PDA

View Full Version : Where, in scripture, are we commanded to hear God?

Jonteel
Jan 15th 2017, 08:23 PM
Question 2. (second of 16) Where, in scripture, are we commanded to hear God? Yes, there is an answer to this question.
These questions are directed at the Christian scholarly community. So, if you're a scholar, or you know one, then have at it. Answers will, eventually, be provided. All questions, save one, will be answered on the same date. Until then, that date will remain secret. The clock is ticking, so hurry. Hopefully, before then, they'll be answered. Can you beat the clock? "Have a good 'un."
All will be answered save one. That one will stand as a challenge until it is answered.
As these questions will be presented to almost a half million people, I ask you to forgive me if I don't respond to every post from every person. If, and when a correct response is posted, I will, naturally, respond to that. Have fun.

chad
Jan 15th 2017, 09:03 PM
There are quite a few scriptures that write on it. I can give you a few verses from the OT to start of with, maybe others can add. I would however like to add, that it is a choice if people want to hear and obey what God says. Hearing and obeying brings blessings.

(Deu 4:10 KJV) Specially the day that thou stoodest before the LORD thy God in Horeb, when the LORD said unto me, Gather me the people together, and I will make them hear my words, that they may learn to fear me all the days that they shall live upon the earth, and that they may teach their children.

(Deu 4:11 KJV) And ye came near and stood under the mountain; and the mountain burned with fire unto the midst of heaven, with darkness, clouds, and thick darkness.

(Deu 4:12 KJV) And the LORD spake unto you out of the midst of the fire: ye heard the voice of the words, but saw no similitude; only ye heard a voice.

(Deu 4:13 KJV) And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone.

(Deu 4:14 KJV) And the LORD commanded me at that time to teach you statutes and judgments, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go over to possess it.

::

(Deu 4:36 KJV) Out of heaven he made thee to hear his voice, that he might instruct thee: and upon earth he showed thee his great fire; and thou heardest his words out of the midst of the fire.

::

(Deu 5:25 KJV) Now therefore why should we die? for this great fire will consume us: if we hear the voice of the LORD our God any more, then we shall die.

(Deu 5:26 KJV) For who is there of all flesh, that hath heard the voice of the living God speaking out of the midst of the fire, as we have, and lived?

(Deu 5:27 KJV) Go thou near, and hear all that the LORD our God shall say: and speak thou unto us all that the LORD our God shall speak unto thee; and we will hear it, and do it.

(Deu 5:28 KJV) And the LORD heard the voice of your words, when ye spake unto me; and the LORD said unto me, I have heard the voice of the words of this people, which they have spoken unto thee: they have well said all that they have spoken.

(Deu 5:29 KJV) O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!

Question 2. (second of 16) Where, in scripture, are we commanded to hear God? Yes, there is an answer to this question.
These questions are directed at the Christian scholarly community. So, if you're a scholar, or you know one, then have at it. Answers will, eventually, be provided. All questions, save one, will be answered on the same date. Until then, that date will remain secret. The clock is ticking, so hurry. Hopefully, before then, they'll be answered. Can you beat the clock? "Have a good 'un."
All will be answered save one. That one will stand as a challenge until it is answered.
As these questions will be presented to almost a half million people, I ask you to forgive me if I don't respond to every post from every person. If, and when a correct response is posted, I will, naturally, respond to that. Have fun.

Jonteel
Jan 15th 2017, 09:16 PM
Nice. This is a really tough one. Your scholarly approach is commendable and correct. Each verse points to the benefit of hearing. However, what I am looking for, the one place where the command exists is yet to be pointed out. I am motivated by those who see this as optional. I heard a man, a leader of a major denomination say that he had definitely heard God on four occasions. Assuming he was over fifty yeears old, that is about once in every ten years -on the average. This answer will surprise you.Please stay with me, and tell me if you are impressed.

bluesky22
Jan 16th 2017, 10:07 AM
Jonteel, welcome, :) however, all of these separate threads you have started could be better handled on one thread. Multiple threads like this tend to clog up the gears of message boards. In case you did not know, this is a classic tactic of forum disruption. Not saying that you are doing this, but that others do just this.

Please stay with me, and tell me if you are impressed.

Since you asked, the cloak and dagger stuff is also bit too much for me.:)

Jonteel
Jan 17th 2017, 06:34 AM
Blue. Sorry didnt know. Introverts tend to want to get this sort of thing over quickly. Lke diving into cold water, it's better over and done. My original plan was to post all 16 at once. Ouch.

I gave you guys a bit too much time, but I was not here to get this sooner.
You seem to be ready for the end, let's start.
Originally the NT was written in Greek. This made it readable to almost the whole Med area. They all read Greek it seems. Well, the word we now call sin was amartais in Greek. It means "to miss God's best." This is very different from about ten religions that define sin as "breaking god's law."

