PDA

View Full Version : Please Help The Holy spirit?

Blain
Sep 21st 2014, 04:04 AM
So last night I was talking to God and the subject of the holy spirit came up, I asked God who he is and what is he like and can i have an intimate relationship with him like i do with the father and Jesus. And if I am in need of supernatural help can i call on him to help me and if I can was this power always available to me and if so how come i couldnt do it before and what am I allowed to do what is my limits. lots of questions like that and so I decided to pray to the holy spirit and ask all these questions, and after asking all this I didnt know if he was even going to answer and I began to ask are you even there but half way before I finished something happened, i felt a small gust of wind and im not sure if it was my ceiling fan or if it was him but for some reason i was frozen for a moment a little scared.

But as far as I know he didnt answer me, So i decided to come to cc to find the answer to my questions-oh and i forgot one more question I asked. I asked if we Christians are given the holy spirit and we gain understanding of the scriptures while reading because of the holy spirit why is there so much different interpretations of scripture

Twin2
Sep 21st 2014, 05:14 AM
I am not sure that I can answer completely, but I certainly want to try.

Remember we are human and we will make mistakes, whether we have received the baptism of the Spirit or not. Paul said he died daily. We are to repent of our sins regularly. Sometimes we feel we don't sin, but there are sins of ommission as well as sins of commission. Sometimes what we don't do is as sinful as the sins we do partake in.

I cannot say about the gust of wind. It very well could have been the presence of the Holy Spirit. I have experienced similar before.

The Bibles tells us that those who hunger and thirst after rightsousness shall be filled. It says if we draw nigh unto God, he will draw nigh unto us. If you are seeking that closer walk with God and you desire the baptism of the Holy Ghost. Have faith and don't give up.

Blain
Sep 21st 2014, 05:24 AM
I am not sure that I can answer completely, but I certainly want to try.

Remember we are human and we will make mistakes, whether we have received the baptism of the Spirit or not. Paul said he died daily. We are to repent of our sins regularly. Sometimes we feel we don't sin, but there are sins of ommission as well as sins of commission. Sometimes what we don't do is as sinful as the sins we do partake in.

I cannot say about the gust of wind. It very well could have been the presence of the Holy Spirit. I have experienced similar before.

The Bibles tells us that those who hunger and thirst after rightsousness shall be filled. It says if we draw nigh unto God, he will draw nigh unto us. If you are seeking that closer walk with God and you desire the baptism of the Holy Ghost. Have faith and don't give up. Well the baptism of the holy spirit happened at the beginning of me being saved, i dont say this because i believe that because i am saved i was given him I mean i felt him burning inside me the second I was saved. I mean holy cow i have never felt such power and energy before lol I also should say when i was talking to God and decided to pray to the holy spirit i felt something i have never felt before. Its like I tuned into a different frequency if that makes sense. I just dont know hardly anything about him and what relationship I can have with him and what i am even allowed to do and ask him

breadfirst
Sep 21st 2014, 04:14 PM
Blain,

If you get a chance read Luke 11:1-13 (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=luke+11%3A1-13&version=NASB). The passage starts by Jesus teaching the disciples how to pray and ends with the promise to give the Holy Spirit to those who ask, seek, and knock with persistence. This shows the vastness of the Lord's generosity and willingness to give us His Spirit which is the ultimate gift anyone living on earth can get.

Now regarding a confirmation whether you received the Spirit. My view is that the Holy Spirit lives with you since you were saved; however, for enabling or a better word maybe empowering you for the Lord's work the Holy Spirit's baptism is required. When this occurs it can descend upon someone gently or like wind. When it does you will speak in tongues OR speak with courage and boldness OR prophecy (See Acts 2 and Acts 19). These are some of the evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit. This is also where you determine the specific gift He has given you for equipping the saints so that as a church you can grow to the stature of Christ (Ephesians 4:7-16 (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=ephesians+4%3A7-16&version=NASB))

The Holy Spirit has not changed since the time of Christ. His ministry continues to remain the same throughout the years since His arrival on the day of Pentecost. However, He is the most misunderstood and misinterpreted of the Trinity. Best reference is to look at the Bible and not the history of the world which has all kinds of vague misinterpretations of the Holy Spirit. Hope this helps.

