PDA

View Full Version : Differences between Majority text and Textus Receptus

mca3829
Feb 1st 2017, 01:29 AM
I'm having problems choosing between the two I know there is over 1800 differences but want to know which is more accurate? Are any of you advocates of either or Byzantine at all, please discuss.I have done my fair share of research but I want yalls opinion and pov, thanks.

little watchman
Feb 1st 2017, 04:30 AM
I'm sure someone else is better informed about these issues, and I hope they speak out. As for me, though I often use the Textus Receptus so as to not offend some of my conservative Baptist friends (and I rather enjoy the TR-based "VW-edition"), I have more confidence in the Majority Text (such as Robinson-Pierpont 2005.)

Years ago, if I remember correctly, one of my Baptist friends agreed with me that events from the Book or Revelation would happen soon, but we need not worry about going into captivity or being killed by the sword (Revelation 13:10) because, according to his Bible, those are the punishments for those who lead into captivity and kill with the sword. Of course my ESV said something else! And does it really make sense to call the saints to endure if they generally aren't the ones who lead into captivity or kill with the sword? What settled the issue for me was David Robert Palmer's new translation of Revelation in which he shows all the textual variations, and in the footnotes says, "The TR reading has no Greek manuscript support as it is worded." The Johannine Comma of 1 John 5:7 may be another innovation in the TR, but here I have to be careful since I haven't studied it to my satisfaction.

If you're interested in knowing the differences between the manuscripts, I think David Robert Palmer's ongoing translation is a great place to start. You'll have to swim in a little koine Greek, but the water's fine with all of his friendly footnotes. Take a look: http://www.bibletranslation.ws/tran.html

mca3829
Feb 1st 2017, 03:02 PM
Oh ok thanks for that link, I appreciate it. It seems that alot of these variants could be settled by early church father quotes right? I'm watching a video on Acts 8:37 and Iranius and Cyprian have quotes it, I would see that having some weight since its only a few 100 years within the original

Christinme
Feb 1st 2017, 03:35 PM
Quite frankly I've found little differences that make any kind of major difference ... well as far as I remember I haven't found any that make any major difference.