PDA

View Full Version : Where are the foundations of the earth fastened?

Protective Angel
Sep 10th 2015, 01:28 AM
Job 38:6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? (KJV - red letter edition - Sword study Bible)

A question asked to Job.

Do you have the answer? :hug:

God bless each and every one that gives this question some thought. :)

Reynolds357
Sep 10th 2015, 02:41 AM
Job 38:6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? (KJV - red letter edition - Sword study Bible)

A question asked to Job.

Do you have the answer? :hug:

God bless each and every one that gives this question some thought. :)

They are fastened in The Word. John 1

Noeb
Sep 10th 2015, 04:04 AM
They are fastened in The Word. John 1
That was my first thought. My second...

Heb 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

JFB Commentary
"framed — “fitly formed and consolidated”; including the creation of the single parts and the harmonious organization of the whole, and the continual providence which maintains the whole throughout all ages. As creation is the foundation and a specimen of the whole divine economy, so faith in creation is the foundation and a specimen of all faith [Bengel]."

matthewhenry
Sep 10th 2015, 04:15 AM
Is the writer of the book of Job not using poetic language? A metaphor?

The earth, as a spherical planet, doesn't have an actual foundation, like my house does. Rather, it is actually marvellously suspended in space by gravity etc.

Just a thought...

Theophilus
Sep 10th 2015, 12:49 PM
Colossians 1:15-17 (HCSB) says it this way:

15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

Protective Angel
Sep 10th 2015, 05:17 PM
Is the writer of the book of Job not using poetic language? A metaphor?

The earth, as a spherical planet, doesn't have an actual foundation, like my house does. Rather, it is actually marvellously suspended in space by gravity etc.

Just a thought...

Interesting as you mention the writer. The "red" words are God speaking.

Protective Angel
Sep 10th 2015, 11:21 PM
Very interesting answers. :)

Makes a person think. Just the awe of the question is amazing.

Protective Angel
Sep 11th 2015, 01:02 AM
Proverbs 8:29 When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth:
8:30 Then I was by him, [as] one brought up [with him]: and I was daily [his] delight, rejoicing always before him;
8:31 Rejoicing in the habitable part of his earth; and my delights [were] with the sons of men.

Who was with him?

Reynolds357
Sep 11th 2015, 01:42 AM
Proverbs 8:29 When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth:
8:30 Then I was by him, [as] one brought up [with him]: and I was daily [his] delight, rejoicing always before him;
8:31 Rejoicing in the habitable part of his earth; and my delights [were] with the sons of men.

Who was with him?
Wisdom...............

matthewhenry
Sep 11th 2015, 07:06 AM
The Son of God, personified as Wisdom

Protective Angel
Sep 12th 2015, 12:53 AM
Job 26:7
He spreads out the northern skies over empty space; he suspends the earth over nothing.