PDA

View Full Version : How we deal with ourselves

Blain
May 9th 2014, 11:17 PM
So im sure we can all relate to this at some level. I mess up all- the- time and I constantly am annoyed at how much of the world I am like and Not Christ and boy I wish I could just suddenly be just like him and not this person I am. I could blame it on the fact I am human after all as long as we live in the flesh we will constantly be dealing with human nature. but I see who Jesus is and I think to myself I want to be like that, so I cannot afford to allow the fact I am human keep me from being exactly as Jesus who is so deeply and richly filled with and humbleness and patience and generous and well you get the idea.

However Martin luther king jr. said it best in his quote:I may not be the man I want to be I may not be the man I ought to be I may not be the man I could be I may not be the man I truly can be but praise God im not the man I once was

mailmandan
May 9th 2014, 11:36 PM
So im sure we can all relate to this at some level. I mess up all- the- time and I constantly am annoyed at how much of the world I am like and Not Christ and boy I wish I could just suddenly be just like him and not this person I am. I could blame it on the fact I am human after all as long as we live in the flesh we will constantly be dealing with human nature. but I see who Jesus is and I think to myself I want to be like that, so I cannot afford to allow the fact I am human keep me from being exactly as Jesus who is so deeply and richly filled with and humbleness and patience and generous and well you get the idea.

What you said reminds me of what Paul said in Romans 7:14-25.

Protective Angel
May 10th 2014, 12:11 AM

However Martin luther king jr. said it best in his quote:I may not be the man I want to be I may not be the man I ought to be I may not be the man I could be I may not be the man I truly can be but praise God im not the man I once was

How do we do it?

We take off the old man and put on the new man. :)

mailmandan
May 10th 2014, 11:42 AM
How do we do it?

But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts (Romans 13:14). :)

LandShark
May 10th 2014, 02:04 PM
How do we do it?

I think it is wrapped up in one word, "submission." See, I see my early walk much like Blain described. I wanted to do ______, but I found myself doing ______ instead. Later in my walk, I learned I was never fully submitted to God, truly made Him Lord over me, living by His instructions rather than my own understanding. I am not saying Blain (or myself back then) didn't belong to God, I am instead suggesting we all go through a process. We have to remember that God is not a genie that snaps His fingers and makes us whole, or snaps His fingers and heals us. He can, but He generally works through others and over a period of time. So to Blain, consider how much of you that you have given up? Have you fully submitted every fiber of your being to God, or are you creating Him in an image that is more comfortable for you? I am not picking, I was guilty of this too.

Blain
May 10th 2014, 05:40 PM
I think it is wrapped up in one word, "submission." See, I see my early walk much like Blain described. I wanted to do ______, but I found myself doing ______ instead. Later in my walk, I learned I was never fully submitted to God, truly made Him Lord over me, living by His instructions rather than my own understanding. I am not saying Blain (or myself back then) didn't belong to God, I am instead suggesting we all go through a process. We have to remember that God is not a genie that snaps His fingers and makes us whole, or snaps His fingers and heals us. He can, but He generally works through others and over a period of time. So to Blain, consider how much of you that you have given up? Have you fully submitted every fiber of your being to God, or are you creating Him in an image that is more comfortable for you? I am not picking, I was guilty of this too.Landshark very good post:] I came to the understanding long ago that in order to be like Christ like this it would take a strong desire and dedication because this is not something easily obtained but I desire very strongly and just yesterday told God he could take everything I own and everything I am if I could just have more of him and if he could teach me daily to be like him.

LandShark
May 10th 2014, 05:51 PM
Landshark very good post:] I came to the understanding long ago that in order to be like Christ like this it would take a strong desire and dedication because this is not something easily obtained but I desire very strongly and just yesterday told God he could take everything I own and everything I am if I could just have more of him and if he could teach me daily to be like him.

Well, be prepared ( :) ) but in the end He will bless that. I hope I was clear that I also did the same thing? My first couple of years or so were filled with me trying to fit God into my life, whereas... we are called to make our life fit into God. Be blessed my friend!