PDA

View Full Version : 2 Cor 5:17 is the fulfillment of Ezekiel 36: 26-27

Nick
Dec 7th 2013, 10:41 PM
The words of 2 Cor 5:17 "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come." The OT describes how God looked forward to this radical transformation in the lives of His people with this dramatic description:

"And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules." (Ezekiel 36:26-27, ESV)

I thought this prophesy referred to the Second Coming, but as I think about it, it has already been fulfilled through Christ. Along with the indwelling Spirit of God there was a promise that when we are made right with God will get a new spirit.

Along those same lines, God promised through Jeremiah, "I will put my law with them, and I will write it on their hearts." (Jer 31:33). Again, as previously thought, this isn't prophecy to be fulfilled; it is already fulfilled through Christ. Interesting.

LandShark
Dec 7th 2013, 10:54 PM
That is certainly one of the references brother, but not the only one. Go take a peek at Deut. 30:1-6 and you'll see a fairly amazing thing. God just gave the Torah (law, instructions) and says right there in the verses mentioned, and I paraphrase, "You will mess this up. And when you do I will punish you by scattering you into the nations." He then continues and again I am paraphrasing, "But I won't leave you there, I will instead come to you and when I do, I will call you back to me, and circumcise your hearts." When Paul is writing about the circumcising of the heart, this was his reference. So it starts really back then, and then is repeated in many places including the one you quotes and Ezekiel 11:19. Blessings Nick!