PDA

View Full Version : Are There More Gifts?

Aviyah
Sep 28th 2015, 02:07 AM
Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills. (1 Cor. 12:4-11)

Is this an exhaustive list of spiritual gifts, or is Paul just listing examples?

Diggindeeper
Sep 28th 2015, 03:56 AM
This is probably another topic, but to me, it all relates. You see, there are differing gifts, but there's also different 'offices' or positions that we are put into. Reading farther down, I must consider this as 'gifts'.

1 Corinthians 12:28-30
28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?

30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

Then there are other things that are not specific 'gifts', but I think we can find where we 'fit' here also.

Romans 12:1-21
1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

4 For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office:

5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;

7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;

8 Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.

9 Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;

11 Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;

12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;

13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.

14 Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.

15 Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.

16 Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.

17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.

18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

I think I likely fit into 'teacher' and

20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.

21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

My fitting, I believe, is 'teaching' and given to 'hospitality'.

slynx1947
Sep 28th 2015, 05:49 AM
Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills. (1 Cor. 12:4-11)

Is this an exhaustive list of spiritual gifts, or is Paul just listing examples?

I believe Paul is giving examples.

God has no limits; so I see no reason the number or kinds of His gifts should be limited.

However, I also believe that there are also counterfeits of all God's gifts, which is why we are told to test the spirits.
I also think we must be cautious. Just because a person is gifted with an "utterance of wisdom" or an "utterance of knowledge" at one time, does NOT necessarily mean they have that particular gift available to them at ALL times.

There have been occasions in my life when the Spirit has used me to impart an utterance of knowledge (gifted me with knowledge about a person or situation which it would be IMPOSSIBLE for me to humanly know and prompted me to speak), but I certainly do NOT have that gift ALL the time!

IMO, every Christian CAN be gifted with whatever the Holy Spirit deems appropriate for whatever situation may occur, whenever and however HE WILLS.

Protective Angel
Sep 28th 2015, 11:28 PM
Slug1 did a study on these. Hope he can chime in. Quite a long list.

I believe this is what Slug1 posted. "The gifts"

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php/260491-Gifts-that-Christians-are-given-for-being-members-of-the-Body

slightlypuzzled
Oct 2nd 2015, 06:33 AM
The 'gifts chapters' in 1Cor. are not the only place that Paul lists what God has given to build up the church. This is counsel to a church (Corinth) that had a lot of problems as witnessed by the whole body of the letter. Paul gives a second list in Ephesians 4 to show how Christ empowered the Church to grow from one based only in Jerusalem to finally become a body of Churches that stretched to Rome. In each case, God equipped the body with teachers so that His people would grow in the right way. In Romans 12 Paul gives a third list of gifts that God bestows on individual members to ensure that the body will grow and mature in the way that He wants them to grow. All three have their own context which needs to be addressed in order to see how the three 'lists' differ and yet are alike. It would seem that, all in all, the list in Romans 12 is more normative for what we see in Christianity as a whole over time.

ForHisglory
Oct 2nd 2015, 07:45 AM

Paul is just listing examples. The key is the reason for the gift:
To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.
So anything you are given by God, whether a "natural" gift or a "spiritual" gift, if it allows the Spirit to be made manifest for others good is part of this.