PDA

View Full Version : What translation do you prefer to memorize in?

literaryjoe
Apr 20th 2006, 07:06 PM
When you are memorizing Scripture, what is your favorite translation to use? Or do you vary?

ESV
HCSB
KJV
NKJV
NIV
TNIV
NRSV
NASB
NLT
NET
The Jerusalem Bible
The New Jerusalem Bible
Complete Jewish Bible
RSV
Varies

WomanAtTheWell
Apr 20th 2006, 07:08 PM
I guess this might seem strange... I VERY rarely read the KJV, but all of the verses I memorized as a child are from the King James, so when I am remember Bible verses, I remember King James. So, I guess I would still say that I would prefer to memorize the King James version.;)

Frances
Apr 20th 2006, 07:12 PM
Which is probably why I prefer NKJV.

Slug1
Apr 20th 2006, 07:18 PM
Since the only version I own is an NIV then that's what I'd memorize scripture in.

Sigh... yet another reminder I need to put some scripture to memory :rolleyes:

Theophilus
Apr 20th 2006, 07:21 PM
KJV...'cause I never get any flack quoting Scripture from that translation. ;)

Joanna Joy
Apr 21st 2006, 12:59 AM
I selected it varies.

Every verse I memorized growing up and in college, I memorized in KJV, so that's what I continue to memorize in when I'm memorizing for my own purposes, (even though I love my NIV).

When our kids were little their Sunday School memory verses were always in NIV, so I relearned a lot of verses in NIV. I didn't really get confused, but I might have to think about which version I was quoting when we'd be reviewing in the car or something.

Then they started AWANA and the handbooks were in NKJV. Between being a leader and working on sections with our kids at home, I relearned a lot of familiar verses in a third version and that pushed me over the edge. Now I often start a verse in one version and switch over midway without even realizing it, so I don't like to quote from memory in a group unless I have to.

My kids say it's because I'm getting old. DH teases that it's because I was getting a little bit too proud of myself. :blush: He's joking, but there might be a tiny grain of truth in there. :(

WomanAtTheWell
Apr 21st 2006, 01:02 AM
This isn't really about Bible verses, but other stuff we say in Church is different now. So, I find myself having to read or I end up saying things the "old way". Like the Apostles Creed, I always want to say "the quick and the dead" and other parts that I know by heart in the old way.

Alive-Indeed
Apr 21st 2006, 05:19 AM
Encouragement to anyone who would like to memorize:

Apart from a handful of verses after I first got saved, I did not start memorizing until August last year and I really believed that I could not do it, as my memory is awful. So if I can do it, anyone can do it ~ by the grace of God!!

Memorizing is like learning a new hobby or a game. At first it's hard and awkward, then pretty soon it gets a lot easier...but you have to stick with it for awhile. I also found it's a lot easier to memorize a passage, because there is context and it flows together.

It only takes five minutes a day to work on a verse or a half a verse. Find a time that you already have a daily habit ~ for example, during your regular Bible reading time or lunch hour. Writing it on an index card and putting it in a pocket or wallet to have handy to refer to when you have a break or are standing in line can also be helpful.

Having an accountibility partner is great asset! That's how we got started ~ a friend and I choose 2 passages we wanted to memorize together. Then we recited them to one another. Our friendship has delightfully grown, as we converse about the scripture we are working on and pray it.

Memorizing passages are particularly rewarding...the Holy Spirit uses the verses to teach you things you never understood before and calls you to action. The words of Jesus are particularly powerful. And you will find you are naturally praying scripture and sharing the Word with others.

Memorizing: It's challenging! It's fun! It's rewarding! It's a blessing! :spin:

Soooooo....find yourself a verse or passage you love and get to workin' on it! You'll be thankful that you did! Glory be to God!

"O how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day." Psalm 119:97

If anyone else has tips ~ please post them for us!

River of Eden
Apr 21st 2006, 05:27 AM
As a child my father would always read from the KJV. I would sit and listen to him read for long periods of time. I have always read from it and I have no problem memorizing from the KJV.:)

Alastair
Apr 21st 2006, 07:02 PM
I prefer the KJV if its something I am going to share with others and especialy the psalms and proverbs. Otherwize I use my own Nelson word. its easy to memorize and read, But I am cautious of the wat it is written

TrustGzus
Apr 21st 2006, 08:04 PM
If I'm memorizing a verse in one version, it's usually the NIV unless I have good reason to think the NIV badly misses the mark on a verse. My reason is that often when talking to people or teaching, I'll quote paragraphs or sometimes chapters by memory and the NIV is in today's venacular.

Though there are several verses that I have memorized in more than one translation. I have a ton memorized in KJV and NKJV.

