PDA

View Full Version : What Is Gained From Self-Sacrifice?

Aviyah
Jun 3rd 2016, 07:29 PM
What are some of the blessings, if any, that come with sacrificing yourself to live according to godliness (or "dying to the self" / "picking up your cross")?

breadfirst
Jun 3rd 2016, 09:19 PM
Aviyah,

I am not sure if there is any blessing for picking up the cross and denying yourself in the current life. The fact that we are all called to be His children is a great privilege in itself. Even after Christ's resurrection disciples rejoiced they were counted worthy to suffer for His name (Acts 5:40-41). Peter reminds us that we are a royal priesthood, a holy nation, etc. I am floored that the Lord would even consider me as part of Peter's description.

So in short there are no blessings in my opinion rather it's a privilege.

Pbminimum
Jun 3rd 2016, 09:41 PM
What are some of the blessings, if any, that come with sacrificing yourself to live according to godliness (or "dying to the self" / "picking up your cross")?

Believe that many of the blessings that come from selflessness are eternal in nature. While there are some we get on planet earth , the main benefit here is the joy of knowing we are in the Father's will through being selfless. Not a false sense of pride mind you, but joy.

BrotherBrandonE
Jun 3rd 2016, 09:43 PM
The Bride must fully resemble the Groom and He did not come on this Earth to satisfy His earthly, fleshly cravings. He came to serve and to die for us. He died for us and opened the gates of Heaven for all eternity - and now He ask of us to deny ourselves and follow Him. Is that so unreasonable?

For these light and momentary troubles, we are rewarded with an eternity of bliss. But He has not called us to come to Him alone. He wishes for us to bring others with us, and this is truly a labor calling for sacrifice and steadfastness. When people see our generosity in following His example, they are moved to come to Him; they see our motivation as Love for Him and our brother and that draws all men to Him. It was asked, "Master, which is the great commandment in the law?" and Jesus said unto him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

The abundant life is not meat and drink, but righteousness, peace - even in chaos, joy - even in suffering.

Yet our journey, my friend, is coming to a close. So we should do what we can for the hour will soon be upon us when we can do no more and we will regret what we didn't do. We need to look to the courage and strength of those who are suffering martyrdom right now and strengthen our feeble arms and failing knees. Rise up and shoulder your cross, much fruit is coming forth from its midst."

In short: (For example) - And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, "Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth." (Genesis 9:1) ... I ask you, what better way to be blessed than to walk in the blessing, meaning, doing what the blessing is?
1) Be fruitful ... Jesus says in John 15:1-10:
1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
5 I am the vine, ye [are] the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast [them] into the fire, and they are burned.
7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

[B]2) Multiply ... John 6:9-13:
9 There is a lad here, which hath five barley loaves, and two small fishes: but what are they among so many?
10 And Jesus said, Make the men sit down. Now there was much grass in the place. So the men sat down, in number about five thousand.
11 And Jesus took the loaves; and when he had given thanks, he distributed to the disciples, and the disciples to them that were set down; and likewise of the fishes as much as they would.
12 When they were filled, he said unto his disciples, Gather up the fragments that remain, that nothing be lost.
13 Therefore they gathered [them] together, and filled twelve baskets with the fragments of the five barley loaves, which remained over and above unto them that had eaten.

& Luke 8:5-8 (Interpretation is verse 10-15)
5 A sower went out to sow his seed: and as he sowed, some fell by the way side; and it was trodden down, and the fowls of the air devoured it.
6 And some fell upon a rock; and as soon as it was sprung up, it withered away, because it lacked moisture.
7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprang up with it, and choked it.
8 And other fell on good ground, and sprang up, and bare fruit an hundredfold. And when he had said these things, he cried, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

3) Replenish the earth ...
Matthew 28:18-20
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, "All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of end of the world. Amen.

Do we not reap what we sow? If we sow blessing, will we not reap it also?

Some more scripture:
For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; (2 Corinthians 4:17)

Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing. (Matthew 24:46)

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: (Matthew 25:34)

For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. (Romans 14:17)

"He who would save his life will lose it, but he who will lose his life for My sake will find it." (Matt 16:25)

You too, be patient and strengthen your hearts, because the Lord's coming is near. (James 5:8)

1 Corinthians 9:19-27
19 For though I be free from all [men], yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all [men], that I might by all means save some.
23 And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with [you].
24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they [do it] to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
27 But I keep under my body, and bring [it] into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

A lot of this was partially quoted from: http://search.stillsmallvoicetriage.org/message.php?id=546&langCode=en-US

CadyandZoe
Jun 3rd 2016, 10:00 PM

Eternal life is the most significant blessing given to those who pick up their own cross. Our "cross" might not be an actual cross, as it was for Jesus, but in like manner God will challenge the believer to make existential decisions in favor of the next life rather than this life; to chose between God and mammon; to first seek the kingdom of God; to seek the things above, and etc. It isn't as if money is bad, and all of God's blessings are good to seek. At the same time, however, the Lord may challenge us to evaluate the relative value of the blessings and choose life in the kingdom of God over all else.

For instance, Jesus tells several parables to illustrate this point. The following is one of these.

