PDA

View Full Version : Confused

Holy_Land
Aug 20th 2017, 06:22 PM
A cousin of mine, age 52, died this past week. He had a lung condition from working in a coal mine his whole life.

However, he was getting baptized and some water Had got into his lungs and it killed him.

I don't understand why God would allow this to happen. It feels like a slap in the face

Holy_Land
Aug 20th 2017, 07:35 PM
Is there anything in the Bible that might comfort me and our family about this?

CadyandZoe
Aug 20th 2017, 09:44 PM
Is there anything in the Bible that might comfort me and our family about this?

1Thessalonians 4:
13 But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus. 15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.

Joshua1
Aug 20th 2017, 10:44 PM
I'm not one to say who's saved and who's not, but isn't it better that he died after being baptized, rather than before? He could have died of lung cancer or some other kind of disease before being immersed.

randyk
Aug 21st 2017, 05:26 AM
A cousin of mine, age 52, died this past week. He had a lung condition from working in a coal mine his whole life.

However, he was getting baptized and some water Had got into his lungs and it killed him.

I don't understand why God would allow this to happen. It feels like a slap in the face

These kinds of things can't be judged from a distance. I don't know who he is, how he lived his life, or what he might've wanted in terms of a future service. I can think of much worse ways to die. But that is certainly strange!

Regardless, nothing life hands you should cause you to get upset with God. He is the righteous One. All of your love and compassion comes from Him. Any compassion you think you have without Him is false. All true love is His.

Noeb
Aug 21st 2017, 05:49 AM

Is there anything in the Bible that might comfort me and our family about this?God does not control everything. Bad things happen.

Ecc 9:11 I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.
Ecc 9:12 For man also knoweth not his time: as the fishes that are taken in an evil net, and as the birds that are caught in the snare; so are the sons of men snared in an evil time, when it falleth suddenly upon them.

Could he have stopped it? Sure. Maybe it was merciful (a kiss in the face) he didn't. I'd rather die getting baptized, than slowly and painfully with lung issues.

Walls
Aug 21st 2017, 11:44 AM

The loss of a life, especially one near to us, is always traumatic. We offer condolences but they don't really take the pain away. But here we have an added pain. Has God let down one of His own who was obedient? By no means. There are a number of considerations;

Many are the prophets and martyrs who obeyed God in their testimony and paid with their lives. Who has the right to be different? Is not obediencee to God unto death the highest form of loyalty to one's Maker and Rewarder?
When Adam had sinned he had not yet eaten of the Tree of Life. Genesis 3:22 reads; "And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever." The word "also" in this verse indicates that eating from the Tree of Life would be IN ADDITION to whatever else he had done. That is, he had not yet eaten from it. The reason for barring man from this Tree is evident. Man had allowed death and decay to come into his otherwise pristine body. And God, in His wisdom and foreknowledge, would not let a man in a retarded and decaying body live forever. It would be deserved, but too cruel for God's love for His creature. So we see God barring the way to the Tree of Life, UNTIL HE COULD PUT AWAY THE DECAYING EFFECTS OF SIN. That means that death is God's plan to do away with the old and introduce the new. 1st Corinthians 15:53, in context of the bodily resurrection of men, says; "For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality." Death is traumatic, for man was made to live. But the death of a decaying body is also a step in the process of getting a new one.
Finally, the Lord cares for His own better in death than in the life on this corrupt world. He has made, in the place called Hades, where the souls of dead men wait for resurrection, a place of COMFORT. It is called Paradise. The dead are better off than the living in this fallen and corrupt world. And Paul, who had seen Paradise during his training by Jesus (2nd Cor.12:3-4), says in Philippians 1:23 many years later; "For I am hard pressed between the two (life and death), having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better."

Your cousin, if you could speak to him now, would be smiling and say; "what an adventure in idyllic pleasure. I can't wait for you to experience it too!"

grams
Aug 21st 2017, 12:17 PM
We are not GOD's puppets.............

Trivalee
Aug 21st 2017, 03:37 PM

Did the autopsy specifically say it was the water in his lungs that killed him and not his underlying lung condition? Obviously, you are in pain over the loss, but do you realise that perhaps having given his life to Jesus, death therefore not only prevented him from further suffering but, potentially backsliding again into sin?

Rejoice because he is now in the bosom of the Lord. Some unbelievers never had the opportunity to give their life to Christ before they died.

Trivalee
Aug 21st 2017, 03:45 PM
We are not GOD's puppets.............

How do you mean, please clarify?

grams
Aug 21st 2017, 04:51 PM
How do you mean, please clarify?

Because GOD is not changing things ........ HE has given us a life to live as we wish. And now we are all Gentiles and GOD is not treating us as HE had done
in the beginning......
We have a bible to tell us what has gone on and what is now and in ages to come.......... They are all different . And GOD has HIS reason to do so...........

Trivalee
Aug 22nd 2017, 02:15 PM
Because GOD is not changing things ........ HE has given us a life to live as we wish. And now we are all Gentiles and GOD is not treating us as HE had done
in the beginning......
We have a bible to tell us what has gone on and what is now and in ages to come.......... They are all different . And GOD has HIS reason to do so...........

I understand. You are right, thanks for clarifying.

keck553
Aug 23rd 2017, 04:41 PM
I was reading something in Matthew 14 this morning that reminded me of this thread:

On Herod’s birthday the daughter of Herodias danced for the guests and pleased Herod so much 7 that he promised with an oath to give her whatever she asked. 8 Prompted by her mother, she said, “Give me here on a platter the head of John the Baptist.” 9 The king was distressed, but because of his oaths and his dinner guests, he ordered that her request be granted 10 and had John beheaded in the prison. 11 His head was brought in on a platter and given to the girl, who carried it to her mother. 12 John’s disciples came and took his body and buried it. Then they went and told Jesus.

13 When Jesus heard what had happened, he withdrew by boat privately to a solitary place. Hearing of this, the crowds followed him on foot from the towns. 14 When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick.

15 As evening approached, the disciples came to him and said, “This is a remote place, and it’s already getting late. Send the crowds away, so they can go to the villages and buy themselves some food.”

16 Jesus replied, “They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat.”

17 “We have here only five loaves of bread and two fish,” they answered.

18 “Bring them here to me,” he said. 19 And he directed the people to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the people. 20 They all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over. 21 The number of those who ate was about five thousand men, besides women and children.

Why did God allow John son of Zechariah to be murdered is such a brutal way? John brought many in Israel to repentance to prepare the way for Messiah Jesus. John was serving the Lord with a pure heart.

Jesus went to mourn, and perhaps He meditated in prayer and communion with the Father in the boat, but the narrative says He distracted by the crowds and His compassion for the sick and hungry stopped Him in His tracks, so He healed the sick and fed the 5000+. But then He spent some time alone.

But before He spent this time alone, He served God's will and loved others.

The narrative tells us a few things:

- Everyone's life will be required of God at any given moment. Thanks be to God for those who are in Christ when they are called home.
- Jesus (fully God) mourned for the loss of John, even though He knew John was with God.
- Jesus compassion for those who had immediate needs was more powerful than His grief of John's loss.
- Jesus spent time alone after He served the needs of the crowd.

Jesus as fully human was no less human than we are. His emotions and needs were no less than ours. His grief was real, His joy was real, and His willingness to step outside of His own grief and serve others was real. But His willingness to love others during His time of sorrow did not mean He swept John's death aside.

This is how Jesus handled the death of one whom He loved. As fully human, I think He fully understand our confusion and it is perfectly appropriate to ask "why?"

Noeb
Aug 23rd 2017, 06:08 PM
Beautiful words keck553