PDA

View Full Version : Rebuking anyone

Protective Angel
Jun 14th 2015, 07:49 PM
Sometimes we get in the heat of a discussion and our words get out of control. Maybe we go over the line, trying to get the point across at the expense of someone else's feelings. Let's look into how that is Biblically handled and how it changes our hearts.

1 Tim 5:17 The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching.
18 For Scripture says, “Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain,” and “The worker deserves his wages.”
19 Do not entertain an accusation against an elder unless it is brought by two or three witnesses.
20 But those elders who are sinning you are to reprove before everyone, so that the others may take warning.
21 I charge you, in the sight of God and Christ Jesus and the elect angels, to keep these instructions without partiality, and to do nothing out of favoritism.
22 Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, and do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure.
23 Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.
24 The sins of some are obvious, reaching the place of judgment ahead of them; the sins of others trail behind them.

25 In the same way, good deeds are obvious, and even those that are not obvious cannot remain hidden forever.

Prov 10:8 The wise in heart accept commands, but a chattering fool comes to ruin.
9 Whoever walks in integrity walks securely, but whoever takes crooked paths will be found out.

10 Whoever winks maliciously causes grief, and a chattering fool comes to ruin.

So when our light shines here in these threads, what kind or brightness of light, does your light give off? :)

Matt 5:16 "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

mailmandan
Jun 15th 2015, 11:05 AM
2 Timothy 4:2 - Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.

Slug1
Jun 15th 2015, 12:10 PM
Rebuking will hurt peoples feelings. The sad thing is, those doing the rebuking back off the need for correction and rebuking because a person's feelings are hurt.

Jesus rebuked those who were in need of correction all the time and He never backed down if feelings were hurt by the evidence of the offense.

Thin skin is bad, but a person who can't rebuke because they always back off when feelings are hurt, are worse. God can't work through a person who backs off when others feelings are hurt, when God is trying to bring correction into the life of a person who may be in error.

Emotion is the number one reason many Christians cannot put this scripture into action into the lives of those who are in error. Emotion is the number one reason why a person will not allow themselves to be rebuked. Just because a person may get defensive, or offended, or their feelings hurt, this scripture cannot be put into action:

James 5:19 Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, 20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul[f] from death and cover a multitude of sins.

When a person puts 2 Timothy 4:2 into action and begins to rebuke a persons error, actions, doublemindedness, etc, but stops putting James 5:19-20 into action when a person's feelings are hurt by what the Word of God is pointing out about thier conduct, or double-mindedness, or doctrine they are following... then who's work is being stopped?

God's!

The person's emotions and hurt feelings, their offense, their defensive stance AGAINST the rebuking they are receiving only accomplishes one thing... continued error.

Also, if a doctrine is in error and refuted and a person's emotions are hurt because the doctrine is being refuted... has nothing to do with rebuking the person. If a person gets offended because tenants of a doctrine are being questioned, or actually refuted and this hurts their feelings... we have evidence of a person's lack of maturity when they associate a refuted tenant of a doctrine on a personal level and their feelings are hurt.

Eyelog
Jun 15th 2015, 01:16 PM
Rebuking will hurt peoples feelings.

Hi, Slug. Just some thoughts on your points, with which I completely agree.

The term, reproof, or reproving another, is a shade less harsh than rebuke, and perhaps the best guide to follow, as we are to correct with gentleness and respect. However, some do need to be harshly corrected in some situations.

Slug1
Jun 16th 2015, 11:47 AM
Hi, Slug. Just some thoughts on your points, with which I completely agree.

The term, reproof, or reproving another, is a shade less harsh than rebuke, and perhaps the best guide to follow, as we are to correct with gentleness and respect. However, some do need to be harshly corrected in some situations.Hooah! The problem more and more is that the term(s) reproof/reproving can more likely be associated with being politically correct.

If a person reprooves another lovingly, with gentleness and respect with all desire to correct them, this is great. BUT... always a but, if the person is reproving another in gentleness under the intention to not upset that person, well... they are not going to be effective in correcting the other person because they will back off if the person gets upset when their problems/errors are pointed out.

