PDA

View Full Version : Matthew‬ *10:22‬, was Christ talking to us today?

LifeSong
Jan 10th 2016, 11:27 PM
For Christmas, my girlfriend and I each bought ourselves a new bible. We went with "The Life Application Bible" NIV version. We are using a reading plan I came up with (read one chapter from a gospel every day, one psalm and two chapters from Genesis-Revelations skipping the Psalms and Gospels since we read something from them every day). Today is the 10th day so we are on Mattew 10

“You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.”
**Matthew‬ *10:22‬ *NIV‬‬

this jumped out at me because people today are hated for preaching about Christ, sharing his messages and that of which his disciples (i.e. Paul) share. People call us bigots and all sorts of other hateful names, notntjatbi care what they say about me. I know he was speaking directly to his disciples, but knowing his words would be recorded by Mattew for all future generations was he indirectly to us as well when he said this knowing full well the backlash we would face in our present time?

I think absolutely he was.

CurtTN
Jan 10th 2016, 11:43 PM
For Christmas, my girlfriend and I each bought ourselves a new bible. We went with "The Life Application Bible" NIV version. We are using a reading plan I came up with (read one chapter from a gospel every day, one psalm and two chapters from Genesis-Revelations skipping the Psalms and Gospels since we read something from them every day). Today is the 10th day so we are on Mattew 10

“You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.”
**Matthew‬ *10:22‬ *NIV‬‬

this jumped out at me because people today are hated for preaching about Christ, sharing his messages and that of which his disciples (i.e. Paul) share. People call us bigots and all sorts of other hateful names, notntjatbi care what they say about me. I know he was speaking directly to his disciples, but knowing his words would be recorded by Mattew for all future generations was he indirectly to us as well when he said this knowing full well the backlash we would face in our present time?

I think absolutely he was.

IMO The true test for reading the Gospels is to be able to discern to whom Jesus is speaking. Remember He is fulfilling two roles; fulfilling all the Law and prophesy for the Jewish Messiah leading to His being the final blood sacrifice and second to prepare His followers to propel His church into the future. Generally speaking when He is speaking directly to the disciples (as in your quote) He is speaking to the church and when speaking to the other people and Jewish leaders He is speaking as a Jew to Jews. Not always true but generally.

LifeSong
Jan 10th 2016, 11:48 PM
IMO The true test for reading the Gospels is to be able to discern to whom Jesus is speaking. Remember He is fulfilling two roles; fulfilling all the Law and prophesy for the Jewish Messiah leading to His being the final blood sacrifice and second to prepare His followers to propel His church into the future. Generally speaking when He is speaking directly to the disciples (as in your quote) He is speaking to the church and when speaking to the other people and Jewish leaders He is speaking as a Jew to Jews. Not always true but generally.

So I was right.... I think lol. Not sure why that verse jumped out at me today as much as it did. I've known that one for a while. But today it seemed more prominent.

CurtTN
Jan 12th 2016, 12:40 AM
So I was right.... I think lol. Not sure why that verse jumped out at me today as much as it did. I've known that one for a while. But today it seemed more prominent.

That is the way the spirit works. As we are ready to move into deeper water, the Spirit will open our eyes to see something new that has been right in front of us the whole time. That happened to me the other day on a passage I bet I have read at least a hundred times.

Yes you were right IMO.

keck553
Jan 12th 2016, 12:47 AM
A lot of Christians are disliked because of their own self righteousness, but true Christians are disliked because of Christ's righteousness. It is entrely possible to discern the difference