PDA

View Full Version : I don’t understand this verse When I read these verses

less than zero
Dec 26th 2014, 10:39 PM
Gal 5:12
12 As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!
NIV

I don’t understand this verse

When I read these verses

Luke 6:27-31

27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.

29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic.

30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back.

31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.
NIV

A Mere Child Of God Reaching Out To Touch The Hem Of Yeshua’s Garment

Scooby_Snacks
Dec 27th 2014, 02:45 AM
Hi less than zero...

I am certain others could probably answer this question better than me, and probably will...

There were people who were teaching in Galatia who believed Gentiles in Christ had to be physically circumcised in order to be accepted by God. It was a mixing of works of the law with Faith in Christ for justification.
Paul was using strong language to prove a point regarding just how he felt about anyone adding to he Gospel.
It was serious...and Paul in this regard, I see as saying he wishes they were cut off from causing anymore harm or stirring anyone else to doubt, although it wasn't like he wished them to die...just that The Gospel was being butchered.

When it comes to the truth of the Gospel Paul was using language for his listeners to understand just how passionate he was about the REAL truth and dismantling false teaching.

I am pretty certain Paul prayed for those he was at odds with, but he was also going to speak what The Holy Spirit had to say, reaffirming the truth, not having any part of the spiritual enemy within the false teachers working to deceive The Galatians.
Paul's language is strong, reinforcing his love of The Gospel and detesting what is false.

jayne
Dec 27th 2014, 02:58 AM
12 As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!

The book of Galatians is a very stern teaching from Paul that legalism is deadly and negates the blood of Christ. There were and still are lots of people who believe you must add things to Christ's redeeming blood in order to be saved: literal baptism, works, extra-biblical teachings such as the Book of Mormon, and more.

These people were teaching that one had to be circumcised in order to BE saved. Paul said in Galatians 2 that if ANYTHING in the law could save us that Jesus Christ died for nothing.

He says in chapter 5 that neither being circumcised or not being circumcised matters one whit. The topic of circumcision in regards to being saved is absolutely irrelevant.

He's very stern here. People are teaching a works-based, man-achieved salvation and that is a lie.

What Paul is saying in verse 12 is that (my paraphrasing) "If you think a little snip will make you saved or add to what Jesus Christ did on the cross then why don't you go ahead and cut off your entire genitals and see what THAT does for your spiritual life. If a little snip is good, then a big snip should be better."

He was being very sarcastic, but very to the point and deadly serious.

Slug1
Dec 27th 2014, 03:14 AM
The book of Galatians is a very stern teaching from Paul that legalism is deadly and negates the blood of Christ. There were and still are lots of people who believe you must add things to Christ's redeeming blood in order to be saved: literal baptism, works, extra-biblical teachings such as the Book of Mormon, and more.Men have to have short hair :P I just had to say it...

Carry on.

jayne
Dec 27th 2014, 03:17 AM
LOL................

SeekFirstTheKingdom
Dec 27th 2014, 04:13 AM
Paul said in Galatians 2 that if ANYTHING in the law could save us that Jesus Christ died for nothing.

Amen

Praise Jesus

less than zero
Dec 31st 2014, 04:03 AM
I understand what you are saying about Gal 5:12 .

What I don’t understand is the way it’s translated in the NIV Bible. See below.

From The NAS & TR

12 <START GREEK> &Ofelon <START GREEK>kai\ <START GREEK>a)poko/yontai <START GREEK>oi( <START GREEK>a)nastatou=nte$ <START GREEK>u(ma=$.
<END GREEK>TU <END GREEK>CCK <END GREEK>V3 PFMI <END GREEK>AMPN <END GREEK>V__PAPMPN <END GREEK>OP2_PA

I would even they were cut off which trouble you.
3785 2532 609 3588 387 5209
ófelon kaí apokópsontai hoi anastatoúntes humás

(Interlinear Transliterated Bible. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved. [For more detail see the full copyright page.])

I don’t understand how you get this from Strongs # 3785,2532,609,3588,387,5209 (ABOVE)

NIV

The subject is the law not emasculate themselves that’s vulgar at least to me it is

Gal 5:3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law.
NIV

The Greek word ófelon is used in the New Testment 4 times as would or I would not as I wish

All the interlinear say I would or would

1 COR 1 Cor 4:8
I would to God
Strongs # From Interlinear #3785 #1065
ófelón ge

2 Cor 11:1 ófelón =would

GAL5:12 ófelón=I would

REV3:15 ófelón= I would

And everytime #609 apokópsontai is used in the New Testament it’s not about emasculating themselves.

Mark 9:43-47
43 If your hand causes you to sin, (cut it off). It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out.

45 And if your foot causes you to sin, (cut it off). It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell.
NIV

John 18:10

10 Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant, (cutting off )his right ear. (The servant's name was Malchus.)
NIV

John 18:26

26 One of the high priest's servants, a relative of the man whose ear Peter had (cut off), challenged him, "Didn't I see you with him in the olive grove?"

Amasculate is removing genitalia, not the same as Cut Off because cut off is about cutting off other parts of the body as you can see in these verses.

S0 for me cutting off its just cutting off statutes & ordinances

And the Greek word for Trouble is Anastatoúntes #387= trouble ,turn upside down , uproar
Act 17:6

Act 21:38

And the Greek word #5209 humás =you

For me anyway THE NIV did not get this one right I know no Bible is perfect.

If you read the verses Gal 5:11-12 it goes with Col 2:13-15

Gal 5:11-12

11 And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the offence of the cross ceased.

12 I would they were even cut off which trouble you.
KJV

This scripture shows that Galatians 5 is about the statutes & ordinances being nailed to the cross and are man made. That’s what circumcision is representing. The whole Law made by man not the Ten Commandments
Col 2:13-15

13 When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins,

14 having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross.
15 And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.
NIV

A mere child of GOD reaching out to touch the hem of YESHUA’S garment

Bandit
Dec 31st 2014, 07:47 PM
Men have to have short hair :P I just had to say it...

Carry on.

Yea, and Samson wasn't a real man, he was one of those girly men. :P Back at you!