Thus, any reproving is not effective.

keck553
Jun 16th 2015, 01:23 PM
I,don't mind being rebuked. It gives me space to grow

Slug1
Jun 16th 2015, 01:32 PM
I,don't mind being rebuked. It gives me space to growAMEN! I always look at it this way... what is causing me to be held back should be IDed by a rebuking.

It is my personal choice to be offended and thus, allow the problem to keep me held back, or take a rebuking for what it is... correction. To many people take a rebuking on a personal level and allow emotion to overtake them and thus, remain held back. Its as if they are defending the problem from the correction being offered and in that defense, the problem remains.

Christinme
Jun 16th 2015, 02:11 PM
And then there are people who have been rebuked many times ONLY later to realize the truth ... and STILL are pretty closed to future rebukes ...

I would think if you have been shown a few times to be in the "dark" YOU would be more open to possibly be there in the future ... HISTORY tends to REPEATS ITSELF ...

Protective Angel
Jun 17th 2015, 02:07 AM
Hooah! The problem more and more is that the term(s) reproof/reproving can more likely be associated with being politically correct.

If a person reprooves another lovingly, with gentleness and respect with all desire to correct them, this is great. BUT... always a but, if the person is reproving another in gentleness under the intention to not upset that person, well... they are not going to be effective in correcting the other person because they will back off if the person gets upset when their problems/errors are pointed out.

Thus, any reproving is not effective.

I didn't realize the topic was that complex. Thank you for sharing this. :)

Slug1
Jun 17th 2015, 03:10 AM
I didn't realize the topic was that complex. Thank you for sharing this. :)Hooah... when people GET real, this is how it really is.

People don't want to be real... and the easiest way to NOT be real is to get offended and others who aren't real, back off. This cycle goes in circles and no one grows and matures if all that happens is people getting offended and people backing off those who are offended.

Edit... I was doing homework and this post I did was on my mind and BAM a thought :lol:

So I was given a better word for "real", instead of real a better word is AUTHENTIC.

People don't want to be AUTHENTIC!

mailmandan
Jun 17th 2015, 12:13 PM
People don't want to be AUTHENTIC! Instead of being AUTHENTIC, people can easily get caught up in what I call, "THE BIG SHOW." When you rebuke someone today, they tend to quickly get offended and accuse you of judging them. People today are good at taking no responsibility for their wrong actions and when you call them out on it, they have no trouble turning it around on you and making themselves out to be the victim and you the bad guy. :rolleyes:

Slug1
Jun 17th 2015, 05:39 PM
Instead of being AUTHENTIC, people can easily get caught up in what I call, "THE BIG SHOW." When you rebuke someone today, they tend to quickly get offended and accuse you of judging them. People today are good at taking no responsibility for their wrong actions and when you call them out on it, they have no trouble turning it around on you and making themselves out to be the victim and you the bad guy. :rolleyes:True... cept, then there are those like me who in authenticity, don't back down. Which in turn causes MUCH offense.

But this does get the true colors of people to explode all over and we see who and what they really are.

ItsAllLinked
Jun 17th 2015, 06:04 PM
True... cept, then there are those like me who in authenticity, don't back down. Which in turn causes MUCH offense.

But this does get the true colors of people to explode all over and we see who and what they really are.

Yes but we already know who and what "they are" we're all the same sinners in need of salvation.. We are all weak in account of life.. We all need Him.

Some have been called and some haven't.

Notice in Christs ministry almost every time the Truth offended by saying the Word He in most cases dodged the situation entirely as to not create more conflict or needless conflict.

He says what needs to be said and moves on not continually staying around to allow the situation to arise further.

I'm much like you Slug when it comes the topic of discussion... I probably stick around a little too long lol.

Protective Angel
Jun 17th 2015, 06:24 PM
True... cept, then there are those like me who in authenticity, don't back down. Which in turn causes MUCH offense.

I can say that I've seen myself badly and grown from you Slug. :) That's a good thing. We have to realize "our own" mistakes. Sometimes it takes a good rebuking for us to see ourselves as "we shouldn't be". Then we can grow.

