PDA

View Full Version : What Denominational Family Are You?

matthew94
Dec 22nd 2005, 08:03 PM
Groupings taken from Ron Rhodes new book 'Complete Guide to Christian Denominations.

After reading the book, I liked the following:

1. Church of God Anderson (http://matthew94.blogspot.com/2005/11/1-church-of-god-anderson.html)
Doctrinal match made in heaven
2. Wesleyan (http://matthew94.blogspot.com/2005/11/2-wesleyan.html)
My happy home
3. Nazarene (http://matthew94.blogspot.com/2005/11/3-nazarene.html)
Full of great people
4. Mennonite (http://matthew94.blogspot.com/2005/11/4-mennonite.html)
Gotta love the liberal Ammish
5. Calvary Chapel (http://matthew94.blogspot.com/2005/11/5-calvary-chapel.html)
Verse by verse Bible churches
6. Salvation Army
Unique, awesome reputation
7. Free Methodist
Their use of 'free' was full of meaning
8. Free Will Baptist
Share my views on 'elect in the Son'
9. Christian Missionary Alliance
Only disagreemnt is with ideas on healing
10. Vineyard Church
Emphasize God's present kingdom

Slug1
Dec 22nd 2005, 08:46 PM
Nazarene, plan on joining in near future.

Whispering Grace
Dec 22nd 2005, 08:46 PM
I go to a non-denominational Bible church, so I'm technically no denomination, but I did mark where you had the choice of Bible church (although it's technically not a denomination. ;) )

doppelganger
Dec 22nd 2005, 09:18 PM
Well, I grew up in a Baptist church (GARBC (http://www.garbc.org/)-flavored, if anyone cares), but now I go to a Missionary (http://www.mcusa.org/) church, which isn't on the list and doesn't fit neatly into any one particular category shown. The Missionary Church denomination is kind of a blend of Mennonite, Methodist, and Pietist/Holiness backgrounds.

Wikipedia has a pretty good list of denominations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations), and attempts to group them by family.

Amadeus
Dec 22nd 2005, 09:21 PM
Episcopalian here.

I was sort of confused with the Wesleyans and Salvation Army being characterized as "holiness" (I'm not exactly sure what that means). I was under the impression that the Wesleyans had pulled out from the Methodists over controversies concerning the Episcopal office, but that their theology was identical.

Also, is the Salvation Army a church? :confused

always
Dec 22nd 2005, 09:23 PM
I belong to the Grand Ole Church of God In Christ.

Ninna
Dec 22nd 2005, 09:35 PM
I am Christian first.....denomination really doesn't mean much to me. We are all brothers & sisters!

matthew94
Dec 22nd 2005, 09:45 PM
I go to a non-denominational Bible church, so I'm technically no denomination, but I did mark where you had the choice of Bible church (although it's technically not a denomination. )

That is correct. And Rhodes treats them as independant, but wanted to include them as a group. In practice, most non-denominational Bible churches ARE linked by some 'alliance' and, in that way, are similar to a denomination.

The Missionary Church denomination is kind of a blend of Mennonite, Methodist, and Pietist/Holiness backgrounds.

Rhodes lists the Missionary Church with the Mennonites.

I was sort of confused with the Wesleyans and Salvation Army being characterized as "holiness" (I'm not exactly sure what that means). I was under the impression that the Wesleyans had pulled out from the Methodists over controversies concerning the Episcopal office, but that their theology was identical.

Also, is the Salvation Army a church?

Rhodes felt that the Holiness movement was a large enough group to be dealt with on its own. The Nararenes & Wesleyans came out of the holiness movement (even though the wesleyans were originally methodists, of course). the salvation army was started by a methodist and is currently very similar to wesleyan's and other holiness denominations.

The salvation army has a membership of close to 500,000 people. I am not sure if they call themselves a denomination, but they are certainly organized.

I am Christian first.....denomination really doesn't mean much to me. We are all brothers & sisters!

I agree. But just like when we meet new friends and ask 'where are you from'...there is value in knowing/understanding what types of churches we come from.

God bless. Thanks everyone for your responses so far.
~matthew

roadrunner570
Dec 22nd 2005, 09:51 PM
The Missionary Church has cleanly broken from the Mennonites, while they have some basic core doctrines in common, the Mennonites as a whole have become quite liberal in their theology over the years.

Also, the Missionary Alliance is completely different from the Missionary Church:

http://www.mcusa.org/

matthew94
Dec 22nd 2005, 10:14 PM
The Missionary Church has cleanly broken from the Mennonites, while they have some basic core doctrines in common, the Mennonites as a whole have become quite liberal in their theology over the years.

Also, the Missionary Alliance is completely different from the Missionary Church:

http://www.mcusa.org/
Yes, the missionary church was started in 1969 with the merger of 'missionary church association' and 'united missionary church' but both have their roots in mennonite history (not specifically the current mennonite church).

When you say the 'mennonites' as a whole, you're referring to the whole movement? in what way are they 'quite liberal' in their theology? I know the group called 'the mennonite church' is not liberal in their theology.

todd77
Dec 22nd 2005, 10:27 PM
Ok so the church my wife and I attend is part of the Christian Missionary Alliance (http://www.cmalliance.org/). Not really sure where it fits on the poll though.

