PDA

View Full Version : Question about online resource for words

ChangedByHim
May 21st 2014, 06:00 PM
Is anyone aware of an online resource that will give you every Hebrew and Greek word that is translated a particular word in our English Bibles?

For instance, every Hebrew and Greek word that is translated "anoint."

Aijalon
May 21st 2014, 06:37 PM
you can on blueletterbible . org, but only in KJV or NASB I think.

You can do a word search, then click on the LEXICON tab. There are 14 listings (8 Hebrew/ 6 Greek) for anoint

H1101 balal bä·lal' mingled, confound, anointed, mixed, give provender, tempered, non translated variant
H1878 dashen dä·shān' made fat, wax fat, take away ashes, anoint, receive his ashes, accept
H3323 yitshar yits·här' oil, anointed
H4473 mimshach mim·shakh' anointed
H4886 mashach mä·shakh' anoint, painted
H4888 mishchah mēsh·khä' anointing, anointed, ointment
H4899 mashiyach mä·shē'·akh anointed, Messiah
H5480 cuwk sük anoint..., at all
New Testament (Greek) for "anoint"
G218 aleiphō ä-lā'-fō anoint
G1472 egchriō en-khrē'-ō anoint
G2025 epichriō e-pē-khrē'-ō anoint, anoint
G3462 myrizō mü-rē'-zō anoint
G5545 chrisma khrē'-smä anointing, unction
G5548 chriō khrē'-ō anoint

http://www.blueletterbible.org/search/search.cfm?Criteria=anoint&t=NLT#s=s_lexiconc

TheDivineWatermark
May 21st 2014, 06:38 PM
Is anyone aware of an online resource that will give you every Hebrew and Greek word that is translated a particular word in our English Bibles?

Do you mean something like this?

"anoint"

http://www.blueletterbible.org/search/search.cfm?Criteria=anoint&t=KJV&ss=1#s=s_primary_0_1

H4886
H5480

G218
G3462
G1472

Here's the main link, I think:

http://www.blueletterbible.org/

Perhaps you mean something else...?

Adding this: Aijalon's answer was more thorough than mine :D (apparently I was still typing when A posted)...

I wondered if you meant only where "anoint" is found, or where all the other English words are found (stemming from the Hebrew/Greek word... if that makes sense)

ChangedByHim
May 21st 2014, 07:30 PM
Thanks guys!!! :)

LandShark
May 21st 2014, 08:11 PM

I can give you a good list (and others have) but the problem with almost all e-sources is that they don't break down to the form a word happens to be in at that time. For example, I use e-sword and when I see a word in the OT I want to look into and I click on the Strong's #, I get the basic info and that's it. Isaiah 10:22, which is something that has been discussed in another thread, has the word "return" there and when you click on the Strong's # it says "shuv." (Actually is says shub, but it is shuv) But if you can read the Hebrew and look there, you see it isn't shuv, it is in another form and is y'shuv. That small difference changes everything in relation to what is being said. So whatever you find, make sure it shares the word forms in use in each verse, otherwise, you'll gain great insights in some areas and be hindered in others.

TheDivineWatermark
May 21st 2014, 08:57 PM
Here's another one I've used on occasion (not sure it's what you're looking for, but...):

for "anoint" (H4886... just one of the several listed earlier)

http://biblehub.com/text/leviticus/16-32.htm

Strong's H4886 69 Occurrences - http://biblehub.com/hebrew/4886.htm

keck553
May 21st 2014, 09:10 PM

I've noticed that the same Hebrew word can be translated to more than on english word, and that sometimes more than one Hebrew word is translated to just one english word. I'm not sure if there is just one resource that would contain all these nuances.

And then there are pictograms.......

Aijalon
May 21st 2014, 09:41 PM
I've noticed that the same Hebrew word can be translated to more than on english word, and that sometimes more than one Hebrew word is translated to just one english word. I'm not sure if there is just one resource that would contain all these nuances.

And then there are pictograms.......

You're basically talking Young's Literal Translation.

Young's Analytical Concordance is simply a listing of the King James Authorized word choices, with a list of all the different Hebrew words applied to the English word.

Young's whole mission apparently, was to write his translation as a companion to the KJV, which he felt was .... way off.

ContractKeeper
May 21st 2014, 10:18 PM
Hi ChangedByHim, God bless ya !

I highly regard Blue letter bible too for the purpose that you have inquired about. From any verse you search there, you pick a word from that verse and then after that; at the bottom of the page a list will display where else in scripture that particular word you choose is used elsewhere in scripture.

Also you might look for 'exhaustive' Greek an Hebrew lexicons.
The earlier the publishing the of the lexicon the better they are in my seasoned opinion.
And then with those G/H lexicons do the foot work yourself.

I have found that 'Thayers' is a good publisher of those said lexicons.
(The earlier publichings, I have not check out their newer published lexicons yet).
It is hard tedious work to use those lexicons in the function that you are inquiring about, but your diligence will be rewarded with the Holy Spirits when you use the lexicons in that capacity.

Also, after I do a private study I have come to realize that a profitable practice after and during a diligent study is to keep your ears and eyes open to the words uttered by your fellows. Words that they are unaware the Holy Spirit has caused them to utter in your ear-shot.

Also, Pray, pray, and pray some more too, before during AND after a study.
Being thankful also seems to move God to address our profitable desires too, quickening our knowledge of Him.

God bless you, good servant and friend of my Master.

keck553
May 21st 2014, 10:53 PM
You're basically talking Young's Literal Translation.

Young's Analytical Concordance is simply a listing of the King James Authorized word choices, with a list of all the different Hebrew words applied to the English word.

Young's whole mission apparently, was to write his translation as a companion to the KJV, which he felt was .... way off.

Well.....sort of. KJV isn't really that far off when compared to other translations, it's just that English is very limited in when compared to most ancient languages. Also context can change the meaning of some words, which I am not sure Young's attempts to rectify.

I really like interlinear texts. Artscroll Chumash for example is a good resource. But it still doesn't provide everything all in one.

keck553
May 21st 2014, 10:57 PM
Hi ChangedByHim, God bless ya !

I highly regard Blue letter bible too for the purpose that you have inquired about. From any verse you search there, you pick a word from that verse and then after that; at the bottom of the page a list will display where else in scripture that particular word you choose is used elsewhere in scripture.

Also you might look for 'exhaustive' Greek an Hebrew lexicons.
The earlier the publishing the of the lexicon the better they are in my seasoned opinion.
And then with those G/H lexicons do the foot work yourself.

I have found that 'Thayers' is a good publisher of those said lexicons.
(The earlier publichings, I have not check out their newer published lexicons yet).
It is hard tedious work to use those lexicons in the function that you are inquiring about, but your diligence will be rewarded with the Holy Spirits when you use the lexicons in that capacity.

Also, after I do a private study I have come to realize that a profitable practice after and during a diligent study is to keep your ears and eyes open to the words uttered by your fellows. Words that they are unaware the Holy Spirit has caused them to utter in your ear-shot.

Also, Pray, pray, and pray some more too, before during AND after a study.
Being thankful also seems to move God to address our profitable desires too, quickening our knowledge of Him.

God bless you, good servant and friend of my Master.

I agree, BLB has been a blessing.