PDA

View Full Version : Jesus in the story of the Good Samaritan

breadfirst
Aug 20th 2014, 07:39 AM
Isn't it wonderful to see Jesus using illustration in a passage to reinforce that He is the Messiah making it easier for listeners or readers to understand? I would like to elaborate one such example through the story of the Good Samaritan.

To begin please read Luke 10:25-37 (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=luke+10%3A25-37&version=NIV)

The context of the story begins with a lawyer (most likely someone who knew the Law very well) asking a question regarding eternal life. Two conditions were put before him as a response:

1)Love the Lord with all your heart, soul, and strength (Deut. 6:5 (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy+6%3A5&version=NKJV))
2)Love your neighbor as you love yourself (Lev. 19:18 (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Lev.+19%3A18&version=NKJV))

What's interesting is that when Nicodemus approaches Jesus regarding some questions in John 3:1-21 (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=john+3%3A1-21&version=NKJV); He does not respond with verses He quoted the lawyer. My thought here is that there is more than one way to know Christ. In other words, if the lawyer were to do exactly what the law required he may eventually come to know Christ because the Law points to Christ himself.

The story continues in that the lawyer wanted to justify himself by asking a question (which is normally the response in a covenant where religious ceremonies or works are involved for attaining peace with God). Here his question is geared towards determining the neighbor assuming he figured out the first part of loving the Lord with all your heart/soul/strength. Jesus now takes the conversation into a short story (parable).

In the parable there are primarily five different types of people and I would like to go over each one.

1)Beaten man
2)Priest
3)Levite
4)Good Samaritan
5)Innkeeper

1)The beaten man represents sinners. The devil has robbed their lives from the freedom they had with their Father right from the beginning. Over the years as the sin accumulates so do guilt, depravity, and reach a point where they feel beaten up like that traveler. I believe many of us can relate to that in our lives.

2)The priest represents the upholders of the Law and nominal Christians today. They were so busy reading and understanding the Law or in today's terms busy with Church activities they missed the intent of the Law/Gospel which was to show mercy.

3)Levite represents the pride of being known as chosen ones of God for working in the Temple and creates a self-righteous attitude. This can be seen in some Christians today as well.

4)The Good Samaritan represents Jesus himself. There are a number of clues here. One He is portrayed as a Samaritan and although Samaritan religious beliefs differed from those of the Jews the idea here is that Jesus introduces a new belief that is not the same as the Jewish belief. Just as the Jews could not tolerate the Samaritans due to religious differences and historical reasons; they could not tolerate Jesus and his new teachings. Expression of compassion is yet another sign this is the Lord himself in these passages. He also takes ownership of the fallen man by putting him on His own animal. Another hint we see is the use of oil and wine in treating the beaten man representing the Holy Spirit (oil) and Salvation (wine representing the shedding of blood). In addition He brings him to an inn and takes care of him and does not leave immediately. Last He gives two denarii and promises to come back and pay any outstanding balance. That message of coming back represents Christ's return.

5)Innkeeper represents the church. The church is responsible for taking care of the believers that Jesus brings them. It is not a temporary responsibility rather a permanent responsibility until the return of Christ who will reward the faithful. The inn itself represents a Christian's short term stay on earth.

To summarize Jesus was teaching the lawyer that the intent of the law was to have mercy on the wounded/broken/hurting condition of a sinner. That mercy of God was Jesus himself!

New Creature
Feb 16th 2015, 12:59 AM
1)Love the Lord with all your heart, soul, and strength (Deut. 6:5 (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy+6%3A5&version=NKJV))
2)Love your neighbor as you love yourself (Lev. 19:18 (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Lev.+19%3A18&version=NKJV))

What's interesting is that when Nicodemus approaches Jesus regarding some questions in John 3:1-21 (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=john+3%3A1-21&version=NKJV); He does not respond with verses He quoted the lawyer. My thought here is that there is more than one way to know Christ. In other words, if the lawyer were to do exactly what the law required he may eventually come to know Christ because the Law points to Christ himself.

There’s a couple of verses in John confirming one aspect of your contention: “For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me” - John 5:46. “Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph” - John 1:45.

Galatians confirms another aspect of your contention: “But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster” - Galatians 3:22, 25.

But there is a more direct way that the Law points to Christ himself: “Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect” - Matthew 5:48. There are 613 mitzvot: “For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all” - James 2:10. You would think that people who were the least bit interested in eternal life would abandon all hope in their works, worthiness, promises to cease from evil and commitments to do good; and believe in Jesus Christ alone for everlasting life. “And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work” - Romans 11:6.

