PDA

View Full Version : Is HE Simply Priceless? Luke 10:23&24

breadfirst
Jan 1st 2015, 08:50 AM
Please read Luke 10-23&24 (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+10%3A23-24&version=NASB) and 1 Peter 1 (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Peter+1&version=NASB) before reading the study.

As I was reading Luke 10 as part of my devotion I stopped at verses 23 & 24 to reflect on its depth and meaning. At that moment a thought struck me as to how over generations believers including those of the OT period valued Christ. To better understand their perspective I broke it down to three categories:

a) Those who sought Him before His birth
b) Those who sought Him while He was on earth
c) Those who sought and continue to seek Him after His ascension

Verse 24 depicts those who sought Him prior to his birth. It’s interesting to see that Jesus mentions eminent personalities such as kings and prophets who desired to see what the disciples saw. For kings and prophets to desire to know and search the coming Messiah highlights the value they must have given Him. In 1 Peter 1:10-12 we get a little more clarity in that the prophets searched with the greatest care to know the identity of Christ and the timing of His birth; however, what was revealed to them was that they were serving believers of today. This helps me a great deal with reconciling Old Testament prophecies with New Testament teachings. Their faithfulness to God despite opposition and rejection from the Israelites were written in their own respective books clearly to serve Christians today as we face similar circumstances in the spiritual realm. It’s not just their faithfulness but during their times of loneliness, despair, and struggles their actions/response shows they valued God and trusted in His words immensely.

Those who sought on Him while He was on earth are primarily His disciples (v.23) and others that were closely associated with Him. Seeking may not be appropriate term to describe the disciples’ attitude towards Jesus because He lived and moved with them so there was nothing to seek. Yet they needed an affirmation that He was the Messiah and sought the kingdom He preached as there was confusion in the timing of its advent. If we read the preceding chapter of our study (Luke 9) we see Peter making an affirmation that He is the Messiah. In Luke 18 the disciples declare they left everything to follow Him demonstrating how much they valued His kingdom. Both these statements indicate they found something they were seeking and after Christ’s ascension they do not seek anymore but rather live what they sought.

The last group includes believers like us who no longer require revelation of the Messiah because it has been clearly revealed to us (everything from His birth to death and its timing and location). Through Him comes the salvation the Old Testament prophets tried to understand that we can experience in our own lives which testifies of His very existence and that He is truly the Son of God and that He is God Himself.

With this great revelation verse 13 directs us to “prepare our minds” based on the promises of Christ that we find in the previous 12 verses. For example, do we believe that we are God’s elect, do we believe in the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit? What about the imperishable inheritance we have in God, is it true? Do we have a rock solid foundation in our spirit regarding these promises? Are all these promises just words that vanish instantly like vapor? On the contrary if we truly and consistently believe in these foundational truths then it’s easier to “prepare our minds” which can then help us do the things listed in the remainder part of the verse (13) that is to be sober, to put our trust in Christ fully, and to love another.

If kings and prophets desired to know about the Messiah then what’s the priority for Christians today. Are we really firm in our relationship about Jesus or is it only in December when there is an excitement in the air for getting and giving gifts, for all the rich food that is consumed from Thanksgiving until New Year, for the Christmas decorations that are all around us, and for all the family relationships that has been renewed? Or do we seek the much desired salvation that comes through Christ and the blessings that flow from it such as the wisdom to run a family, manage relationships, accept suffering in the midst of our Christian walk, overcome temptation, have a life of hope in the midst of trials, and so on throughout the year? I believe during our time of trials our evaluation of Christ truly surface and to some He will simply be priceless.

Let us pray and ask Jesus in our description to help us value Him, His sacrificial death, and the free gifts we receive through Him.

Diggindeeper
Jan 10th 2015, 05:36 AM
Breadfirst, this is a really needful study, and I highly recommend that all here do this study with you. Its a good reminder of who we are in Christ and what we are doing or how we are living, because you can be sure...HE already knows our heart better than we do.