Slug1
Jun 17th 2015, 07:23 PM
I can say that I've seen myself badly and grown from you Slug. :) That's a good thing. We have to realize "our own" mistakes. Sometimes it takes a good rebuking for us to see ourselves as "we shouldn't be". Then we can grow.For me, discernment helps and thus I know when to remain unmoving on the Word of God. Then, when offense boils over and people explode, this reveals the "authentic" fruit within them. Authenticity can only be hidden for so long and if the fruit is bad, it don't matter HOW righteous one paints oneself... the true self will surface when one is offended long enough by how the Word of God is used to point out error.

Then, I thank God that the discernment was true and IDing a false person, even a wolf in sheeps clothing, is simple after that.

Proverbs 3:5-7
Jun 18th 2015, 06:39 PM
Rebuking will hurt peoples feelings. The sad thing is, those doing the rebuking back off the need for correction and rebuking because a person's feelings are hurt.

Jesus rebuked those who were in need of correction all the time and He never backed down if feelings were hurt by the evidence of the offense.

Thin skin is bad, but a person who can't rebuke because they always back off when feelings are hurt, are worse. God can't work through a person who backs off when others feelings are hurt, when God is trying to bring correction into the life of a person who may be in error.

:amen: Godly sorrow worketh repentance... God corrects those whom He loves; as a Father...
to turn away from error/sin & come back in line with God's Word/Will

Emotion is the number one reason many Christians cannot put this scripture into action into the lives of those who are in error. Emotion is the number one reason why a person will not allow themselves to be rebuked. Just because a person may get defensive, or offended, or their feelings hurt, this scripture cannot be put into action:

James 5:19 Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, 20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.

When a person puts 2 Timothy 4:2 into action and begins to rebuke a persons error, actions, doublemindedness, etc, but stops putting James 5:19-20 into action when a person's feelings are hurt by what the Word of God is pointing out about their conduct, or double-mindedness, or doctrine they are following... then who's work is being stopped?

God's!

The person's emotions and hurt feelings, their offense, their defensive stance AGAINST the rebuking they are receiving only accomplishes one thing... continued error.

Also, if a doctrine is in error and refuted and a person's emotions are hurt because the doctrine is being refuted... has nothing to do with rebuking the person. If a person gets offended because tenants of a doctrine are being questioned, or actually refuted and this hurts their feelings... we have evidence of a person's lack of maturity when they associate a refuted tenant of a doctrine on a personal level and their feelings are hurt.

:agree: that emotions often do play a huge role in how one responds to Godly rebuke/correction...
it's the carnal vices of pride, defiance or denial that prevent one from accepting the correction that is due them...
but it's the virtues of humility/meekness & honest soul searching; that allow one to acknowledge their faults & repent accordingly

Jun 18th 2015, 07:24 PM
Instead of being AUTHENTIC, people can easily get caught up in what I call, "THE BIG SHOW." When you rebuke someone today, they tend to quickly get offended and accuse you of judging them.

INDEED :yes: they are rather quick to automatically accuse that...
wonder why :hmm: they would even feel so "judged" in the first place?... perhaps being under Conviction? :hmm:

People today are good at taking no responsibility for their wrong actions and when you call them out on it, they have no trouble turning it around on you and making themselves out to be the victim and you the bad guy. :rolleyes:

yeah; I know what you mean... playing the blame game is a ridiculous (& conspicuous) means of denial :blushsad:
especially since God knows the whole truth of the matter anyway.... who's really guilty of what, you know?

always
Jun 18th 2015, 08:07 PM
Rebuking has to viewed as an act of love allowed from God, wether the rebuke is right or wrong, God will order the steps of the righteous, sometimes away from the rebuker that may have alternative motives, or closer to one who does come in love to make you stronger.

A peacemaker sometimes has to throw a spiritual grenade into a situation, to get it cleaned up

Jun 29th 2015, 03:31 AM
A peacemaker sometimes has to throw a spiritual grenade into a situation, to get it cleaned up

an interesting perspective :idea: