PDA

View Full Version : Fortune cookie answers?

Old man
Mar 23rd 2015, 07:45 PM
Ok; here is a question that I assume after reading it you will probably say; “Ha! There you go; I knew he was a wackadoodle!” ;) :cool:

I’m just glad you can’t or won’t be able to stone me through the internet for bringing this up. :lol:

But …………

Has anyone ever thought that God has given you an answer to your prayer through a fortune cookie?

Through what ways or avenues do you think God can or will answer a prayer?

And through what ways will He not give an answer?

I am speaking in terms of receiving wisdom concerning a particular direction you are seeking the Lord about.

If the Mods consider this to be an inappropriate venue please move this thread to the proper location (Christian fellowship or contro. perhaps) for it (or delete it).

Aviyah
Mar 23rd 2015, 08:14 PM
I don't doubt God's willingness to use food. I hear Him most through circumstances, but recently I had prayed for about an hour-ish over some chronic issues, and I really wanted to get back on track with Him although this happens seemingly every week. Then maybe 5 minutes later I was in my car and when I turned on the radio the first thing I heard was the middle of the Arctic Monkeys song Do I Wanna Know. The verse goes, "I've been wondering if your heart's still open, and if so I wanna know what time it shuts." Ouch!

So I wouldn't discount any medium for God to speak through. But, I've never heard Him through fortune cookies, personally. ;)

ristenk
Mar 23rd 2015, 08:41 PM
I don't doubt God's willingness to use food. I hear Him most through circumstances, but recently I had prayed for about an hour-ish over some chronic issues, and I really wanted to get back on track with Him although this happens seemingly every week. Then maybe 5 minutes later I was in my car and when I turned on the radio the first thing I heard was the middle of the Arctic Monkeys song Do I Wanna Know. The verse goes, "I've been wondering if your heart's still open, and if so I wanna know what time it shuts." Ouch!

So I wouldn't discount any medium for God to speak through. But, I've never heard Him through fortune cookies, personally. ;)

Aviyah - does He communicate with you often? I feel like I'm doing something wrong... I've been trying to make prayers regular in the morning but my spirit must not be doing it right because I don't feel like I get that much "face-time" with the Lord answering back.. like He saves it for bigger things... maybe I'm not listening correctly... maybe when I get the bigger things He is shouting... I don't know..

Makes me feel like I've got to store up the big things to get a response back because I don't want to waste it on something small.

:(

Aviyah
Mar 23rd 2015, 09:38 PM
Aviyah - does He communicate with you often? I feel like I'm doing something wrong... I've been trying to make prayers regular in the morning but my spirit must not be doing it right because I don't feel like I get that much "face-time" with the Lord answering back.. like He saves it for bigger things... maybe I'm not listening correctly... maybe when I get the bigger things He is shouting... I don't know.. Makes me feel like I've got to store up the big things to get a response back because I don't want to waste it on something small. :(

I would say it is fairly regular for me, but it hasn't always been that way. I noticed the biggest change when I started to be honest with Him emotionally and spiritually. Something I see frequently in Scripture is something along the lines of Jer. 17:10, "I the LORD search the heart and test the mind." Pretty powerful since this is God Himself speaking. But what I've learned from this is that we cannot hide behind religious phrasing, politeness, and false respect in our prayers because it's our heart and mind that He listens to rather than our inner or outer mouths. If we are angry with God or doubtful or even unwilling to be obedient, it's crucial that we say so in our prayers, because we cannot hide these emotions like we can in conversations with each other. Here's the difference in how I prayed before and how I do now, just as an example:

"Dear Lord, help me understand this situation and help me to love my enemies - amen."
"Why aren't you saving me from this? I hate this person and I hate myself for being here. Show me what to do, please!"

Or,

"I'll do as you've asked and improve."
"We both know I'm going to fail, so why should I try?"

It's the second type of prayer that He listens to, and He's usually quick to respond (and it's also usually a response we don't like but we know is true). And oftentimes I believe He tells us to read His word, kind of like, "I've already told you what to do." But He also speaks to us individually through ways that might be unique to us. For me, it's through an interpretation of events that take place - for you, maybe some other way that will be unmistakeable.

The most important thing is that you are honest with yourself, the problem, and God. The "bow your head, close your eyes, amen" prayers might not be genuine (not saying they can't be, but it was just rarely the case for me). I see a similarity with this:

"What do you think? A man had two sons. And he went to the first and said, ‘Son, go and work in the vineyard today.’ And he answered, ‘I will not,’ but afterward he changed his mind and went. And he went to the other son and said the same. And he answered, ‘I go, sir,’ but did not go. Which of the two did the will of his father?" (Mt. 21:28-31)

I believe neither son intended to obey, but the honesty in saying, "I will not," invites communication between us and leads to repentance and obedience as opposed to saying "I go," when God knows full well that we will not. So He waits until we finally decide to speak with our heart to respond.