DarkMajin
Dec 22nd 2005, 10:34 PM
Well, can't particularly answer this as I do not belong to a denomination or even a specific church.
I'd even go as far to say that I have yet to have even found a church that lines up with what I believe.

matthew94
Dec 22nd 2005, 10:34 PM
Ok so the church my wife and I attend is part of the Christian Missionary Alliance (http://www.cmalliance.org/). Not really sure where it fits on the poll though.
Hey todd77

Ron Rhodes put you with the Fundamentalist/Bible-Churches.

I really like the Christian Missionary Alliance Churches. God bless.

Albert Simpson, the founder, had been a Presbyterian minister

roadrunner570
Dec 22nd 2005, 10:52 PM
Yes, the missionary church was started in 1969 with the merger of 'missionary church association' and 'united missionary church' but both have their roots in mennonite history (not specifically the current mennonite church).

When you say the 'mennonites' as a whole, you're referring to the whole movement? in what way are they 'quite liberal' in their theology? I know the group called 'the mennonite church' is not liberal in their theology.

I did a paper on the Missionary CHurch a few months ago, I suppose I can post it if anyone would like to read it.

As far as liberal, I know Mennonites areound here tend to be all over the map. But at Goshen College, the "official" college for Mennonites, sort of, they teach that Genesis and much of the OT is myth and symbolism and didn't really happen. They teach that pretty much any lifestyle is acceptable...I think they even have some gay professors and student groups. Just that sort of thing. Not the kind of stuff you'd want to see at a Christian college.

LindaJ
Dec 22nd 2005, 10:58 PM
non denom...if I did they would have to be pre-trib,accept females are NOT 3rd(or below)class citizens,be child friendly and believe in the gifts of God and be more concerned about spreading the message of God than if men are not in sunday best or if females were not wearing skirts.

yes...I say this in ALL seriousnes(i know, your all saying...for a change:D )

Keemah
Dec 23rd 2005, 04:46 AM
I am a Pentecostal Messianic believer. Messianic wasn't up there, so I put Pentecostal. I also like the Vineyard Churches, and have tremendous respect and admiration for the Mennonites.

karenmot
Dec 23rd 2005, 05:28 AM
If I had to pick one I would say Assemblies of God -- not on your list.....

matthew94
Dec 23rd 2005, 06:58 AM
Rhodes placed the Assemblies of God in the Pentecostal group

Here is a list of the denominations Rhodes dealt with that are over 100,000 members and the groupings he put them in...

Lutheran Churches (Germany 1517)
1847 Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod 2.5 million +
1850 Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod 400K +
1987 Evangelical Lutheran 5 million+

Mennonite Churches (Switzerland 1520’s, USA 1683)
1725 Mennonite Church About 100K

Reformed Churches (Switzerland 1533, USA 1600’s)
1628 Reformed Church About 300K
1857 Christian Reformed Church About 200K

Presbyterian Churches (Scotland 1567, USA 1706)
1810 Cumberland Presbyterian Church Almost 100K
1973 Presbyterian Church in America Almost 300K
1983 Presbyterian Church, USA 3.5 Million +

Episcopal/Anglican Churches (England Mid-1500’s, USA 1607)
1789 Episcopal Church 2 million +

Baptist Churches (England 1611, USA 1639)
1845 Southern Baptist Convention Almost 16 million
1852 Baptist General Conference Almost 150K
1895 National Baptist Convention 3.5 Million +
1907 American Baptist Churches Almost 1.5 Million
1907 National Primitive Baptist Convention 1 Million +
1924 American Baptist Association 250K +
1935 Free Will Baptists 200K +
1961 Progressive National Baptist Convention 2.5 Million +
1988 National Missionary Baptist Convention 2.5 Million +

Brethren Churches (Germany 1708, USA 1723)
1708 Church of the Brethren 100K +
1880 Church of God, Anderson Indiana 200K +
1885 Evangelical Free Church 250K +

Methodist Churches (England 1729, USA 1766)
1816 African Methodist Episcopal Church 2.5 Million +
1860 Free Methodist Church Almost 100K
1870 Christian Methodist Episcopal Church 700K +
1968 United Methodist Church 8 Million +
1821 African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church 1 Million +

Christian Churches (USA 1811)
1832 Christian Church – Disciples of Christ 800K +
1887 Christian Congregation, Inc 100K +
1906 Churches of Christ 1.5 Million +
1927 Christian Churches and Churches of Christ 1 Million +
1957 United Church of Christ Almost 1.5 Million

Adventist Churches (USA 1816)
1845 Seventh-Day Adventist 800K +

Holiness Churches (USA Late 1800’s)
1880 Salvation Army Almost 500K +
1908 Church of the Nazarene 600K +
1968 Wesleyan Church 100K +

Fundamentalist/Bible Churches (USA Late 1800’s)
1897 Christian and Missionary Alliance Almost 350K
1947 Conservative Baptist Association 200K +
1950 Baptist Bible Fellowship 1.2 Million +
1950 Baptist Missionary Association 200K +

