PDA

View Full Version : Differences between Bible versions

StraySheep
Apr 25th 2016, 06:10 PM
What are the differences between different Bible versions (i.e. KJB and NASB) besides translation differences?

Tony P
Apr 25th 2016, 08:20 PM
What are the differences between different Bible versions (i.e. KJB and NASB) besides translation differences?

There are endless differences, technically. To begin with, there are several ancient manuscripts that have very slight differences. Such as the textus receptus, codex vaticanus, codex sinaticus, etc. Different translations use different ancient source. Add to that, the differences in individual Greek scholars opinions as to the best way to translate, and we get numerous Bible translations. Some people get all bent out of shape as to their favorite. Some even trash other versions. Personally, I don't see a problem with any of them. They all teach the same Jesus.

jayne
Apr 25th 2016, 08:56 PM

They are all merely translations. That means all will have:

people who call them their "pet" version
minor errors (but nothing to make the Word of God false)
language "common" to its day which get some people in an uproar and call it wrong

From the first time parts of the Bible were translated (the Old Testament way before Jesus was even born or the New Testament was even written) - to today = the purpose of translation has been to put the Bible into the language of the people so that the common person can read it and believe it.

I like the ESV, NASB, NKJV, KJV, Holman and NIV.

StraySheep
Apr 25th 2016, 09:45 PM
Ah, ok. I assumed there were other differences, thanks.

chad
Apr 25th 2016, 11:47 PM
Some are different based on the texts received.

Other differences. Some are word-for-word translations, others are Paraphrased.

keck553
Apr 26th 2016, 01:08 AM
No matter what version we choose, we need to remember this essential relationship:

"But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth." - John 16:13

For some, He may lead them to read several different versions.

John777
Apr 29th 2016, 01:27 AM
The big difference that always does not come up is: what are the translations based on?

For the most part it will be the Majority manuscripts or the Alexandrian manuscripts. Get a handle on that issue, and all the rest falls into place.

Without that, most will just argue over the differences between verses and ignore the big elephant standing in the room. Ask yourself which group of manuscripts are God's preserved word and which ones are not.

But you will have to dig for that.

blessings.