Matthew 13:44
“The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in the field, which a man found and hid again; and from joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.

This illustrates the fact that those who seek the kingdom of God must evaluate the relative value of the kingdom of God as compared to all that we own. In the story, the man was willing to sell all that he had in order to obtain the treasure buried in the field. Since the treasure in the field was more valuable than all the man's possessions, he gave up all of his possessions in order to gain that treasure. Likewise, we must be willing to give up all of our worldly possessions in order to gain the kingdom of God.

But the parable applies to all kinds of valuable things. Jesus wants us to evaluate our relationships, friendships, and family relations as compared to the kingdom of God and if needed, be willing to abandon friends and family in order to gain eternal life.

We may need to trade our job for the kingdom of God, if our job would otherwise keep us from our hope. We may need to leave our city in order to seek the kingdom of God. Whatever it is, we are evaluating the relative value of things in the world against a place in the next world and if necessary, giving up the things in this world if they would keep us from the next world. Using hyperbole, Jesus even suggested that we give up an eye or a hand if they would keep us out of the kingdom of God. Compared to other things in this world, an eye or a hand are among the most valuable things to have and yet, the kingdom of God is even more valuable than these.

Not everyone is giving up the same things; the choice is individual and personal. Jesus had to go to the cross. Someone else might need to sell all their possessions. While another person might need to abandon mother or father. Every situation is different, but what they all have in common is a test of our values and a challenge to evaluate the relative value of whatever we hold dear against the kingdom of God and the wise person will choose the kingdom.

chad
Jun 4th 2016, 12:33 AM
Imo, there are benefits from choosing not to live by the flesh, but instead to live lives lead by the Holy Spirit. The NT encourages us to choose to live a life lead by the spirit of God, rather than in the ways of the flesh as we did before hand.

The result of choosing to do this is : It allows Gods Holy spirit to work in us. A sign of the work of the holy spirit in our lives, is the fruit of the spirit (Gal 5:16-25), godly wisdom (James 3:13-18), renewing of the mind (Romans 12:1-2)and living lives pleasing to God, for this is an act of spiritual worship. We become living sacrifices (Romans 12:1-2) and live lives as Children of God (1 John 3:1-15) .

(Rom 8:10 NIV) But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness.

(Rom 8:11 NIV) And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.

(Rom 8:12 NIV) Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation--but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it.

(Rom 8:13 NIV) For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live,

(Rom 8:14 NIV) because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.

(Rom 8:15 NIV) For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father."

(Rom 8:16 NIV) The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children.

(Titus 2:11 NIV) For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men.

(Titus 2:12 NIV) It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age,

(Titus 2:13 NIV) while we wait for the blessed hope--the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ,

(Titus 2:14 NIV) who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.

(Titus 2:15 NIV) These, then, are the things you should teach. Encourage and rebuke with all authority. Do not let anyone despise you.

(1 Pet 4:1 NIV) Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin.

(1 Pet 4:2 NIV) As a result, he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God.

(1 Pet 4:3 NIV) For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do--living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry.

(1 Pet 4:4 NIV) They think it strange that you do not plunge with them into the same flood of dissipation, and they heap abuse on you.

(1 Pet 4:5 NIV) But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.

(1 Pet 4:6 NIV) For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to men in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.

(Rom 12:1 NIV) Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship.

(Rom 12:2 NIV) Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.

(1 John 3:1 NIV) How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.

(1 John 3:2 NIV) Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.

(1 John 3:3 NIV) Everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as he is pure.

(1 John 3:4 NIV) Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness.

(1 John 3:5 NIV) But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin.

(1 John 3:6 NIV) No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.

(1 John 3:7 NIV) Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. He who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous.

(1 John 3:8 NIV) He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work.

(1 John 3:9 NIV) No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God.

(Phil 2:12 NIV) Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed--not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence--continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,

(Phil 2:13 NIV) for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.

(Phil 2:14 NIV) Do everything without complaining or arguing,

(Phil 2:15 NIV) so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe

(Phil 2:16 NIV) as you hold out the word of life--in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing.

(1 John 5:2 NIV) This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands.

(1 John 5:3 NIV) This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome,

(1 John 5:4 NIV) for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.

(1 John 5:5 NIV) Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.

(1 John 5:6 NIV) This is the one who came by water and blood--Jesus Christ. He did not come by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth.

CurtTN
Jun 4th 2016, 01:24 AM
Without question it is relationship. Our Father wants to be close to us, wants the best for us and wants us to love Him in so many ways but He cannot abide sin and this world. We must be saved of course but we must also seek Him and deny our selves. When we make Him Lord over our lives and let Him lead guide and direct us, He will do all that is necessary to make us more lovable and "huggable" for Him. That means pruning us, teaching us, chastening us and knocking off our rough spots. Much of this is painful but we can take "joy" in the fact that the God of all creation is spending personal time with and on us. Don't have a negative view of God's work in us. Keep asking Him what He is teaching or what He is working on and keep seeking to KNOW Him.

I know this from experience and God is not finished with me yet. I still go through times of trial.

chad
Jun 4th 2016, 09:29 AM
(2 Pet 1:1 NIV) Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours:

(2 Pet 1:2 NIV) Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.

