PDA

View Full Version : What Denomination?

Cassandra Dee
Dec 12th 2005, 06:19 AM
I know that we are all one huge family with God as our Creator, Lord, etc, but I am curious....

What denomination do you attend? Are you a member?

Feel free to share what other denominations you have attended, if you wish.

(I pray that this thread doesn't turn into "debating about denominations," as that is not my intention in starting this thread. I am just curious about how many different denominations are on this board.)

Forgiven
Dec 12th 2005, 09:36 AM
Christian and Missionary Alliance (CMA).

I am not a label. I think you nailed it with your first sentence. The church I attend is non-denominational, which suits me perfectly. :hug:

Spurgeon1888
Dec 12th 2005, 10:36 AM
Since you asked, Southern Baptist. But I consider myself a Christian, not a Southern Baptist - my denomination won't get me into heaven, nor will church membership... it's gonna take God's grace for what I've done. Thank God for Jesus!

CLP28
Dec 12th 2005, 12:05 PM
We are members of a non-denominational church. We used to be affiliated with a denomination, but split from it when their doctrine started getting all wacky.

theabaud
Dec 12th 2005, 01:27 PM
Tough Question, I am an independent Fundamental Baptist, but not to be confused with those other IFBs.

**just to clarify I mean the ones I always have to apologize for**

clonenomore
Dec 12th 2005, 01:30 PM
I grew up in the United Methodist Church -- primarily because that's where my parents went. I am currently a member of a UMC, but my ministry is non-denominational.

Strange, I know, but I'm a little weird anyway...

Seeker of truth
Dec 12th 2005, 02:21 PM
I attend a Pentecostil church and yes, I'm a member :)

Whispering Grace
Dec 12th 2005, 02:38 PM
I'm a member of a non-denominational Bible church.

Keemah
Dec 12th 2005, 02:43 PM
I am a conglomeration of several. I attend a Pentecostal "non-denominational" church now as there are no Messianic synagogues where I live. When I was first saved, I attended Assemblies of God churches for several years. And I have also been a member of Church of Christ, and a frequent visitor to charismatic Catholic services.

mcgyver
Dec 12th 2005, 03:11 PM
Hi all,

As a child and young man, I was a member of the Episcopal Church.

I came to salvation in a Southern Baptist Church, and I am a member of a SBC to this day :)

I agree with my fellow Southern Baptist who posted earlier....it's not the denomination, it's the shed Blood of Christ!

seek_joy
Dec 12th 2005, 03:23 PM
Born and baptised a Lutheran. Attended that denomination until I married my dh, who was Christian Missionary Alliance.

After several fights ensued over whose church to attend, :D we found a non-denominational Bible teaching church in our town. We've been happy ever since.

Cit
Dec 12th 2005, 03:27 PM
My first church was Southern Baptist. I moved & had to find a new Church which was Christian and Missionary Alliance. Now I attend a non-denominational church. The label matters little but I find it intresting to find out what denomination people belong to as well. :)

todd77
Dec 12th 2005, 03:58 PM
Christian and Missionary Alliance here too. My wife and I are both members.

lbeaty1981
Dec 12th 2005, 04:02 PM
I started off as a Southern Baptist, then started going to a Bible Baptist church when I moved to oklahoma. Now that I'm back in Texas, I've been going to a Southern Baptist church. I've been having some issues with some of our pastor's teachings, though, so I may be moving to a non-denominational churc in the near future.

Theophilus
Dec 12th 2005, 04:06 PM
http://www.nazarene.org/i/sealds.gif (http://www.nazarene.org/i/sealds.gif)
Church of the Nazarene, in case the logo goes missing.

Slug1
Dec 12th 2005, 04:16 PM
Cheech and I attend a Nazarene church. We aren't official members but we will probably become members in the future. I already have Nazarene stamped on my dog-tags as my faith.

mheat923
Dec 12th 2005, 04:32 PM
I attend and am a member of the southern baptist and have been doing so since I was 5 days old..... however I have attended several other denominations to see what the "difference" was and I will list them...

