PDA

View Full Version : Being brave and finally sharing my testimony

Whispering Grace
Sep 10th 2005, 01:43 PM
I grew up in a very secular home with no religion. We had Bibles in the house, but they just sat on the shelf and collected dust. I was raised by my mom alone, and though it wasn't an unhappy childhood, we struggled financially and we were never terribly close as a family.

I had one stint in church for about 6 months when I was around 12. My mom started taking us to a Methodist church. I went through a confirmation class and was baptized, but I was really just going through the motions. It meant nothing to me. After about 6 months, I guess my mom got tired of taking us to church because we stopped going. And that was the last time I went to church for about 18 years.

When I was in high school, I fell into a deep, severe depression. I drank myself into oblivion every weekend, and I would often wake up in strange places not even knowing where I was. I did things while I was drunk that shame me to this day. But at the time, I didn't care if I lived or died, so nothing I did really fazed me. I didn't think I'd be alive long enough to ever regret things I had done.

When I hit rock bottom, I had decided to end my life. My life had spun out of control to the point that I had started to dabble in the occult. I hated God and all of the goodness He stood for. I could not understand how He could create a world so wrought with hatred and pain. I was living in a world of His creation, and all I felt was misery and despair. I felt Satan grabbing a hold of me, and I was powerless to resist him.

I was sitting in the locker room at school one day, in the depths of despair. I had decided to take my life that afternoon when I got home from school. I was all alone in the world, and I felt like no one cared. I was sitting by myself deciding how I was going to kill myself when a girl walked into the room and sat down next to me. She could see I was upset though I tried to hide it. This girl began to talk to me, and she said things that suddenly made me snap out of my suicidal plot. To this day, I cannot remember what this girl said to me, but I have no doubt that it was God working through her to save my life. She came out of nowhere, and left as quickly as she came.

I was saved from death, but unfortunately, I was not saved from depression. It was something I had really never won the battle over. I have struggled with feelings of worthlessness and depression on and off for much of my adult life.

I found my soulmate in high school, and we have been inseparable since we first got together. Thankfully, he saved me from my attempt to destroy myself with alcohol. But, unfortunately, he could not totally save me from my misery. We have been married for 14 years, and for many of those years, our relationship was strained. We were on the brink of divorce for a long time. I was bitter and angry, and still struggling. I always felt like something was wrong in my life. I just could not seem to find peace and happiness.

My husband was raised in a very strict religious home, and he wanted nothing to do with church. So we never set foot in a church until we had kids. After we started having kids, my husband approached me with the idea of going to church, just to give our kids some structure and a "moral base". So for a year or so, we searched churches, attending erratically. I guess I was considered a pew warmer. I never really bothered listening to the message, didn't feel anything for God, and I was basically going "for the kids".

After about a year of attending church, my father (who was saved at the age of 59), invited us to his church. The second I set foot in there, I knew I was at home. I loved the pastor, I loved his sermons, I loved how the Bible was treated as the absolute and final authority and as the Truth. My pastor was unapologetically fundamental in his views, and what he said made sense to me.

I was still basically a pew warmer, but as time went on, I noticed the strangest thing happening. I would sit in church and begin to cry. Just sitting there, in this holy place, I would fight back tears. I didn't realize it at the time, but my heart was opening to the Lord. He was drawing me to Him. I never really wanted anything to do with Him, and here I was falling in love, day by day, with this perfect God whom I used to hate.

One day, out of the blue, God lifted the veil from my eyes, and all of the sudden everything became clear to me. My life changed forever in that moment. I got down on my knees and begged Jesus to come to me. And I have never known such love before in my life. I finally realized after years of struggling, that what was missing from my life was God. He was that missing link causing me to feel so empty and so incomplete. For the first time in my life, I felt whole. The Holy Spirit came to me, and I felt such joy and peace for days that I actually felt inebriated. It was beautiful. I can only describe it as perfect bliss.

For the first time in our marriage, my husband and I were deliriously happy. I was finished being angry and bitter. I had hope and peace and love that exuded from the very core of my being. Joy just radiated from me. All the pain I had held onto seemed to melt away.

I began to study the Bible for hours every day, and I simply could not get enough of God's Word. The more I studied the Bible, the more I realized how wonderful it is. It all made sense to me, whereas before it was just a book. I couldn't stop praying to God, and often I would just break down and cry, overcome by His goodness and His merciful love. For the first time in years, I felt worthy. God filled that void in me, that void that had been in me since I sat in that locker room, ready to end it all. God was with me then, as He always has been, waiting patiently for me.

