PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and worry

Nagunae
Jun 8th 2015, 02:38 AM
I'm going to post this very quickly. I've been meaning to do this, but have been hesitating because when I think of posting this, I've always got too little time to write this out in a way that I would be satisfied with. So here it goes, mistakes, rough writing and all. I'll be more careful to replies and with additional thoughts.

I love to worry. I think I always have. I've gotten much, much better about this since I began going to church again (about five years ago), but I do have my moments when worry rears its ugly head. It's strange because when I'm in great moods and I look back to when I do worry, it almost seems laughable.

The two Bible verses that keep me going are the following:

Philippians 4:6-7New International Version (NIV)

6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Matthew 6:33
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Regarding Matthew 6:33, the first time I heard someone speak of seeking first his kingdom as an antidote of sorts to worry and anxiety, it was like a light when off in my head (as if I had the epiphany myself). Of course, I thought!

Nagunae
Jun 8th 2015, 06:40 AM
By the way, in the sermon I heard in which I had my epiphany of sorts (I can't remember who it was- Andy Stanley?), the point was made a bit differently than I heard it before. Typically, the speaker or writer will tell you that you needn't worry about things because if you seek first the kingdom of God, then the things you require will be provided to you by Him. But this particular speaker spoke of it as almost an explicable removing of the psychological problem of worry and anxiety that afflicts so many of us.

What do all of you think? I am finding that this works for me. As my focus and energy increasingly shift toward God, I find my worry fading, almost inexplicably. My problems are still there. Like the rest of us, I could have plenty to worry about. But I don't (at least far less so than in previous years).