Wycliffe was desperate for a word to use for amartais. English had none. He looked to the sport of archery where they had a good word, sin. It meant to miss the bullseye or mark. It was a miss or sin. Wycliffe was happy. Everyone knew archery. It was a big deal back then. Fell free to goggle this.for verification.

Now, the early church soon recognized a problem inherent in the amartais definition. They saw it as big trouble. Here's where history gets interesting.

Well, perhaps I need to slow down. Too much too soon, eh?

"Do you see any problem with (arising from) the amartais definition?" I will be here probably around late afternoon. I expect no problems with that. See you then.

birdy
Jan 17th 2017, 11:34 AM
Where, in scripture, are we commanded to hear God? Yes, there is an answer to this question.

"Give ear, O my people, to my law: incline your ears to the words of my mouth. I will open my mouth in a parable..." (part of Psalm 78)

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:" (Deut 6:4)

"Hear therefore, O Israel, and observe to do it; that it may be well with thee, and that ye may increase mightily, as the LORD God of thy fathers hath promised thee, in the land that floweth with milk and honey."

are a few

birdy
Jan 18th 2017, 07:06 AM
Here's another one:

"And there was a cloud that overshadowed them: and a voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him."

chad
Jan 18th 2017, 11:44 PM
At the transfiguration, the voice of God ...

(Mat 17:5 KJV) While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.

Jesus said while preaching in the NT ....

(Mat 11:15 NIV) He who has ears, let him hear.

Athanasius
Jan 18th 2017, 11:46 PM

To be fair, there is an answer to every question ;)

Also, Genesis 2 is the first instance in reply to the question.

bluesky22
Jan 18th 2017, 11:57 PM
To be fair, there is an answer to every question ;)

Also, Genesis 2 is the first instance in reply to the question.

Good point Athanasius, is this the one your thinking of ?

Then the Lord God took the man and put him into the garden of Eden to cultivate it and keep it. 16 The Lord God commanded the man, saying, “From any tree of the garden you may eat freely; 17 but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not [n]eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die.”

ChangedByHim
Jan 19th 2017, 12:15 AM

What's up with all the quizzes??? What's the agenda in all this?

bluesky22
Jan 19th 2017, 03:16 AM
People threatened me, I was called a Heretic and ridiculed. People asked who sent me! People said that I was in it for money! There's no one that cares about you that they would pay someone to come and work here.

My friends warned me about Trolls. There were Trolls here 23 years ago, and when I departed I said that I wouldn't return. I would rather not deal with people like this.

God and I had an agreement. If I saw this was insanely distasteful, I would just leave for 23 years and try again later.

This did not occur on Christian forums, Bible forums or grace centered forums. But, I was threatened and told that they knew I was in your forums, so I expect that they will come here and Troll. So, perhaps God will be upset with me, but I'd just like to return to peace and quiet and let you play with your Trolls.

Brother. We are with you if you love Jesus and if you don't, we are still with you. Let's slow down and be still. No one here is threatening you. We are just concerned your posts are somewhat odd. But that's ok, I post odd stuff to. :) We are ready to hear to what you have to say. Just say it. No games. If you want to edify the body, we are all ears bro! :)

Athanasius
Jan 19th 2017, 10:07 AM
Good point Athanasius, is this the one your thinking of ?

Then the Lord God took the man and put him into the garden of Eden to cultivate it and keep it. 16 The Lord God commanded the man, saying, “From any tree of the garden you may eat freely; 17 but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not [n]eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die.”

Yes, exactly this.

From the minute that I returned to the forums, I was attacked, viciously, Well, I really didn't want to return, but God made me. About 23 years ago, I walked away from the forums. Let me repeat, I never wanted to return. God pushed. God said, "They don't even know the definition of sin!" I thought that God was wrong. God was right.

People threatened me, I was called a Heretic and ridiculed. People asked who sent me! People said that I was in it for money! There's no one that cares about you that they would pay someone to come and work here.

My friends warned me about Trolls. There were Trolls here 23 years ago, and when I departed I said that I wouldn't return. I would rather not deal with people like this.

God and I had an agreement. If I saw this was insanely distasteful, I would just leave for 23 years and try again later.

This did not occur on Christian forums, Bible forums or grace centered forums. But, I was threatened and told that they knew I was in your forums, so I expect that they will come here and Troll. So, perhaps God will be upset with me, but I'd just like to return to peace and quiet and let you play with your Trolls.

You accused a Pope of twisting the definition of sin, when the very definition in question came from 1 John 3.4, so what are you talking about? Go shake off your sandals somewhere that actually hasn't accepted you.