Old man
Sep 21st 2014, 08:17 PM
Ö I asked if we Christians are given the holy spirit and we gain understanding of the scriptures while reading because of the holy spirit why is there so much different interpretations of scripture[/COLOR]
Because we assume that everything we come up with must be from the Holy Spirit and canít possibly be ourselves reading too much or too littleinto the passage or spiritualizing it too much, etc. Most of what we come up with is from our own reasoning many times based mostly on doctrines we already adhere to. There are also time when the Holy Spirit is simply using a scripture to address an issue in our own life but that doesnít mean that what He ministers is what the scripture He uses actually means but we think and insist that it does (at least until He ministers to us completely differently at some point later using the same scripture he did before).

alewiscii
Sep 22nd 2014, 02:01 AM
Dear Blain, First, though the Holy Spirit is one part of the Trinity He is also the same as the other two. What I mean by that is we can't really talk to one without talking to the other two because they are one. Second, I don't think we can expect the Holy Spirit to teach us everything about a verse or a passage just because we choose to read it. I have found the key to learning the Word of God and being taught by the Holy Spirit is to approach the Word of God prayerfully and then make it a daily part of my life. Not just that I read some portion of it everyday, but that I read it in its entirety at least once a year. This forces me to compare scripture with scripture and with the help of God's Spirit I learn line upon line, precept upon precept. Also, learning what the Bible says and what it means is only part of the learning process. We have to take what we learn and use it in our everyday lives, only then can we truly grow. In that way, under the leadership of God's Spirit, we gain both knowledge and experience which is what it truly means to grow spiritually. What comes with that growth is wisdom, understanding and discernment. Below I have included a lesson God gave me on what it means to be led by the Holy Spirit. I hope it helps. God Bless!

Romans 8:11-17, The presence of the Holy Spirit means life from the dead. He is the opportunity for the believer in Christ to have a whole new way of life enlightened and directed by God the Creator. Notice again Rom 8:14. A characteristic of a child of God is that he or she is led by the Holy Spirit. To be led by the Holy Spirit we must be familiar with the things He wants to do in us and then be submissive to Him. If we are not then we will probably end up being led by our own feelings or reasonings and calling it Holy Spirit leadership. In other words we will be deceived. Led means to lead by laying hold of. In that definition we can see the reason why many Christians are not led by God's Spirit, they don't want anyone laying hold of their life. Being led by the Holy Spirit is accomplished by letting Him do some very basic things in our hearts on a daily basis. We are going to look at the ministry of the Holy Spirit as declared in Scripture and by doing so see how He can lead us. Let's first take a brief look at the consequences of a believer not being led by the Holy Spirit.

8:13 if ye live after the flesh - Flesh here means the human, sensual, worldly nature of man apart from divine influence. Men living after the flesh is why the world is in a mess and why the Church in America has lost its power and influence.

ye shall die - The word die here means to perish by means of something. Jesus said in John 10:10 ...I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. In Christ and the enlightenment of the Holy Spirit there is life. Apart from that there is only death. Man at his best apart from God walks unknowingly toward destruction like a bull in his pride to the slaughter house. God intends something much better for His children. Romans 8:3-4 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. God wants us to be a peculiar people that testify of His holiness and grace through our manner of life that we might be an influence for righteousness in a world headed for destruction. So an important question is does my life testify of God's holiness and grace to those around me? If it does not then I am in desperate need of being led by the Holy Spirit.

The following are things the Holy Spirit seeks to do in each one of us that He might lead us.

I. The Holy Spirit Confirms. Jesus speaking to His disciples said in John 14:16-17 ...I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. The disciples already knew the Holy Spirit because they knew Jesus. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are one and the same. We have one God manifest in three persons. We are indwelt by God's Holy Spirit when we receive Christ as our Savior. Speaking of Christ, Paul said in Eph 1:13-14 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. God indwells believers in Christ and according to 1 Cor 12:12-13 God's Spirit places believers into the Body of Christ. This means God is in them and they are in Christ, that is a true union. Paul also said in Rom 8:8-9 ...they that are in the flesh cannot please God. But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Believers in Christ have been given spiritual life because of the presence of God's indwelling Spirit. With this new life it's possible to please God by following the leadership of His Spirit. Paul said in Gal 5:25 ...If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. So if we are going to be led by the Holy Spirit we must be sure of our salvation in Christ. Notice again Rom 8:16. How does the Holy Spirit bear witness with us that we are a child of God? The most important way He does it is by enlightenment through the Word of God. Enlightenment occurs when we come to the Word of God with a heart that is toward God. According to John 16:13 the Holy Spirit guides us into all truth. We can know we are saved because of what the Bible declares. The Holy Spirit confirms the salvation we have in Christ through the Word of God giving us a stable foundation from which we can have fellowship with God. The confirming of God's salvation in Christ is essential if He is to Lead us. A lack of assurance can in fact be a lack of enlightenment through the Word of God.