To this very day, I am still head over heels in love with the Lord. He is, and will always be, the driving force in my life. As suddenly as I found Him, my whole life changed. My views changed, my relationships changed, my outlook on life changed. God changed me forever, and I will forever be His. He gave me hope when I had none. He gave me life when it was all but gone. He gave me love and peace when all I knew was anger and pain. I love Him so deeply and so completely, that even I struggle to understand it sometimes. I am as devoted to Him as I could possibly be, and I live to serve Him, to praise Him, and to worship Him. I know true happiness now, and His name is Jesus Christ.

SammeyDW
Sep 10th 2005, 01:55 PM
Praise God.
That's such a wonderful Testimony. :pp

Diggindeeper
Sep 10th 2005, 06:17 PM
The young man who posted "I am no longer a Christian" in Christian Answers really, realy needs to see your testimony!

God bless you for sharing it!~ :kiss:

Cassandra Dee
Sep 10th 2005, 07:01 PM
Praise God!!! :pp

:pray: Thank You, Father God, for the great works in my Sister's life. She has been a blessing to me, and I know You have great things in store for her life. All praise be to You, for You are so worthy to be praised!!! :amen:

pnewton
Sep 10th 2005, 07:33 PM
Your post made my day. Thanks for taking the time and effort to share it.

Puritan
Sep 10th 2005, 10:19 PM
Whispering Grace,

What a great testimony! Reading it was a blessing to me.http://bibleforums.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

TEITZY
Sep 10th 2005, 10:33 PM
2 Cor 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

The greatest miracle of all is the new birth in Christ.

Thanks WG, that was great.

Cheers
Leigh

LauraMegan
Sep 11th 2005, 03:36 AM
Whispering Grace, your testimony is AMAZING. Hearing about how God worked in your life truly inspired me!! Praise God. :hug: :pp

EarlyCall
Sep 11th 2005, 04:42 AM
Testimonies such as your's are some of the greatest preaching around! :) They contain all the essential elements of a great sermon: caught up and lost in sin, God reaching down to lift us out of it, rescuing us, delivering us from certain death, spiritual and often physical, forgiveness and redemption, God's love given when not deserved, and our response to God when we have our eyes opened. And to love God because what can one do when one truly knows God. And finally how this translates into our living our lives then for and to God because of what He has done for us.

Great testimony Whispering Grace. :)

Toolman
Sep 11th 2005, 07:35 PM
WG,

Great testimony to Christ's grace and His unfathomable love!

Jesusinmyheart
Sep 12th 2005, 03:55 AM
I love this testimony, it goes to show God is always there, and He will draw us out of the deep waters. Thanks for sharing WG.

RuthieJH
Sep 15th 2005, 01:01 PM
As suddenly as I found Him, my whole life changed. My views changed, my relationships changed, my outlook on life changed. God changed me forever, and I will forever be His. He gave me hope when I had none. He gave me life when it was all but gone. He gave me love and peace when all I knew was anger and pain.

The quote above is beautifully stated. I do completely relate to this. This is exactly how I feel when it comes to my relationship with Jesus. I don't even recognize who I was before. Actually, it doesn't matter who I was before. She is gone, history. What matters is here and now, today. You know, there is a line from the song One Day At A Time, it says, "Yesterday's gone, Sweet Jesus, and tomorrow may never be mine" So my "today" with Jesus, is starting off very bright, right here in the testimony section. I am glad I stopped by here this morning. My visit here has been a blessing.

Whispering Grace, yours is yet another beautiful testimony. Thank you so much for taking the time to share it with all of us. :hug:

Ruthie

Whispering Grace
Jun 10th 2007, 09:44 PM
I was reading over my testimony in the hopes of sharing it at church soon. I thought I would bump it in case any of the newer members would care to read it.

It's been almost 2 years since I posted it, and I am more in love with the Lord than ever! Praise God!

Saved7
Jun 11th 2007, 11:32 PM
Whispering Grace, I am glad you bumped it. I have never read your testimony. Thanks for sharing it, the way God works to save us is beautiful:hug: indeed.

heraldingvictory
Jun 12th 2007, 09:45 PM
I am new to this forum and am also very happy that you reposted your testimony. It is truly rivetting, inspiring and powerful. You speak His life! May Yeshua be raised high in the hearts of all who read His words written by your life. Bless you my sister.

ShirleyFord
Jun 14th 2007, 12:10 AM
Thanks so much WG for posting you testimony!

What a blessing!

Praise be to Jesus who gives us the victory and always causes us to triump!

Shirley