PDA

View Full Version : The 10 commandments are convicting me. What do I do?

Joshua1
May 31st 2017, 12:21 AM
So I understand the old law has been fulfilled, but I see that many of the commandments are still existent in the new law of Jesus. Like not coveting. I read Exodus 20:17 in particular and my eyes struggled to reach the word "covet" because I didn't want to admit that there was covetousness in me. As soon as my eyes landed on the word, I knew I was a coveter. My heart was convicted. Even now, I think I'm breaking the very first commandment-- I'm focusing on myself to the point of self-worship. I really want to fear the LORD and get a lot of knowledge and wisdom, and I know this sounds like an excuse, but I feel like I don't know how to fear the LORD, or what that really means. I don't feel much reverence for God. I want to get to the point where I tremble at his presence, but I can't really see God in prayer. I just see myself. The main way I've tried to fear the LORD, maybe some of you can relate, is by forcing my mind, like, pushing it, to fear the LORD. This tires me out and strains my mind. And it doesn't do much good in the end anyway. I don't gain much fear of the LORD. I'm just asking how someone is supposed to fear the LORD and whether God is actually listening to my prayers because maybe I'm wicked and I don't even realize it. I don't know. Please help. Thank you.

-Josh

kyCyd
May 31st 2017, 10:58 AM
So I understand the old law has been fulfilled, but I see that many of the commandments are still existent in the new law of Jesus. Like not coveting. I read Exodus 20:17 in particular and my eyes struggled to reach the word "covet" because I didn't want to admit that there was covetousness in me. As soon as my eyes landed on the word, I knew I was a coveter. My heart was convicted. Even now, I think I'm breaking the very first commandment-- I'm focusing on myself to the point of self-worship. I really want to fear the LORD and get a lot of knowledge and wisdom, and I know this sounds like an excuse, but I feel like I don't know how to fear the LORD, or what that really means. I don't feel much reverence for God. I want to get to the point where I tremble at his presence, but I can't really see God in prayer. I just see myself. The main way I've tried to fear the LORD, maybe some of you can relate, is by forcing my mind, like, pushing it, to fear the LORD. This tires me out and strains my mind. And it doesn't do much good in the end anyway. I don't gain much fear of the LORD. I'm just asking how someone is supposed to fear the LORD and whether God is actually listening to my prayers because maybe I'm wicked and I don't even realize it. I don't know. Please help. Thank you.

-Josh

Being convicted we are to repent, that is why we need salvation.
Being worried about it and wondering if your prayers are heard, is a fear of the Lord.
Being wicked or as the Lord states it, we all are evil:
Genesis 8:21 And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

Jesus even said calling man evil:
Matthew 7:11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him.

I would pray asking for knowledge and wisdom. Do a bible search for “fear knowledge” reading those may help.

Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
Proverbs 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

You seem on the right path to me, don't loose heart, and continue to seek the Lord.

Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

Jude
Jun 3rd 2017, 12:37 AM

-Josh

This is a yes or no question Joshua.. Do you know Jesus?

Jude

Joshua1
Jun 4th 2017, 12:51 AM
I know Jesus, but that doesn't necessarily mean I can't keep the commandments.

Aristarkos
Jun 4th 2017, 06:05 AM

-Josh

There is no old or new law, there's the old and new covenant. The Lord Himself said:

Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

The old covenant consists of the promise of the people of Israel to keep the law on their own, Exodus 19:8 and repeated by them in Exodus 24:3. This placed them under the curse of the law and they brook the old covenant almost instantly Exodus 32:4. That's why it's written:

Rom 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

The new covenant (already mentioned in Jeremiah 31:33) consists of the Lord's promise to make them (Israel, not gentiles) keep the law by circumcision of the heart:

Deu 30:6 And the LORD thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live.

The ten commandments were given to the nation (people) of Israel, not to the gentiles. God never asked of the gentiles to live by His law (or commandments), nor made a covenant about it with gentiles. Nobody can live by the law now (or try too) because part of the law is sacrificing and there is no temple. Circumcision is part of the law as well Lev. 12:3, but this puts one under the curse of the law. During the Acts the Jews wanted the gentiles to be circumcised and Paul rejected that firmly 1 Co. 7:18; Gal. 2:3. He even says:

Gal 5:2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.

What you are experiencing proves that the law is just:

Rom 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

The only one who fulfilled the law was Christ Jesus our Lord, we shouldn't even try and certainly not parts of it we pick ourselves. If you want to live by the law you have to do the whole law, but that will make you fall from grace Gal. 5:4.

Aristarkos

grams
Jun 5th 2017, 02:32 PM
May be this can help you ? I sure pray it will............

Just put in your mind and think on this ~ Why did Christ go to the Cross ? Did HE not suffer a very lot of pain for us ?

That we could never do !!!!!! The first nail was just over powered for pain, !!! And what did JESUS take for us before the

Cross ? How much suffering did HE do for us, that HE did not have to ? Jesus did so much for me that I want to do the best I can.

But of course as it say's in the bible we are all sinners................. But we can keep trying to do our best ! CANT WE ?????????????? ??? ?

Jude
Jun 5th 2017, 02:36 PM
I know Jesus, but that doesn't necessarily mean I can't keep the commandments.

James 2:8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:

9 But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.

10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

Jude

keck553
Jun 5th 2017, 05:05 PM
He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.

justbyfaith
Jun 7th 2017, 12:52 PM
Aristarkos...

So the New Covenant is only to Israel, and not to the Gentiles?

Are you advocating that I throw away my New Testament if I am a Gentile?

Personaly I believe that the Lord can write the law on your heart whether you are Jew or Gentile, in the New Covenant.

justbyfaith
Jun 7th 2017, 01:02 PM
In my notes in my Bible on Galatians 5:4 I have the following note:

the spiritually-minded person is subject in their minds to the law of God (Romans 8:7), but they are not justified by this.

Read Galatians 5:4 in light of that note:

Christ is become of no effect to you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Also I have in my notes the references of Romans 3:31, Matthew 5:17-20, and Romans 2:13.

I have the following note in my Bible concerning Romans 2:13:

We are justified by Christ which results in our obeying the law, which is the proof of our justification by Christ (before men) through faith and grace.

Because Romans 2:13 says,

(For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

Which would appear to be in contradiction to Galatians 5:4 unless you take into account my notes.

It's all here in this post for you to study it out. Selah.

Finally, my notes tell me that in conclusion we ought to never forget 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 no matter how well we are keeping the law. We are justified and saved through faith in what Christ did for us on the Cross, no amount of our obedience can ever replace this.

Therefore we obey out of love for the Lord and so that we may have a good (and unafflicted) conscience: not to obtain salvation.

justbyfaith
Jun 7th 2017, 01:14 PM
deleted by original poster.

Reason: repeat of last post.