Pentecostal Churches (USA 1901)
1886 Church of God Almost 1 million
1907 Church of God in Christ 5.5 Million +
1911 Pentecostal Holiness Church Almost 200K
1914 Assemblies of God 2.5 Million +
1927 Church of the Foursquare Gospel 200K +
1957 Bible Way Church of Our Lord Jesus Christ 300K +
1962 Full Gospel Fellowship 250K +
1907 Pentecostal Assemblies of the World 1.5 Million +
1945 United Pentecostal Church 600K +

CLP28
Dec 23rd 2005, 11:59 AM
Pentecostal Churches (USA 1901)
1886 Church of God Almost 1 million

Is this the Church of God, Anderson, IN or Cleveland, TN or neither?

matthew94
Dec 23rd 2005, 03:11 PM
No. Rhodes placed the Church of God Anderson in the BRETHREN category

Reading through the book, COG Anderson was my favorite

The COG you quoted is the more pentecostal version

Seeker of truth
Dec 23rd 2005, 04:37 PM
We are Pentecostal :)

crazycheetah
Dec 23rd 2005, 07:06 PM
can't say I'm from any. Not even really non-denominational, really.

The church I go to considers themselves inter-denominational (or non-denominational, but usually as a second), but there's even things I don't fully agree with. I think it's that way, with me, for pretty much every church I've ever been to.

I guess one could call me, in some ways, an open-minded and skeptical christian. Not so much about the basics (Jesus' coming in the flesh, death, resurrection, and ascension, specifically, are positives, as are many of God's absolutes and such), but about general doctrines. As long as they're not decisive to my faith, I just leave 'em open ended, waiting for God to better reveal it, I guess. Especially if two doctrines contradict eachother and I see debating over them all the time. In that case, I take note of it, and even read the debates, but try to remain skeptical of both sides, and open to both sides. *shrug*

And I don't really know a church/denomination that does that so much, to be honest. My church kind of does, which is why I like it, but there's some points where they kinda put their foot down on somethin' I'm not quite willing to, because I see a conflicting argument. Oh well. :p

Love ya!

abidingone
Dec 23rd 2005, 07:57 PM
I attend a Christian and Missionary Alliance Church.

I wish everyone did.

The Alliance Doctrinal Statement
http://www.cmalliance.org/images/linepx.gif
http://www.cmalliance.org/images/shim.gif
1. There is one God,(1) who is infinitely perfect,(2) existing eternally in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.(3)
([1] Deuteronomy 6:4, [2] Matthew 5:48, [3] Matthew 28:19)

2. Jesus Christ is the true God and the true man.(4) He was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary.(5) He died upon the cross, the Just for the unjust,(6) as a substitutionary sacrifice,(7) and all who believe in Him are justified on the ground of His shed blood.(8) He arose from the dead according to the Scriptures.(9) He is now at the right hand of Majesty on high as our great High Priest.(10) He will come again to establish His kingdom, righteousness and peace.(11)
([4] Philippians 2:6-11, [5] Luke 1:3438, [6] I Peter 3:18, [7] Hebrews 2:9, [8] Romans 5:9, [9] Acts 2:2324, [10] Hebrews 8:1, [11] Matthew 26:64)

3. The Holy Spirit is a divine person,(12) sent to dwell, guide, teach, empower the believer,(13) and convince the world of sin, of righteousness, and of judgment.(14) ([12] John 14:1518, [13] John 16:13, Acts 1:8, [14] John 16:711)

4. The Old and New Testaments, inerrant as originally given, were verbally inspired by God and are a complete revelation of His will for the salvation of men. They constitute the divine and only rule of Christian faith and practice.(15) ([15] 2 Peter 1:2021, 2 Timothy 3:1516)

5. Man was originally created in the image and likeness of God:(16) he fell through disobedience, incurring thereby both physical and spiritual death. All men are born with a sinful nature,(17) are separated from the life of God, and can be saved only through the atoning work of the Lord Jesus Christ.(18) The portion of the unrepentant and unbelieving is existence forever in conscious torment;(19) and that of the believer, in everlasting joy and bliss.(20)
([16] Genesis 1:27, [17] Romans 3:23, [18] 1 Corinthians15:2023, [19] Revelation 21:8, [20] Revelation 21:14)

6. Salvation has been provided through Jesus Christ for all men; and those who repent and believe in Him are born again of the Holy Spirit, receive the gift of eternal life, and become the children of God.(21)
([21] Titus 3:47)

7. It is the will of God that each believer should be filled with the Holy Spirit and be sanctified wholly,(22) being separated from sin and the world and fully dedicated to the will of God, thereby receiving power for holy living and effective service.(23) This is both a crisis and a progressive experience wrought in the life of the believer subsequent to conversion.24 ([22] 1 Thessalonians 5:23, [23] Acts 1:8, [24] Romans 6:114)

8. Provision is made in the redemptive work of the Lord Jesus Christ for the healing of the mortal body.(25) Prayer for the sick and anointing with oil are taught in the Scriptures and are privileges for the Church in this present age.(26)
([25] Matthew 8:1617, [26] James 5:1316)

