator, or (by impl.) a reconciler (intercessor):--mediator.

Blood G129. haima, hah'-ee-mah; of uncert. der.; blood, lit. (of men or animals), fig. (the juice of grapes) or spec. (the atoning blood of Christ); by impl. bloodshed, also kindred:--blood.

The murder of Abel bought a curse to his brother Cain (Genesis 4:10-11).

The Blood of Jesus brings redemption, through forgiveness of sin and establishes a new covenant (Lk 22:20, Rom 3:25, Rom 5:9, Eph 1:7)

(Heb 12:25 NIV) See to it that you do not refuse him who speaks. If they did not escape when they refused him who warned them on earth, how much less will we, if we turn away from him who warns us from heaven?

KJV (Heb 12:25) See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven:

Refuse G3868. paraiteomai, par-ahee-teh'-om-ahee; from G3844 and the mid. of G154; to beg off, i.e. deprecate, decline, shun:--avoid, (make) excuse, intreat, refuse, reject.

Turn G654. apostrepho, ap-os-tref'-o; from G575 and G4762; to turn away or back (lit. or fig.):--bring again, pervert, turn away (from).

Heaven G3772. ouranos, oo-ran-os'; perh. from the same as G3735 (through the idea of elevation); the sky; by extens. heaven (as the abode of God); by impl. happiness, power, eternity; spec. the Gospel (Christianity):--air, heaven ([-ly]), sky.

(Heb 12:26 NIV) At that time his voice shook the earth, but now he has promised, "Once more I will shake not only the earth but also the heavens."

KJV (Heb 12:26) Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven.

Shook G4531. saleuo, sal-yoo'-o; from G4535; to waver, i.e. agitate, rock, topple or (by impl.) destroy; fig. to disturb, incite:--move, shake (together), which can [-not] be shaken, stir up.

Shake G4579. seio, si'-o; appar. a prim. verb; to rock (vibrate, prop. sideways or to and fro), i.e. (gen.) to agitate (in any direction; cause to tremble); fig. to throw into a tremor (of fear or concern):--move, quake, shake.

(Heb 12:27 NIV) The words "once more" indicate the removing of what can be shaken--that is, created things--so that what cannot be shaken may remain.

KJV (Heb 12:27) And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.

Removing G3331. metathesis, met-ath'-es-is; from G3346; transposition, i.e. transferral (to heaven), disestablishment (of a law):--change, removing, translation.

(Heb 12:28 NIV) Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe,

KJV (Heb 12:28) Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:

Grace G5485. charis, khar'-ece; from G5463; graciousness (as gratifying), of manner or act (abstr. or concr.; lit., fig. or spiritual; espec. the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life; including gratitude):--acceptable, benefit, favour, gift, grace (-ious), joy liberality, pleasure, thank (-s, -worthy).

Serve G3000. latreuo, lat-ryoo'-o; from latris (a hired menial); to minister (to God), i.e. render religious homage:--serve, do the service, worship (-per).

Acceptably G2102. euarestos, yoo-ar-es'-toce; adv. from G2101; quite agreeably:--acceptably, + please well.

Reverence G127. aidos, ahee-doce'; perh. form G1 (as a neg. particle) and G1492 (through the idea of downcast eyes);
bashfulness, i.e. (towards men), modesty or (towards God) awe:--reverence, shamefacedness.

Fear G2124. eulabeia, yoo-lab'-i-ah; from G2126; prop. caution, i.e. (religiously) reverence (piety); by impl. dread (concr.):--fear (-ed).

(Heb 12:29 NIV) for our "God is a consuming fire."

(Deu 4:24 NIV) For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.

chad
Jan 7th 2014, 09:09 PM
HEBREWS 13

(Heb 13:1 NIV) Keep on loving each other as brothers.

KJV: (Heb 13:1) Let brotherly love continue.

Love G5360. philadelphia, fil-ad-el-fee'ah; from G5361; fraternal affection:--brotherly love (kindness), love of the brethren.

(Heb 13:2 NIV) Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.

Angels G32. aggelos, ang'-el-os; from aggello [prob. der. from G71; comp. G34] (to bring tidings); a messenger; esp. an "angel"; by impl. a pastor:--angel, messenger.

(Heb 13:3 NIV) Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.

KJV (Heb 13:3) Remember them that are in bonds, as bound with them; and them which suffer adversity, as being yourselves also in the body.

Bonds G1198. desmios, des'-mee-os; from G1199; a captive (as bound):--in bonds, prisoner.

