PDA

View Full Version : Encouragement

SeekFirstTheKingdom
Sep 8th 2014, 08:47 AM
Sometimes with all of the different topics discussed and with all of our differences in opinions...it gets really easy to be snared in snarky contentious unloving atmospheres which most likely grieve our LORD.

In the context of 1 Corinthians 13:2, with the intention of glorifying our King while edifying each other, this thread is to remind us of our purpose and to get back to the basics, even if just for a quick moment.

I will start by saying that I am fairly new here, and I have already learned a lot (iron sharpens iron) from you my brothers and sisters in Christ. It's a blessing to have a forum such as this to be able to gather and discuss things with everyone. I apologize for the many times I have lacked love and come off as really hot headed while stating my opinions, and I forgive those who have been snarky and argumentative/unloving with me.

Feel free to love on each other and to encourage one another, or to contribute to this attempt at glorifying Jesus in obedience to the Word below. God bless.

1 Corinthians 13 New King James Version (NKJV)

The Greatest Gift

13 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned,[a (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%2013&version=NKJV#fen-NKJV-28669a)] but have not love, it profits me nothing.
4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there aretongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.
13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Jeanne57
Sep 18th 2014, 12:36 PM
Sometimes with all of the different topics discussed and with all of our differences in opinions...it gets really easy to be snared in snarky contentious unloving atmospheres which most likely grieve our LORD.

In the context of 1 Corinthians 13:2, with the intention of glorifying our King while edifying each other, this thread is to remind us of our purpose and to get back to the basics, even if just for a quick moment.

I will start by saying that I am fairly new here, and I have already learned a lot (iron sharpens iron) from you my brothers and sisters in Christ. It's a blessing to have a forum such as this to be able to gather and discuss things with everyone. I apologize for the many times I have lacked love and come off as really hot headed while stating my opinions, and I forgive those who have been snarky and argumentative/unloving with me.

Feel free to love on each other and to encourage one another, or to contribute to this attempt at glorifying Jesus in obedience to the Word below. God bless.

1 Corinthians 13 New King James Version (NKJV)

The Greatest Gift

13 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned,[a (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%2013&version=NKJV#fen-NKJV-28669a)] but have not love, it profits me nothing.
4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there aretongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.
13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
Very good post, and an apt reminder. I have to admit that there have been times when I've gotten a bit snarky myself, but most of the time, I just love being able to discuss things with people in a rational, respectful atmosphere. Yes, there are some issues that I feel VERY strongly about, and I do tend to get rather opinionated when it comes to those. And though I do try to remain respectful, it does get a little difficult when other people can't see something I think ought to be very plain. *SIGH*

I've only been here for six months myself, and I have to say that I HAVE learned a lot. I find myself having to turn to the Scriptures more and more to search out what I believe and why (I love BibleGateway, too btw. Makes it so easy to look things up. In fact, I just turned to it now, and their verse for the day seems very appropriate for this topic:)

Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
Philippians 2:3-4 AKJV

A few of the things I've learned here:

1. There is more than one way to interpret Scripture, and some of the things I've read here have challenged things I've just taken for granted all my life.
2. You can still be friends with people, even if you disagree with them.
3. Some people will NEVER change their minds about certain things, even when you point out Scripture that clearly contradicts what they're saying.
4. Nobody is ever going to agree with EVERYTHING you have to say, even if you believe your vision is clear on the topic.
5. Even people I've had arguments with on some threads have things to say on other topics that I totally agree with.

And the very most important thing: NOBODY has it ALL figured out. I've been proven wrong on occasion (which is a very humbling experience), I've been proven right on others, and some things I thought I was sure of I now question, and am not as confident in anymore. All of this means I just have to study more to get a clearer picture of what God is really saying.