Catholic-My father is catholic
Church of Christ
Episcipal
Missionary Baptist
Church of God
Pentacostal
and several non- denominational churches

I still at some point would like to attend a methodist and luthern church

as others have said my denomination does not get me in to heaven.....

CaptainInsane-O
Dec 12th 2005, 07:09 PM
Grew up in the Roman Catholic Church and was happy there up into my teens; it was a fairly progressive parish and the focus was on the Bible & Jesus until our priest retired and a "hardliner" monsignor took over.

I now attend, am active within & am a member of a Nazarene church.

Doug C.

Ninna
Dec 12th 2005, 07:35 PM
Southern Baptist - but I am a Christian first, like others have said. I really don't think much about denomination, that is where God has placed us to serve.

judi<>><
Dec 12th 2005, 10:14 PM
Well, my mom put me on the roles of UMW (United Methodist Women) when I was 6 mos old....and now I am married to a UM pastor...so....

I have attended/visited a number of other churches, including being a fairly regular attender at the Assembly of God Church for Sunday evening Praise and Worship while we were in Bridgeport :rolleyes: (don't ask)

Yes, the United Methodists have their problems, but we believe the God can and still is using this denomination!

always
Dec 12th 2005, 10:16 PM
I belong to the Grand Ole Church of God in Christ

Cassandra Dee
Dec 12th 2005, 10:50 PM
and now I am married to a UM pastor

I had no idea that you are married to a pastor. I love learning more about my Sisters and Brothers on the board. :)

Cassandra Dee
Dec 12th 2005, 11:20 PM
My grandma took me to church when I was a child/teen. We attended the Church of God. I attended there until I married my first husband. I never felt comfortable there, even though so many of my relatives attended that church. I didn't learn anything at that church, and was so hungry to learn about God. They taught us to fear God, and I learned nothing about how to love Him.

My first husband and I attended the Catholic church that his family were members of. He attended Inquiry classes with me. I enjoyed learning about the Catholic church, but felt it wasn't the place I belonged. That is the only church I attended until our divorce.

My husband and I attended the Church of the Brethren from 1993 until 1999. We were married in that church and were both baptized there. I still was hungry to learn more about the Bible and God, but wasn't fed the way I desired to be. It wasn't the place I felt I was supposed to be, and my husband felt the same way.

In 2002, we started attending the Assemblies of God. Oh, how wonderful that was for us! We felt like it was what we had been searching for our entire lives! We learned so much! We were rebaptized that year, and became members. We attended that church until we moved from California to Michigan in June, 2005. It was very hard to leave, but we knew that God had other plans for us, as He was leading us to make the huge move.

We now attend an Assemblies of God church about 8 miles from our home. We feel extremely blessed to be a part of such a welcoming and loving church family. The support we receive from our brothers and sisters in Christ that we worship and learn with is priceless.

I agree that we are all part of the same family of God, however, people's personalities are very different, and some people feel they belong in one denomination and others another. My husband and I are most comfortable in a Charismatic church, and feel we spiritually thrive as part of the Assemblies of God. We have grown the most spiritually since being members of the AG, and are glad to call it home. The other denominations that I have visited in my life aren't bad, just different and not what I was looking for, nor felt led by God to be a part of up until this point in my life.

It is so wonderful to see so many different denominations on the board. :hug: God is so awesome to lead all of us in so many different directions, yet still helps us feel united in His family. :pray:

Big T
Dec 13th 2005, 12:08 AM
non............

the J Man
Dec 13th 2005, 01:49 AM
Non denominational. I don't believe that there should be denominations within the body of Christ for we all serve the Lord Jesus Christ. It is Him who saves, not any denominational name or any particular congregation.

ASoldiersWife
Dec 14th 2005, 04:11 AM
Independant Fundamental Baptist

trinity
Dec 14th 2005, 05:02 PM
I know that we are all one huge family with God as our Creator, Lord, etc, but I am curious....

(I pray that this thread doesn't turn into "debating about denominations," as that is not my intention in starting this thread. I am just curious about how many different denominations are on this board.)

