PDA

View Full Version : Achan's Honesty & Punishment

Uncle Bud
Dec 7th 2015, 06:39 PM
Why was Achan still put to death even after telling the truth about his sin? I always thought honesty about one's wrongdoing brought milder punishment. I was taught this as a kid. I was also told that "honesty is the best policy". Yet this did not seem to help Achan any.

Could there be something about this story I'm missing, such as lesser punishment in the afterlife rather than on earth?

Jumpstart
Dec 7th 2015, 06:44 PM
The story has nothing to say about the afterlife.

Achan was punished even after confessing because the culture of the time was retributive and severe.

little watchman
Dec 7th 2015, 07:00 PM
Not all criminals who confess are sorry for the harm they caused. Many of them are actually proud of what they were able to do and are itching to share their story.

Notice that Achan didn't volunteer a confession at first, but only when there were no other suspects. He switched strategies when it was expedient, but God would not be manipulated. I agree that a death sentence seems harsh, but it was clear to all that there would be severe consequences for disobedience.

jayne
Dec 7th 2015, 09:12 PM
Admitting to a sin or problem and confessing it doesn't take away the consequence. Confession is a good thing if only to reinforce to yourself and others why wrong-doing is wrong-doing. But consequences must be paid or chaos would reign.

Here's a link with the scripture in context and why God punished Achan so. Achan's Harsh Punishment (http://www.gotquestions.org/sin-of-Achan.html)

God had told the whole nation that if anyone kept anything from Jericho that it would bring destruction on the whole nation.

Aviyah
Dec 7th 2015, 09:38 PM
Keep in mind his sin lead to the deaths of 36 people.

So about three thousand men went up there from the people. And they fled before the men of Ai, and the men of Ai killed about thirty-six of their men and chased them before the gate as far as Shebarim and struck them at the descent.... The Lord said to Joshua, “Get up! Why have you fallen on your face? Israel has sinned; they have transgressed my covenant that I commanded them; they have taken some of the devoted things; they have stolen and lied and put them among their own belongings. Therefore the people of Israel cannot stand before their enemies. They turn their backs before their enemies, because they have become devoted for destruction. (Joshua 7:4-5, 10-12)