(2 Pet 1:3 NIV) His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.

(2 Pet 1:4 NIV) Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

(2 Pet 1:5 NIV) For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge;

(2 Pet 1:6 NIV) and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness;

(2 Pet 1:7 NIV) and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.

(2 Pet 1:8 NIV) For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

(2 Pet 1:9 NIV) But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins.

(2 Pet 1:10 NIV) Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall,

(2 Pet 1:11 NIV) and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

(2 Pet 1:12 NIV) So I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth you now have.

(2 Pet 1:13 NIV) I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body,

(2 Pet 1:14 NIV) because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me.

(2 Pet 1:15 NIV) And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things.

Eyelog
Jun 4th 2016, 12:07 PM
we must also seek Him and deny our selves.

Hi, CurTN. What does it mean to "deny our selves"?

Scooby_Snacks
Jun 4th 2016, 01:04 PM

I believe that the initial coming to faith and being Born Again IS the dying to self when a person is created NEW.
I do not believe anyone can undo being Born New.

So dying to self is not some thing that we do over and over.
It has already been done, mysteriously, however He knows how this has happened, that we have died and been buried and raised and eternally will be raised---

Sanctification is something that is a continuous activity of that New Birth, and the renewing of the mind is following the instruction of continuing to believe what He says about my position in Him--

(Christinme and Noeb and I had a very long discussion about this, and Christinme stated that perhaps we can "forget" that we are new creatures.)

I didn't agree at first but now believe that is quite possible, that deep within ourselves a matter of Faith or lack thereof in what He says regarding our New Birth.

To me, if I forget, not even knowing, I am not putting on what is New, what is the truth what is the righteousness of Christ, but instead making attempts to put on old clothes again that are DEAD.
I no longer work to be justified, but because I am justified I can do His works.

The Old Man is actually dead but I try to give him CPR.

I am dead to sin, and alive to Christ.

So your question for me changes to: What are the benefits of being Born Again?

Having the Mind of Christ.
Being Justified by faith in His Work not my own, and putting on His righteousness.

After 25 years of walking for the most part I say everyday-- I praise Him that His Mercies are new.
I am broken, and I need Him. Help me Lord to retain my faith in you, rather than relying on my own devises-- May I trust You.

Maybe I am far off here...but being obedient to me is trusting God and believing The Gospel.
Everything else stems from this Faith and Trust that He will help me persevere in as it is He who guides me to ask for His help, even in retaining my faith in Him.

Psalm 131 states:

O Lord, my heart is not lifted up;
my eyes are not raised too high;
I do not occupy myself with things
too great and too marvelous for me.

But I have calmed and quieted my soul,
like a weaned child with its mother;
like a weaned child is my soul within me.

O Israel, hope in the Lord
from this time forth and forevermore.

I have been proud and have often occupied myself with "things" (or the ways of God, my interpretation) that are too great and marvelous for me to understand.

I read this Psalm and remember that He has my life in His hands.
My job is to believe this and be like a weaned child...

From Charles Spurgeon on being a weaned child:

…for a weaned child thinks nothing of itself. It is but a little babe; whatever consciousness it has at all about the matter, it is not conscious of any strength or any wisdom, it is dependent entirely upon its mother’s care; and blessed is that man who is brought to lie very low in his own spirit before the Lord, resting on the bosom of infinite love.

I am posting this link to an article by Aimee Byrd, on This Psalm, and some of what Spurgeon has to say about being weaned I found encouraging.

http://www.alliancenet.org/mos/housewife-theologian/is-my-soul-like-a-weaned-child#.V1LPOr7jLQM

Aviyah
Jun 4th 2016, 05:59 PM
These are all great posts, thanks!

ForHisglory
Jun 5th 2016, 08:23 AM
Is it self-sacrifice?
If so do you mean crucifying the old self?
In which case the simple answer is, that we may walk according to the new nature more easily.

The old nature entangles us, but by dealing with the old, then we walk in the new without hindrance.
So the blessing is to live as He intended us to, in the new way.
This means a closer walk with Him, more intimate and deeper. We are transformed and renewed etc.

Glorious
Jun 5th 2016, 09:17 AM

God no longer requires any type of sacrifice (including self sacrifice), but a body prepared to do His will. God does the preparation!

Benefits for a body prepared to do His will are many, the ultimate of which is the fullness of God in love. This is the prosperity of God.

Benefits/prosperity include blessings (all things of/pertaining to life in His name), glory (all things in the economy of God formed in the peace of God that comes from the knowledge and understanding of God), and power (all things for help and preservation leading to the healing/deliverance of the entire body).

Willybob
Jun 11th 2016, 10:12 AM
Very edifying BrotherBrandonE........yes when Jesus spoke of that in context He was speaking of the cross of persecution...all that live godly in this world will suffer persecution for His names sake....

Frances
Jun 15th 2016, 07:16 AM
Knowing that I am doing God's Will for me is Blessing enough.

However, I must be sure my self sacrifice is not just for my personal 'feel good factor' instead of what God wants of me.