Grace & peace,

Joe

literaryjoe
Apr 21st 2006, 08:15 PM
My problem has been that depending on which era of my life the verse was memorized in it was in a different version. Early on the KJV, but from about 8 to 16 the NKJV, from 16 to 21 the NIV, from 21 to 31 the NASB, and for the last couple years from mostly ESV, but I varied from one to another as I tried to settle on a particular version to use.

In the meantime, I study in mostly NASB, but check a whole lot of different versions, and anymore I have trouble saying almost any verse that I haven't just recently memorized. The old memory gets jumbled up with the recent reading, and I can paraphrase, but it's almost impossible to quote verbatim.

I have found some success in just going back to whatever version I first memorized a passage in and being content with that. But for the future, I've determined to memorize in only ESV, just to maintain consistency.

However, recently I began to doubt the wisdom of that choice, because I know I spend so much time in the NASB.

I've also found that the NASB sticks in my head the easiest, and the NIV is the most difficult to get really stuck in there solidly.

I've been working on Psalm 145 in the NIV because my small group had more NIV readers than anything else, and the Sermon on the Mount in the NASB, because I'm memorizing it with my partner from work.

<throws up hands> oh well, I figure no effort at memorization is energy wasted, but now I have a new urgency as I try to decide what version to have my kids memorize in!!!

Alastair
Apr 21st 2006, 10:13 PM
I would recomend that you let them memorize a kids version:D

P.P.P.
Apr 21st 2006, 11:04 PM
I have and use most of the translations listed, so I would say that my memorization varies, depending on what translation I have in my hand. For my kids, I prefer to use either the NLT or the GWT (God's Word Translation).

Alive-Indeed
Apr 21st 2006, 11:22 PM
I've been working on Psalm 145 in the NIV because my small group had more NIV readers than anything else, and the Sermon on the Mount in the NASB, because I'm memorizing it with my partner from work.

That's wonderful that you have someone at work to memorize with! I've memorized with 3 different people and none of us have ever used the same version. Which in some ways has been nice, because sometimes one verison sheds light on a verse to the other person, when the two of you discuss it. Anyway, lol...what we do when we recite is, we find the other person's version, so we can follow along with one another...therefore we don't have memorize in the same version. It seems to have worked well.

<throws up hands> oh well, I figure no effort at memorization is energy wasted,
:amen: AND :amen:

but now I have a new urgency as I try to decide what version to have my kids memorize in!!!

I agree with Alastair...go with a version that makes sense to them (yet isn't way out there). That way it'll not only be easier for them to memorize, but also easier to apply if they understand what it's saying. Even when they grow up and use another version and mix translations, it's OK, 'cus as you so well said above: "no effort at memorization is energy wasted"!! The Holy Spirit *will* use it all! Ask God for wisdom and He will give it to you!! :yes:

Diggindeeper
Apr 22nd 2006, 12:14 AM
The KJV, because that's all we had when I was a girl, and memorizing and memorizing. And I still retain it best.

Alastair
Apr 22nd 2006, 07:25 PM
I have to admit that as a child the KJV in small print was all that was available too us. I don,t remember very much of what we memorized at all, But one thing I do remember was the pictures in the book. memorizing the story by the picture is very smart:)

BadDog
Apr 24th 2006, 01:55 AM
Many moons ago I got started memorizing scripture in the Navigators. They only had the KJV and the RSV at first. So I chose the RSV. I've memorized probably 80% of my verses in it. The rest are the NASB, KJV and even the Living Bible in a couple.

BD

humbled
Apr 24th 2006, 02:05 AM
I find that I have already memorized at least parts of Scripture in the KJV or NKJV. Usually when I do a search for a word or set of words, its in these translations.

heh...its funny because I read the NASB and ESV most regularly :) I'll do a search in that version and not find it until I search in the other ones.

I started my Christian life typing out the Bible in the NKJV so that's probably why ;)

Good poll :)

literaryjoe
Apr 24th 2006, 03:22 PM
I find that I have already memorized at least parts of Scripture in the KJV or NKJV. Usually when I do a search for a word or set of words, its in these translations.

heh...its funny because I read the NASB and ESV most regularly :) I'll do a search in that version and not find it until I search in the other ones.

I started my Christian life typing out the Bible in the NKJV so that's probably why ;)

Good poll :)LOL, I really relate to that. I'll be searching for a particular verse in e-Sword and be getting really frustrated because I've searched for several words or phrases that I know are in the passage I'm looking for, and sure enough when I finally take a second and ponder, then do the search in the NKJV or KJV, there it is!