I was first a Baptist. Then I became an agnostic. After I got saved I attended Hatfield Christian Church which is Charismatic. And I never looked back ;)

skc53
Dec 14th 2005, 05:10 PM
I am a Missionary Baptist! I agree with those who say it isn't your demonination that gets you into Heaven. It's accepting Jesus into your heart and I'm very very thankful that Jesus died on the cross for all our sins. Thank you Jesus!

*~Carrie~*
Dec 14th 2005, 08:09 PM
We are non-denom. We attend a Calvary Chapel (there are lots of them, they consider themselves non-denom). I guess you could say we are members... but there's not any place to sign up or anything... it's if you attend and want it to be your church home, then you're a member.

S10CHEVY
Dec 15th 2005, 01:48 AM
Was raised in a Nazarene church, and my dad was Sunday School Superintendant for many years. Then as a teenager, 3 siblings and me went to a Church of God for a few years. Later returned to Nazarene. Then on graduation, fell out of going at all basicly, for about 30 years. In 1999 we started going to what I will call a new wave church. Ended up seeing more of the devil working on people there, then the raising of Christ up. They would only sing songs written in the past 5 years. Other things went down hill also. But God was with me to show me where he wanted me to be, in the denomination my wife was raised in. So yes, belong to an Episcopalian Church now, and feel that is truly where God wants me to be. :) But it is our sharing of Jesus Christ with others, no matter where we go, both with those who believe, and then sharing Christ with the non-believers. Neighbors are Babtists, and when together some of our talk is our sharing of Christ.

karenoka27
Dec 15th 2005, 02:34 AM
Independant Fundamental Baptist

Ditto.............................

crazycheetah
Dec 15th 2005, 03:08 AM
I've gone to numerous different denominations, growin' up, but am currently at an inter-denominational church.

As for me, I'm kinda iffy about calling myself any general denomination, even non-denominational. I just don't really care. If they teach the bible, then I've got nothing wrong with attending a church under any given denomination.

I kinda like the orthodox church, though, to be honest, but haven't ever had the chance to actually attend one, so can't say anything about it other than what I know from the intarweb. *shrug*

Love ya!

Armistead14
Dec 15th 2005, 03:35 AM
IfBC for years, then SB, finally non denom and find that to be the best place for me.

ChristianKnight
Mar 22nd 2008, 10:57 PM
Baptist Church, Baptist. but I don't really care about denominations.

MMC
Mar 22nd 2008, 11:36 PM
Presbyterian (PCA)

newdaddy1223
Mar 23rd 2008, 01:24 PM
I grew up in Assembly of God church, which was a very good experience for me. I met a pastor of a Calvary Chapel and started going there since i loved the Bible teaching. We go through the whole Bible book by book, chapter by chapter, verse by verse. It takes about 8-10 years , depending on the pastor. I've been to two different ones in two different states.

nebula_omega
Mar 24th 2008, 04:02 AM
Southern Baptist. Which I still find amusing because I HATED SB's in high school/college. Now I am one. Go figure.

Bob Carabbio
Jun 26th 2015, 03:23 AM
What denomination do you attend?

Assembly of God.

Are you a member?

Yes. for the time being.

Southern Baptist, American Baptist, Nazarene, Charismatic United Methodist, United Methodist, Bible Church, United Church of Christ, Non-Instrumental Church of Christ (Campbellite) Instrumental CHurch of Christ (Campbellite), Free Will Baptist, Fellowship of Christian Assemblies (FCA), Roman Catholic, and an aggregation of Non-Denoms, Charismatic, and otherwise.

PERSONALLY, I'm a "Free Range Charismatic Eclectic, non-denominational Christian", who's spent MOST of the last 50 years in the AoG, but is not personally defined by it.

Sam07
Jun 26th 2015, 04:13 PM
Hi

Melbourne planet shakers, not a formal member but have attended for a few years, back ground is AOG.

John 8:32
Jun 28th 2015, 05:51 PM
Member of COGWA

Cloudwalker
Jun 29th 2015, 06:05 PM
I am currently a member of my local United Methodist Church (been a Methodist since before we were United). Along the way I have attended Disciples of Christ (went to a Disciples Seminary), Presbyterian, Baptist (several versions including Parsons church), Assembly of God, Nazarene (half grew up here as my dad's family were Nazarene), Catholic, Episcopal, and a host of others I can't even begin to name. And I am pleased to say I found God in every one.