9. The Church consists of all those who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, are redeemed through His blood, and are born again of the Holy Spirit. Christ is the Head of the Body, the Church, (27) which has been commissioned by Him to go into all the world as a witness, preaching the gospel to all nations.(28) The local church is a body of believers in Christ who are joined together for the worship of God, for edification through the Word of God, for prayer, fellowship, the proclamation of the gospel, and observance of the ordinances of Baptism and the Lord's Supper.(29)
([27] Ephesians 1:2223, [28] Matthew 28:1920, [29] Acts 2:4147)

10. There shall be a bodily resurrection of the just and of the unjust; for the former, a resurrection unto life;(30) for the latter, a resurrection unto judgment.(31)
([30] 1 Corinthians 15:2023, [31] John 5:2829)

11. The second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ is imminent(32) and will be personal, visible, and premillennial.(33) This is the believer's blessed hope and is a vital truth which is an incentive to holy living and faithful service.(34)
([32] Hebrews 10:37, [33] Luke 21:27, [34] Titus 2:1114)

http://www.cmalliance.org/ncm/findachurch/findachurch.jsp

See you in Church

showNav('MAINwho','WHO');document.getElementById('/whoweare/doctrine.jsp').className = 'nav2over';

karenmot
Dec 24th 2005, 12:36 AM
Rhodes placed the Assemblies of God in the Pentecostal group

I guess that means that I can vote then!

rabidchipmunk
Dec 24th 2005, 01:55 AM
baptist to the bone :cool:

Cit
Dec 24th 2005, 05:29 AM
I guess you could call me Denominationless
(yes I like to make up my own words:-P)

I go to a non-denom church (I am not a member). I used to go to a Christian and Missionary Alliance Church - again wasn't an official member. Both churches are great.

If you are interested in finding an Alliance Church in your area go to the following web-site and type in your state or city. http://www.cmalliance.org/ncm/findac...indachurch.jsp (http://www.cmalliance.org/ncm/findachurch/findachurch.jsp)

Don't forget the Canadians . . .They can find a CMA church here ---> http://www.cmacan.org/

undertheblood
Dec 24th 2005, 10:46 AM
Raised Southern Baptist, now anywhere where the Truth, Love, and Spirit is.

I haven't thought of the term, "Hard-Shell[ed] Baptist", in a longtime, somehow this topic has brought it to my rememberance.

I'm from the deep South, and you're not babtist until you're Southern Baptist.

karenmot
Dec 24th 2005, 03:29 PM
baptist to the bone :cool:

Actually I consider myself to be a "Bapti-costal" -- Iam really a hybrid of Baptist and Pentacostal -- believe a lot of both, but not 100% either ......

literaryjoe
Dec 24th 2005, 03:42 PM
Starting when I was old enough to remember clearly (I specify because we attended a Bible Church before that, but I don't remember enough from that time of life to have an impression of what the church was like), I've attended Independent Fundamentalist Baptist, GARBC Baptist, Plymouth Brethren, Presbyterian, Evangelical Free, non-denominational, Missionary, Christian Missionary Alliance, and used to be Baptist but now is non-denominational churches.

So I think that officially makes me a "mutt", but I call it non-denominational. There were things I valued about each experience.

abidingone
Dec 24th 2005, 05:08 PM
Don't forget the Canadians . . .They can find a CMA church here ---> http://www.cmacan.org/

You mean to tell me Canadians attend church too?

Just kidding

Of course they do.

Thanks for that helpful link

disiple56
Dec 25th 2005, 03:33 PM
Episcopalian here.

Also, is the Salvation Army a church? :confused

I am a Nazarene. Nazarene, Weslyian, and Salvation Army all have the same doctrine. And yes, The Salvation Army is a church.

The moto of the Nazarene church is "called unto Holiness".

1Peter 1:15.
But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."

That don't mean we think anyone can be perfect, but God wouldn't command you to do anything that he won't enable you to do. This means we must totally turn away from sin.

Cassandra Dee
Dec 28th 2005, 01:11 AM
Pentecostal ~ Assemblies of God ~ am a member. :)

skc53
Dec 28th 2005, 02:53 PM
I'm a Christian first but I've been a Missionary Baptist all of my life.:pray: ;) :pp

Amadeus
Dec 28th 2005, 03:00 PM
I am a Nazarene. Nazarene, Weslyian, and Salvation Army all have the same doctrine. And yes, The Salvation Army is a church.

Ah, ok, I didn't know that. I'd always thought the SA was a Christian-oriented club or something.

I have some friends who are Nazarenes, and there's not much difference between their beliefs and mine. I think the major difference is only administrative, in that the Nazarenes do not believe in apostolic succession (which also is our difference with the Wesleyans and Methodists, even though the latter ordain bishops).