If the lawyer had been in compliance with Deut. 6:5, he wouldn’t have had to ask who his neighbor was because Deut. 6:5 commands perfect love toward God, which is synonymous with perfect obedience (Deut. 11:1, 18-22; 13:4-5). “For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself” (Gal.5:14). Since he didn’t even know who his neighbor was, how could he have been in compliance with Lev. 19:18? Being out of compliance with Lev. 19:18 meant that he had utterly failed to obey Deut. 6:5 because love for God is demonstrated by love for one’s neighbor (Matt 22:37-40; I Jn. 4:20). Before Jesus even began the parable, the lawyer – an epic fail - convicted himself in the court of public opinion.

episkopos
Feb 16th 2015, 01:05 AM
Isn't it wonderful to see Jesus using illustration in a passage to reinforce that He is the Messiah making it easier for listeners or readers to understand? I would like to elaborate one such example through the story of the Good Samaritan.

To begin please read Luke 10:25-37 (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=luke+10%3A25-37&version=NIV)

The context of the story begins with a lawyer (most likely someone who knew the Law very well) asking a question regarding eternal life. Two conditions were put before him as a response:

The story continues in that the lawyer wanted to justify himself by asking a question (which is normally the response in a covenant where religious ceremonies or works are involved for attaining peace with God). Here his question is geared towards determining the neighbor assuming he figured out the first part of loving the Lord with all your heart/soul/strength. Jesus now takes the conversation into a short story (parable).

In the parable there are primarily five different types of people and I would like to go over each one.

1)Beaten man
2)Priest
3)Levite
4)Good Samaritan
5)Innkeeper

1)The beaten man represents sinners. The devil has robbed their lives from the freedom they had with their Father right from the beginning. Over the years as the sin accumulates so do guilt, depravity, and reach a point where they feel beaten up like that traveler. I believe many of us can relate to that in our lives.

2)The priest represents the upholders of the Law and nominal Christians today. They were so busy reading and understanding the Law or in today's terms busy with Church activities they missed the intent of the Law/Gospel which was to show mercy.

3)Levite represents the pride of being known as chosen ones of God for working in the Temple and creates a self-righteous attitude. This can be seen in some Christians today as well.

4)The Good Samaritan represents Jesus himself. There are a number of clues here. One He is portrayed as a Samaritan and although Samaritan religious beliefs differed from those of the Jews the idea here is that Jesus introduces a new belief that is not the same as the Jewish belief. Just as the Jews could not tolerate the Samaritans due to religious differences and historical reasons; they could not tolerate Jesus and his new teachings. Expression of compassion is yet another sign this is the Lord himself in these passages. He also takes ownership of the fallen man by putting him on His own animal. Another hint we see is the use of oil and wine in treating the beaten man representing the Holy Spirit (oil) and Salvation (wine representing the shedding of blood). In addition He brings him to an inn and takes care of him and does not leave immediately. Last He gives two denarii and promises to come back and pay any outstanding balance. That message of coming back represents Christ's return.

5)Innkeeper represents the church. The church is responsible for taking care of the believers that Jesus brings them. It is not a temporary responsibility rather a permanent responsibility until the return of Christ who will reward the faithful. The inn itself represents a Christian's short term stay on earth.

To summarize Jesus was teaching the lawyer that the intent of the law was to have mercy on the wounded/broken/hurting condition of a sinner. That mercy of God was Jesus himself!

Very good analogy...

ChangedByHim
Feb 16th 2015, 01:48 AM
Many don't care for an allegorical approach to parables. They are stuck on the notion that there is only one message, and only one. I see many allegorical truths in the scripture, such as the one you bring forth. God's Word is much deeper than most recognize.

Nagunae
Jun 9th 2015, 01:34 AM
Many don't care for an allegorical approach to parables. They are stuck on the notion that there is only one message, and only one. I see many allegorical truths in the scripture, such as the one you bring forth. God's Word is much deeper than most recognize.

I agree. There is much to learn from this parable: There's no indication that the person who got mugged deserved any help, every indication that they were on opposite sides of society (Samaritans and Jews and all that), no indication that he ever thanked the Samaritan, every indication that the Samaritan took some risks in helping out the guy (imagine an Indian carrying a seriously injured cowboy on his horse in previous times), etc.

But I really, really like Haddon Robinson's commentary on this parable:

Who is your neighbor? Your neighbor is anyone whose need you see, whose need God put you in a position to meet. It's as simple and profound as that.

DLE007
Jul 16th 2015, 06:19 PM
I had the privilege and honor of parents who were both Christians, and therefore; I was raised by going to church…….I had heard the story of the Good Samaritan many times as I was growing up.