Old man
Mar 23rd 2015, 09:49 PM
… when I started to be honest with Him emotionally and spiritually. … But what I've learned from this is that we cannot hide behind religious phrasing, politeness, and false respect in our prayers because it's our heart and mind that He listens to rather than our inner or outer mouths. If we are angry with God or doubtful or even unwilling to be obedient, it's crucial that we say so in our prayers, because we cannot hide these emotions like we can in conversations with each other.

The most important thing is that you are honest with yourself, the problem, and God. The "bow your head, close your eyes, amen" prayers might not be genuine (not saying they can't be, but it was just rarely the case for me).

I agree very much with this Aviyah. His desire is that when we come to Him we be real and be honest. What you have described above is what I believe Jesus what getting at when He told the woman at the well. That the Father seeks those who will worship Him in spirit and in truth.

I think many misunderstand this or perhaps over complicates it.

Aviyah
Mar 23rd 2015, 09:59 PM
I agree very much with this Aviyah. His desire is that when we come to Him we be real and be honest. What you have described above is what I believe Jesus what getting at when He told the woman at the well. That the Father seeks those who will worship Him in spirit and in truth. I think many misunderstand this or perhaps over complicates it.

That's a good example too!

little watchman
Mar 24th 2015, 01:06 AM
If it is not too tangential to talk about the value of being real and honest before the Lord...

I feel torn between two schools of thought:
Those who dump all their junk before the Lord, because transparency is necessary for healthy relationships; and
those who choose not to acknowledge their negative feelings, because they are Satan's lies, and negative assessments of others could lead to accidentally cursing them.

I find myself more in the "transparency" camp because my faith is in God to help me, but those in the positive-thoughts-and-blessings camp may be correct in recognizing that we have power to bless and curse, that "mental certainty" faith can move mountains. I don't know if I'll ever command a mountain to move, but if I think it is God's will, I might ask Him to move it for me!

New Creature
Mar 24th 2015, 01:19 AM
Ok; here is a question that I assume after reading it you will probably say; “Ha! There you go; I knew he was a wackadoodle!” ;) :cool:

I’m just glad you can’t or won’t be able to stone me through the internet for bringing this up. :lol:

But …………

Has anyone ever thought that God has given you an answer to your prayer through a fortune cookie?

If the Mods consider this to be an inappropriate venue please move this thread to the proper location (Christian fellowship or contro. perhaps) for it (or delete it).

I’ll not be surprised, if I’m ordered to post to self and God or tarred, feathered and ridden off the forum on a rail after posting this, even though I’m not dogmatically advocating anything.

You could say that I’m impoverished, in that I’ve never seen a fortune cookie outside of a photo. Therefore, the only problem I have with fortune cookies is….you might need an interpreter if you can’t read Chinese or Japanese. If they come in a King James Version, who could object? Is there a market for KJV fortune cookies? “But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren;” try a KJV fortune cookie! Isn’t there a niche market for Proverbs in a fortune cookie? Song of Solomon would be a hit for the elderly! “Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth! For your love is better than wine;” I can just hear the grandmothers laughing…just like Sarah (Gen. 18:12) but the Abraham’s among them will have a fortune cookie saying, “stagger not” (Rom. 4:20). I see a massive market here for very liberal Song of Solomon translations – a virtual population explosion!

“Old man” makes millions in fortune cookie market. We could see your smiling face on the cover of all the financial magazines. Joel Osteen and Benny Hinn would be provoked to hideous jealousy – especially if you worked the End Time niche market! No fortune cookie consumer left behind! You could have amil, postmil and General Mills cookies, too.

You could have old earth, young earth, and new earth cookies.

Imagine getting a cookie that said, “You are predestined.” They would have to buy another cookie to determine their destination. Pentecostal cookies would tell the consumer what gift they had.

But the Ecclesiastes cookie wouldn’t work: “And I thought the dead who are already dead more fortunate than the living who are still alive.”

I think you are on to something with this fortune cookie theology idea.

(I hope Boo does not discover this post, lest I be chastised unmercifully again)

If you see this, Boo, I'm sure that Old man will have a fortune cookie just for you - one with a blank paper that cannot be misunderstood.

Old man
Mar 24th 2015, 02:14 AM
I’ll not be surprised, if I’m ordered to post to self and God or tarred, feathered and ridden off the forum on a rail after posting this, even though I’m not dogmatically advocating anything.

You could say that I’m impoverished, in that I’ve never seen a fortune cookie outside of a photo. Therefore, the only problem I have with fortune cookies is….you might need an interpreter if you can’t read Chinese or Japanese. If they come in a King James Version, who could object? Is there a market for KJV fortune cookies? “But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren;” try a KJV fortune cookie! Isn’t there a niche market for Proverbs in a fortune cookie? Song of Solomon would be a hit for the elderly! “Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth! For your love is better than wine;” I see a massive market here for very liberal Song of Solomon translations – a virtual population explosion!

“Old man” makes millions in fortune cookie market. We could see your smiling face on the cover of all the financial magazines. Joel Osteen and Benny Hinn would be provoked to hideous jealousy – especially if you worked the End Time niche market! No fortune cookie consumer left behind! You could have amil, postmil and General Mills cookies, too.

You could have old earth, young earth, and new earth cookies.