Eagle Eye
Feb 11th 2006, 02:00 PM
I go to a non-denominational Bible church, so I'm technically no denomination, but I did mark where you had the choice of Bible church (although it's technically not a denomination. ;) )
Same here. I put Penicostle. :D

JesusPhreak27
Feb 11th 2006, 03:20 PM
I personally was a non baptized baptist growing up but once Iwas saved I started going to my church now (Presbyterian)

I didnt join it because of the Presbyterian doctrine........ I dont care about any of that ....... I joined it because of the Pastor, the Mens and Womens groups and the youth group. My whole family is able to get involved. In all honesty the only thing I know about the Prebyterian faith is that Congress took its way of voting and representation from the original Presbyterians..... The funny thing is that our pastor is actually Baptist but God sent him up here to work. So its like he told us.....the church is almost non denominational. But the main thing that matters is that we worship God in His house.....

cheech
Feb 11th 2006, 03:35 PM
You forgot to add something on your page about Nazarenes:

They have great potlucks!!! :pp That was my first experience with them...well the service then the potluck...once I attended I was hooked! :lol:

I'm still learning about the church as we've only been there for about 3 years. Not too reserved yet not too wild...just in the middle where I like it :)

slightlypuzzled
Feb 11th 2006, 04:32 PM
Potluck huh? I love a church that has 'sustenance' for the soul? Any pizza or warm root beer? Hmmm, doctorine isn't everything ya' know.......

Right now...I attend the Chuch of Christ. But, if their potlucks don't get any better............

cheech
Feb 11th 2006, 04:36 PM
Potluck huh? I love a church that has 'sustenance' for the soul? Any pizza or warm root beer? Hmmm, doctorine isn't everything ya' know.......

Right now...I attend the Chuch of Christ. But, if their potlucks don't get any better............

hahaha...that was the first time I tried corn casserole...YUMMMMMMMMM

The potluck was it for me

bluescifiworm
Feb 11th 2006, 07:00 PM
I am Adventist....

Although, I was wondering something: What are your views on spiritual gifts? In the bible it mentions healing. teaching, and others. Do you think these abilitites are given by God in this day and age? If so, why? Just food for thought :)

Cassandra Dee
Feb 11th 2006, 09:55 PM
Since your question is off-topic, and has recently been discussed, allow me to direct you to the Maturing in Christ forum, to the thread entitled, "Spiritual Gifts."

serapha
Feb 12th 2006, 02:39 AM
Well,

;)

I used to go around singing "... Give me that ol' time religion, give me that ol' time religion, give me that ol' time religion..."

Until I saw that on the back of a wiccan's car. :o

Well, all I can say now is...

http://members.tripod.com/~Synergy_2/lyrics/oldtime.html
Everyone put your hands together :pp

<clap> <clap> <clap>

And tap those toes

<tap> <tap> <tap>

"It will do when I am dying.
It will do when I am dying.
It will do when I am dying.
And it's good enough for me."

All I can say is if you have a relationship with Jesus Christ that will do when you are dying... I'm not worried about you. :thumbsup:

~serapha~

YeshuaFollower
Feb 12th 2006, 02:41 AM
I am Christian. You either follow God or you don't.

MynameisMary
Feb 12th 2006, 03:01 AM
I checked Pentecostal, yet I dont believe it is a denomination..unless it has subdenominations? Oh well.....I am non denominational...who call their "style" or whatever Pentecostal....:confused: does that make sense?

WomanAtTheWell
Mar 12th 2006, 12:36 AM
I was raised Missouri Synod Lutheran. Fell off a long time ago. Whenever someone asks which denomination I am, I still always say Lutheran. Right now, I am trying to find my way. It will probably be in the Lutheran church, but a different synod than I was raised in because I feel most comfortable with the Lutheran style of worship.

As far as doctrine goes though, can anyone really say they believe ALL of the doctrine that their church professes? I also think that non-denominational churches have doctrine, even though some say they don't and may not have a written doctrine. (I could be wrong on this, though!)

YeshuaFollower
Mar 12th 2006, 01:25 AM
There is no such thing as a denomination.

Medved
Mar 12th 2006, 02:31 AM
my family is complete atheist i have no idea what my denomination is i have not been to church in about 2 years

Alf-The-Alien
Mar 12th 2006, 01:36 PM
This one probably covers them all:

Church of the Living God.

2 Corinthians 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

KTF

JonahII
Mar 15th 2006, 04:42 AM
I'm a Holy Roller for sure. I've attended Assembly of God, Foursquare Churches, or Calvary Chapels (mild) for years. I'm first and foremost a Christian without super strong denominational ties. I realize that I have brothers and sisters from a whole bunch of different churches. Thank God that in eternity there will be no denominations. I look forward to praising God through eternity with all creation.:cool:

student_au
Mar 27th 2006, 01:15 AM
born and risen as a non-Christian, firstly a Catholic seeker, then non denominational seeker, then Calvinistic Remormed theology believer, joined Seventh Day BAPTIST (yes, Seventh Day Baptist), but after more Bible study, found the brother church Seventh-day Adventist has more truths to offer.

blackpurl
Mar 28th 2006, 03:09 PM
non-denominational didn't seem to be an option!

That's what I usually choose.

I grew up Church of God, Anderson, Indiana

lynn04
Apr 2nd 2006, 12:38 AM
I'm also non-denominational but was raised pentecostal. (PAOC)

pnewton
Apr 2nd 2006, 02:54 AM
Raised as Baptist, where I was for the first 30 years of my life. Spent some time in a non-denom, charismatic and then evangelical free church, for about 5 years. I've been Catholic for the last ten years.

Alastair
Apr 3rd 2006, 12:00 AM
I go to a Lutheran Church although I am more in harmony with tha baptist beleifs in many area,s I am involved with my little church and thats dandy, But I would rather call my self mora a child of God than denominational.