Slug1
Jun 29th 2015, 07:10 PM
Cheech and I attend a Nazarene church. We aren't official members but we will probably become members in the future. I already have Nazarene stamped on my dog-tags as my faith.WOW, blast from the past. God has really moved me around since 2005, much maturing in relationship with Him, a new church and the last set of dog-tags I had stamped said "Christian" :)

Dimaline
Jun 30th 2015, 02:00 AM
Evangelical Covenant Church!!

birdy
Jun 30th 2015, 10:35 AM
I don't see going to man-made organizations as required by scripture. "Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?" (Acts 7:49) "Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain." (Psalm 127:1) I see the term 'house' in the Bible as usually meaning true believers in Christ everywhere they are. I see the word 'church' as meaning those that God knows are his, and not those that belong to a man-made organization. I see the phrase 'keep the sabbath' as meaning 'be saved by God's work alone, resting in him spiritually while he does the work of saving his own" rather than meaning attend an organization on a particular day of the week religiously. Further, the Bible seems to have scriptures that caution us about being involved in man-made religious organizations that claim to be in Christ, but may not be: "Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues." (Rev 18:4) Another scripture which is interesting is: "For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise." (2 Cor 10:12) I have attended and been a member of United Methodist, Multidenominational Pentecostal, 7th day Adventist, Evangelical Methodist, various Baptist, Christian Missionary Alliance, various full gospel independent churches and charismatic churches like Vineyard, and missions, street outreaches, and radio evangelisms. However, I have come out from among them for various doctrinal reasons usually, when it seems there is not a meeting up with scripture correctly or when they seem like a money company instead, or when they don't really seem to be interested in Christ. I have much more spiritual peace and success having a relationship with Christ's leading as he connects with me directly rather than doing what men say I have to do based on seemingly presumptive rules and regulations.

Cloudwalker
Jun 30th 2015, 06:59 PM
BTW, my ordination was through a non denominational organization.

jennileela
Jul 1st 2015, 04:51 PM
Non-denominational church. My mom's parents were Lutheran, but she went non-denominational and raised me as such.

Mac4Yuma
Jul 2nd 2015, 10:06 PM

I have not found any denominations in the Bible to say I am in one but I must say I am in the Church group that the bible talks about the one that God adds to as needed.

Mac.

OntheRightpath
Jul 13th 2015, 10:22 PM
I identify most with Seventh day adventism, as of now. But I'm not a member.

SavedByJesus
Jul 19th 2015, 06:21 PM
Me and Mom are ARPs. Dad doesn't go to church.

TrustGzus
Jul 19th 2015, 09:10 PM
I get a kick out of things such as a post getting resurrected from a 7-year slumber.

I hope we all rid ignite we are part of the church universal, or the invisible church, but that each of can be part of a denomination that matches our beliefs more on secondary or tertiary doctrines as we participate in the visible church.

I grew up Roman Catholic. After becoming Evangelical at 15-years-old, I spent about 18 years in Calvary Chapel. I spent 4 years after that as a member in a non-denom church that was like Moody meets Willow Creek. Now I'm a member in a church that on the "about us" page of the website says non-denominational but doctrinally is really Reformed Baptist. Been there for 15 months. Been a member since January.

Bob Carabbio
Jul 27th 2015, 01:04 AM

After being paedobapized as a Roman Catholic, 20 years later I became a Christian in an SBC Outreach, and was Baptist for about a ear before I jumped to the Assemblies of God, where I've been for MOST of the last 52 years, with brief sojurns in the Instrumental Campbellite Church of Christ, Charismatic United Methodist, a couple of Baptist style non-denoms, United Church of Christ, Fellowship of Christian Assemblies, Nazarene, Independent Charismatic, And FGBMFI.

I'd describe myself as a "Free-Range Charismatic Non-Denominational theological eclectic", who's presently a member of an Assembly of God church.