I was teaching adult Sunday school and as I had read the story several times, and a few commentaries, and several analogies………..I stopped and prayed……….God can you help me with this passage of scripture, as I am familiar with it, can you reveal to me, something I need to understand.

As I finished praying, and thinking what in the world am I going to teach about with this lesson to an adult Sunday school class ages 40-60, and most of them “seasoned believers” if you know what I mean. I had been thinking about it all week and reading commentaries, bible dictionary, concordances, surfing the internet for additional information.

The doorbell rang and it was 9:30 on a Saturday morning…….I am a little ticked-off, as my study time was being interrupted. Reluctantly, I answer the door………thinking this had better be good, to bother me this early on a Saturday morning. A jolly guy, said good morning my name is Larry and I am not a Jehovah’s Witness. I started laughing……as he stumbled awkwardly onward to tell me he was a Christian. If I did not have a church home, I was invited to his church (close to my neighborhood). I told him, I was a Sunday school teacher at my own church, and he said….I understand, smiled and left.

I went back to my study, and that’s when it hit me like a ton of bricks……God is answering my prayer. Who is my neighbor, well I have a street full of them, and not once have I ever in my life, invited any of them to church, much less witness to them. I put on my shoes and went out the front door and saw the Jolly man Larry, walking up to the next house about 200 yards away, I yelled……Hey Man…..Can I come with you…..

Larry and the other guy looked at each other…….and yelled back…. sure. I ran to them, we walked to every house in the subdivision (26) homes and I totally took over, and when the owners came to the door I said good morning, do you have a church home, if they said no, I quoted John 14:6 and ask if they would like to pray to receive Christ……and I invited them to “Larry’s Church”…….(will not go into the details of that)……If they were already a Christian…..I said you have (3) brother in Christ here, what are you special prayer needs and we prayed…….what a wonderful day……Now I had a Sunday school lesson to teach.

God taught me that day, my neighbors are everyone in my realm……I could not see it.
Praise God he can still use me, as broken as I am, as a filthy rag sinner as I am, yet God loves me enough not to let me stay where I am at…….I learned my neighbors are those near me, not matter if they are believers or unbelievers.

episkopos
Jul 16th 2015, 06:23 PM
I had the privilege and honor of parents who were both Christians, and therefore; I was raised by going to church…….I had heard the story of the Good Samaritan many times as I was growing up.

I was teaching adult Sunday school and as I had read the story several times, and a few commentaries, and several analogies………..I stopped and prayed……….God can you help me with this passage of scripture, as I am familiar with it, can you reveal to me, something I need to understand.

As I finished praying, and thinking what in the world am I going to teach about with this lesson to an adult Sunday school class ages 40-60, and most of them “seasoned believers” if you know what I mean. I had been thinking about it all week and reading commentaries, bible dictionary, concordances, surfing the internet for additional information.

The doorbell rang and it was 9:30 on a Saturday morning…….I am a little ticked-off, as my study time was being interrupted. Reluctantly, I answer the door………thinking this had better be good, to bother me this early on a Saturday morning. A jolly guy, said good morning my name is Larry and I am not a Jehovah’s Witness. I started laughing……as he stumbled awkwardly onward to tell me he was a Christian. If I did not have a church home, I was invited to his church (close to my neighborhood). I told him, I was a Sunday school teacher at my own church, and he said….I understand, smiled and left.

I went back to my study, and that’s when it hit me like a ton of bricks……God is answering my prayer. Who is my neighbor, well I have a street full of them, and not once have I ever in my life, invited any of them to church, much less witness to them. I put on my shoes and went out the front door and saw the Jolly man Larry, walking up to the next house about 200 yards away, I yelled……Hey Man…..Can I come with you…..

Larry and the other guy looked at each other…….and yelled back…. sure. I ran to them, we walked to every house in the subdivision (26) homes and I totally took over, and when the owners came to the door I said good morning, do you have a church home, if they said no, I quoted John 14:6 and ask if they would like to pray to receive Christ……and I invited them to “Larry’s Church”…….(will not go into the details of that)……If they were already a Christian…..I said you have (3) brother in Christ here, what are you special prayer needs and we prayed…….what a wonderful day……Now I had a Sunday school lesson to teach.

God taught me that day, my neighbors are everyone in my realm……I could not see it.
Praise God he can still use me, as broken as I am, as a filthy rag sinner as I am, yet God loves me enough not to let me stay where I am at…….I learned my neighbors are those near me, not matter if they are believers or unbelievers.

Very good! :)....