King Herod
Apr 3rd 2006, 05:05 AM
I grew up in the Church of England, and now I attend a Church of Christ

matthew94
Sep 22nd 2007, 08:35 PM
bumpity bump bump

Cleo
Sep 22nd 2007, 08:47 PM
I am a Methodist (United Methodist).

anglican-cat
Sep 24th 2007, 11:47 AM
Anglican-Cat is a member of the Episcopal Church:lol:.......shocker eh!

GothicAngel
Sep 24th 2007, 01:50 PM
Roman Catholic.

Otter77
Sep 24th 2007, 08:47 PM
I faithfully attend and was saved and baptized at a very progressive Nazarene church. Congregation numbers only about 300 currently but growing dramatically every year.

matthew94
Sep 25th 2007, 01:54 AM
I faithfully attend and was saved and baptized at a very progressive Nazarene church. Congregation numbers only about 300 currently but growing dramatically every year.

I was part of a Nazarene church in college for a while. Good stuff.

Otter77
Sep 25th 2007, 02:08 AM
they're unbelievably fantastic... thanks Matthew!

Theophilus
Sep 27th 2007, 01:41 PM
I was part of a Nazarene church in college for a while. Good stuff.

they're unbelievably fantastic... thanks Matthew!

Well, Matthew 2:23 plainly shows that Jesus was a Nazarene...and in Acts 24:5, the Apostle Paul was also a member; in point of fact, Paul was a ringleader.

We're in good company!

;):lol:

Otter77
Sep 27th 2007, 07:10 PM
LMAO... thanks Theo!

I didn't even know that the church I loved was Nazarene for the first year I attended... basically until I finally took the membership class. At about 9 months I volunteered to stand in a booth at a local "fair" type event and told at least 30 or 40 people that I thought were just a non-denom. Christian church!

At least pastor found it amusing. :p

He also loves to tell the story about why I chose to come to that church.... which is basically... I was trying to get my annoying but friendly back-yard neighbors to quit annoying us about how we should go to their Church. So I went with intent to pick the place apart and complain....

and instead I was saved.

I have a much better testimonial than that but that's the first part! :)

anglican-cat
Sep 27th 2007, 11:35 PM
Well, Matthew 2:23 plainly shows that Jesus was a Nazarene...and in Acts 24:5, the Apostle Paul was also a member; in point of fact, Paul was a ringleader.

We're in good company!

;):lol:Is this sort of a John the Baptist was a Baptist kind of thing?:lol::):)

Tonton
Sep 28th 2007, 02:12 PM
I am non-dinominational. That is obviously not a denomination, but maybe would have fitted under "other", as non-dinominationalism is a statement on it's own.

Anton

catfriedrice
Nov 24th 2007, 03:46 AM
I must be the only FWB... who's responded anyway.

i'm #8 on your list. Free Will Baptist. Although I was raised most of my life in a Southern Baptist church, my roots and heart are FWB. In my mind, they are the only church I know (Well, maybe the one I attended) that didn't judge an individuals salvation based on what they've done wrong in life or which denomination they follow. I hope no one here in the Christian Church or Church of Christ denomination has ever been judged by a Baptist as one going to hell. I know the Southern Baptist church i attend seems to feel this way.

Amos_with_goats
Dec 10th 2007, 06:19 AM
What denomination was Christ?

There is no such thing as a denomination.

and...

I am Christian. You either follow God or you don't.

Yup

Follower of, and believer in, Christ.

GraceAbounds
Dec 10th 2007, 08:22 PM
I follow Christ.
I belong to no denomination.

Kat2911
Dec 10th 2007, 10:18 PM
I'm Nazarene. My husband is a pastor at our Nazarene church. I identify more with just being a Christian though. But there are quite a few distinctly Nazarene things (i.e. sanctification) that I believe in. DH is taking Nazarene classes at the moment.

Ayala
Dec 13th 2007, 05:30 AM
Calvary Chapel. :D

But first and foremost, I am a family member of the Lord.

Organist
Dec 13th 2007, 05:46 AM
Lutheran.
For past few years at a Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS) congregation.

Grew up and was confirmed in the American Lutheran Church, which merged about twenty years ago with two Lutheran denominations and formed the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). Liked them much better not as picky and fussy about doctrine.

For those who are not familiar, the Lutheran church bodies in the United States were formed along and today still retain ethnic lines from Europe, with the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS) and the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS) consisting of people from Germany, wheras the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America is filled with folks from the Scandnavian countries where Lutheranism really took root.

Kat2911
Dec 13th 2007, 10:12 PM
Lutheran.
For past few years at a Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS) congregation.

Grew up and was confirmed in the American Lutheran Church, which merged about twenty years ago with two Lutheran denominations and formed the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). Liked them much better not as picky and fussy about doctrine.

For those who are not familiar, the Lutheran church bodies in the United States were formed along and today still retain ethnic lines from Europe, with the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS) and the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS) consisting of people from Germany, wheras the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America is filled with folks from the Scandnavian countries where Lutheranism really took root.
Organist - I've always wondered (growing up Catholic myself) do Lutherans believe in transubstantiation?

Organist
Dec 14th 2007, 06:26 AM
Organist - I've always wondered (growing up Catholic myself) do Lutherans believe in transubstantiation?

