PDA

View Full Version : YOUR Favouite Scripture Verses...and Why...

bluesky22
Apr 29th 2017, 03:08 AM
I would love to see your favourites, interesting, rarely read, life changing portions of the Word.

Your reasons are welcomed but not necessary. Any book, any topic. :)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is one is special to me. When my wife and I got married in 1994, my best mans wife made us our invitations. Hand painted. She used this verse to make a wonderful "vine shaped heart" with this verse as the central message. I can't find one for a pic, post move, we are still digging out. None of us were Christians at the time. Funny how things work out....:rolleyes::)

Gen 2:24

For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.

bluesky22
Apr 29th 2017, 03:23 AM
Gen 6:14
"Make for yourself an ark of gopher wood; you shall make the ark with rooms, and shall cover it inside and out with pitch."

Sometimes I think the things God asks of us seem insurmountable.

They are not.

He will be with us every step of the way.

Directing our paths & showing us the way out.

If we listen, we can hear Him. :hug:

bluesky22
Apr 29th 2017, 04:57 AM
5And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their reward. 6But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not babble on like pagans, for they think that by their many words they will be heard.…
Matt 6:6

This verse hit me like ton of bricks. As one who grew up Catholic, reading this made so much sense to me. Rather than machine gunning "Our Father's" and "Hail Mary's " [ which I did many ] this simple verse distilled the Truth for me.

boangry
Apr 29th 2017, 08:06 AM
My favourite verse lately, has become Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Genesis to revelation seems to extrapolate out this great truth, From Adam being a picture of the second Adam(Christ in the flesh) being put into a deep sleep(Christ going to the cross and dying) the woman being made from His rib, The church coming from the wound in his side where the blood and the water flowed down, Ties in with joining and becoming one flesh :-)

To the God, who became lower than the angels who made himself subject to this world of sin, to become a servant to everyone, to be humiliated, despised by the world, to become one of us that we may become one with Him, then In revelation no longer the Servant but the victorious king with all Glory and honor and praise that we may partake with Him.

This one verse seems to summarise the bible message and magnifies to me the cost God was willing to make for us, the price he was willing to make for us, and our own unworthiness yet he did it all for us anyway.

What a God what a saviour :pp

Brother Mark
Apr 29th 2017, 12:38 PM
1 John 3:20 in whatever our heart condemns us; for God is greater than our heart, and knows all things. NASB

It brings me great comfort to know that God is greater than my heart and can change my heart.

Nobody93
Apr 29th 2017, 04:46 PM
Phillipians 4:13 reminds me that anything I do in life god will always be by my side no matter what. I should never be afraid.

Revelation 4:11 reminds me that god is the only one that deserves all the praise because he created all things.

Aviyah
Apr 29th 2017, 09:01 PM
The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. - Ecc. 12:13, Good verse for when I'm overwhelmed by life. Ecclesiastes in general is helpful while being stressed.

Then I will go to the king, though it is against the law, and if I perish, I perish. - Esther 4:16, A pretty amazing character trait; doing what's right without knowing if it even counts for anything.

Then he sent his brothers away, and as they departed, he said to them, “Do not quarrel on the way.” - Gen. 45:24, Probably the most "pointless" quote in the whole Bible because it is purely conversational and adds nothing except to show that these are real people. Just a bizarre verse that I can never forget after reading it because of how irrelevant it is.

Scooby_Snacks
Apr 30th 2017, 02:36 AM
My favorite verse is Hebrews 11:1-- That does not mean I live there; perhaps I always wish or hope to.

First, there is the human element of living upon this earth, yet being Born of God, and suffering:

Psalm 55:5-6 (One thought, two verses)

And I say, “Oh, that I had wings like a dove! I would fly away and be at rest; yes, I would wander far away; I would lodge in the wilderness; Selah

Then there is the Hope that He gives through His Word while we live here-- we are far from home...longing and enduring, sometimes-- Knowing there is His purpose.

Isaiah 40:31
but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.

I have seen this happen in my life-- strength coming from nothing within me-- It is divine intervention. ;)

(Today, a large bird (eagle/hawk) flew from my backyard somewhere behind me and clung to the trunk in a tree next to my driveway as I sat on my porch. I have never seen a large bird do anything but land or perch on a limb--it seemed awkward. Then it flew off across the street. I have binoculars because I like to watch the birds in the trees around my house, but did not have them at this time. These creatures are very special to see up close, and was blessed by the interlude, and other things lead me to post these scriptures...mostly because God is good and knows when I am sinking beyond my capacity)

swordsearcher
Apr 30th 2017, 03:23 AM
Romans 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord...

I'm amazed that the Lord Jesus loves me as I am.

"I traded for riches the rags of my soul.
I gave Him the pieces and He made me whole.
I brought to Him nothing and He gave me everything.
He found a beggar and I found a King!"

Blessed be the name of the Lord Jesus!

chad
Apr 30th 2017, 08:14 AM
I like the verses where I get a personal revelation from it ... just reading the bible then something will just 'jump out' in terms of understanding and you think Wow - i really learned something valuable today.

