PDA

View Full Version : Eph 4:29-30

clarkthompson
Apr 25th 2017, 07:08 AM
Ephesians 4:29-30
KJV 29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. 30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
MKJV 29 Let not any filthy word go out of your mouth, but if any is good to building up in respect of need, that it may give grace to the ones hearing. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you are sealed until the day of redemption.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

29 The way we talk is very important, it should uplift the Lord. Those who hear our speech should know by how we talk that we are His and be moved to Him because of our speech. This is not saying we are to be all talk but saying we should watch our speech, if our speech is bad then we may need to check our heart, what comes out of the mouth shows what is in the heart.

30 We have Godís grace a Christians, we are saved and we should let the Holy Spirit change us rather then run from God causing us to grieve.

CadyandZoe
Apr 25th 2017, 11:47 AM
Ephesians 4:29-30
KJV 29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. 30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
MKJV 29 Let not any filthy word go out of your mouth, but if any is good to building up in respect of need, that it may give grace to the ones hearing. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you are sealed until the day of redemption.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

29 The way we talk is very important, it should uplift the Lord. Those who hear our speech should know by how we talk that we are His and be moved to Him because of our speech. This is not saying we are to be all talk but saying we should watch our speech, if our speech is bad then we may need to check our heart, what comes out of the mouth shows what is in the heart.

30 We have Godís grace a Christians, we are saved and we should let the Holy Spirit change us rather then run from God causing us to grieve.

Some have gotten the idea that this passage is warning against using curse words. Instead, Paul's focus is on communication that is "worthless" or "not helpful" or "destructive". The contrast is between communication that is not helpful or even destructive with communication that is edifying, encouraging, or gives a blessing to those who hear. Grieving the Holy Spirit, in this context then, is to work at cross purposes to his mission, which is to bring truth and light to the world.

justbyfaith
Apr 28th 2017, 07:29 AM
This passage might be included as an injunction against using curse words as curse words are "corrupt communication" but a clearer passage is in Colossians 3:8.

Colossians may indeed be the only book in the Bible that has a clear injunction against cussing; so whenever I hear a Christian cuss I make reference to Gulliver.

CadyandZoe
Apr 28th 2017, 02:44 PM
This passage might be included as an injunction against using curse words as curse words are "corrupt communication" but a clearer passage is in Colossians 3:8.

Colossians may indeed be the only book in the Bible that has a clear injunction against cussing; so whenever I hear a Christian cuss I make reference to Gulliver.

Ephesians 4:
29 Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.

The Greek word translated "unwholesome" here literally refers to something "rotten" such as a bad piece of fruit. The concept being conveyed is when food or fruit is unable to bring nourishment and this is being contrasted with a word or a message or a conversation that is edifying to those who hear. Let your words be like edible, nourishing food, rather than like rotten or spoiled food. If our goal is to speak the truth to each other, then let our wording be appropriate to our goal. Build each other up with your conversation rather than tearing each other down.

swordsearcher
Apr 28th 2017, 07:04 PM
Colossians 4:6 Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

Speech seasoned with grace will make conversations more palatable, just as a little salt does to food. Our speech should also preserve from corruption as does salt.