Let's see if I can explain this correctly. Lutherans, just like Catholics, believe that Christ is truly/really present in the Eucharist. Thus, our doctrine of the "Real Presence" of Christ in Communion. However, unlike Catholics we do not believe that the Clergy-celebrant "transforms" the bread and wine into Christ's body and blood as the Catholic doctrine of transubstantion teaches. Instead, Lutherans teach that the bread and wine received in communion are body and blood of Christ, because our Lord himself told us is scripture this "is my body" and this "is my blood" and accordingly Christ in a miraculous manner is present "in, with, and under the bread and wine." It is our use from these terms: in, with, and under, that our doctrine of "Consubstantiation" is named ("con" being the Latin root word meaning "with").

That is the fancy theological understanding, but since you asked I'll go on a little further with what I know more about and that is the structure and Music of the Catholic Mass and Lutheran Communion service (by have in past been called as a substitute to come and pluck around on keyboard for Saturday night mass). During Catholic Masss after the Sanctus (Holy, Holy, Holy) is sung the priest begins the prayer of consecration of which the account of Christ's last supper and his words are a part of the prayer. The Lutheran Communion Service differs at this point. After the Sanctus is sung, we go immeditly a reading from scripture of the account of the last supper and the words Christ spoke. It is my understanding that it is because Lutherans do not believe in transubstantion the idea of the "transforming" the earthly elements that the lengthy prayer of the Catholic Mass has historically been omitted in Lutheran Churches and only those the Biblical words read during worship.

That being said over the past twenty years or so Eucharist Prayers have begun to be introduced in Lutheran Churches and used at least occasionally. More often in ELCA congregations, less frequently in the LCMS, and to date still rejected by those in the WELS.

Hope this answers your question.

Kat2911
Dec 14th 2007, 03:30 PM
Let's see if I can explain this correctly. Lutherans, just like Catholics, believe that Christ is truly/really present in the Eucharist. Thus, our doctrine of the "Real Presence" of Christ in Communion. However, unlike Catholics we do not believe that the Clergy-celebrant "transforms" the bread and wine into Christ's body and blood as the Catholic doctrine of transubstantion teaches. Instead, Lutherans teach that the bread and wine received in communion are body and blood of Christ, because our Lord himself told us is scripture this "is my body" and this "is my blood" and accordingly Christ in a miraculous manner is present "in, with, and under the bread and wine." It is our use from these terms: in, with, and under, that our doctrine of "Consubstantiation" is named ("con" being the Latin root word meaning "with").

That is the fancy theological understanding, but since you asked I'll go on a little further with what I know more about and that is the structure and Music of the Catholic Mass and Lutheran Communion service (by have in past been called as a substitute to come and pluck around on keyboard for Saturday night mass). During Catholic Masss after the Sanctus (Holy, Holy, Holy) is sung the priest begins the prayer of consecration of which the account of Christ's last supper and his words are a part of the prayer. The Lutheran Communion Service differs at this point. After the Sanctus is sung, we go immeditly a reading from scripture of the account of the last supper and the words Christ spoke. It is my understanding that it is because Lutherans do not believe in transubstantion the idea of the "transforming" the earthly elements that the lengthy prayer of the Catholic Mass has historically been omitted in Lutheran Churches and only those the Biblical words read during worship.

That being said over the past twenty years or so Eucharist Prayers have begun to be introduced in Lutheran Churches and used at least occasionally. More often in ELCA congregations, less frequently in the LCMS, and to date still rejected by those in the WELS.

Hope this answers your question.
That answers my question perfectly. Thank you so much! :)

catfriedrice
Dec 14th 2007, 10:06 PM
What denomination was Christ?

That would be better asked "What denomination was Paul?" (or Peter, or John, or etc).. Jesus is the root of all denominations so you can't put him in one. Technically, he was Jewish.

singdenver
Dec 15th 2007, 03:12 AM
I was raised Catholic, now I'm Nazarene.

Otter77
Dec 15th 2007, 08:45 PM
I was raised Catholic, now I'm Nazarene.

w00t! You're a Nazarene *and* in the Denver area (me too!)

chances that we go to the same Church are now 1 in about 20 or 30... ;)

... since I cant sent you a private message yet.... I'll just ask...

Does your church's name include a "T" and a "C" as the two major characters?

or is it more like a WCON?

SweetCharity
Dec 16th 2007, 04:09 PM
Church of Christ here:pp

DaniB
Dec 16th 2007, 11:53 PM
Non denom. and to me, it's offensive to lump all non denom under fundamentalists.

taddy
Dec 27th 2007, 10:36 PM
For some reason, when I voted, I did not reply. I am Pentecostal. The church I attend is Church of God, HQ: Cleveland Tenn.

Taddy

blueshadow
Dec 31st 2007, 11:07 PM
I picked Pentecostal, since the denomination I currently go to (Foursquare) is closest to that than anything else in the poll. I think they are more charismatic than pentecostal, though. I spent most of my childhood in an Episcopal church, though.

Atrandomdutch
Jan 1st 2008, 02:23 PM
I was raised in a family that refused ( and refuses) any denominational stamps to be put on them, but their theology comes closest to pentecostlism. I'm personally in the proces of becoming a Roman Catholic.