So thanks for opening up this thread. I'll leave with this thought:

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart;
and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him,
and he shall direct thy paths.

watchinginawe
Sep 18th 2014, 01:05 PM
I will start by saying that I am fairly new here, and I have already learned a lot (iron sharpens iron) from you my brothers and sisters in Christ. Don't forget though, Rock crushes scissors! :lol:

I agree that it is a blessing to have this forum and only add to thank those who make them available, along with the volunteers who administrate and moderate them.

I had a thought somewhere along the line some years ago about how much more so the word of God has been published these last years. When you think about it, it is truly exponential. When the printing press came along and the Bible was put into the hands of the common people, one of the stated goals was that the people would come to know the Bible better than the clergy. Of course, there wasn't a lot of trust of the clergy at the time. Anyone with half a brain could see the problems that would arise from that and they did. And now with all the online study materials and lexicons and the opening of the word even that we do here. All of it in the critical examination begs disagreement. But also learning, discovery, growth, and maturity. And if we could hit it just right, which seems beyond our maturity or the format perhaps, love.

SeekFirstTheKingdom
Sep 19th 2014, 06:19 AM
I am relieved and excited to see replies to this thread. I did it not only to encourage an atmosphere of love and respect among the members of the forum, but also as somewhat of an experiment or test to see if people were as responsive to this topic as they were to others...No one replied to it even after 100 plus views, to which I was sad just seeing all the threads of arguments and debates etc.

I am a super confrontational person in the flesh, and completely guilty of this very thing I am trying to expose and get away from. It was a recent revelation by the Holy Spirit to show me that I don't have to be right about everything, and that I don't need to know everything about everything, but that I need to be more loving to those who disagree or who hold different opinions than myself. Not easy! But praise Jesus it's important beyond understanding.

I have noticed that on Christian forums, and in Christian circles, it's more common to see people finding differences in opinions and debating them, than it is to see them celebrating the things that unite them. This could just be a phase I am seeing and going through in my walk, no doubt.

Jeanne57
Sep 19th 2014, 10:26 AM
I am relieved and excited to see replies to this thread. I did it not only to encourage an atmosphere of love and respect among the members of the forum, but also as somewhat of an experiment or test to see if people were as responsive to this topic as they were to others...No one replied to it even after 100 plus views, to which I was sad just seeing all the threads of arguments and debates etc.

I am a super confrontational person in the flesh, and completely guilty of this very thing I am trying to expose and get away from. It was a recent revelation by the Holy Spirit to show me that I don't have to be right about everything, and that I don't need to know everything about everything, but that I need to be more loving to those who disagree or who hold different opinions than myself. Not easy! But praise Jesus it's important beyond understanding.

I have noticed that on Christian forums, and in Christian circles, it's more common to see people finding differences in opinions and debating them, than it is to see them celebrating the things that unite them. This could just be a phase I am seeing and going through in my walk, no doubt.
Debate is good, when it is done in a respectful, loving manner. It challenges people to think beyond what they thought they knew for certain, to question, and to go to the Scriptures more for answers. While it's important to love and encourage each other, for myself, I think this would be a pretty boring place if that was ALL that was taking place. The Bible tells us that if we see someone is in error, we should point it out, however some errors are a lot more obvious than others, and that requires a lot more discussion.

Certain areas of the forum also invite more heated discussions than others, such as Contro. Controversial Issues are just that: controversial, so of course you're going to get all sorts of people with all sorts of different opinions, and we all tend to voice them rather vociferously. Take a recent thread on the war in Gaza for instance. I think that thread ended up being close to 40 pages long, and spawned several sub-threads because the main discussion kept getting derailed (which also happens a lot on here). But people were very divided in their feelings towards Israel, and it showed. But like I said earlier, I can still be friends with and have pleasant conversations with people I disagree with in some threads, because I think they're totally spot on in other areas.

I've also found some very valuable resource and study materials through other members here. One person posted a video on one thing, and it was a guy talking about his latest book. I ended up buying two of his books, along with another one he recommended in one of them, and watching another set of videos on YouTube by someone else he recommended in the first book. Always interesting stuff here!