PDA

View Full Version : Ephesians 4:29

Nagunae
Oct 20th 2016, 03:02 AM
Ephesians 4:29 (KJV)
Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

Bill Johnson makes the point that we are in a cooperative relationship with God. When we bring an encouraging word ("don't be afraid of what will happen, God will help you," or "don't worry about your financial situation, you'll pull through this with God's help," etc.), God then brings divine favor ("grace" in the above verse is what God does). In other words, we do what we can do (edify others), and then God will step in and do what only He is able to do (bring divine favor). I like that.

What do all of you think?

Additional info:
I used the KJV since "grace" is in this translation, while this word is not found in the NIV, for example. When looking at the actual Greek, it seems "grace" is a necessary part (χάριν).
http://biblehub.com/interlinear/ephesians/4-29.htm
(http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbiblehub.com%2Finterlinear%2F ephesians%2F4-29.htm&h=wAQHpaKr_)
Here's the sermon where I heard this (it starts at around 21:30):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg9UN2Sn1uw

Scooby_Snacks
Oct 20th 2016, 03:06 AM
I cannot view the video, but I believe when I am lead to encourage others, I receive the same encouragement...I am reminded, myself. This is a benefit I can see...unlike the video my friend.

Nagunae
Oct 20th 2016, 03:32 AM
I cannot view the video, but I believe when I am lead to encourage others, I receive the same encouragement...I am reminded, myself. This is a benefit I can see...unlike the video my friend.

That's a good insight/sentiment. And the final comment made me laugh out loud!

I am interested in hearing what others think about Bill Johnson's take, though. I find it fascinating and inspiring and probably some other things which I can't think of right now.

Here's the link (again, 21:30 is where it starts):

Scooby_Snacks
Oct 20th 2016, 04:24 AM
That's a good insight/sentiment. And the final comment made me laugh out loud!

I am interested in hearing what others think about Bill Johnson's take, though. I find it fascinating and inspiring and probably some other things which I can't think of right now.

Here's the link (again, 21:30 is where it starts):

I was able to follow the link...

We are such sensitive beings. Just knowing another person hears our hurts and concerns (not just God, but God through others, by His Hands through them and The Holy Spirit--) Can lift, change the heart and allow for more grace, in abundance.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I tell someone (that is safe) I am hurting and even know and share the mistakes I have made, and they respond with a good word, or actual help, not only is His grace is more sufficient, I actually realize it. It brings me to praise Him, because He has heard me and sent someone to share Himself.

If a person is not a sociopath, then they can be pretty hard on themselves, spiritually speaking.
It is a difficult thing to traverse the life on this earth and not have real and difficult problems.
If there is any person who is relieved of any difficulty, I MUST wonder.

Grace relieves any worldy sorrow--- and allows the path opened to God.

Nagunae
Oct 21st 2016, 07:22 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but when I tell someone (that is safe) I am hurting and even know and share the mistakes I have made, and they respond with a good word, or actual help, not only is His grace is more sufficient, I actually realize it. It brings me to praise Him, because He has heard me and sent someone to share Himself.

I think this is a good point.

I'm completely intrigued by Bill Johnson's take on this verse. I'm surprised there's not more interest in this forum- not at all let down that "my thread" didn't get more attention or anything like that. Just genuinely surprised that the verse and the somewhat unique interpretation didn't hit others as hard as it hit me. Maybe it's something about my purpose that makes me moved by this particular verse and this particular interpretation. Maybe it's the Holy Spirit working in me.

Can't explain it. The thought that we can simply encourage another, and this will bring divine favor to that person just moves me in a way I can't really describe.

I guess I've always tried to encourage people around me. Just this last summer I got several people involved in triathlons. Yes, that's right, triathlons. Two guys in particular trained hard, lost much weight, pushed themselves harder than they ever did, and accomplished something they didn't think was possible even six months prior to their experience with the triathlon race. One is in his late forties, the other mid-fifties.

Now I need to figure out how to evangelize as effectively!

Scooby_Snacks
Oct 26th 2016, 01:04 AM
I think this is a good point.

I'm completely intrigued by Bill Johnson's take on this verse. I'm surprised there's not more interest in this forum- not at all let down that "my thread" didn't get more attention or anything like that. Just genuinely surprised that the verse and the somewhat unique interpretation didn't hit others as hard as it hit me. Maybe it's something about my purpose that makes me moved by this particular verse and this particular interpretation. Maybe it's the Holy Spirit working in me.

Can't explain it. The thought that we can simply encourage another, and this will bring divine favor to that person just moves me in a way I can't really describe.

I guess I've always tried to encourage people around me. Just this last summer I got several people involved in triathlons. Yes, that's right, triathlons. Two guys in particular trained hard, lost much weight, pushed themselves harder than they ever did, and accomplished something they didn't think was possible even six months prior to their experience with the triathlon race. One is in his late forties, the other mid-fifties.

Now I need to figure out how to evangelize as effectively!

I feel as though I understood what Bill was saying. Maybe not everyone can see the same connection.
It is a depth of understanding of the scriptures presented from his point of view, and it did resonate with me.

Nagunae
Oct 27th 2016, 01:14 AM
I feel as though I understood what Bill was saying. Maybe not everyone can see the same connection.
It is a depth of understanding of the scriptures presented from his point of view, and it did resonate with me.

I have mixed feelings about Bill Johnson. He uses no notes, and talks and talks. I tend to prefer compact, 30-minute sermons that make a single point or two and drive it home.

But then Bill Johnson has these million-dollar gems- insights that just blow your mind. So I listen to his sermons, but not continuously and constantly on the lookout for the gems.

Scooby_Snacks
Oct 27th 2016, 01:20 AM
I have mixed feelings about Bill Johnson. He uses no notes, and talks and talks. I tend to prefer compact, 30-minute sermons that make a single point or two and drive it home.

But then Bill Johnson has these million-dollar gems- insights that just blow your mind. So I listen to his sermons, but not continuously and constantly on the lookout for the gems.

I have heard of issues with Bill Johnson teachings that have come up. We cannot go there here, and I am not lead to anyway.
I have never spent much time listening or reading anything by him.
I decided to give this a go and like I said, it seems positive to me, no harm.

P.S. I understand that God does good within me when I get out of the way.
I would as a person like to fix everything if I could, but He doesn't give me that kind of power.
Ministry of The Holy Spirit is at His command, not mine. As an individual, I have many issues to work on it seems.
Kindness is a small thing that can mean a lot to the person who receives it.
If He sees fit to use me, that indeed is a blessing.