Christ-4-D
Jan 1st 2008, 08:59 PM
Presbyterian for me :)

taddy
Jan 14th 2008, 10:14 PM
The correct term is Pentecostal, not Pentecostalism.

Pentecostal and Charismatic are 2 completely separate denominations.

Tad

Athanasius
Jan 15th 2008, 02:22 AM
The correct term is Pentecostal, not Pentecostalism.

Pentecostal and Charismatic are 2 completely separate denominations.

Tad

Pentacostalism is an older term--relating to movements from 1886, 1904 etc.
Though to say, they did use to be a lot 'closer' than they are now; Pentecostals, Charismatics and Neo-Pentecostals/Charismatics.

PentecostalMan
Jan 18th 2008, 03:59 AM
I'm a Christian first and foremost... but I do have strong Pentecostal beliefs... or Full-Gospel beliefs...

taddy
Jan 19th 2008, 09:56 PM
Though I stand by my post, I will not debate it. Tad

My heart's Desire
Jan 21st 2008, 05:06 AM
I'm a member of the blood bought Church of the redeemed in Jesus! Although I did vote. :)

baxpack7
Mar 18th 2008, 09:00 PM
We are a Christian family, non-denominational(house church)

JimC in NM
Feb 9th 2009, 05:23 AM
Baptist (Southern), but I come from a family with roots in the Missionary Baptist and Primitive Baptist traditions, as well as some Methodists. Even among Southern Baptists, there is quite a variety of thought, with some very Calvinist congregations, and others pretty Arminian. I fall somewhere in between. I agree with many in this thread, though, I'm a Christian first, save by God's Grace, and a Baptist by choice. (also, my little church has potlucks every third Sunday, right after the worship service. What a great time for fellowship, and I'll put our potlucks up against anyone's! :D

jesse
Aug 16th 2012, 12:06 AM
I think i would fall into the "brethren" category although I am not totally sure what the Church of God Anderson is: but I would try to distance myself from the normal Church of God denomination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brethren

I would attend any kind of Plymouth Brethren Gospel Hall or currently I go to a Gospel Assembly which is awesome.
Dispensational, Premillenial, using a historical, grammatical, literal, interpretation of Scripture. Although I am not Calvinist or Arminian so I disagree with almost all famous preachers or brethren on the issue of election such as Sir Robert Anderson, Dr. Charles Ryrie etc..

Watchman
Aug 16th 2012, 02:43 AM
Holy 3.5 years deadthread resurrection, Batman! And the Saducees said this couldn't happen! :lol: But since I'm here, I'm a Christian. I have taken the Name of Christ, and want no other.

W :)

-SEEKING-
Aug 16th 2012, 02:51 AM
Is it Easter already?

Galatians 2:21
Aug 16th 2012, 08:37 AM
I am an Old Regular Baptist by choice(and I feel that God led me there from the git go), and a child of the King through Grace.

Boo
Aug 16th 2012, 09:33 AM
I really don't know. I haven't yet found a church that appears to follow scripture as I see it written. I guess I would have to say that I am part of the body of Christ Jesus without any other title.

I have heard that there is a church 40 miles away that comes close, but I have yet to go there and see.

Liquid Tension
Aug 16th 2012, 09:58 AM
Is it Easter already?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

GaryMac
Aug 16th 2012, 11:12 AM
I am not a member of an orginized religion, I am a son of God with Christ residing in my being.

turtledove
Aug 16th 2012, 12:52 PM
4Square. ...(Pentecostal)

AndrewBaptistFL
Aug 16th 2012, 12:56 PM
I’ve been attending a Christian & Missionary Alliance church.

grandma dolittle
Aug 18th 2012, 01:02 AM
I am a member of a small country Free Will Baptist church. I was brought up in that church, although membership has fallen away over the years. I feel God presence in that church and if I didn't, I would leave because I am a child of God and I go to his house to worship him, not to socialize.

grandma

MyCoolUsername
Aug 20th 2012, 02:51 AM
I am a member of the Churches of Christ if anyone cares? :)

Boo
Aug 20th 2012, 09:46 AM
I am a member of the Churches of Christ if anyone cares? :)

With or without instrumental music?

MyCoolUsername
Aug 20th 2012, 01:21 PM
without................

Watchman
Aug 20th 2012, 06:00 PM
Hey MyCoolUsername,

Long time, no see. Hope you're well. I know of only two CofC congregations that use instruments in their services. One is in Dallas and the other in Oklahoma City. As far as I know, in the US, these are the only two. What relevance hath this to the topic at hand? I trow that I knoweth not. :D

Boo
Aug 21st 2012, 12:00 AM
Hey MyCoolUsername,

Long time, no see. Hope you're well. I know of only two CofC congregations that use instruments in their services. One is in Dallas and the other in Oklahoma City. As far as I know, in the US, these are the only two. What relevance hath this to the topic at hand? I trow that I knoweth not. :D

Because I would be interested in seeing one. I really don't care for the acapella music in their services and I heard that there are those which do use instruments. I was led to believe that they are more common than you seem to believe. It was just a matter of interest - no hidden agenda.