PDA

View Full Version : Learning Hebrew, Greek, and maybe even Aramaic

JustinMT
Oct 29th 2014, 03:04 AM
Does anybody have any recommendations on how to get started learning any of the three languages used to write the original Scriptures of the Bible? How about free resources?

I've been using a website called hebrew4christians.com.

Are there Bibles written in the original languages with wide spacings so that you can translate the Bible yourself? This would be helpful to me.

spiritinaction
Oct 29th 2014, 04:58 AM
Does anybody have any recommendations on how to get started learning any of the three languages used to write the original Scriptures of the Bible? How about free resources?

Are there Bibles written in the original languages with wide spacings so that you can translate the Bible yourself? This would be helpful to me. I haven't tried to learn Hebrew but I have a site that helps me tremendously with questions about what a passage means. http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/

Because of the great passage of time that language was used, there are many changes that happened over the many years and Hebrew isn't just a language, it is a different way of thinking.

Walls
Oct 29th 2014, 12:51 PM

Are there Bibles written in the original languages with wide spacings so that you can translate the Bible yourself? This would be helpful to me.

It must be fantastic to be able to study the Bible in its original. But to do this one has to be absolutely familiar with the languages, or one will still have to revert to reference works anyway. Fortunately, the Lord has raised up both - those who are absolutely familiar with the Biblical languages AND very gifted men who were able to study them. So unless you feel gifted and have an enormous amount of time, the reference works of the best men ever in this discipline will still be your last resort.

keck553
Oct 29th 2014, 04:52 PM
Well first you need to read forwards (east to west - Hebrew) instead of backwards (west to east = Greek).

LandShark
Oct 29th 2014, 04:58 PM

With respect to spiritinaction and Jeff Benner whose site he recommended, I would avoid paleo-Hebrew. We have no >>time-period<< dictionaries or anything else that confirms many of the claims being made about the individual letters. The bible is based on Sephrardic Hebrew, and since the desire to learn Hebrew would be to read the texts, cut out the middle man, and make it more personal between you and God... then it makes sense to learn the Hebrew our bibles are based on. So, I would without question find THIS book (http://www.amazon.com/The-First-Hebrew-Primer-Beginners/dp/0939144158) used, and make it you mission in life to work through it. There is an audio accompaniment that goes with it that if you can afford it, is like being in a class with a teacher who has been teaching this 30 years. Also, I would learn the Hebrew over any other language, at least at first. If you have the ability to eventually learn them all, great. But master one and if only one, make it Hebrew. And if you want to know why, please send me a private message. I don't want to offend anyone with my reasoning. :)

spiritinaction
Oct 29th 2014, 07:33 PM
With respect to spiritinaction and Jeff Benner whose site he recommended, I would avoid paleo-Hebrew. We have no >>time-period<< dictionaries or anything else that confirms many of the claims being made about the individual letters. The bible is based on Sephrardic Hebrew, and since the desire to learn Hebrew would be to read the texts, cut out the middle man, and make it more personal between you and God... then it makes sense to learn the Hebrew our bibles are based on. So, I would without question find THIS book (http://www.amazon.com/The-First-Hebrew-Primer-Beginners/dp/0939144158) used, and make it you mission in life to work through it. There is an audio accompaniment that goes with it that if you can afford it, is like being in a class with a teacher who has been teaching this 30 years. Also, I would learn the Hebrew over any other language, at least at first. If you have the ability to eventually learn them all, great. But master one and if only one, make it Hebrew. And if you want to know why, please send me a private message. I don't want to offend anyone with my reasoning. :) What an interesting post! Of course, giving information is not offending!

But your information and mine is not the same at all. I have been following the people who study the information from the deep sea scrolls, and found all they turn up about the use of Hebrew and how it developed over the years very informative and opens up understanding of scriptures in a true and marvelous way. Many decide that this new information we have on what the old was like is probably sent to us from the Lord, and we are to listen. They don't question their documents as ones from another era, and remember the first information these scrolls gave about how well God kept scripture pure to help them with their assessment of documents other than scripture but having to do with history.

LandShark
Oct 29th 2014, 10:55 PM
What an interesting post! Of course, giving information is not offending!

But your information and mine is not the same at all. I have been following the people who study the information from the deep sea scrolls, and found all they turn up about the use of Hebrew and how it developed over the years very informative and opens up understanding of scriptures in a true and marvelous way. Many decide that this new information we have on what the old was like is probably sent to us from the Lord, and we are to listen. They don't question their documents as ones from another era, and remember the first information these scrolls gave about how well God kept scripture pure to help them with their assessment of documents other than scripture but having to do with history.

Even most of the DSS are in Sephardic, which I read by the way. Not patting myself on the back, just letting you know. I have no issue with Paleo Hebrew, the issue is if one knows no additional language and seeks to learn, you are looking at two distinct forms of the same language in looking at Sephardic and Paleo Hebrew. You can learn both at the same time but that would make it so that one has much longer to master either. So, you chose for now and because our bibles are based in the Massoretic texts, and because the person seeking to learn is desiring to draw closer to God by learning an additional language, it makes more sense to learn to read Sephardic which are what the Massoretic texts are in, so that you can pick up any Tanach in any Synagogue and begin reading and be able to relate to the others who are also using that form. Nobody learns Paleo as a first step, and like I said, there is still many questions related to the language itself. I don't desire to go into it here but you are welcome to PM me. Brakhot!

JustinMT
Oct 30th 2014, 02:36 AM
LandShark-

I haven't found a website that puts Sephardic Hebrew immediately next to paleo-Hebrew, so I'm not sure exactly what those are. However, I suspect that the Sephardic Hebrew is nearly identical to Ktav Ashurit, and that the pale-Hebrew is Ktav Ivri (this site shows the different styles for aleph: http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Grammar/Unit_One/Aleph-Bet/Aleph/aleph.html).

I am studying the manual print version of modern Hebrew because I can actually write those letters - is this not the best approach?

Thank you everyone for your help. I'll be looking into the resources you suggested.

JustinMT
Oct 30th 2014, 02:39 AM
Thanks spiritinaction. I noticed that website is in cahoots with the one I posted, so I'll surely look into it.