(Heb 13:4 NIV) Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.

Jesus replied to the Pharisees in Matthew 19:4-6

(Mat 19:3 NIV) Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?"

(Mat 19:4 NIV) "Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,'

(Mat 19:5 NIV) and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'?

(Mat 19:6 NIV) So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

(Mat 19:7 NIV) "Why then," they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?"

(Mat 19:8 NIV) Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning.

(Mat 19:9 NIV) I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."

(Heb 13:5 NIV) Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."

For the love of Money is the root of all evil. Money is not evil, but the love of money is the root of all evil.

(1 Tim 6:10 NIV) For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

(Luke 16:14 NIV) The Pharisees, who loved money, heard all this and were sneering at Jesus.

(Heb 13:6 NIV) So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"

KJV (Heb 13:6) So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

(Heb 13:7 NIV) Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith.

KJV: (Heb 13:7) Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.

Conversation G391. anastrophe, an-as-trof-ay'; from G390; behavior:--conversation.

(Heb 13:8 NIV) Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

(Heb 13:9 NIV) Do not be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings. It is good for our hearts to be strengthened by grace, not by ceremonial foods, which are of no value to those who eat them.

Jesus teaching on Foods.

(Mark 7:18 NIV) "Are you so dull?" he asked. "Don't you see that nothing that enters a man from the outside can make him 'unclean'?

(Mark 7:19 NIV) For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body." (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods "clean.")

(Mark 7:20 NIV) He went on: "What comes out of a man is what makes him 'unclean.'

(Mark 7:21 NIV) For from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery,

(Mark 7:22 NIV) greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly.

(Mark 7:23 NIV) All these evils come from inside and make a man 'unclean.'"

(Heb 9:9 NIV) This is an illustration for the present time, indicating that the gifts and sacrifices being offered were not able to clear the conscience of the worshiper.

Only the blood of Jesus, through forgiveness of sin can clear the conscience of the worshipper.

(Heb 9:10 NIV) They are only a matter of food and drink and various ceremonial washings--external regulations applying until the time of the new order.

(Heb 13:10 NIV) We have an altar from which those who minister at the tabernacle have no right to eat.

Those who minster at the tabernacle. The priests under the levitical priesthood in the order of Aaron.

When Jesus died he sacrificed himself once and for all. He paid the price for our sins. Animal sacrifices are no longer required for they could never forgive sin, even though they were required by the law.

When Jesus was risen from the dead and ascended into heaven, he became our high priest in the order of Melchezidek - a different order than the levitical priesthood.

(Heb 13:11 NIV) The high priest carries the blood of animals into the Most Holy Place as a sin offering, but the bodies are burned outside the camp.

(Heb 13:12 NIV) And so Jesus also suffered outside the city gate to make the people holy through his own blood.

Jesus was crucified outside the gates of Jerusalem at Golgotha (Mk 5:21-22).

(Heb 13:13 NIV) Let us, then, go to him outside the camp, bearing the disgrace he bore.

(Heb 13:14 NIV) For here we do not have an enduring city, but we are looking for the city that is to come.

(Heb 13:15 NIV) Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise--the fruit of lips that confess his name.

KJV (Heb 13:15) By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.

The praise of our lips, the fruit of our lips.

(Heb 13:16 NIV) And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.

(Heb 13:17 NIV) Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you.

KJV : (Heb 13:17) Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

(Heb 13:18 NIV) Pray for us. We are sure that we have a clear conscience and desire to live honorably in every way.

(Heb 13:19 NIV) I particularly urge you to pray so that I may be restored to you soon.

(Heb 13:20 NIV) May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep,

John 10:14-16

(John 10:14 NIV) "I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me--

(John 10:15 NIV) just as the Father knows me and I know the Father--and I lay down my life for the sheep.

(John 10:16 NIV) I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.

(Heb 13:21 NIV) equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

(Heb 13:22 NIV) Brothers, I urge you to bear with my word of exhortation, for I have written you only a short letter.

Exhortation G3874. paraklesis, par-ak'-lay-sis; from G3870; imploration, hortation, solace:--comfort, consolation, exhortation, intreaty.

(Heb 13:23 NIV) I want you to know that our brother Timothy has been released. If he arrives soon, I will come with him to see you.

Timothy is considered a brother in terms of faith in Christianity.

(Heb 13:24 NIV) Greet all your leaders and all God's people. Those from Italy send you their greetings.

(Heb 13:25 NIV) Grace be with you all.