Imagine getting a cookie that said, “You are predestined.” They would have to buy another cookie to determine their destination. Pentecostal cookies would tell the consumer what gift they had.

But the Ecclesiastes cookie wouldn’t work: “And I thought the dead who are already dead more fortunate than the living who are still alive.”

I think you are on to something with this fortune cookie theology idea.

(I hope Boo does not discover this post, lest I be chastised unmercifully again)

If you see this, Boo, I'm sure that Old man will have a fortune cookie just for you - one with a blank paper that cannot be misunderstood.

I would have to have literal versions and non-literal versions (these are the one that you determine for yourself what it means).

Unfortunately I have not found the fortune cookie that says I will succeed at this. If anyone finds it I have a fortune cookie here that says you are supposed to send it to me. When you find it let me know and I'll tell you where to send it. I'll even pay for postage. But it can't be forged, counterfeit or photocopies.

ChangedByHim
Mar 24th 2015, 04:17 AM

But …………

I am speaking in terms of receiving wisdom concerning a particular direction you are seeking the Lord about.

We have Internet stoning methods! :)

Old man
Mar 24th 2015, 05:27 AM
We have Internet stoning methods! :)

:eek: Would it be beneficial for me to wear insulating rubber gloves while I type? Or are you not going to tell me? :pray:

New Creature
Mar 24th 2015, 08:36 PM

Take a short trip down memory lane, all the way back to Dec 25th 2014 in the Bible Study Forum: “Marching through Matthew - part 1,” post #33. A forum member from Bakersfield, California posted the following, in reference to Matthew 7:7-8, about asking, seeking and knocking:

“This is somewhat ambiguous because there is no indication in these two verses as to what is to be asked for, sought after or where one should be knocking. What is mentioned though is that everyone one; not just some who are doing the asking, seeking and knocking will get a response. This cannot be however a blanket “ask for anything and you’ll get it” type of prayer context especially in light of verses like:

1 John 5:14-15 ‘This is the confidence which we have before Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. (15) And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked from Him.’

Yet again the important thing here is that according to verses 7 & 8 this is not limited to a select few who can ask, seek and knock but ‘everyone’ who ask God, seeks God and knocks for access to God, will be responded to by God.”

Isn’t that the first step?

“I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God” - Romans 12:1, 2. If that’s the next step, then the final step is, “be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit” - Ephesians 5:18.

“Trust in the LORD with all thine heart” (Prov. 3:5a), by asking, seeking and knocking; “and lean not unto thine own understanding” (Prov. 3:5b), by “renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.” “In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths” (Prov. 3:6), by being “filled with the Spirit.”

Post Pentecost, the casting of lots was superseded by Ephesians 5:18. If the casting of lots was a perfectly good way to make decisions in specified circumstances, how much more capable is God’s Spirit and Word (2 Tim. 3:16, 17) of providing direction in every situation? “In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths;” how God does that is His sovereign prerogative. I acknowledge; He directs, period.

If folk want to cast lots (Acts 1:26), or use fleece (Judges 6:39), or have a dream (Acts 2:17), or seek a sign (1 Co. 14:22), that’s between them and God. But pulling the trick that Saul did, with familiar spirit at Endor (1Sam 28:7), is way beyond the pale. Even Saul “had put away those that had familiar spirits, and the wizards, out of the land” - 1 Samuel 28:3. But God had departed from Saul, “and answereth me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams” - 1 Samuel 28:15. “So Saul died for his transgression which he committed against the LORD, even against the word of the LORD, which he kept not, and also for asking counsel of one that had a familiar spirit, to enquire of it;” - 1 Chronicles 10:13. "For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft..." - 1 Samuel 15:23.

New Creature
Mar 25th 2015, 03:40 PM
I would have to have literal versions and non-literal versions (these are the one that you determine for yourself what it means).

Unfortunately I have not found the fortune cookie that says I will succeed at this. If anyone finds it I have a fortune cookie here that says you are supposed to send it to me. When you find it let me know and I'll tell you where to send it. I'll even pay for postage. But it can't be forged, counterfeit or photocopies.

How right you are; those non-literal version fortune cookies would have a little leaven that leavens the whole lump.

New Creature
Mar 28th 2015, 01:18 AM
It's the second type of prayer that He listens to, and He's usually quick to respond (and it's also usually a response we don't like but we know is true). And oftentimes I believe He tells us to read His word, kind of like, "I've already told you what to do." But He also speaks to us individually through ways that might be unique to us. For me, it's through an interpretation of events that take place - for you, maybe some other way that will be unmistakeable.

Your post reminded me of these verses: “If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you” - John 15:7. “Let what you heard from the beginning abide in you. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, then you too will abide in the Son and in the Father” – 1 John 2:24.

That’s vital to being controlled by the Spirit (Eph. 5:18). Believers in submission to God’s Spirit will receive wisdom (Jas. 1:6, 7) in response to their request, which will allow them to “understand what the will of the Lord is” – Ephesians 5:17. Therefore, I identify with your “interpretation of events” understanding and, like you, would not discount other unmistakable means God can use.