The problem is that there are so many, that I just don't have 1 or a set of favorite verse(s).

Brother Mark
Apr 30th 2017, 11:26 AM
I like the verses where I get a personal revelation from it ... just reading the bible then something will just 'jump out' in terms of understanding and you think Wow - i really learned something valuable today.

The problem is that there are so many, that I just don't have 1 or a set of favorite verse(s).

Then give us one where something jumped out at you and tell us what is was... :)

chad
May 1st 2017, 05:50 AM
Read my bible studies that I share in the Bible Study forum.

Then give us one where something jumped out at you and tell us what is was... :)

teddyv
May 1st 2017, 02:59 PM
Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.

The Sovereign Lord is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to tread on the heights.
Habakkuk 3:17-19

Just a simple, but powerful statement of faith.

bluesky22
May 2nd 2017, 01:29 AM
I think as Christians, [ lovers of the one True God ] we need to heed the same warnings that our predecessors received. I think the woes we [ in part the west ] are reaping, is what we have sown.

My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

grams
May 2nd 2017, 12:46 PM
Eph. 2:

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast.

To me this is the quickest way to tell people how they can be sure they are saved .........!

BadDog
May 2nd 2017, 05:00 PM
The following is in the RSV... it's similar to the ESV. Sorry, but I cannot choose just one:

Isaiah 57:15 For thus says the high and lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy:
"I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with him who is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite.

His name is "Holy." He is holy. He "inhabits eternity." (So cool!) He dwells in the high and holy place, of course... but also with those who are contrite and humble. Wow! You want to get close to God? Cannot do so with pride. Ugh!

I also like the following verses from Isaiah as well, which reminds me that He is God. I am not. He doesn't act or think like I do (again, in the RSV):

Isaiah 55:7-8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, says the LORD. 9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

One more OT, again in the RSV (which is how I memorized it). It is Joseph sharing his understanding of the extremely rough things he went through after his brothers sold him into slavery. He continued to trust God and because of that did not hold it against his brothers:

Genesis 50:20 As for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today.

The following verses, from Genesis 45, show that Joseph saw God's hand and His sovereignty in what happened to him, and did not blame his brothers. Look at the underlined, bold part:

Genesis 45:5-8 And now do not be distressed, or angry with yourselves, because you sold me here; for God sent me before you to preserve life. 6 For the famine has been in the land these two years; and there are yet five years in which there will be neither plowing nor harvest. 7 And God sent me before you to preserve for you a remnant on earth, and to keep alive for you many survivors. 8 So it was not you who sent me here, but God; and He has made me a father to Pharaoh, and lord of all his house and ruler over all the land of Egypt.

Now, to the NT. The following verse is great in the NIV:

1 Peter 4:9-10 Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. 11 If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

IMO it was better before the 2010 revision, which said, "faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms." We don't talk of stewards or of being stewards today so much. Why change it? I think it was more clear before the change, and both are accurate.

I love the following in, of all things, the LB (Living Bible - a paraphrase). I think you have to go to Bible Gateway to find it online:

1 John 4:19 We need have no fear of someone who loves us perfectly; his perfect love for us eliminates all dread of what he might do to us. If we are afraid, it is for fear of what he might do to us and shows that we are not fully convinced that he really loves us.

Doesn't that really hit home? Do we really believe that God loves us? It's a paraphrase, but great.

BTW, I was really impressed with some of the scriptures shared here. Let me say that the Navigators motivated me to memorize scripture. It's a very powerful discipline to invest our time doing. The purpose is to get closer to the Lord, and gain victory over sin, which plagues us daily. So if you are impacted by some scripture that you shared with us, yet you may not have ever memorized it... why not do so?

BD

Tony P
May 5th 2017, 06:09 PM
Acts 10:1 There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius....3 About the ninth hour of the day he saw clearly in a vision an angel of God coming in and saying to him, “Cornelius,... “Your prayers and your alms have come up for a memorial before God....34 Then Peter opened his mouth and said: “In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality....44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word. 45 And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also.

The first Gentile to receive the Holy Spirit and the gospel of Jesus Christ. Billions followed, but Cornelius will always be the very first. He is my favorite human person in all of scripture. The gospel spread to the Gentiles and the world has never been the same since. This was a very big deal!

swordsearcher
May 6th 2017, 02:03 AM
I'll share one again.

1 Corinthians 8:2 And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.

This scripture popped out to me today while studying. Even though I understand certain things in God's Word to an extent, I still have a considerable way to go before understanding them fully. This keeps me humble and less judgemental towards others.

bluesky22
May 7th 2017, 01:18 AM
I'll share one again.

1 Corinthians 8:2 And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.

This scripture popped out to me today while studying. Even though I understand certain things in God's Word to an extent, I still have a considerable way to go before understanding them fully. This keeps me humble and less judgemental towards others.

A hearty Amen to that brother.

kyCyd
May 8th 2017, 08:00 PM
John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

I was given this scripture at my baptism, and as I have stayed in the gospels I am always excited as to how the words of Jesus will come to me.