II. The Holy Spirit Renews. Paul wrote in Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost. The washing of regeneration is the salvation of our soul by believing on Christ. The renewing of the Holy Ghost is enlightenment through the Word of God that saves our life and influence in this world for the glory of God. This renewing could be described as the adjustment of our thinking and behavior into agreement with God. Paul spoke of it in Rom 12:2 ...be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. The renewing of the mind takes place when the Holy Spirit refreshes the believer through the Word of God. Paul said to the Corinthians in 2 Cor 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates? How do I know I have the right faith? How do I prove myself? How do I know that Christ is in me? How do I know I'm not a reprobate? By allowing the Holy Spirit, through enlightenment, to compare what I am and what I have to what the Word of God says. The Holy Spirit will confirm us and renew us in the Word of God. Renewing is another basic way the Holy Spirit works in us in order to lead us. Where there is no renewing there is a worldly Christian who is not much different than the lost sinners around him.

III. The Holy Spirit Reproves. Jesus said in John 16:7-11 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged. The most important way the Holy Spirit reproves is through the Word of God. He reveals the unbelief and sin of man, the righteousness of God, and the judgment to come. If He did not, there would be no salvation from sin or the corruption in this world! He continues this ministry of reproof after we're saved. Jesus called the Holy Spirit the "Spirit of Truth" because He bears witness of the truth, by doing so He reproves our sin. Paul said in Gal 5:16-18 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law. One important way the Holy Spirit confronts us with our sin is through the Word of God. His reproof gives us the opportunity to confess and forsake our sin. If we do not make the Word of God a regular part of our life we deprive the Holy Spirit of the best tool He has to reprove us. James 1:22-25 ...be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed. Decisions made at a church meeting mean nothing without continuance in the Word of God. Something else to consider is that if we do not come to the Word of God with a heart that is toward God there will be no enlightenment. That is why it's possible to read the Bible and get nothing from it. John wrote in 1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If I have failed to confess specific sin in a days time it's because I have not allowed the Holy Spirit to reprove me. If I am not acknowledging my sin how can I be walking with God? The reproof of the Holy Spirit is another basic way He works in us so He can leads us. Without reproof a man will walk after his own reasonings.

IV. The Holy Spirit Teaches. Paul wrote in 1 Cor 2:9-12 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Jesus said in John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. The Holy Spirit gives us enlightenment in the things of God bringing us understanding so we may embrace His exceeding great and precious promises. Listen to what the psalmist proclaims to God in Ps 119:99-100 I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts. One important key to being taught is found in Ps 25:9 The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way. If I am unwilling to have God direct my life I can't be taught by Him. The teaching of the Holy Spirit is another basic way He leads us. Sadly many know to much to be taught.

V. The Holy Spirit Comforts. Jesus said in John 14:16-18 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. Comfort means to call near and encourage. Real encouragement can only be gained through truth and love. The Holy Spirit comforts us by reminding us of God's truth and God's love. God's truth and love are found when the Holy Spirit enlightens us through the Word of God. Jesus said in John 14:26 that the Holy Spirit would "bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." The Bible says in Job 14:1 Man that is born of a woman is of few days and full of trouble. If I will not allow God to comfort me through His truth and His love there is little chance that He can lead me. The comfort of the Holy Spirit is another basic way He works in us to lead us. How sad it is Christians refuse God's comfort in the Holy Spirit because they must have things their way. The last thing I would like to mention is something we must choose to do if God is to lead us.

VI. We Must Trust In God. Prov 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. "With all thine heart" means the inner man: the heart the mind and the understanding. The kind of trust most Christians have in God is a conditional trust. In their heart they will trust God if, they will trust God and, or they will trust God but. They will not simply trust God. Job said in Job 13:15 Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him. God's people as a whole in America have become ineffective because they have failed to trust in God. Notice the verses above from Proverbs 3, if we acknowledge God in all our ways He will direct our path. If we acknowledge Him in some of our ways it's not that He will not lead us, it's that He can not lead us because we are failing to trust Him. Acknowledging God in some of your ways is a conditional trust in Him. Acknowledging God in all your ways is unconditional trust in Him.

Conclusion. The key to the Holy Spirit being able to lead us is allowing Him to accomplish the basic things above and placing our complete trust in God. When the Holy Spirit confirms us, renews us, reproves us, teaches us, comforts us, and our trust in firmly in God, He is able to easily lead us. If we hinder the Holy Spirit in any of those areas we make it harder for Him to guide us. Being led by the Holy Spirit comes at a cost. For many Christians the cost of allowing the Holy Spirit to direct their life is to high.