Jollyrogers
May 12th 2006, 06:32 PM
I prefer the NIV or ASV but a friend gave me a Dake's study bible that is in KJV format. I have it in the truck with me.

itsme23
May 22nd 2006, 02:32 AM
King James only for me.

Soj
Jan 17th 2007, 11:18 PM
The Authorised Version of course!

There can be only one. :D

Keemah
Jan 18th 2007, 03:19 AM
I have the Complete Jewish Bible, and read it frequently, but I am still mainly a KJV-er.

FoG
Jan 18th 2007, 12:01 PM
KJV - it's easier for me

skc53
Jan 18th 2007, 09:48 PM
I just like the good old KJV.

Soj
Jan 18th 2007, 11:20 PM
The KJV is a masterpiece given to us by the Master.

Proverbs 7:1-3 My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee. Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye. Bind them upon thy fingers, write them upon the table of thine heart.

The_Evelyonian
Jan 26th 2007, 02:35 AM
The New King James Version for me

karenoka27
Apr 15th 2007, 10:44 PM
I guess this might seem strange... I VERY rarely read the KJV, but all of the verses I memorized as a child are from the King James, so when I am remember Bible verses, I remember King James. So, I guess I would still say that I would prefer to memorize the King James version.;)

I love to memorize in KJV as well. I love to memorize verses, and the only problem is sometimes when I get caught up in it, I start writing and talking like it.
Dear so and so,
Thou hath cometh into my thoughts today, I did believe I should writeth you and let you know that I have prayed for you upon my remembrance of you.
loveth, karen

:rofl:

TrustingFollower
Apr 20th 2007, 02:20 PM
Karen, you are too funny.

I just started to memorize verses. I read the NASB most so that is what I am trying to put to memory.

One way that my Mom told my to try , is to write the verse on the bathroom mirror with a dry erase marker. You would be surprised at how many time a day you will end up reading the verse.

JesusPhreak27
Apr 20th 2007, 03:36 PM
I had to go with NIV but Ill use that translation MOSTLY but I also ust the Good News Translation and The Message.

Cloudwalker
Apr 21st 2007, 10:33 PM
I guess you would have to say that most of the verses I know are in CWIV (Cloudwalker International Version). I have memorized a good number in King James but have a number of others that I have learned in other translations and quite a few others that I know what it says but may not have the exact wording down. And I don't always know exactly where it is found (however, give me some time and I'll find it). The mix comes up the Cloudwalker International Version. The people in my church often hear me quoting a relavant scripture in any discussion. God brings them to my mind and I quote them. However, He can't bring to your mind something you haven't put there. As Paul says "study to show yourself approved a workman rightly dividing the Word of Truth."

DreamWeaver
Apr 22nd 2007, 12:56 AM
I can't vote, cause you don't have mine. I generally use the Amplified Bible, and back that up with the KJV.

Steve M
Apr 24th 2007, 06:47 PM
LOL, I really relate to that. I'll be searching for a particular verse in e-Sword and be getting really frustrated because I've searched for several words or phrases that I know are in the passage I'm looking for, and sure enough when I finally take a second and ponder, then do the search in the NKJV or KJV, there it is!
You just described the process I go through every time I have to look a verse up. I tend to try to grab verses out of the NIV when I'm sharing with others, because I've found they respond better to it. But all my verses were memorized from the NKJV--which I do my reading in--or the KJV, which I use a lot too!

The head spins.

Then my NASB, ESV, and all the other variants I've downloaded in e-sword just to see if there's any significant differences on certain verses...

I'm a confused little boy.

Oh, the Amplified is good sometimes. But check the opening page. Some of those notes are just glosses, DreamWeaver. (I am not a fan of glosses)

Called
Apr 24th 2007, 06:51 PM
NLT.... it's easy to remember and makes it easy for friends to get it.

Jemma Ash
Apr 24th 2007, 07:01 PM
Well I have an NIV bible...but the new church that my dad preaches at uses the NKJV, i find it dificult to follow the NKJV and my dad finds it difficult to read...its soo wordy...but each to their own...(or whatever it is).

SammeyDW
Apr 30th 2007, 04:29 PM
You just described the process I go through every time I have to look a verse up. I tend to try to grab verses out of the NIV when I'm sharing with others, because I've found they respond better to it. But all my verses were memorized from the NKJV--which I do my reading in--or the KJV, which I use a lot too!

The head spins.

Then my NASB, ESV, and all the other variants I've downloaded in e-sword just to see if there's any significant differences on certain verses...

I'm a confused little boy.

Oh, the Amplified is good sometimes. But check the opening page. Some of those notes are just glosses, DreamWeaver. (I am not a fan of glosses)

Glosses?
Example please.
I think I know what you are talking about but not sure.